Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2008, 15:25   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchatt View Post
Hi Aditya,

Dada here. Are you sure you can get hold of ww2 landcruiser here in Hyd??? PM me so that I can get in touch with you and see what you have in stock. I am looking for one
Please, Please, Pretty Dada, help me get one. I am desperate for a Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
May be he lost the original knob.

Did you notice the old style dipper below the dash, in the center ? Thought it was a little out-of-place & beyond reach of driver.

Felt so good to see it. Will try let the owner know.
Boss the dipper is on the left of the clutch pedal. The one on the right is the starter. These MBs (Fords) had the push starter operated by a foot switch. There were no keys to such a jeep and the switch you see on the left of the ignition key is the original ignition. There were no keys but owing to the ease it might get stolen, many such MBs have a key ignition installed now. If some knows one for sale please contact me...God, I Am sounding desperate!!
Old 22nd January 2008, 11:04   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Please, Please, Pretty Dada, help me get one. I am desperate for a Jeep.
If some knows one for sale please contact me...God, I Am sounding desperate!!
Here one on ebay for 70K
eBay India: Willy's Army Disposal Jeep (item 140185409330 end time 28-Feb-2008 18:54:47 IST)
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:18   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automannj View Post
Looks exactly how an ex-Army jeep should be! The 'patina' look....!

Am quite skeptical on the asking price though....sounds too much considering its not the older low-bonnet type...
Old 5th March 2008, 16:11   #184
BHPian

Any one working in Embassy Golf Links may have seen these jeeps. Spoke to the watchman and he said they belong to one of the directors of the Embassy Group.

First there used to be only a Ford Jeep. From I could make of it, the Jeep has been restored recently and has all the original fittings and the original Petrol Engine. Note the Ford logo embossed on the axe and spade.

Recently, he has acquired a Willys(on the right) also. The Willys is in good condition but not as original as the Ford. You can see both here:

Old 5th March 2008, 16:20   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post

Do the Willys have the sparewheel on the left side with Jerry can on the right as against Ford having the Spare Wheel on the right with Jerry can on the right?
Old 5th March 2008, 16:29   #186
BANNED

Dude which building are they in?
Old 5th March 2008, 16:44   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Dude which building are they in?
They are parked in the Microsoft building. If you walk from IBM towards Yahoo, you will see a guarded covered (but no shutters) parking on your left. Thats were they are.

Tip: Request the guard and he'll let you have a closer look.
Old 5th March 2008, 20:07   #188
BHPian

I was working on a 1942 Ford Jeep in what seems pretty good condition -- (it has a bunch of original accessories including rifle holder) yesterday evening. It has a feature we couldn't figure out -- perhaps some of you who are more familiar may know what it is. Didn't have my camera so I will describe: Above the left tail light is a flip up lid (seems the same as the lid over the fuel cap). When u lift the lid up, it has opens to a tube which leads into a recess that's over the left rear wheel which can be accessed by a lid under the seat the covers the wheel well. The tube is partially blocked near the outlet by a plate which has holes in it.

Any ideas?

Byas
Old 5th March 2008, 22:14   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey all,
I need just the bodyshell atleast of a low-bonnet Jeep. 'planning to fit a later engine/gbox and 'modern' mechanicals into it, so need not be immaculate as I dont want to do the unforgivable of customizing one that is.

Any leads on one anywhere??
Old 5th March 2008, 22:24   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
Above the left tail light is a flip up lid (seems the same as the lid over the fuel cap).
Any ideas?

Byas

hey byas,
thats the trailer socket you are talking about..
under the lid was the female socket to connect to
the male socket from the trailer, to provide current
for running the blackout and stop lamps on the trailer.

cheers
vaibhav
gotzuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2008, 23:47   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post

Recently, he has acquired a Willys(on the right) also. The Willys is in good condition but not as original as the Ford. You can see both here:

A Willy's MB running on Mahindra wheels eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Hey all,
I need just the bodyshell atleast of a low-bonnet Jeep. 'planning to fit a later engine/gbox and 'modern' mechanicals into it, so need not be immaculate as I dont want to do the unforgivable of customizing one that is.

Any leads on one anywhere??
I dont think you can fit an MB (low bonnet, having a side valve engine) with a later engine (OHV). One would have to increase the height of the bonnet or make an artificial hood scoop on it.
Old 6th March 2008, 00:04   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I dont think you can fit an MB (low bonnet, having a side valve engine) with a later engine (OHV). One would have to increase the height of the bonnet or make an artificial hood scoop on it.
But I thought I read of even low bonnets being fitted with Peugeot diesel engines (used to come across many ads in papers many years ago).....? Or maybe I was confusing them with low-bonnets as they were mentioned as LHD?
Old 6th March 2008, 00:41   #193
Senior - BHPian

In this case, the height of the hood is increased but still maintains the low bonnet look. Then again they may have been fitted with a particular imported engine that would neatly fit into the area with making the least amount of alterations. But im sure a genuine jeep engine cannot go in without alteration to the hood. Still would stand corrected if someone can let us know
Old 6th March 2008, 06:57   #194
BHPian

V-16> I'll post some pics of the '42. It has a Mahindra diesel in it. No (visible) mods to the body.

Vaibhav, thanks!. So, what is the storage compartment for? For the cable? Then, how is the cable connected to the jeep's electrical? I'll check again -- I don't think there was a hole or grommet out of that box.

B
Old 6th March 2008, 09:08   #195
Ram
Senior - BHPian

All three Willys low-bonnets: MB, CJ-2A and CJ-3A had a flathead sidevalve Go-Devil L4/134 engine.
There was no other reason for
The Willys CJ-3B was given a taller bonnet for only one reason.
To accommodate the new part-sidevalve/part-OHV Hurricane F4/134 engine.

That being said, there are many Willys low-bonnets, in the USA, which have been repowered by Chevrolet and Ford V-8 engines, without affecting the shape nor height of the bonnet.

Here is a 1949 Willys CJ-3A with a Chevrolet 5,817 cc V8.
The front grille with separate headlights is from a Willys MB (military model)

The Jeep is owned and photographed by Christian Hazel.

His detailed write-up is at:
http://www.jpmagazine.com/featuredve..._3a/index.html

Ram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks