Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2017, 17:03   #2341
BHPian
 
Boybentley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Leiden, Netherlands
Posts: 96
Thanked: 268 Times
Default Re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

First owner of #179GY (by Freestone & Webb not Barker) was Lt.-Cmdr. Glen Kidston (of Bentley Boy fame) who took delivery of the car in november 1930, trading in his damaged Phantom II #123WJ.
He was killed in a plane crash 6 months later, so the car was probably up for sale soon after that and found it's way to India.

Last edited by Boybentley : 12th July 2017 at 17:05.
Boybentley is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 17:30   #2342
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,870
Thanked: 3,803 Times
Default Re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boybentley View Post
First owner of #179GY (by Freestone & Webb not Barker) was Lt.-Cmdr. Glen Kidston (of Bentley Boy fame) who took delivery of the car in november 1930, trading in his damaged Phantom II #123WJ.
He was killed in a plane crash 6 months later, so the car was probably up for sale soon after that and found it's way to India.
Thanks boybentley!

179GY went from Lt.Cdr Kidston to Nepal (1931) to Balrampur (1933) to Tirwa (1964).
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 17:19   #2343
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,936
Thanked: 2,631 Times
Default Re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
Cross posting here

As per the former Maharaja the Rolls was gifted to Raja Saheb Tirwa.

Attachment 1656353

Same car ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Thanks boybentley!

179GY went from Lt.Cdr Kidston to Nepal (1931) to Balrampur (1933) to Tirwa (1964).
I have a number of older pics of Raja Saheb Tirwa's RR, also an identical photo but a different or better condition print. Sharing them here, I still have more when the car took part in a rally. One photo is colored. Sadly the car is not maintained these days.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-scan-39.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-scan-63.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-scan-65.jpg  

harit is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 05:49   #2344
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,870
Thanked: 3,803 Times
Default Re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boybentley View Post
First owner of #179GY (by Freestone & Webb not Barker) was Lt.-Cmdr. Glen Kidston (of Bentley Boy fame) who took delivery of the car in november 1930, trading in his damaged Phantom II #123WJ.
He was killed in a plane crash 6 months later, so the car was probably up for sale soon after that and found it's way to India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I have a number of older pics of Raja Saheb Tirwa's RR, also an identical photo but a different or better condition print. Sharing them here, I still have more when the car took part in a rally. One photo is colored. Sadly the car is not maintained these days.

Cheers harit
Harit, many thanks for the lovely photos.

It has been suggested that after the accident boybentley mentioned, the body from 123WJ was transferred to 179GY.

Below is a picture of Mrs. Glen Kidston with what should be 123WJ.

It does indeed look very similar to the Tirwa car.
Attached Images
 
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 01:31   #2345
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 49
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I have a number of older pics of Raja Saheb Tirwa's RR, also an identical photo but a different or better condition print. Sharing them here, I still have more when the car took part in a rally. One photo is colored. Sadly the car is not maintained these days.

Cheers harit
I am informed that a local mechanic disassembled the Tirwa PII for "maintenance" and could not put it together again. It disassembled but intact in the Tirwa premises.

Best wishes,
Chhayanat
Chhayanat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 06:10   #2346
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 105
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Harit, many thanks for the lovely photos.

It has been suggested that after the accident boybentley mentioned, the body from 123WJ was transferred to 179GY.

Below is a picture of Mrs. Glen Kidston with what should be 123WJ.

It does indeed look very similar to the Tirwa car.
I think GC2137 is 83WJ, a Thrupp & Maberly limousine de ville.

And, 123WJ was returned to RR by Glen Kidson and in March 1931 sold to Mrs Rich, having been renumbered 134WJEX
Steve Stuckey is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 06:57   #2347
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,870
Thanked: 3,803 Times
Default Re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stuckey View Post
I think GC2137 is 83WJ, a Thrupp & Maberly limousine de ville.

And, 123WJ was returned to RR by Glen Kidson and in March 1931 sold to Mrs Rich, having been renumbered 134WJEX
Thank you Steve. One more "unknown" solved!
travancore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 04:27   #2348
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,870
Thanked: 3,803 Times
Default Re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dewan-govindas-chathurbhujdas-rr-sg-43tbhp.jpg

R-R Silver Ghost, Chassis 43AG.

1921 3/4 Landaulette by Cunard
travancore is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics : Rolls Royces & Bentleys in India jesal Super-Cars & Imports in India 195 20th August 2012 13:25
Why do Rolls Royces "lean back"? D33-PAC Technical Stuff 4 15th April 2012 22:55
Pics : Economic Times Rolls Royce Centenary Rally. Includes 2004 Rolls Royce Phantom v12 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 28 15th February 2009 17:15
Classic ICE: Rolls Royce Silver Spur gunbir In-Car Entertainment 48 21st August 2007 10:07
The new S Class, Rolls Royces and more! gemballa Super-Cars & Imports in India 30 25th February 2006 02:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:21.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks