Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2010, 16:36   #646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machdar View Post
That looks like a 112 S class predecessor to the 108. Nice pics. Where is bangalore is this getting restored? Do you know the owner?
No I do not know the owner. I will PM you the details.
Old 20th February 2010, 16:45   #647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harit my man,

Well to be honest I am yet to speak to the owner my friend who sent me the pics is the link in between. I am told its GDS and not sure of wheter its here or in Goa. Was promised the keys, papers and car this weekend. It is owned by a famous family of Goa (or that' s what I have been told).

I will safely assume you now know more than I do about this car! So tell me more..

Is 2.75 (that's what its stuck at as of now) reasonable? I hope you have not heard a better price?

And thanx
I have sent a PM to you with the owners name and number.
How could you openly mention pricing.
Never mind, seems to be a good deal. I only forgot to ask about the steering, assisted, but how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Well Machdar, have you gone through the photo album of this Mercedes?. My friend Frederick Nororonha has informed me that this car might be at Loutolim. Is that correct?
This car was owned by a friend who sold it to Bangalore, to another Benz collector. It will be there.

Cheers harit

Last edited by v12 : 23rd February 2010 at 12:13. Reason: A certain comment in this thread started an argument. Hence deleting this comment and other posts. Will PM you.
Old 20th February 2010, 16:48   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilgee View Post
123/240 D / 1984 Model,midnight blue, direct import to Kerala from Dubai in 1993,special order RHD, has done 180,000kms.Despite the mileage the car has been well maintained and does not show its age.

Cheers,
SG
Man this is one intact W123 she indeed defines a show quality tag often misused by folks looking to sell mediocre cars as top class/condition Is that factory paint? Now this guy really knows how to use his car 180K Km's and this condition WOW I suppose she must have run a lot of the 180k before she touched our shores in 93?

I recall you out some more MB pics in front of that same house recently and I saw a wine red 190 (w201) in the background some more pics of her please. Is she a diesel too?
Old 20th February 2010, 16:50   #649
BHPian

Hi harit,

Sorry to post pricing publicly! I assumed everyone was recommending the right pricing to me! I sent you a PM and keen to hear from you on the same.

I am checking the car, papers etc tomorrow so will be back with some good news, info, pictures etc.

Thanks Harit
Old 20th February 2010, 16:53   #650
Senior - BHPian

Nice car Sunilgee. Now thats the kind of a car one must buy.

Quote:
That looks like a 112 S class predecessor to the 108. Nice pics. Where is bangalore is this getting restored? Do you know the owner?
What made you think its a W112? More likely a W111.
Please stop looking at any other car Machdar, get on with buying the one you posted, if you loose it in amongst all this discussion, you will have only yourself to blame. Please GO GET THAT CAR----NOW!!
Old 20th February 2010, 17:40   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This car was owned by a friend who sold it to Bangalore, to another Benz collector. It will be there.Cheers harit
Ahaa then as usual Frederick Nororonha is wrong. Do you remember the name of that restaurant on this side of Kennedy Bridge where all the car brokers used to sit in the old days?
I hope Machdar gets to see this car tomorrow and is able to take a decision. I'm sure there are many more buddies are after this. Hurry Machdar Hurry!!!

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 20th February 2010 at 17:45.
Old 20th February 2010, 22:46   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Ahaa then as usual Frederick Nororonha is wrong. Do you remember the name of that restaurant on this side of Kennedy Bridge where all the car brokers used to sit in the old days?
I hope Machdar gets to see this car tomorrow and is able to take a decision. I'm sure there are many more buddies are after this. Hurry Machdar Hurry!!!
Yes I remember. That restaurant is still around, I think that they sold lots and lots of chai. There were a number of characters around, Anna and his boys who could clean a car that he had a clientile who drove all the way from Malabar Hill to get their car cleaned. And ofcourse all the dealers. Raghu, the wizzard electrician who "clocked" the cars. Brokers like Polly, he is still around. And nearby Nehru used to live, he is now a builder. Whom did you know?

Cheers harit
Old 21st February 2010, 19:33   #653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whom did you know?
A certain Mr Disa sold my dad a couple of cars lived in Anita Building on Malabar Hill.
Old 21st February 2010, 20:02   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Man this is one intact W123 she indeed defines a show quality tag often misused by folks looking to sell mediocre cars as top class/condition Is that factory paint? Now this guy really knows how to use his car 180K Km's and this condition WOW I suppose she must have run a lot of the 180k before she touched our shores in 93?

I recall you out some more MB pics in front of that same house recently and I saw a wine red 190 (w201) in the background some more pics of her please. Is she a diesel too?
Yup! factory paint, one mudguard has been touched up.This car had covered only 3000kms in Dubai, the rest of the mileage was done here and considering our roads and the traffic the previous owner has really looked
after her.

The W201 is a fully loaded American version 2.6 litre 6 cyl. petrol with an auto transmission, would have been still better if it was a manual...but all in all a nice pocket rocket...maximum bang for the buck!!

Cheers,
SG
Old 21st February 2010, 20:23   #655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I remember. That restaurant is still around, I think that they sold lots and lots of chai. There were a number of characters around, Anna and his boys who could clean a car that he had a clientile who drove all the way from Malabar Hill to get their car cleaned. And ofcourse all the dealers. Raghu, the wizzard electrician who "clocked" the cars. Brokers like Polly, he is still around. And nearby Nehru used to live, he is now a builder. Whom did you know?

Cheers harit
The restaurant now has a new name. It was called cafe something.....was it cafe Surya. I remember the now deceased Jimmy and Surjit Singh, both wonderfully honest brokers, a rare breed today if not extict. Then there was Kirit Pappa, a lovable old Gujrati gent. We all called him Pappa, not papa but pappa, as a Gujrati would call his dad. He used to live in Nepeansea road but has now moved to Kandivilli so we dont see him a lot. He still calls though.
Old 21st February 2010, 21:41   #656
BHPian

hi sunil what a car i think its the best 123 posted on tbhp and of course south has the best 123 well looked after i have been all over to see 123s all average cars even mumbai so keep posting such cars in this thread
Old 21st February 2010, 23:13   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I remember. That restaurant is still around, I think that they sold lots and lots of chai. There were a number of characters around, Anna and his boys who could clean a car that he had a clientile who drove all the way from Malabar Hill to get their car cleaned. And ofcourse all the dealers. Raghu, the wizzard electrician who "clocked" the cars. Brokers like Polly, he is still around. And nearby Nehru used to live, he is now a builder. Whom did you know?Cheers harit
yes I hear it is still there but changed a bit. Knew Menon, Rao, Jagdish, Eddie Pinto and Kirit Pappa. Of them Pinto and Pappa were close to a friend of mine and hence knew them better, so in a way they were both special. They used to speak of the days gone by, and how they sold cars of and to the big shots. Khatau's etc. An dhow they sometimes had a chance to keep a margin or gala. I last went there in 97 or 98 and met Eddie and he was in a bad state. I felt terrible. He was a bachelor and we used to tease him about this Girlfriend and that, and he'd blush away.Yes lots of chai and those were good days. Pappa came from a very good family and I thought he lived in Malabar hill. Heard he lost his house and moved to the suburbs. Like V-16 wote the rest. Most of them have passed away and so the good days are gone.
V-16 can you PM me Pappa's phone number if you have it. Thanks in Advance

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 21st February 2010 at 23:23.
Old 21st February 2010, 23:28   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilgee View Post
123/240 D / 1984 Model,midnight blue, direct import to Kerala from Dubai in 1993,special order RHD, has done 180,000kms.Despite the mileage the car has been well maintained and does not show its age.

Cheers,
SG
Dear Sunilgee- simply LOVE this car, by far the best w123 i've seen. It looks like this car has done 18k kms not 180k. Wish there are enough w123s till the time i get the time, money and most importantly space to have a 123.

Last edited by kavesh55 : 21st February 2010 at 23:32.
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:12   #659
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

Thank You for the support and the much needed encouragement. I saw the car, papers etc yesterday. And I am not picking it up! There is the duty/tax issue making this car too expensive to buy and then restore. Its sad to see a beauty slowly die but the laws are stupid and thus will have to skip this one. It came into india from UK and now the RTO wants their pound of flesh to transfer to my name.

A sad ending to a great hunt!

Thank You guys for everything

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And classic mercs to find before I sleep.
Old 22nd February 2010, 16:28   #660
BHPian

Hey Canonball,

I know a sad ending to an exciting build up but its okay. Everything happens for good! I am sure all our fellow bhpian friends wished only the best for me.

Anyways My hunt has brought me to a new find. A ponton ! Yes a ponton only issue is it has no engine. Do you think its worth a look? You know anyone who would have a ponton donor engine?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks