Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2010, 00:38   #1051
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 169
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Got a chance to take a TDI HL to Nice road today (In fact 4 rounds of ~8km each). We touched 180+ km/hr consistently all 4 times. The car was stable and high speed braking was very good. The back seat too was comfortable at high speeds. Over all, it was a nice experience. Those who are interested in mileage - It was showing 11.5 for the trip that we took. But for the kind of fun we had, its reasonable I guess.

At around 180-185, there wasn't any more throttle left to offer after having the pedal right at the bottom. We probably expected it to go till 200..

Had a quick chat with folks at showroom. Looks like max bookings are on White and Silver followed by Black and finally Red. In fact, I was surprised as I was expecting much more Blacks. Still don't know on when I will get mine. Not before Jan I guess!!

They do not expect any price hike in the near future and could have some minor enhancements by mid 2011!!.
motorhead5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 02:03   #1052
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chd
Posts: 289
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Looks like max bookings are on White and Silver followed by Black and finally Red. In fact, I was surprised as I was expecting much more Blacks.
Which color have you booked? We've booked a black. The dealer actually told us that we can get our car sooner, if we opt for silver or white This led me to think that Blacks are being booked more. Are these guys EVER consistent?
BTW what is your opinion on the colors in Vento?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
At around 180-185, there wasn't any more throttle left to offer after having the pedal right at the bottom. We probably expected it to go till 200..
!.
Drive safe! 180 too much for the Indian roads..
That said, I did find the TDi performance to be very good, especially the tractability of the engine and the seamless way it pulls forward from any gear.

Can't wait to get hold of the car, get iridium spark plugs and K&N custom air intake system (and maybe other mods later)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
-- 1.6 Petrol does not seem to have any USP other than the AT. Honda city / T-Jet is by far a better choice.
Actually I don't quite agree with the part in the bold. True, the T-Jet and ANHC perform better than the Vento Petrol MT. But the difference is marginal, certainly NOT like night and day, and the Vento is no slouch by any means.

I guess it depends on what one is looking for. Some people (in this segment) might have chauffeur driver cars and/or may just be looking at acceptable performance and better ride/comfort etc. To that extent, I actually found the backside ride comfort best in Vento followed by the TJet and the ANHC. The ANHC was especially disappointing at the back on high speeds with the body roll and because of its high cabin noise. Furthermore, the Vento also had the BEST build quality BY FAR, among all cars in this class.

All this with the fact that the Vento is priced so much more aggressively. The top of the line Highline Petrol is 40k+ cheaper than the Honda City SMT (middle variant). I think as a overall package, the Vento does make a compelling choice, so it would be wrong to rule out the petrol completely.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th November 2010 at 07:41.
imjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 13:01   #1053
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 260 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Those who are interested in mileage - It was showing 11.5 for the trip that we took. But for the kind of fun we had, its reasonable I guess.
First of all I would not believe what it was showing. Secondly 11.5 is ok. Not that great. I agree it was driven enthusiastically but who drives at 180?
My best guess it will provide 14Kmpl in city with AC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
At around 180-185, there wasn't any more throttle left to offer after having the pedal right at the bottom. We probably expected it to go till 200..
Try switching off the AC. That should help you a bit.
Or get a Petes Tuning box.



Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
They do not expect any price hike in the near future and could have some minor enhancements by mid 2011!!.
Thats awesome! Please tell me they are planning to put USB in the ICE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy View Post
Actually I don't quite agree with the part in the bold. True, the T-Jet and ANHC perform better than the Vento Petrol MT. But the difference is marginal, certainly NOT like night and day, and the Vento is no slouch by any means.

I guess it depends on what one is looking for. Some people (in this segment) might have chauffeur driver cars and/or may just be looking at acceptable performance and better ride/comfort etc. To that extent, I actually found the backside ride comfort best in Vento followed by the TJet and the ANHC. The ANHC was especially disappointing at the back on high speeds with the body roll and because of its high cabin noise. Furthermore, the Vento also had the BEST build quality BY FAR, among all cars in this class.

All this with the fact that the Vento is priced so much more aggressively. The top of the line Highline Petrol is 40k+ cheaper than the Honda City SMT (middle variant). I think as a overall package, the Vento does make a compelling choice, so it would be wrong to rule out the petrol completely.
Hey I did not mean to offend anyone here.
My quote was mainly from the driver's perspective. In that case T-Jet wins Hands down. Amazing Engine and wonderful handling. No questions. City on the other hand is an allrounder. A brilliant engine but lacking in dynamics. In Vento Handling is ok but the performance of petrol is average.

Well moving to chauffer driven part -
Tjet has the best ride quality. The best seats. But the space is a bit less. If you dont have a big figure this is the most comfortable backseat.
Yes City's ride quality is not that good. I agree. But the space it provided is phenomenal.
Vento- Like the T-Jet you can seat only 4. Ride is good. But the seats are not that comfortable. I wanted the backrest to be a bit more inclined.

Well price wise the Vento is cheaper than City so it definitely more VFM.

If you ask me? what is the car for being chauffeur driven, the answer is none. It will be the Manza.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 21:29   #1054
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 169
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy View Post
Which color have you booked? We've booked a black. The dealer actually told us that we can get our car sooner, if we opt for silver or white This led me to think that Blacks are being booked more. Are these guys EVER consistent?. BTW what is your opinion on the colors in Vento?
I have opted for Black as of now. But this could change as my heart is still with Red. Now about my preferences on color - I LOVE Red. But, unfortunately, I didn't find Vento red as attractive as Polo Red - though its the same. Hoping that with 16" sporty alloys, 205/195 rubber, and a good spoiler Red would be great . Black is always safe (Except for maintenance). I am not a big fan of White and Silver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy View Post
Drive safe! 180 too much for the Indian roads..
Thanks to long Diwali weekend, Roads were relatively empty and that stretch didn't offer any surprises - No bad/un even patches. And we really wanted to try the limits. Now whats remaining is some really bad roads. May be I will go again this weekend. May be they will give me my car soon, if I go there every weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy View Post
Can't wait to get hold of the car, get iridium spark plugs and K&N custom air intake system (and maybe other mods later)
When will you get your delivery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
First of all I would not believe what it was showing. Secondly 11.5 is ok. Not that great. I agree it was driven enthusiastically but who drives at 180?
My best guess it will provide 14Kmpl in city with AC. Try switching off the AC. That should help you a bit.
The way we revved the engine, I don't think it could go below 11.5 in normal circumstances. Guess thats good!. We didn't turn the AC off at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Thats awesome! Please tell me they are planning to put USB in the ICE.
I asked about USB/Aux and steering mounted controls. I don't think they know of any thing specific as of now. It could just be a wish from their side. I wouldn't expect any changes before Aug and I don't want to wait till then for some minor upgrades. Time spend while deciding the car is FUN. But not post booking!!!
motorhead5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 23:18   #1055
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,537 Times
Default

This is what I got from VW Cochin today. I should say that although this is a good gesture, it kinda too late and something that should have been notified earlier. Anyways, good work for following up with the updates.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-001.jpg  

naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 00:26   #1056
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 169
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Looks like I got the same letter in an email today. So I dont think that 3-4 week story is correct. Its ok for me as I booked it last month. For you, its a little rude. To say the least!!

I have replied back with some questions. Lets see how they get back.
motorhead5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 01:15   #1057
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chd
Posts: 289
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
I have opted for Black as of now. But this could change as my heart is still with Red. Now about my preferences on color - I LOVE Red. But, unfortunately, I didn't find Vento red as attractive as Polo Red - though its the same. Hoping that with 16" sporty alloys, 205/195 rubber, and a good spoiler Red would be great . Black is always safe (Except for maintenance). I am not a big fan of White and Silver.

When will you get your delivery?
Actually, I love any color, as long as it's black However the car is for my parents, and they have a black baleno which they say is extremely hard to maintain. So they are not too keen on another black car. The red on Vento (as you mentioned) looks awful. So it's either white or silver. Most probably white. Anyway, VW should've definitely had more colors for the Vento. We asked for the blue, but they said it would only come next year and delay the car by 6+ months

Booking story: Booked in first week of Sep '10. Were told a delivery date of 1st week of Jan '11. After a month, got a call from the dealer that the car has been delayed to the last week of Feb '11

Went to the dealer, gave him hell. Finally he conceded that he will try last week Dec/1st week Jan, provided we are ready to accept any color.

Yeah, I know it's a sad story. But we are willing to wait, as we expect the car will be worth it, and (in our opinion) there is no other car with matching attributes in this price range. Anyway I've always lusted for VW cars in the US, and the latest 2011 Jetta (which a friend and I drove) looks similar to the Vento in that Vento looks like a mini Jetta '11.

Note from Team-BHP Support: Only 2 Smileys per post is allowed. Please read the rules before you proceed further. Thanks!

Last edited by mobike008 : 9th November 2010 at 13:21. Reason: Outlined in post
imjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 13:05   #1058
BHPian
 
ventoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 282
Thanked: 149 Times
Default

Initialized the financing process and made the remaining payment at VW Palace cross today as the vehicle is expected anytime next week.
Bought only mud flaps and door sil plate as accessories from them.
They claim to have all the accessories (including the trunk spoiler. Didn't go for it as it requires 24 hrs turnaround).
Down to the last few days!
I am keeping myself busy by finalising the remaining accessories, tyre upgrades to be done post delivery.

Last edited by ventoman : 9th November 2010 at 13:08.
ventoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 14:07   #1059
BHPian
 
evilshantanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 518
Thanked: 201 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Initialized the financing process and made the remaining payment at VW Palace cross today as the vehicle is expected anytime next week.
Bought only mud flaps and door sil plate as accessories from them.
They claim to have all the accessories (including the trunk spoiler. Didn't go for it as it requires 24 hrs turnaround).
Down to the last few days!
I am keeping myself busy by finalising the remaining accessories, tyre upgrades to be done post delivery.
Awesome!!!!!! <in Barney Stinson accent>

Will be watching this place for your ownership review..... which bank have you got it financed with ? Does VW Palace cross provide support with any nationalized banks ?

Last edited by evilshantanu : 9th November 2010 at 14:07. Reason: correcting a typo
evilshantanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 14:24   #1060
Newbie
 
piyushlall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Looks like I got the same letter in an email today. So I dont think that 3-4 week story is correct. Its ok for me as I booked it last month. For you, its a little rude. To say the least!!

I have replied back with some questions. Lets see how they get back.
go for linea T jet if you can not wait this long...
piyushlall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 15:01   #1061
BHPian
 
ventoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 282
Thanked: 149 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Awesome!!!!!! Will be watching this place for your ownership review..... which bank have you got it financed with ? Does VW Palace cross provide support with any nationalized banks ?
Thanks a lot Mate!
Financing is with Kotak Mahindra. There are no other options from VW palace cross.
But KM have been pretty reasonable - 24-48 hrs turnaround, 9.5% interest rate, option to close the loan after 6 months for a nominal fee etc.
ventoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 15:33   #1062
BHPian
 
msd63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 89
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Initialized the financing process and made the remaining payment at VW Palace cross today as the vehicle is expected anytime next week.
Bought only mud flaps and door sil plate as accessories from them.
They claim to have all the accessories (including the trunk spoiler. Didn't go for it as it requires 24 hrs turnaround).
Down to the last few days!
I am keeping myself busy by finalising the remaining accessories, tyre upgrades to be done post delivery.
Congrats. I too bought Vento from Palace cross and they did not have any accessories in September and October. I am chasing them for mudflaps and the sales executive always replies that he has to check and let me know which he dosen't. I enquired again today and they do not have seat covers, which means they are still struggling to get supplies of accessories.
msd63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 15:38   #1063
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,537 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd63 View Post
Congrats. I too bought Vento from Palace cross and they did not have any accessories in September and October. I am chasing them for mudflaps and the sales executive always replies that he has to check and let me know which he dosen't. I enquired again today and they do not have seat covers, which means they are still struggling to get supplies of accessories.
As of now, VW hasnt released the accessories list for Vento. All accessories which are available now are purely based on each dealer. VW Cochin provides Stanley leather for 35k which includes seats, armrest, door panels and steering wheel. The other extra accessories includes mud flaps, parking sensors, sun films, rubber mats and music player (not available now but said they can get it when they delivery my car)
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 15:40   #1064
BHPian
 
ventoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 282
Thanked: 149 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd63 View Post
Congrats. I too bought Vento from Palace cross and they did not have any accessories in September and October. I am chasing them for mudflaps and the sales executive always replies that he has to check and let me know which he dosen't.
Thanks MSD63. I am eagerly following your ownership thread. So far, it looks like you are having good fun with the car.
Coming to accessories, its quite strange, as the sales person confirmed the availability and even billed me for mud flaps, door sil plates etc. My final payment is including accessories and he has promised to get them fitted at the time of delivery!

Last edited by ventoman : 9th November 2010 at 15:53.
ventoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 00:33   #1065
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 169
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Down to the last few days!
I am keeping myself busy by finalising the remaining accessories, tyre upgrades to be done post delivery.
Congrats dude!!. Any thoughts on tyre upgrades - 15/16"? 195/205?. Guess we should have a thread for Vento mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy View Post
Booking story: Booked in first week of Sep '10. Were told a delivery date of 1st week of Jan '11. After a month, got a call from the dealer that the car has been delayed to the last week of Feb '11

Went to the dealer, gave him hell. Finally he conceded that he will try last week Dec/1st week Jan, provided we are ready to accept any color
. You will get it before me. I don't expect mine to come before mid Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyushlall View Post
go for linea T jet if you can not wait this long...
I will try T-Jet soon. But I am fine with Vento TDI. Not planning for petrol. Wondering how the new Linea 1.6 diesel would be. Might be better than Vento in terms of performance and handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Coming to accessories, its quite strange, as the sales person confirmed the availability and even billed me for mud flaps, door sil plates etc. My final payment is including accessories and he has promised to get them fitted at the time of delivery!
I think they have accessories at Downtown, Blr. Thats what they told me. Are you not planning for a rear spoiler? and which color did you go for?
motorhead5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3931 5th December 2016 14:24
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks