Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2011, 12:59   #2641
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Team- BHP only allows messages to be sent to 3 persons at a time so my plan of sending a mail adding all of you Vento owners came to nought , thus posting this invitation for suggestions - please PM me with the inputs

Dear All ,
Vento being a new introduction to the Indian market and given that all or most of us had to endure moronic dealership experience when we bought our cars - its a fact that many of us are discovering new features in our respective Ventos . These features maybe useful or sometimes there's a view that it could have been done better . This mail is an effort to first list out the features and our brief understanding of those so that we may list them in a dedicated thread - it would help each one of us and also new buyers by providing a ready ref. Many of us would remember how we debated for days on the doors lock/unlock features , it was a learning experience - sometimes shocking for a few of us !
Let me kick off the discussion with a few features that I have noted but was never explained to me at the dealership by the SA :-
1. Spare wheel - The spare wheel is kept upside down - so if one has to check the pressure the entire unit has to be taken out which is silly
2. AC Power Off - I had mentioned this in the thread, the AC is switched off through the blower switch. When the blower switch is rotated anti clockwise the blower is switched off first and if its further rotated then the power to the AC is switched off. Its a 2 step operation with the same switch
3. AC Switch On at Start - At ignition , the AC switches on with a marked delay which allows for a smooth start without loading the engine.
4. Window Lock - Window roll down/up lock prevents the scrolling of the rear windows only (Swift owners would have been habituated to all 4 windows being locked when the switch is activated)
5. Door Lock - Door lock is not speed or time activated (Noops says his locks get activated)
6. All Lights off when central locking is activated - All lights except parking lights get switched off when the central locking is enabled.

Please note that you are requested not to post the suggestions on here , please pm me your inputs - I will open a separate thread for our ready reference and discussion.

At this stage of collating the points, the idea is to capture "features" [good or bad] rather than problems due to malfunctioning .

Look forward to active suggestions and more inputs from each of you which can be captured in the thread. We can start the thread in the next 3-4 days with your inputs . Lets make it comprehensive for TDi, petrol , AT versions.
P.S - Please suggest a title for the thread too in your mails

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
The MID with 2 sets of memory also needs to be discussed. I am not sure when it gets reset automatically.

One issue I am facing is, no petrol pumps can do a full tank.
Nobody's auto cut works! Hence cant calculate FE on full tank basis.

BTW is the average FE shown in MID a bit optimistic? Any anyone checked?
Mate, the reset switch is on the MID toggle stalk . Its on the side which faces down and looks like a rolled ball ( though it isn't) and has to be pressed down to reset. The trip reading resets if there is a pause in the journey (power off) for more than 2 hours .

On the MID average , mine turned out to be fairly accurate ( within 5%) - i have done FE calculation over multiple tank to tank runs ( min 3 ) so that the error is averaged out
Old 21st August 2011, 17:17   #2642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F458 View Post
Now comes the shocker, rim bending is relatively common and the rim costs close to 17000 rupees, which is quite steep. Also with the condition of roads in karnataka and kerala, its really easy to bend the rim.
F458 what was the total of 17000 that was covered by insurance and how much did you way. And which company insurance cover have you taken for your car?
Old 21st August 2011, 18:14   #2643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Mate, the reset switch is on the MID toggle stalk . Its on the side which faces down and looks like a rolled ball ( though it isn't) and has to be pressed down to reset. The trip reading resets if there is a pause in the journey (power off) for more than 2 hours .
That is true for the currently selected memory.
What about the other one? I never reset it. But the total kms read 4XX. That means it got reset automatically at some point of time. And also it does not erase all values if you switch off your car for more than 2 hrs.
Old 21st August 2011, 18:24   #2644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is true for the currently selected memory.
What about the other one? I never reset it. But the total kms read 4XX. That means it got reset automatically at some point of time. And also it does not erase all values if you switch off your car for more than 2 hrs.
To reset MID 2 you have to hold down the button .

When the car is switched off for 2 hours it will reset most apart from distance travelled i.e. FE ( cumulative and instantenous ) , avg speed , travel time , etc will be reset . To reset the distance travelled you would have to toggle the switch on the instrument panel and hold it down when you reach the menu.

@F458
Is your car a trendline or a highline ? Rim bending in case of alloys are not at all common , you need a reasonably large impact for that to happen . In fact one of the oft quoted pre-conditions for tubeless radials is that the wheel should be alloys since tubeless radials need nil / minimal distortion of the rim for them to be last . I guess you should seek a second opinion from a tyre / wheel shop

Last edited by souravc : 21st August 2011 at 18:30.
Old 21st August 2011, 18:32   #2645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To reset MID 2 you have to hold down the button .

When the car is switched off for 2 hours it will reset most apart from distance travelled i.e. FE ( cumulative and instantenous ) , avg speed , travel time , etc will be reset . To reset the distance travelled you would have to toggle the switch on the instrument panel and hold it down when you reach the menu.
I can reset MID2. I can also reset the distance travelled.

I think I did not make myself clear before. Let me clarify
What I am trying find is when the MID2 will be automatically reset?
I would like to find out average FE with MID over a longer period of time say 1 month. Is it possible?
Old 21st August 2011, 18:38   #2646
BHPian

Quote:

I would like to find out average FE with MID over a longer period of time say 1 month. Is it possible?
I think the purpose of the 2 memories is to store information for separate trips. They behave identically. Nothing else. I typically use one memory for the onward journey of a trip and use the other for the return journey. Helps me calculate at the end of it all.

If you don't use the second memory, it stays on forever. I have kept it for at least 20 days before using it again. The readings stayed there.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 18:42   #2647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Calculating avg FE over a month through only the MID reading is not possible. I think I can understand where you are coming from - you are handicapped given that the pump auto stop does not work. Why don't you try out what I do ? I reset the trip meter once and do 50 lts refill everytime the MID shows approximately 30-40 KM to an empty tank ( give or take 5-6 kms here or there ) - I would do back to back 3 refills and then calculate the average FE by taking into account the MID value of the trip meter. Its a fairly good approximation .
Just a caveat - the distance to empty in reality can have some variance based on the last run . Forexample if its a honk-tonk traffic run (with poor FE) then actually the tank maybe fuller than the display signals and on the other hand if the last run had been a super FE run then the tank maybe dryer than you can make it out to be . The closer to empty you can take the refill , the more accurate the approximation would be . Hope I could explain myself clearly
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 18:48   #2648
BHPian

Quote:
Just a caveat - the distance to empty in reality can have some variance based on the last run . Forexample if its a honk-tonk traffic run (with poor FE) then actually the tank maybe fuller than the display signals and on the other hand if the last run had been a super FE run then the tank maybe dryer than you can make it out to be . The closer to empty you can take the refill , the more accurate the approximation would be .
Logically speaking, the car has no other way of calculating how long would the current fuel last. It has to base its approximations on the current/last FE. That is the only way the numbers would make sense.

If the car were to show the actual balance fuel in litres, it would have been accurate as there is no ambiguity in how much fuel is left.
Old 21st August 2011, 18:53   #2649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
If you don't use the second memory, it stays on forever. I have kept it for at least 20 days before using it again. The readings stayed there.
Separate memories? I wish one was for short term (2 hrs reset time) and the other for long term. (1000km reset).

Quote:
I would do back to back 3 refills and then calculate the average FE by taking into account the MID value of the trip meter. Its a fairly good approximation .
Well that would take 3 months.
Thanks to huge tank capacity and excellent mileage.

But that is the only way around. Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 18:54   #2650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nilesh, does the average readings stay on MID 2 - my understanding is that it would not though I have to confess that I never paid any attention to it
Quote:
Logically speaking, the car has no other way of calculating how long would the current fuel last. It has to base its approximations on the current/last FE. That is the only way the numbers would make sense.

If the car were to show the actual balance fuel in litres, it would have been accurate as there is no ambiguity in how much fuel is left.
Buddy , i guess we have to include this as one more point in our "strange" Vento thread Thanks a bunch for your PM , I am awaiting others inputs too
Old 21st August 2011, 18:55   #2651
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One issue I am facing is, no petrol pumps can do a full tank.
Nobody's auto cut works! Hence cant calculate FE on full tank basis.

BTW is the average FE shown in MID a bit optimistic? Any anyone checked?
Huh?!! Why can't you get an auto cutoff? I get mine at exactly when it is supposed to cut off (approx 55 litres in the tank).

The MID Fe *is* certainly optimistic by about 0.5 to 1 kmpl over tank-to-tank method. It is one reason I am jealous of Guderian whose Fortuner he claims is within 0.2 kmpl tolerance.

Quote:
This mail is an effort to first list out the features and our brief understanding of those so that we may list them in a dedicated thread - it would help each one of us and also new buyers by providing a ready ref. Many of us would remember how we debated for days on the doors lock/unlock features , it was a learning experience - sometimes shocking for a few of us !
Great initiative mate! Do count me in.
Quote:
5. Door Lock - Door lock is not speed or time activated (Noops says his locks get activated)
It is speed activated for 15 kmph. Got this confirmed from a VW insider, who suggests that if this doesn't work, you need to report it as a defect to the service station.
Old 21st August 2011, 19:11   #2652
BHPian

Quote:
Separate memories? I wish one was for short term (2 hrs reset time) and the other for long term. (1000km reset).
Actually I too wish it was that! Would have been extremely handy.

Quote:
Nilesh, does the average readings stay on MID 2 - my understanding is that it would not though I have to confess that I never paid any attention to it
Yes, I am sure it stays. I have seen the average mileage much after the trip was over.

Quote:
Buddy , i guess we have to include this as one more point in our "strange" Vento thread Thanks a bunch for your PM , I am awaiting others inputs too
You are welcome. Will see if I can gleen off information from others' threads as well!
Old 21st August 2011, 20:25   #2653
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion would be to cover not only the hidden features/but also real world maintanence costs, TCO other niggling issues/resolution in this thread. It would be a bible for current vento owners and propective owners too. Have seen a few in the forum and I feel it to be a very good knowledge and information repository.

You can consider this suggestion if appropriate. Will also contribute in whatever ways I possibly can.
Old 21st August 2011, 20:48   #2654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
F458 what was the total of 17000 that was covered by insurance and how much did you way. And which company insurance cover have you taken for your car?
Hi el lobo

I have taken baja allianz with drive assist, so the net i paid was for 1100 rupees for the rim, balancong and alignment. It was easy as volkswagen has a tie up with bajaj for cashless insurance.

Cheers
Old 21st August 2011, 21:29   #2655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Huh?!! Why can't you get an auto cutoff? I get mine at exactly when it is supposed to cut off (approx 55 litres in the tank).
Bloody petrol pumps!
The auto cut works when I take the petrol car. They dont have the autocut for the diesel ones. May be they cater to the needs of truck drivers only who need not require auto cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The MID Fe *is* certainly optimistic by about 0.5 to 1 kmpl over tank-to-tank method. It is one reason I am jealous of Guderian whose Fortuner he claims is within 0.2 kmpl tolerance.
Then I believe it will be same for diesel variants as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks