Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:42   #676
Senior - BHPian

Hey Machdar I still recommend sharing prices here, it is a forum for all to learn and be informed and give opinion on "Price" I don't think we need any more new sub rules over and above what is already set forth by site owners. I advocate open sharing of prices and info on anticidants of cars. Ref Mr. Jatti's post looks like the number of classic mercedes on sale just went up so much for scarcity! I suppose I don't need give supply/demand lessons to my fan club and put up with rambling post to punish all who care to read the justifications.

Regarding fitness if the owner has out the car on the market everything should be in order i.e. fitness etc if not it puts his confidence in completing the sale in question before any money changes hands.

Last edited by canonball : 23rd February 2010 at 11:57.
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:48   #677
Senior - BHPian

Somethings is amis here machdar, there must be some depreciation allowed which normally is restricted to max 75% beyond a certian number of years/50% in some cases on which soem percentage of RTo taxes are put. I don;t think anyone can charge you duty for a car that is already entered and registered in India.

And if Spitfire runs out of space later I can accomodate it in mine as well

Last edited by canonball : 23rd February 2010 at 11:49.
Old 23rd February 2010, 12:21   #678
BHPian

machdar!what i understand here is the RTO is claiming the state tax & not the duty for karnataka.they will take you for a long ride.an imported car or a indian car cannot be registered in an other state without the invoice copy & there is no way you can source the invoice of this car.i am sure you would not want to change the old registration,so just go ahead buy it & drive it.i heard there is a new rule that you can drive any car in any state without paying the local tax.please can the experts confirm it,
Old 23rd February 2010, 12:29   #679
BHPian

Thanks for the offer Spitfire & Cannon ball will seriously think about parking in your garage..

Nandish the problem is they are not gonna let me transfer it onto my name. If the new rule of dive any car anywhere comes in then I can transfer the same at Goa to my name and drive it around here.
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:39   #680
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Yes small world. Did you know a Ramesh Nichani. He used to get a lot of 123's from the south in the old days?
He lives in Bangalore - he bought my zen...and sold it off
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:55   #681
Senior - BHPian

Machdar I suppose we will know what the real story since we have had posts from other members stating they will help you on this! do share with us as we should not be denied of knowing the final outcome of this W108 even if it comes to via "PM's"

Last edited by canonball : 23rd February 2010 at 16:04.
Old 23rd February 2010, 17:04   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
He lives in Bangalore - he bought my zen...and sold it off
And I bet he made a profit on it. He's only moved back to bangalore these past few years. I meant to ask V-16 if he knew him in mumbai. Just kinda figuring out how much smaller the world is.
Old 23rd February 2010, 17:41   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machdar View Post
Hey Canonball,

Anyways My hunt has brought me to a new find. A ponton ! Yes a ponton only issue is it has no engine. Do you think its worth a look? You know anyone who would have a ponton donor engine?
Hey Machdar,

Do you know whether the ponton you have found is a 4 cyl or 6 cyl chassis? Easiest way to find out in my opinion is to see whether there are air intakes on either side of the grille which if present makes it a 4 cyl chassis. Now if it is a 4 cyl chassis then what kind of engine do you want (diesel, sidevalve petrol or overhead petrol). Since you are located in Bangalore, I remember when I was looking for an engine for my ponton I located a few on one of my trips to Bangalore, but that would be atleast 7 to 8 years back. At that time, the guy wanted Rs.25000 for a complete overhead petrol, probably from the later "B" type pontons (higher compression head). I didn't pick one up then, mainly because I couldn't figure out a reasonable way to bring it back to Kolkata. But I have a contact in your city, a Mr. Lazar who has this workshop cum spare parts warehouse for MB's from the 1950s onwards and he may be able to get you an engine in Bangalore. Let me know if you are interested and I will speak to him. By the way, 2 years back I paid Rs.16000 for a good used head from Delhi (the one fitted to my engine currently), but still use the original block.
Old 23rd February 2010, 18:27   #684
BHPian

Hi MBZ180,

This is great news! Please speak to your friend and let me know if the engines are available! I will check on the 4/6 cylinder bit and revert. If you do introduce me to Mr. Lazar I may go visit him too.

Regards,
Machdar
Old 24th February 2010, 00:33   #685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Did you know a Ramesh Nichani. He used to get a lot of 123's from the south in the old days?
I knew of him but never got to meeting him in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
So keep it in Goa. I have space in my garage
Good try mate!!

Machdar, enough advice, now get cracking and find out about the W108 and the Ponton and buy one or even both if you wish. Just give us some good news buddy. Im just waiting fir a ''My W108/Ponton restoration thread"...should make interesting reading. All the best.

Jatti saab thanks for sharing the auto jumble pics. To the best of my knowledge, the chopped two door 170 V/S?? (that makes it a non classic) and the R107 do not have a for sale board, but i stand corrected if they are for sale. That leaves the ML, the W123 (hardly classics) and the W116 (with a for sale board). Kindly tell us which one of the ones posted mercs are for sale and for how much?

Last edited by V-16 : 24th February 2010 at 00:42.
Old 24th February 2010, 17:05   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Hi MBZ180,

This is great news! Please speak to your friend and let me know if the engines are available! I will check on the 4/6 cylinder bit and revert. If you do introduce me to Mr. Lazar I may go visit him too.

Machdar,

Spoke to Lazar. He has a ponton diesel engine with him (so he says), and if you want petrol he may be able to get one for you. Call me at 09831218482 after 8 pm and I will give you his contact add and number.

Regards
mbz180

Last edited by v12 : 25th February 2010 at 01:00.
Old 27th February 2010, 14:56   #687
BHPian

Quote:
That looks like a 112 S class predecessor to the 108. Nice pics. Where is bangalore is this getting restored? Do you know the owner?

Its a W111 220 s going by th tail lights and bumpers .
Old 4th March 2010, 00:48   #688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I saw the car, papers etc yesterday. And I am not picking it up! There is the duty/tax issue making this car too expensive to buy and then restore. Its sad to see a beauty slowly die but the laws are stupid and thus will have to skip this one. It came into india from UK and now the RTO wants their pound of flesh to transfer to my name.
Quote:
Hey Canonball,

I know a sad ending to an exciting build up but its okay. Everything happens for good! I am sure all our fellow bhpian friends wished only the best for me.

Anyways My hunt has brought me to a new find. A ponton ! Yes a ponton only issue is it has no engine. Do you think its worth a look? You know anyone who would have a ponton donor engine?
Hey Machdar,
So how are things going and what happened to your ponton?
In the meanwhile I did a little asking around too. A few months ago a fellow bhpian from Karnataka visited my office. He told me the trouble he was having in registering his car bought from another state. I thought that I would check this out, and forgot as time passed. But after reading all the posts I made enquiries. And thought I would comment after all the noise died down.
The fact of the matter is that your posts were a bit confusing, you mention imports and folks were wondering why customs duty should be applicable. The fact of the matter is that the Government of Karnataka has not applied its mind when new rules for registering cars was put in place. Since road taxes and vehicle registrations are a state subject, each state can have and does have a different set of rules. For a modern car, you have to show an invoice and taxes are to be paid according to a formula which involves the purchase price. So if you bring a 5 year old Merc to Karnataka from another state, its purchase price is known, maybe even an invoice copy can be obtained, and you pay the tax. These jokers who framed the rules never thought about very old cars. So when you cannot produce an invoice for a 1960's Benz, you cannot register it. But there is an option. Go to an agent, he will do all, it costs about 75K. But Machdar, the problem is that you will face this difficulty with any other car which you may want to register in Karnataka. So even if you find another car in Mumbai, it must have Karnataka registration.
Perhaps you have to rethink your options. Maybe you buy a similar car, and go slow on restoration till your budget permits. This Benz was good, you left it for no fault of the car or its owner.

Tell us about your Ponton, and other discoveries. Happy hunting.

Cheers harit

P.S. We have similar rules in Maharashtra. But there is a clause for cars to be registered with a "Vintage" Certificate by virtue of which there is a concessional tax and tax is not value based, but based on the year of manufacture.

Last edited by harit : 4th March 2010 at 00:51.
Old 4th March 2010, 11:14   #689
BHPian

Hi Harit,

The car is still not sold so the option exists. Anyways thank you for the information. I did some checking Karnataka has the highest road tax in the south. So even if I get the invoice the tax will be crazy.

The ponton project has not moved one bit as I have been too busy with work. I keep thinking of taking some time to go see the car but never made it !

will keep you posted on developments and pls keep me updated if any good classic is available at a good price.

cheers
Old 4th March 2010, 11:35   #690
Senior - BHPian

Machdar you could always keep itregistered in Goa with a simple PG agreement with a local friend. Nothing illegal just working the loopholes You get a simple letter between you and a local friend stating you are a PG with them should work with Goa RTO (I have registered a car there and they are not as bad as Mumbai). I would have offered to help you on this but it is better you do it with someone you known for longer and physically lives there semipermanently plus I am between places at present. There is no legal liability for anyone in PG set up - check it out. what about the local papers are they intact/current?

You can also keep a copy of that PG letter in the car in bangelore and show it to anyone cop/RTO who asks you why you have GA plates = It is not a crime to live and have domicle in 2 places in India only thing you got have your story well prepared and straight in the rarest of rare cases where you will be stopped for most times they will be to busy/preoccupied just oggeling at the car

Last edited by canonball : 4th March 2010 at 11:40.
canonball is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks