Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2008, 09:27   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
V-16> I'll post some pics of the '42. It has a Mahindra diesel in it. No (visible) mods to the body.
From what I have seen, the Peugeot Diesel engine fits wells in the low bonnet jeep. There is no visual modification required, it still stays low bonnet after the transplant. I know atleast 3 jeeps(one belongs to a friend) running the jeep as daily runner.

This Willys MB low-bonnet and the Willys CJ2A low-bonnet below are both running Peugeot diesel Engines.

Willys MB running Peugeot Engine. The owner has too many fancy accessories and has strayed away from the original fittings.

Willys CJ2A running Peugeot Engine. This one was up for sale and advertised in the papers. I went to see it, but the gentleman had spent too much restoring it and was out of my budget. Also IMO, the papers were a little fishy as the model year said 1942 .

Forgive the picture quality, they were shot with my mobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk
thats the trailer socket you are talking about..
under the lid was the female socket to connect to
the male socket from the trailer, to provide current
for running the blackout and stop lamps on the trailer
The WW-II jeeps never cease to amaze me with their innovations. Whether it is their ability to run on rails and roads or the very carefully thought out accessories or the curfew lights or location of the petrol tank or shortened bolts + single coat of paint to make the jeep lighter..the list goes on. And now this...these jeeps were a great feat in engineering.

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 6th March 2008 at 09:34.
Old 6th March 2008, 10:49   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
So, what is the storage compartment for? For the cable? Then, how is the cable connected to the jeep's electrical?
B
pm me your email and i'll mail you the wiring diagram and some
photos detailing the whole thing..
cheers
Old 6th March 2008, 14:46   #198
Senior - BHPian

Thanks 71Convertible, i always thought it was mandatory to make some mods for any engines from Mahindra to plonk into an MB. I too know of a certain MB wit a V6 in it running without any changes in California. I have seen it myself, alas i was not in the possession of an instrument which could capture an image of it, a camera nor a cellphone, at the moment.
Thanks Ram for, as usual an excellent pictorial representation yet again.
I wonder if anyone could conjure up an idea of what engine and gearbox would fit neatly in a cJ3B? A good diesel or a petrol? 4WD will not be compromised.
Old 9th March 2008, 11:32   #199
Senior - BHPian

This one may not be relevant here, but just thought would post it! its not a new jeep, because it has a TXX reg. The guy was talking something about this being a korean jeep!! Can anybody shed some light on this??
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Willys-07032008711.jpg  

Old 9th March 2008, 12:10   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

'donno if its korean, but sure looks nice! Not for sale though is it?
Old 9th March 2008, 18:10   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
This one may not be relevant here, but just thought would post it! its not a new jeep, because it has a TXX reg. The guy was talking something about this being a korean jeep!! Can anybody shed some light on this??
This looks like a Kaiser CJ5 based on the Korean M38 AI. As far as I know, the M38 would have a fuel filler cap on the front RHS fender which one cant see in this. Maybe the experts can comment on this.
Old 17th March 2008, 10:59   #202
ZTE

Hi,

I have seen couple of jeeps modified in Mandi Dabwali, They are fitted with a new Toyota Engine. I want to buy one but I m worried

I want to know if a engine number differs from what is on RC will it make any difference or create problem legally.

Brij
Old 17th March 2008, 12:02   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
A collector in Pune has this Jeep, he claims it was a Korean manufactured vehicle captured from the Pakistani army. The sticker on it reads "Jeep S Korean 1940" It certainly isnt 1940, but interesting all the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Willys-jeep01.jpg  

Old 17th March 2008, 12:11   #204
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A collector in Pune has this Jeep, he claims it was a Korean manufactured vehicle captured from the Pakistani army. The sticker on it reads "Jeep S Korean 1940" It certainly isnt 1940, but interesting all the same.
I think the Ssangyong Musso company had a model like the one you've posted. Perhaps this car is one?

Also, what on earth is that machine to the left of the Jeep in the picture?? curious
Old 17th March 2008, 12:27   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Also, what on earth is that machine to the left of the Jeep in the picture?? curious
The car has been discussed at length on the forum in the past, it is a made contraption, built to resemble a 1939 Tempo G1200 used by the Danish Army in WW2. It is built on VW running gear, runs pre 65 Wheels but a post 65 Type 4 engine. It is a very convincing car indeed. I have personally visited Wolfsburg and confirmed that VW never made anything like this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/715139-post389.html
Old 17th March 2008, 13:42   #206
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
built to resemble a 1939 Tempo G1200 used by the Danish Army in WW2
I had seen a Tempo (kind of Jeep) with an engine at the front and back. You are referring to such a vehicle?
Old 17th March 2008, 14:05   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I had seen a Tempo (kind of Jeep) with an engine at the front and back. You are referring to such a vehicle?
Yup that is the original Tempo G1200. I assume you saw it in Goa. Twin engined, which used a seperate gearbox for each engine. It also featured 4 wheel steering. The car in question in Pune has none of these features, plus is a RHD. The Tempo G1200 was never sold in RHD form.
Old 17th March 2008, 14:19   #208
BHPian

Quote:
This seems to be a copy of the Willys Jeep, but it is definitely not a Jeep for the simple fact that the Seven slat grille is absent.
Old 17th March 2008, 14:25   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMPKDMFF View Post
This seems to be a copy of the Willys Jeep, but it is definitely not a Jeep for the simple fact that the Seven slat grille is absent.
It has been established that the vehicle has Korean origins, and it is not a Willys, but probably built under liscense. We use the term "jeep" here very loosely, not as a brandname but describing the category of vehicle.
Old 17th March 2008, 14:30   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car has been discussed at length on the forum in the past, it is a made contraption, built to resemble a 1939 Tempo G1200 used by the Danish Army in WW2. It is built on VW running gear, runs pre 65 Wheels but a post 65 Type 4 engine. It is a very convincing car indeed. I have personally visited Wolfsburg and confirmed that VW never made anything like this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/715139-post389.html
Exactly Karl. The original Tempo, as it is called, comes with twin, two stroke DKW engines on either ends of the car. The so called VW tempo (which should not exist, even as a one off) is a farce and the worst part is that vintage clubs also gave it some prize as the most unique car sometime ago. I had shot an explanatory email to the club authorities giving them full details and pics of an original car owned by Mr Naik of Goa. Needless to say they never even replied back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks