Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2011, 18:06   #3706
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 363 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Thanks a lot for your feedback SR-71. I'm glad to note your positive experience with sundaram. I was looking for this feedback and yes, sundaram is lot more accessible compared to the abra service station which is at the outskirts of the city.

Having said that, I heard the facilities in Abra service center are really top class, I need to check it out once.

Vento doesnt come with temperature guage, even if it came with one, it wouldnt tell you the exact temperature, isnt it? May be the VAS thingy will be able to give you that data, but dont think its practically possible to measure it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post

BTW anybody know how to look at the engine temperature - I would be interested in knowing how hot my engine is running
Yes, Im put up in velachery, but the only issue is my job requires constant travelling and hence may not be available at home all the times. If I'm not travelling, we can surely meet up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

As for the March trip, I'm getting my car - that's definitely sure; the plan's almost made up to the last details. A bit too early, but do PM your (& Bala's) numbers and locations. If I remember correctly, Bala stays at Velachery. I'll be put up at Mandaveli. Lets (try to) meet up, if the plans don't change by then.
Just one word to describe Abra - Horrendous. It cannot get any worse than them, but you dont have to really worry about the NCB part.

I got my NCB transferred after selling off my old car and I did it only after buying the new car and paying full insurance upfront for it. The reason behind it that I sold my old car only after getting the new one and hence didnt have the required documentation ready. I got the NCB refund from bajaj allianz there was absolutely no issues with the process. I can answer if you have any questions regarding the same. In my case the refund happened later, I suggest you talk directly to bajaj allianz on this and get clarification.

By the way, you are not obliged to get insurance from Abra motors in the first place, do your own shopping of insurance and you will get much better quote for the same IDV. The salesman will always say you cannot do it, but then there is no one who can stop you from doing it. Technically, you are entitled to pay only the "ex-showroom" price to abra and not a single paise more than that. You can take care of rest of the things on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testing2000 View Post
This worries me a lot ABRAA, my vento got allocatated it will be delivered to me by Jan 1st week. I'd to fight with Abra Sales for my NCB insurance to be deducted upfront. When I've paid my amount, they insisted to make the full insurance amount , then the Bajaj Allianz will return the % bonus to me by check in 20 days time, is it accetable. They are really pushing me hard that they have never deducted the NCB before the registration...
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 19:57   #3707
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 363 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

@testing2000 - Bajaj allianz has an exclusive helpline for VW and skoda owners. This is available 24X7 and you may call them at 1800-209-6262.

I spoke to them during the process of my NCB transfer and they were able to answer my questions. So, go ahead and give them a call.

Also, the following thread will provide you some very useful information about NCB and the process associated with it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...-premiums.html (ARTICLE: No Claim Bonus - How to save on your insurance premiums!)
bala80 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 22:04   #3708
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 26
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

@SR-71 - Thanks mate, its will sure to ask the SA to enable those 2 features before deliver it to me.

@bala80 - Good, now i have someone who had done the NCB process in chennai..so if it is going to take much of my time, I will pay the insurance upfornt and get it later. thank you.
testing2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 22:19   #3709
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 128
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
^^
I had a harrowing time with Abra during my car delivery - by far the worst I have ever dealt with in my opinion. Fellow BHPian Bala also had a painful time with them IMO. So I chose to goto Sundaram for the service advise. The fact that they are also located in the city helps. BTW ensure you activate your speed lock and other things via VAS before delivery else you will end up using the VAS system later on a chargeable basis like me (I had specifically instructed them to do it but they failed to do that and I had to spend time and money to do that later.
Service Stations in Delhi don't charge for VAS usage nor do they charge for any kind of repairs that don't involve consumables or part changes.
Abhinav.Daos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 00:39   #3710
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Useful VW maintenance notes on polo has been posted by TBHP-ian dingolphile -please refer to the link below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...quirks-14.html (Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks)

The pdf attachments can be extended to Vento IMO since they share a common platform and does confirm most of our findings on the following :-
1. High engine oil consumption initially
2. Door squeaks
3. Noise from front of the car

Cheers
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 08:24   #3711
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kochi
Posts: 85
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

And this is what the VW maintenance manual says on the coolant. It says elsewhere that the coolant will go to Max when the engine is warmed up.

Apparently is a coolant filled for life and top ups have to be premixed in the correct ratio - with distilled water!
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-manual-screenshot.png  

dingolphie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 15:18   #3712
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 363 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Please remember you need to necessarily have the following documents to transfer your NCB from your old car.

- Original NCB reservation certificate from the insurance company of your old car mentioning the percentage of bonus. (Bajaj Allianz needs even the seal and signature on this document, for which I had to make a 2nd trip to royal sundaram)
- Photo copy of the RC book of your old car, showing name transfer to the new owner.
- Photo copy of the insurance transfer to the new owner.
- A Cancelled cheque leaf (For NEFT transfer)

On submission of these documents to BA, It took around 15 to 20 days for me to get the refund on my account, no hiccups what-so-ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testing2000 View Post
@bala80 - Good, now i have someone who had done the NCB process in chennai..so if it is going to take much of my time, I will pay the insurance upfornt and get it later. thank you.
Agree, I would like it to be done free of charge since it was a dealer mistake in the first place. Just because you took delivery from a different dealer shouldnt mean anything here. Maruti never charged me a rupee for any such minor running repairs, irrespective of which service center I go to. These are small things, but goes a long way in help building customer trust for the brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
Service Stations in Delhi don't charge for VAS usage nor do they charge for any kind of repairs that don't involve consumables or part changes.
Dingolphie - By any chance do you have the soft copy of the service manual with you? If so and you dont mind, can you email it across to me? I will PM you my email address if you wish to do so.

By the way, my coolant level is also below the min mark and my car has done close to 5800 kms. Engine oil is little over the "min" mark though. I'm not really going to bother for now and going to get it topped-up during the inspection service around 7.5k km's. If anything before that, I would anyways expect the ECU to warn me of the same, thats why it exists, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingolphie View Post
And this is what the VW maintenance manual says on the coolant. It says elsewhere that the coolant will go to Max when the engine is warmed up.

Apparently is a coolant filled for life and top ups have to be premixed in the correct ratio - with distilled water!
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 15:46   #3713
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 475 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Agree, I would like it to be done free of charge since it was a dealer mistake in the first place. Just because you took delivery from a different dealer shouldnt mean anything here. Maruti never charged me a rupee for any such minor running repairs, irrespective of which service center I go to. These are small things, but goes a long way in help building customer trust for the brand.
This was done free of charge for me by the dealer and I guess for most of other Vento owners. Although in my case it happened after some taunting posts on VW's FB page. More on this in my ownership report which is 99.99% ready and should be available by end of this week (yeah I know I have been lazy but had too much work to get done before the end of this year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
By the way, my coolant level is also below the min mark and my car has done close to 5800 kms. Engine oil is little over the "min" mark though. I'm not really going to bother for now and going to get it topped-up during the inspection service around 7.5k km's. If anything before that, I would anyways expect the ECU to warn me of the same, thats why it exists, right?
I have also now stopped worrying about this after I took it to the service center on Friday. An interesting thing happened. I had mentioned the unusually high noise of the engine to the service engineer. They said that they are going to replace the fuel filter free of charge. It costs around INR 1000 (sorry I misplaced the bill hence can't upload a scanned copy). VW it seems is replacing these fuel filters under warranty for TDIs which might have a higher degree of noise and have problems with acceleration from a cold start (I had started feeling this a wee bit in my car). As per the engineer, the replaced fuel filter is of better quality and I did find a definite improvement in the acceleration of the car. Nice gesture by VW but I think they should voluntarily replace it for all Vento TDIs if they know of a genuine problem.
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 17:16   #3714
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kochi
Posts: 85
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

[quote=bala80;2622617
Dingolphie - By any chance do you have the soft copy of the service manual with you? If so and you dont mind, can you email it across to me? I will PM you my email address if you wish to do so. [/QUOTE]

Sure, PM me your mail addr and I'll send across what I have. I think its called the maintenance manual
dingolphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 19:58   #3715
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
I have also now stopped worrying about this after I took it to the service center on Friday. An interesting thing happened. I had mentioned the unusually high noise of the engine to the service engineer. They said that they are going to replace the fuel filter free of charge. It costs around INR 1000 (sorry I misplaced the bill hence can't upload a scanned copy). VW it seems is replacing these fuel filters under warranty for TDIs which might have a higher degree of noise and have problems with acceleration from a cold start (I had started feeling this a wee bit in my car). As per the engineer, the replaced fuel filter is of better quality and I did find a definite improvement in the acceleration of the car. Nice gesture by VW but I think they should voluntarily replace it for all Vento TDIs if they know of a genuine problem.
Surprisingly this is being done only in Kolkata it seems , anyone who had his fuel filter replaced in any other city ?
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 20:08   #3716
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 475 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Surprisingly this is being done only in Kolkata it seems , anyone who had his fuel filter replaced in any other city ?
Hmm. That would be weird though the service engineer did mention that this was part of some VW campaign like their monsoon rejuvenation camp. They even put a sticker on the car to identify that this replacement has happened. Sorry I was so hard pressed with work, I didn't have enough time to get all the details from him. I was actually working when I was at the service center while I waited for these fixes to happen
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 20:31   #3717
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 363 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Thank you dingolphie, PM'ed my email address over to you. Please send it when you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingolphie View Post
Sure, PM me your mail addr and I'll send across what I have. I think its called the maintenance manual
What is the relation between fuel filter and engine noise? I'm not able to understand, can someone enlighten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Hmm. That would be weird though the service engineer did mention that this was part of some VW campaign like their monsoon rejuvenation camp. They even put a sticker on the car to identify that this replacement has happened. Sorry I was so hard pressed with work, I didn't have enough time to get all the details from him. I was actually working when I was at the service center while I waited for these fixes to happen
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 21:33   #3718
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 475 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
What is the relation between fuel filter and engine noise? I'm not able to understand, can someone enlighten?
Not sure this was about engine noise but I had also told them the car felt sluggish when started in the mornings. It gets pretty cold out here and it was taking the car a little bit longer to run smoothly. The engineer said that VW was replacing the fuel filters with a better one to address this issue. Maybe some TDI experts can explain a bit more.
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 15:04   #3719
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 518
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Not sure this was about engine noise but I had also told them the car felt sluggish when started in the mornings. It gets pretty cold out here and it was taking the car a little bit longer to run smoothly. The engineer said that VW was replacing the fuel filters with a better one to address this issue. Maybe some TDI experts can explain a bit more.
Its relatively chill in Bangalore also these days. After 10 minutes of drive from home I encounter the first signal where I turn off the ignition and turn it on again. Car gets super smooth and the clatter is very minimal post that. Am planning to visit VW Downtown sometime this week to activate the speed lock. Will check with the SA for the fuel filter update.

As many have mentioned before the mileage is too good these days due to the winter. 17 to 18 kmpl on an average with normal bangalore traffic, and around 14.5 to 15 in peak traffic.

Need to buy a good cover for the car. Is it better to get one from eBay?
prabhuferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 16:06   #3720
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 475 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Need to buy a good cover for the car. Is it better to get one from eBay?
Might be a good idea to actually step into a good car accessory shop and then check out the stuff they have there. That way you can confirm that the fit and the make suits the car and the material is of the soft type on the inside and will not cause any damage to the surface. You can always order it from eBay once you have decided on the one you want for your car
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3931 5th December 2016 14:24
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks