Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2009, 21:29   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Sadly have not been still able to check the stepney air pressure ever since I bought this beast.
The stepney may be singin' an oldie by Franki Valley, "Our Day Will Come"!!!
Your fault... i had told you to buy the VLX, you would have got the TPMS...
just kidding buddy!
Old 8th June 2009, 14:05   #257
Senior - BHPian

the bridgestone dueler HT stock tyres which come with the Scorpio are good for atleast 40000 km - predominantly city and highway driving with occasional rough roading thrown in.
they are a solid tyre - no doubt about it.
the ones on my bolero had done about 30K km when I sold that vehicle and the tyres looked as good as new.
only thing - one needs to ensure correct pressure, regular rotation and regular maintenance like balancing and alignment.
Old 8th June 2009, 20:59   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
the bridgestone dueler HT stock tyres which come with the Scorpio are good for atleast 40000 km - predominantly city and highway driving with occasional rough roading thrown in.
they are a solid tyre - no doubt about it.
the ones on my bolero had done about 30K km when I sold that vehicle and the tyres looked as good as new.
only thing - one needs to ensure correct pressure, regular rotation and regular maintenance like balancing and alignment.
Thanks shankar for the suggestions.I check the tyre pressure every two weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Your fault... i had told you to buy the VLX, you would have got the TPMS...
just kidding buddy!
Raj -Can't be undone now.
Old 8th June 2009, 21:02   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Raj -Can't be undone now.
I'd say Slime the tyres.
Holds in the pressure for MONTHS without any loss whatsoever (other than variation due to change of weather)! But, it is of limited use for the spare wheel.
Old 9th June 2009, 23:02   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Nowadays I am driving the Scorp with the AC blower set on 1 and not 2 as was the case when summer was at its peak. As the temperatures hover around 40 degrees Celsius, position 1 is cool. The blower noise is eliminated or else at 2 and other higher slots the blower noise "rattle' n hum" is an irritant. Position 1 cools the cabin to mild levels and if the rear AC vents are closed its quite a comfortable cooling job done(don't, rather NEVER close the AC vents if passengers , especially ladies are seated on the second/third row or else!!!).
Anything around the 30 degrees Celsius (European or American summer tempretures) and I'll prefer to roll down the window glass, again with the ladies' consent, if they're seated!
Old 12th June 2009, 21:03   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a mobile charger cord today.Its successful trial charging run is over.A great success it is! Again the cord cannot be always attached to either of the two 12V charger plugs, either on the dash or before the second row, just near the rear AC vents. So the next best thing would be neatly fold or coil the cord, put it in the small case it came in and keep it where? Our sixth sense or even after four pegs, our subconscious mind will dictate that the left hand opens the glove box and just keeps the cord in right there!!
The glove box is no bigger than the Maruti 800's and its already quite crowded. Rather it was born crowded with no breathing space.The First Aid kit, the tools,extra headlight bulbs, the detachable HU plastic case, xerox copies of RTO/Insurance papers and what else have you? And to top it all its not lockable.
Most accessories come with appendages and these appendages need to be kept somewhere within the vehicle. Where's the space within such a huge SUV to keep all these?
I feel M&M should have taken cue from the CJ 3B /4A /540DP design to give us some lockable space, thats best available under the driver's seat.
Even after the M&M goof-up here in this department, it wold be worthwhile if some accessory supplier sells sleek fibre bodied, lockable tool boxes that fit snugly below the driver's seat, with its bolting being done, using the lower part of the seat.
Old 12th June 2009, 21:15   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got a mobile charger cord today.Its successful trial charging run is over.A great success it is! Again the cord cannot be always attached to either of the two 12V charger plugs, either on the dash or before the second row, just near the rear AC vents. So the next best thing would be neatly fold or coil the cord, put it in the small case it came in and keep it where? Our sixth sense or even after four pegs, our subconscious mind will dictate that the left hand opens the glove box and just keeps the cord in right there!!
The glove box is no bigger than the Maruti 800's and its already quite crowded. Rather it was born crowded with no breathing space.The First Aid kit, the tools,extra headlight bulbs, the detachable HU plastic case, xerox copies of RTO/Insurance papers and what else have you? And to top it all its not lockable.
Most accessories come with appendages and these appendages need to be kept somewhere within the vehicle. Where's the space within such a huge SUV to keep all these?
I feel M&M should have taken cue from the CJ 3B /4A /540DP design to give us some lockable space, thats best available under the driver's seat.
Even after the M&M goof-up here in this department, it wold be worthwhile if some accessory supplier sells sleek fibre bodied, lockable tool boxes that fit snugly below the driver's seat, with its bolting being done, using the lower part of the seat.
You are definitely tripping on the Scorpio mate!!! If folks like us ask MM to go back to CJ days, how will they improve and give us vehicles which softies also could buy.

I think one prerequisite to buying MM vehicles (whichever it may be) would be the willingness to give up on material comforts (like Lord Buddha) to attain driving moksha
Old 13th June 2009, 22:16   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
You are definitely tripping on the Scorpio mate!!! If folks like us ask MM to go back to CJ days, how will they improve and give us vehicles which softies also could buy.

I think one prerequisite to buying MM vehicles (whichever it may be) would be the willingness to give up on material comforts (like Lord Buddha) to attain driving moksha
Thanks MileCruncher for the enlightenment, but still a lockable/larger space to store knick knacks inside the SUV is quite essential.
Old 17th June 2009, 19:06   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I'd say Slime the tyres.
Holds in the pressure for MONTHS without any loss whatsoever (other than variation due to change of weather)! But, it is of limited use for the spare wheel.
Anup: Noted that there is hardly a 2 to 3 pound per sq inch pressure decrease every fortnight. That applies to all new sets of tyres and tubes and not the Scorpio (any variant).
Lately, I am in awe of the "1" position of the blower that emits no hum of any kind, thats audible. The position "2" onwards has lots of noisy hummmmms .
It does not allow us to either listen to the ICE ,if played at low volume like a gentleman- mind you I am in no mobile discotheque with lots of bass and resonating drumbeats, entertaining or causing nuisance to others- I simply detest loudly played ICE. If you have visited any developed country and have observed less swanky to swanky cars like Rolls,BMW's, Cadillacs, top end Mercs and other cars on the move, you'll find the ICE being played at the minimal volume to entertain the occupants ONLY. The ICE on these swanky cars may be costing a real fortune. But they don't show off. Its not in their lexicon. And here- ICE with simple, five figure price tags are shown off by many to everyone outside, with neither the words nor the tune in western pop songs being understood by the occupants, but the resonating and echoing sounds and drumbeats are there for the public to be shown off and "appreciate."
Back to the topic, the "1" position is quite amiable for the interiors. The late rains and monsoon onset means that the AC use will continue and that debars me from rolling down the window glasses and listening to the engine purrrrr, grunt and growl. A monsoon onset will mean frequent washes and more caretaking in all departments within the SUV.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 17th June 2009 at 19:08.
Old 18th June 2009, 08:41   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It does not allow us to either listen to the ICE ,if played at low volume like a gentleman- mind you I am in no mobile discotheque with lots of bass and resonating drumbeats, entertaining or causing nuisance to others- I simply detest loudly played ICE. If you have visited any developed country and have observed less swanky to swanky cars like Rolls,BMW's, Cadillacs, top end Mercs and other cars on the move, you'll find the ICE being played at the minimal volume to entertain the occupants ONLY. The ICE on these swanky cars may be costing a real fortune. But they don't show off. Its not in their lexicon. And here- ICE with simple, five figure price tags are shown off by many to everyone outside, with neither the words nor the tune in western pop songs being understood by the occupants, but the resonating and echoing sounds and drumbeats are there for the public to be shown off and "appreciate."
LOL... this was simply a dig at all ICE lovers, especially those who frequent the ICE section of T-BHP, including me!
well, even i agree to what you have said mate but at the same time, i do enjoy loud music, but not the kinds which shakes the whole neighbourhood.
Old 18th June 2009, 09:54   #266
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It does not allow us to either listen to the ICE ,if played at low volume like a gentleman- mind you I am in no mobile discotheque with lots of bass and resonating drumbeats, entertaining or causing nuisance to others- I simply detest loudly played ICE....... to be shown off and "appreciate."
Anjan...you know what they say...if its too loud, you're too old
Old 18th June 2009, 10:14   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks MileCruncher for the enlightenment, but still a lockable/larger space to store knick knacks inside the SUV is quite essential.
I agree, thats why need to have locakable boxes underneath the seat like there is in the Jazz.

Quote:
Anup: Noted that there is hardly a 2 to 3 pound per sq inch pressure decrease every fortnight. That applies to all new sets of tyres and tubes and not the Scorpio (any variant).
Lately, I am in awe of the "1" position of the blower that emits no hum of any kind, thats audible. The position "2" onwards has lots of noisy hummmmms .
I also have noticed this on the Bolero, but never had any issue with new tyres on my other cars. Any clue why is it so?
Quote:
Back to the topic, the "1" position is quite amiable for the interiors. The late rains and monsoon onset means that the AC use will continue and that debars me from rolling down the window glasses and listening to the engine purrrrr, grunt and growl. A monsoon onset will mean frequent washes and more caretaking in all departments within the SUV.
I also like to listen to music at low volumes, but I do need to up the volume to compensate for the diesel clutter despite improved NVH
Old 18th June 2009, 15:33   #268
Senior - BHPian

music to touch the heart. needs to be pushed higher to reach there. (has to travel all the way from ears)

Last edited by tanwaramit : 18th June 2009 at 15:36.
Old 21st June 2009, 20:03   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
music to touch the heart. needs to be pushed higher to reach there. (has to travel all the way from ears)
When the heart is quoted nothing else comes close!
One thing I was wondering is about the M&M bumpers.My 2001 Bolero LX had metal, body-painted bumpers.These dared anyone to even get close and personal on the streets. But they were lesser daredevils as compared to my older CJ 4A, CJ500D and even the 540DP all soft-tops.Their bumpers were of truck like build and the CJ4A,CJ500D bumpers shape and protruding design would scare and shoo away motorists or anyone else to their Xtreme left !
Coming to the Scorpios the older ones had almost a similar (like the Refreshed) build quality plastic bumpers both on the front and rear. These are softie, "Barbie" like bumpers. The Refreshed change gets some new contours and sharper edges as compared to the rounded edges and ribbed design of the older Scorpios. For a change the Refreshed Scorpios have now a three peice rear bumper a al a three peice suit.The older ones had a one peice -suit or bumper as one can call 'em on their rear ends. Now we have to beware- even a scooter or motorbike hit can badly maul the Scorpio plastic bumpers and one has to plan for replacement if inevitable! And the insurers make hay while the Scorpio dealers shine -plastic parts get low compensation in the event of damages going by their rulebooks. Guess the insurers and M&M are in league!
I am reminded of the older James Bond movies- Sean Connery, George Lazenby and Roger Moore were rarely ever, badly hit or injured in older Bond movies! Much like the invincible old Willys /Jeep /Mahindra bumpers.
The newer Bonds Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig are un-Bond like. They take the hit and get badly mauled at times at the hands of unscrupulous elements- Much like the Scorpio bumpers!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 21st June 2009 at 20:06.
Old 21st June 2009, 20:12   #270
Senior - BHPian

@ anjan: careful buddy, only 3 smileys are permitted!

about the bumpers, dont you worry. my driver accidently banged a stationary Wagon R from behind, in my non-crde scorpio. collision speed maybe 30-40 kmph (we were at 90 kmph when he braked). the maruti suffered from a broken bumper, bent boot door which was not closing & broken tail lights. the mahindra's bumper just had a scratch & the right side went down by say 2cm. this happened 2-3 years back. the A.S.S said the bumper is fine, just pushed it up & tightened it. it still stands there proudly. everything is built tough.

however, i somehow feel my mHawk is a bit of softie compared to the older CRDe & non-CRDe. hope this is not the case with every scorpio!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks