Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2010, 17:05   #661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machdar View Post
A ponton ! Yes a ponton only issue is it has no engine. Do you think its worth a look? You know anyone who would have a ponton donor engine?
What engine? Petrol or diesel? First locate an engine then Grab Her!!!
Old 22nd February 2010, 17:08   #662
Senior - BHPian

Sure as long as the papers are in order and taxes!, depending on which state registration you are going to keep her in there are some RTO guidelines regarding engine replacement/placement consult Joy/Kadam in bangelore they may know their way around this for KA. I will help you find a REAL lead as I have nothing to loose but the condition is buy her only if you fix her immdediately and not have her like some junk lying around and also use her regularly!

I can check on the engine but you need to get the engine spec mentioned on her papers etc first even mole in Mumbai will give you genuine help.

Make a checklist/laundry list of basics that the owner must respond to/you could ask before even taking things beyond a phone call.

Last edited by canonball : 22nd February 2010 at 17:15.
Old 22nd February 2010, 18:13   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Thank You for the support and the much needed encouragement. I saw the car, papers etc yesterday. And I am not picking it up! There is the duty/tax issue making this car too expensive to buy and then restore. Its sad to see a beauty slowly die but the laws are stupid and thus will have to skip this one. It came into india from UK and now the RTO wants their pound of flesh to transfer to my name.
Sorry to hear that you had to sjip this car. But i really cannot understand what the problem is. Does it have huge tax arrears?
Also, what's the car coming from the UK have anything to do with it now? It was originally registered a long time back na? I don't think there should be any problem in transferring it now. And i really don't think the RTO will look at the import papers etc for such an old car.
Old 22nd February 2010, 18:39   #664
BHPian

i think it was a wise decision as i went through some rough patches with the RTO.as soon as the RTO officer sees the mercedes benz name on the RC book he opens his mouth wide.to get my car FC checked with transfers they gave me alot of tension.its not easy at all

Last edited by nandishpal : 22nd February 2010 at 18:40.
Old 22nd February 2010, 19:22   #665
BHPian

Hi JayD,

The RTO is quite painful. Anyways now am over it and concentrating on the Ponton. So far some of you reckon its a buy without a engine inside, that's motivating. Lets see where this hunt goes!
Old 22nd February 2010, 20:11   #666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Canonball,
Everything happens for good! I am sure all our fellow bhpian friends wished only the best for me.

Anyways My hunt has brought me to a new find. A ponton ! Yes a ponton only issue is it has no engine. Do you think its worth a look? You know anyone who would have a ponton donor engine?
Thanks Machdar, for maturely understanding the gist and the essence of our posts and this thread. For those who came in late or didn't understand, this forum is all about a common passion we share and the help we can give and get from others who share this passion.

Im excited at your Ponton now and at the risk of being handed criticism from the more knowledgeable, ill still say that if the price is right, pick that one up too or if i may say so, "Grab It"

One has to understand two things in circumstances like these;

1) these cars are rare and getting rarer
2) they are expensive and only going to get dearer
3) there is a possibility of finding an engine (albeit at a price) sometime in the future.
4) the price they are offered to you should be very attractive. Its very easy to say, the price is not X but should be way less". Such persons rarely come across an opportunity where one is able to get a similar car for the their price. Its easy to offer peanuts but then one can only buy monkeys for that price. Not saying offer the world, see what suits you, ascertain the pros and cons, see how much you want it for and then make a realistic offer. If the price does not suit you, look for something else.

Please share with us what and why the W108 is not workable. Unless the car is a consulate car, the duties should have been paid and you owe nothing to the customs or RTO for that. If they are claiming some kind of unpaid taxes, get a Vintage certificate from your local vintage club certifying the car as a classic, the taxes will reduce drastically. Maybe someone can help you buy the car of your dreams. In the meanwhile follow the ponton lead only if all body garnishes and interior bits are in perfect order.

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd February 2010 at 20:21.
Old 22nd February 2010, 20:17   #667
BHPian

Mercedes Benz For Sale

There were a few Classic Mercedes Benz Cars on sale at the Auto Jumble. Those interested to see the pictures may kindly follow the link below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1744460
Old 22nd February 2010, 21:19   #668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
The restaurant now has a new name. It was called cafe something.....was it cafe Surya Then there was Kirit Pappa, a lovable old Gujrati gent. We all called him Pappa, not papa but pappa, as a Gujrati would call his dad.
V-16 It was more like Sunbeam or something like that. I just spoke to Pappa after ages, and he sends you his regards. He finds the travelling tedious each day but he is still at it. Still has his regular clients.

I knew a Parsi dealer by the name of Yezdi Shroff, he lived at Tardeo in a lane on the left as you climed up the Bombay Central bridge. I bought two 180D engines and a gear box from him. He used to buy jeeps and mercedes diesels, compact, fintail and pontons, He had a closed garage at Kareghat colony. He moved away to Australia in the early nineties. Do you know him?

Quote:
Hi JayD,The RTO is quite painful. Anyways now am over it and concentrating on the Ponton. So far some of you reckon its a buy without a engine inside, that's motivating. Lets see where this hunt goes!
Did you consult a good RTO agent? What are the details of the ponton? Tell us more about it. Why should buying a decent car without an engine be a deterrent, if the price is good and one can possibly buy an engine later?

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 22nd February 2010 at 21:30.
Old 22nd February 2010, 22:02   #669
BHPian

hi machdar give me all your papers details about tax who is the stupid rto is asking for duty its already collected by the customs and hassele get in touch with me
Old 23rd February 2010, 00:19   #670
Senior - BHPian

Since I have been getting "fan posts" in place of fan mail, I thought that I should clear up something.
Machdar"s 108 I have seen for the first time on this forum. Since he mentioned Goa, I just had to make a call and find details which I passed on to Machdar in a PM. And I did NOT speak to the present owner though I know him as I had no interest in anyway. I also know the previous owner. It seems that Machdar is ALSO a guy of principles, he said that he would not go direct, but through his friend who had initiated his foray into buying this car. And I have been repeatedly mentioning that one has to check the books and engine. Was I wrong? And thanks for support, but how can I write on the forum that one can manipulate books? That's one thing one should never do. BTW, I spoke to the previous owner, there just cannot be any huge outstanding. Only vehicle fitness is pending. He has volunteered to help. He even told me that he has received his full money for the car, he will help you without taking your money. From now we will communicate on this subject in PM.

About the Ponton, what is the condition? That too is important besides the registration and engine type/size. If the car is in reasonable condition, book in order, price good (how relative), you can send me a PM and I will give comments. Hopefully I will not know this seller!!

Cheers and all the best
harit

P.S. I do not know who RollingArt is as yet, but hopefully we should be in touch soon.
Old 23rd February 2010, 02:21   #671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
V-16 It was more like Sunbeam or something like that. I just spoke to Pappa after ages, and he sends you his regards.
I knew a Parsi dealer by the name of Yezdi Shroff, he lived at Tardeo in a lane on the left as you climed up the Bombay Central bridge. I bought two 180D engines and a gear box from him. He used to buy jeeps and mercedes diesels, compact, fintail and pontons, He had a closed garage at Kareghat colony. He moved away to Australia in the early nineties. Do you know him?
Papa's famous line "we are all friends"

Yes of course i knew Yezdi, heard he moved to the US but then i was not in touch. Good to know someone who knew him. Small world this is!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Since I have been getting "fan posts" in place of fan mail, I thought that I should clear up something.
You dont need to clear anything no ones accusing you of anything.

Quote:
And I have been repeatedly mentioning that one has to check the books and engine. Was I wrong? And thanks for support, but how can I write on the forum that one can manipulate books? That's one thing one should never do.
Chill Harit!! We all said that check the books, even if we didnt, it can never be translated as Manipulate books.

Quote:
BTW, I spoke to the previous owner, there just cannot be any huge outstanding. Only vehicle fitness is pending. He has volunteered to help. He even told me that he has received his full money for the car, he will help you without taking your money.
Unless the car is a consulate or a Unesco or Unicef car, and stop talking to owners so frequently

Quote:
From now we will communicate on this subject in PM.
No you will not. Why do you want to deprive so many of us who can learn a thing or two about how to deal with things like that. It will help a lot of others. Let all benefit from your and Machdars exchange of posts. After all it is a public forum for the benefit of all. For the benefit or all please keep this general discussion on the forum. You may discuss private or off topic stuff like who is the owner and what is the price on PM if you choose so.

Quote:
About the Ponton, what is the condition? That too is important besides the registration and engine type/size. If the car is in reasonable condition, book in order, price good (how relative), you can send me a PM and I will give comments. Hopefully I will not know this seller!!
Please give your comments on the public forum. You have nothing to hide (except, perhaps your friendship with the owner) so whats the scene. We prospective ponton and other Mercedes buyers would like to know every detail we can from anyone on the forum who is ready to educate us.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd February 2010 at 13:09. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 09:57   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Papa's famous line "we are all friends"

Yes of course i knew Yezdi, heard he moved to the US but then i was not in touch. Good to know someone who knew him. Small world this is!!
Yes youre right, Pappa's great line.
Great to know someone who knows yezdi. He was a good buddy of mine. His daughter loved the Mac Ronnell's Lemon sponge cake...sigh! who didn't? So he would ask me since I lived near there. He went to Yarra near Melbourne. Has he gone to the US after that. I know he had aother house near lido. He also had a brother who was a Captain on the Ship I think. I can't remember his name or I would find out Yezdi address. Yezdi had a knack of picking up the finest diesel mercedes and he kept a hude profit after buying. I can remember most all the ones he picked up. That's how I learned a lot about the 180's 190s, 220's fintails compacts and semi. Awesome cars. I tried the internet but no luck yet with locating him Do you know his brothers first name?
Yes small world. Did you know a Ramesh Nichani. He used to get a lot of 123's from the south in the old days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Since I have been getting "fan posts".
Was I wrong? And thanks for support, but how can I write on the forum that one can manipulate books? That's one thing one should never do. BTW, I spoke to the previous owner, there just cannot be any huge outstanding. Only vehicle fitness is pending.
It seems that Machdar is ALSO a guy of principles, he said that he would not go direct, but through his friend who had initiated his foray into buying this car.
Hopefully I will not know this seller!!

Cheers and all the best
harit.
Wow how many? You are not wrong, you gave right advice
I agree with V 16 unless it is confidential matter you should keep it open. What's the use of knowledge if it isn't shared. Yes books can't be manupilated. Hopefully machdar may still buy the car, maybe the owner can get the fitness paid after a token.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 23rd February 2010 at 10:06.
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:21   #673
BANNED

This is a mad world.

But
Quote:
We are all friends
- Pappa as learned from above.
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:34   #674
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Well I shall post what I have heard about the duty/rto issue. The issue is very peculiar to Bangalore/Karnataka RTO. Where they calculate the invoice at current dollar rate and charge 18% duty to register. I dont know if this law is applicable else where but bringing in imports into blr is an issue.

So the duty for the 108 is working to over 8 lacs according to the RTO calculation!
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:42   #675
BANNED

Quote:
So the duty for the 108 is working to over 8 lacs according to the RTO calculation!
So keep it in Goa. I have space in my garage

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks