Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2008, 12:18   #241

Good Old Jeep!

is it true that M&M is buying JEEP of USA? Does M&M still make the classic JEEP in any variant? I think they focus bigger variants now a days... i would want to get a CL if they still sell one and if parts are not an issue? Pls advise on this.
Old 12th August 2008, 21:27   #242
BHPian

yesterday my friend purchase one WILLYS jeep sorry for picture quality
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Willys-image1.jpg  

Jeep Willys-image1279.jpg  

Jeep Willys-image1280.jpg  

Jeep Willys-image1281.jpg  

Old 13th August 2008, 00:18   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veldeep View Post
yesterday my friend purchase one WILLYS jeep
Congratulations to your friend. Thats a nice Willys Cj3a
Old 13th August 2008, 01:28   #244
Senior - BHPian

Lovely original looking jeep. Hope it is not dieselised. The head lamp surrounds should be in chrome. Way to go and congrats to your friend.
Old 13th August 2008, 02:48   #245

Shoudnt the headlights be smaller?? And fitted a little more inside or something?
Old 13th August 2008, 02:52   #246
BHPian

The jeep looks very neat. If I ever settle in India I would love to have one of these to drive around... Till then I dream and enjoy the pictures put up here

Your friend planning to take it for some serious off roading I hope ?
Old 13th August 2008, 06:18   #247
Ram
Senior - BHPian

It is a Willys 1945-1949 CJ-2A

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Congratulations to your friend. Thats a nice Willys Cj3a
No. It is not a CJ-3A. It is a Willys 1945-1949 CJ-2A. And from the photographs, it's delightfully complete and original!

There were two varieties, the early one that inherited the full-floating rear axle from the Willys MB. And the later one that tried out a semi-floating rear axle.

This is the later variety CJ-2A with a semi-floating rear axle.
I'd be surprised but check if the Willys has a column gear shift, instead of floor shift.

Absence of the tailgate and side mounted spare tire is confusing. That was the characteristic of the Willys MB.

Early Willys CJ2As used a lot of surplus military MB parts, still there has to be a bottom-hinged tailgate.

Since the vehicle is in near original condition (probably preserved by very careful ownership), we may be able to get the body number and engine number. If you can find these, it will add heaps to the collectibility of the Jeep and we can find out more.

Gogi, there was an CJ-2A model meant for export out of USA for foreign military use, which did not have chrome headlamp surrounds, but painted olivedrab ones.

OT: I learned to drive on a Willys CJ-2A (foot operated starter button) in Betul MP.
Old 13th August 2008, 13:37   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Shoudnt the headlights be smaller?? And fitted a little more inside or something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
No. It is not a CJ-3A. It is a Willys 1945-1949 CJ-2A. And from the photographs, it's delightfully complete and original!

There were two varieties, the early one that inherited the full-floating rear axle from the Willys MB. And the later one that tried out a semi-floating rear axle.

This is the later variety CJ-2A with a semi-floating rear axle.
I'd be surprised but check if the Willys has a column gear shift, instead of floor shift.

Absence of the tailgate and side mounted spare tire is confusing. That was the characteristic of the Willys MB.

Early Willys CJ2As used a lot of surplus military MB parts, still there has to be a bottom-hinged tailgate.

Since the vehicle is in near original condition (probably preserved by very careful ownership), we may be able to get the body number and engine number. If you can find these, it will add heaps to the collectibility of the Jeep and we can find out more.

Gogi, there was an CJ-2A model meant for export out of USA for foreign military use, which did not have chrome headlamp surrounds, but painted olivedrab ones.

OT: I learned to drive on a Willys CJ-2A (foot operated starter button) in Betul MP.
You are right Ram, about the body coloured headlight surrounds. They became chrome in 1946.
This is a CJ-2A as Ram has correctly identified.
The tail gate and side mounted tyre would have been altered at some time by some previous owner who must have taken tips from the CJ-2 or the MB. I personally feel that the CJ-2A always came with a tail gate and side mounted spare tyre. I dont think anyone except absolute aficionados thought about jeep originality till quite recently.
I doubt this jeep would have the column mounted gear shift, though if it does then only those very early in production ie in 1945 would have these.
Anyways this is a rare and very well kept find.
Old 29th August 2008, 23:00   #249
BHPian

@ Mods - Could not resist posting it here. Dont know if this is the appropriate thread.Anyway,pictures of a friends Jeep in Hyderabad, very nice looking. Probably GTO would like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Willys-pic081.jpg  

Jeep Willys-pic082.jpg  

Jeep Willys-pic083.jpg  

Jeep Willys-pic084.jpg  

Old 30th August 2008, 00:11   #250
Senior - BHPian

Dominator your friend has a lovely jeep there. i love what he has done to it and the colour choice is fabulous. he could put jerry cans in the rear as he does have mounts already for them. it would give it a more rugged appearance.
Old 30th August 2008, 09:54   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Dominator your friend has a lovely jeep there. i love what he has done to it and the colour choice is fabulous. he could put jerry cans in the rear as he does have mounts already for them. it would give it a more rugged appearance.
Thanks Speedy, your inputs will be valuable for him. He takes great pride in his Jeep.
Old 30th August 2008, 22:20   #252
BHPian

Friend had this recently restored in Hyderabad. Sourced him some parts from bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Willys-lr1.jpg  

Jeep Willys-lr2.jpg  

Jeep Willys-lr3.jpg  

Jeep Willys-lr4.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 31st August 2008, 21:18   #253
BHPian

picture of a very original jeep in a hyderabad rally

Bought this Hyderabad registered jeep in delhi. - 1995. Very sound mechanically,but missing cosmetic parts
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Willys-hydjp1.jpg  

Jeep Willys-deljp.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st September 2008 at 12:01.
Old 31st August 2008, 21:37   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
picture of a very original jeep in a hyderabad rally
This is now in Pune. Superb example I must say. She was complete with all accessories including a stove in a canister!
Old 1st September 2008, 03:52   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This is now in Pune. Superb example I must say. She was complete with all accessories including a stove in a canister!
was the stove canister unit a standard accessory on the willys mb/ ford gpw??
cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks