Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2010, 10:46   #601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
Does this 220 Merc W115 still exist? Haven't seen a similar looking 115 anywhere else. Assuming this is an export to USA model? Any other pics of this beauty?
I am sure that it still exists and you are correct it is a US spec car and was in immacultae condition.

I am sure others from Hyderabad can add some current pics and info on it.
Old 11th February 2010, 21:19   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Some interesting Mercedes Cars.

Does anyone know more on them and their current whereabouts.

I am particularly interesed in APY 10, whose car was this and where is it now.

APY 10 belonged to Raja Rameshwar Rao,the raja of Wanparty,it used to be at his house at Naubath Pahad,HYDERABAD.The car cam problem and after many attempts to repair in HYD n Bangloreproved futile,it was sold to INdore and is now in Sanghi collection.Am told the cam was imported and the car repaired.Incidently this car is supposed to be the 1st production unit made of this model,am told
Old 14th February 2010, 11:22   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammed4rmhyd View Post
APY 10 belonged to Raja Rameshwar Rao,the raja of Wanparty,it used to be at his house at Naubath Pahad,HYDERABAD.The car cam problem and after many attempts to repair in HYD n Bangloreproved futile,it was sold to INdore and is now in Sanghi collection.Am told the cam was imported and the car repaired.Incidently this car is supposed to be the 1st production unit made of this model,am told
Dear Mohd Bhai.

It is indeed a pleasure to hear from you, hope all is well.

The APY 10 was just up the road from your house, what a pity it didn't remain in Hyderabad.

There are pics of a red 320 Merc also bearing a Hyderabad reg with Doc Ravi in Bangalore, any idea who this car belonged to ?

What are you restoring these days ?
Old 15th February 2010, 15:37   #604
BHPian

Dear All,

I have a query? What is a good price to pay for a W108 ? Its in bad condition, will not start, need loads of parts, loads of rust & interiors also quite badly damaged. Its been static and degrading for a few years now.

I like the 108/109 series S class and am keen to restore the same. I am offered this near junk beauty at 3.5L! I think its too much for the shape it is in and the also the fact that this will take a lot of money, time and attention to restore. But then if I let it go it will disappear soon and bite the dust.

What do you guys advice?
Old 15th February 2010, 15:51   #605
Senior - BHPian

From what I hear sounds like an up hill one are all the trim interior/exterior intact with the car? The trim is the most difficult part sourcing wise. 3.5 is steep, I have been quoted such a price for intact (needing the bacis paint/tinwork & minor mechanical work) running cars at this price so after bargaining much less. If you post pics may be able to give more objectives. Is this car black with Mumbai company reg as that car is pictured elsewhere here and been on sale for some time. Please be aware these models don't have power steering, and some no AC not the most practical classic for inner city driving unless you want it as a show car to take out on weekends etc or you dirve it regularly on highways
Old 15th February 2010, 17:03   #606
BHPian

Hi Canonball,

I am not planning to use it everyday but maybe on weekends and once a while highway trips. I understand that the trim is difficult to source & I know its going to take a lot of money, attention and time to get it to great shape.

It is a Black 280S in Goa with goan regd. I know 3.5 is too much but what is an okay price to start the project. I can't seem to find another 108/109 for sale anywhere (in better or worse condition).

What's a good price ? I understand these were the last cars built by hand? Is it true? And after the Ponton's these may be the best I can find to restore and treasure for time to come!
Old 15th February 2010, 23:01   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machdar View Post
Dear All,

I have a query? What is a good price to pay for a W108 ? Its in bad condition, will not start, need loads of parts, loads of rust & interiors also quite badly damaged. Its been static and degrading for a few years now.

I like the 108/109 series S class and am keen to restore the same. I am offered this near junk beauty at 3.5L! I think its too much for the shape it is in and the also the fact that this will take a lot of money, time and attention to restore. But then if I let it go it will disappear soon and bite the dust.

What do you guys advice?
Quote:
Hi Canonball,

I am not planning to use it everyday but maybe on weekends and once a while highway trips. I understand that the trim is difficult to source & I know its going to take a lot of money, attention and time to get it to great shape.

It is a Black 280S in Goa with goan regd. I know 3.5 is too much but what is an okay price to start the project. I can't seem to find another 108/109 for sale anywhere (in better or worse condition).

What's a good price ? I understand these were the last cars built by hand? Is it true? And after the Ponton's these may be the best I can find to restore and treasure for time to come!
Hello Machdar,

Well, W108 series cars are not around anymore like they used to be and have risen in pricing. I have seen pictures of a dismantled car for 10L in Delhi. Ofcourse it has not been sold as per last info, but now sky is the limit.
I think that I know about the car in Goa. I did not follow through as I have two already, that is enough. These are such elegant cars, they were my first desire as far as modern classics went. I still do not have a Mustang.
As far as the car you have seen goes, please check if the engine is original, even if not working. Then check if the books are intact, Goan records have been termite fodder to a large extend and obtaining duplicate books is a herculian task.
Yes, trim is hardly available, I bought the last set of side pattis available in Mumbai, and all the tail light lenses. But these are available abroad, as are almost all other items. Are all glasses intact?
You hardly find cars which have the proper engine and documentation, if these are in order, negotiate a bit and go for it. Next year it would have disintgrated further, AND the price would have gone up.
Not only are these elegant cars, they are lovely to drive. If you buy this 'junk', then you must restore it properly so that she could be a daily driver. I have used one every day for 2 years, we used to call her 'the rocket' as she took off at signals if one stepped on it. Whatever you decide, I am all for W108's.

Cheers harit
Old 16th February 2010, 10:01   #608
BHPian

Thanks Harit,

I could really use some encouragement here. I am very motivated to bring back the classic to its former glory. I did check online people still have loads of parts all over the globe. It seems to be a daily driver at many locations and available for below 1000 GBR. Alas its not even visible anymore in India.

I will check the papers and if its fine will go for it! Will keep you posted
Old 16th February 2010, 10:25   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Harit,

I could really use some encouragement here. I am very motivated to bring back the classic to its former glory. I did check online people still have loads of parts all over the globe. It seems to be a daily driver at many locations and available for below 1000 GBR. Alas its not even visible anymore in India.

I will check the papers and if its fine will go for it! Will keep you posted
Hi Machdar, if you are set on the car go for it, parts are easy to source from abroad, just make sure windscreen etc is intact, that can be hard to ship. In the long run Mercedes prices will always go up. At one time no one wanted Pontons, Fintypes etc but look at the prices today. Its a great Practical classic that you can enjoy.
Old 16th February 2010, 10:39   #610
BHPian

Thanks Mole,

Just for my understanding how much do Pontons and fintails fetch today? I understand pontons are hard to find but fintails are still around right?

Cheers!
Old 16th February 2010, 14:36   #611
Senior - BHPian

machdar post some pics and one can take a shot at giving you a more accurate value instead of heresay. There are more cars certainely out there which are intact and can be had at a reasonable price I agree like mole said prices will hold/remain firm over time at best you will beat inflation and keep capital plus investment (cost of restoration) intact with maybe a conservative appreciation (not high as she is not rare) but in my book that is enough as one gets to use it over that period and they are a good substitute to dropping money into expensive modern cars Go for it if you heart is set on it and since you asked for my take from your preliminary description she is deffinately not worth the asking which usually is doubled whilst quoting which in this case is still high. She also seems to be on sale for a while, spitfire may also be able to give you a local lowdown on her. Still pics will tell the real condition. One advice I would never buy the first ground up in a country like India I saw I would hunt for more and keep a choice and make a final call unless this one can be negotiated hard on.

Let me finish off by giving you quote "It is always easy to take the easy path, but it is the difficult one is better in the long run"

There were some more fintails (with factory AC) & ponton's in goa and were intact with a friend I can check if you are interested in the type and if he still has them/available for sale.

Last edited by canonball : 16th February 2010 at 14:42.
Old 16th February 2010, 15:03   #612
BHPian

Hey Canonball,

Thank you for the advice! I will appreciate it if you can get me some pontons for sure. Do let me know if I can find something to treasure. The friend offering me the 108 says the owner may come down to 2.5- 2.75 max.

He sent some pics. Do give me your thoughts!
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_0285.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_0286.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_0284.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_0283.jpg  

Old 16th February 2010, 15:13   #613
Senior - BHPian

Hi Machdar, just my two paise in addition to all the valuable advice the gurus have already given you, all of it sound i might add.

Although 3.5L sounds really a lot, as Cannonball rightly said, unless you post pics of actually how deteriorated the car is, one cannot give an accurate enough ball park figure. If it is completely junk and missing everything, it makes no sense in picking it up as sourcing the parts and especially the trim and rubbers will be a really expensive and cumbersome job. Just the head lights will set you back by around 20-25K and that is if your bargaining skills are good and if they are available at all. All or most parts will have to be imported so be prepared for that.

Then, besides spending large amounts of money, if you are not prepared to spend the time on the project, walk away right now. These things will take a lot of your own time if you want to restore it.

In my opinion, if you are not very well versed with the marque and its really in a bad condition, forget it. Spend a bit more and buy a better condition car....one problem...there aren't many available.

EDIT:- just saw the pics.
Hey that cars no junk!! All trim seems to be intact. Hows the interior trim. Dont worry about the upholstery as that is very doable. Meters etc all in order? Can you post the interior pics if you have them? Check if the engine is original. It looks like an SE as the underline which comes below the SE/SEL looks as if there is a word missing. Bargain and see if you can get it for around 2.5 or so. That would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Please be aware these models don't have power steering
Sir, some of these "Semi Compacts" did come with a servo assisted steering set up, i know as my family owned one years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I have two already, that is enough.....I still do not have a Mustang.
And you call me Greedy

Last edited by V-16 : 16th February 2010 at 15:19.
Old 16th February 2010, 15:37   #614
Senior - BHPian

V16 I was referring to w108/9 Sir Aren't compacts 114/115?

from the pics the trim seems Ok/in place why people painted bumpers black in the 80's escapes me. Those could be rechromed but opinion is divided on the logivity of chrome, a friend bought new 116 bumper set quoting for a 1 lac!!??

Externally seems like tin work and paint job with trim in place don't know how many times it has been removed and put back in its life so can't say if they will go back straight V16 could comment, what about interior? the dash etc. Anyway my preliminary opinion is that she is not a complete junk externally. As mentioned above engine needs to be checked as well. Why don't you put out a laundry list/cum parts inventry questionaire to the owner and see his responses first the price will automatically be reached if the owner is not a BS. So things like the headlight which V16 quoted at 25k etc can be acertained. If interior is intact (refurbishable without gettimg new parts/trim) and engine only needs an overhaul I would first set aside a budget for the whole build up which i think in this case could go up to around 2 lacs to 3 lacs with tinwork/engine overall/paint/sundry new trim/some suspension work = Show quality car. Gun for anything between 1 and 2 as I am already seeing owner/you conveying a range of between 2.5 and 3.5 between yesterday and today! If you buy this car be ready to make a small trip to say bangkok a cheap place for parts in Asia may be worth the adventure :-)

Please note similar such rebuilt cars with all old parts gone back in with rechroming and cleaning fetch below 5 to 6 lacs (close to what you will end spending on the project if the buying price is keen) so the objective here is blood, involvement, passion and labor of love is valueless don't expect any reward by way of profit

I have seen running cars (no tinwork, just paintwork and reburbishing needed) being qouted at the price he is asking.

If you don't have time for all this then there are always the near 10 lacs cars :-)

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th February 2010 at 21:15. Reason: 2 smileys max please
Old 16th February 2010, 19:34   #615
BHPian

Thank You V16 & Canonball,

I am glad you guys are encouraging me to take this project on. I am not planning to build this for sale. No to bothered about profits here. Only if there is a fully restored car that I can pick up for 5-6 then I might as well do so. I do not see any modern classics available around so looks like I will dive into this even if he does no go to low below his quoted 2.5-2.75 L range.

I will try and get to the interior pics too. I am going to be in chennai tomorrow..you think there may be some cars I could see there? Anyone?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks