Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2018, 20:40   #1081
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Poomaram
After a long time got to watch a Malayalam movie in a theatre, and very happy that it was this movie! Despite of mixed reviews I went for this because of the director's previous two efforts, and personally I loved it. I have not experienced the university youth festival scene in Kerala, but the movie literally placed me in there for a couple of hours.

Any negatives - the opening scene was a bit like reading dialogues from a book.
Rating: 4/5
Personally liked it although felt it was not close to either 1983 or Action Hero Biju. Both of those had more depth. Having said that, was a good watch and the songs and the poetry were excellent. Very well shot too.

Some other recent watches (All Malayalam):

Sudani from Nigeria: Lovely little film against the back drop of the 7's football tournaments that are popular in North Kerala. Relationship between a team manager and a Nigerian player. Great performance from the whole cast. Soubin is the only well known name in that cast.

Rating: 3.5/5

Mohanlal: (Yes that is the name of the movie)- Manju Warrier playing the role of a die hard lalettan fan. A simple story of the problems in the life of the couple played by Manju and Indrajith due to the Lal mania. The film is start to end full of references to the iconic characters and dialogs made immortal by Mohanlal. Starts well, then kinds of wanders aimlessly before reaching a decent climax. The reasoning behind Manju becoming a hard core fan is very fleetingly mentioned. Should have focused more on that. Indrajith was very good. Manju I felt was a little over the top-but in line with the character. Lot of others come and go with no real purpose. Soubin was good.

Rating: If you are a Lal fan then it is basically 2 hr 45 min of Lalettan thrown at you via scenes, dialogs, characters. What's not to like... If not, an average pass time watch.

Aalorukkam: Probably not a movie that is well known. This is the one that got Indrans the Kerala State Best Actor Award and also the movie won the National award for the best film on social issues. Had a very limited release. Since I happened to be in Calicut and this was running one show in one theater, went to watch.

An aged man played by Indrans in search of his son who left home 16 years ago. A journalist and a doctor help him trace down his son. But a major surprise in store when they get to meet. His conflict on handling this surprise is the major chunk. Indrans is brilliant and the film is worth a watch just for him. The theme it deals with is also important and there is no drama associated with it. Presented in a matter of fact way.

Rating: An award kind movie no doubt. But worth a watch if you are into deep cinematic experiences. 3.5/5
Old 23rd April 2018, 10:37   #1082
Team-BHP Support

Hey Jude

Watched 'Hey Jude' over the weekend. Found it quite boring in between, to be honest.
The slow pace in an attempt to match the style of ZNMD didnt quite click. If not for the desire to complete watching a movie we started watching, i suppose we would have cut it short and moved on to something else.

It did redeem itself a bit towards the end, but a case of too little, too late, IMHO.
Old 23rd April 2018, 14:26   #1083
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Kannada Movie GULTOO yesterday. Nice movie.
Director Janardhan as usual has done well with this off-beat movie.
This one has released at the right time in the back of the Facebook/Aaadhar data leaks
It is nice to educate people about this when many seem casual about it.
The lead actors in the movie could have done better. Avinash, Rangayana Raghu as usual have done a very good job in their limited roles. U-turn Director Pawan Kumar has also done a decent job with his acting.
The storyline which hops between past and present finally concludes well although I felt the first half is slow and the story doesn't move much.
Overall a nice original Kannada movie which shows the advantages and dangers of the Internet and Big data.
I'd rate it 3.5/5
Old 15th May 2018, 20:00   #1084
BHPian

Watched "Mahanati" Telugu movie over the weekend.
Well made biopic on actress Savithri - showing her rise to and fall from stardom.
Wonderful performances by the lead actors.
Dulquer Salman has done a decent job, even though Telugu is not his mother tongue.
But the lead actress Keerthy Suresh simply steals the show. She breathes and lives as Savithri. Her uncanny resemblance to the late actress is a special bonus. Feels like Keerthy was born to do this role. This movie simply belongs to her.
Makeup artists and costume designers too deserve plaudits.

If you are fan of Savithri, don't miss this one.
My rating: 4.5/5
Old 28th May 2018, 09:58   #1085
BHPian

Watched Ee Ma Yau over the weekend.
If you had liked Lijo's previous films Amen and Angamaly Diaries then this is a must watch one.
Vinayakan, Chemban Vinod, Pauly Valsan and Dileesh Pothan all have delivered a brilliant on screen performance and now I know why last year's state award for supporting actress went to Pauly Valsan.
The strong script, dialogue and background score all combined with an amazing performance from all artist made this movie a masterclass.
The director will make you glued to the screen especially the last 30 minutes and all for a funeral, hot off to him.

Cheers!
Old 30th May 2018, 07:25   #1086
BHPian

A pic shared in FB by malayalam actor Prithviraj Sukumaran from the location (Himalayas) of his upcoming movie #9.

The Regional movies thread!-33921611_209341596524827_3271198060734054400_o.jpg

Isn't this pic a dream of every BHPian?!
Old 30th May 2018, 08:29   #1087
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercury

Expected a good watch but was disappointed. It's just another story but a silent movie. As promoted, you really can't call this a "silent horror" since the actors do make sounds to communicate (no dialogues). BGM was just ok, but loved the cinematography and the green lighting used throughout which gives that eerie feel. And add Prabhu Deva to that situation and he looked scary. Kept watching till the end expecting some super climax but was disappointed. If it's a silent horror you want to watch, "Quiet Place" is miles ahead compared to this.

Rating - 2.5/5
Old 30th May 2018, 11:13   #1088
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Mercury

Expected a good watch but was disappointed. It's just another story but a silent movie. As promoted, you really can't call this a "silent horror" since the actors do make sounds to communicate (no dialogues). BGM was just ok, but loved the cinematography and the green lighting used throughout which gives that eerie feel. And add Prabhu Deva to that situation and he looked scary. Kept watching till the end expecting some super climax but was disappointed. If it's a silent horror you want to watch, "Quiet Place" is miles ahead compared to this.

Rating - 2.5/5
I watched it a couple of days ago. I didn't know that it was a horror movie before watching it. I was only told that it was a silent movie. I would call it a movie made for the deaf than a silent movie. even the story was not well knit I felt.

For me Pushpaka Vimana still is the best Indian Silent movie
Old 30th May 2018, 12:15   #1089
Senior - BHPian

Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum (Stolen Property, Witnesses). I rate it 5/5.

This movie left me stumped and is now my favorite, even over the legendary Malayalam film Drishyam. I won't say too much about the movie but I will go to the extent of saying that every actor in this movie deserves an award. A stellar performance by Fahadh Faasil. Easily his best performance yet. Maheshinte Prathikaram is another front runner for his performance.

About the movie, consider yourself an ordinary person and you loose something that is important to you. You could choose to get it back or you choose to forget about it as it is just too difficult. The ordeal that one goes through is portrayed in this movie so well. It is also about empathy, sympathy and how this affects us in our life.

Highly recommended.
Old 4th June 2018, 10:02   #1090
BHPian

The Hindi Movies Thread

Watched Carry on Jatta 2 on Saturday. For fans of the first movie it is surely a must watch. The theatre was housefull, which is not half bad for a 10:15 P.M show.

The comedy in this movie has been elevated to the next level from the first one. A really good movie to watch with the family. Guaranteed dollops of laughter!

Rating : 4.5/5

Last edited by Eddy : 4th June 2018 at 12:35. Reason: Moved to the correct thread
Old 4th June 2018, 12:37   #1091
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Watched Carry on Jatta 2 on Saturday. For fans of the first movie it is surely a must watch. The theatre was housefull, which is not half bad for a 10:15 P.M show.

The comedy in this movie has been elevated to the next level from the first one. A really good movie to watch with the family. Guaranteed dollops of laughter!

Rating : 4.5/5
My parents had the same opinion about the movie after catching a late night show yesterday.

The show was housefull although that wasn't a surprise considering they were in Rajouri Garden, a punjabi hub

I plan to revise part 1 and then catch up on this.
Old 4th June 2018, 12:52   #1092
Distinguished - BHPian

Diya(Tamil)
Watched this movie over the weekend. After Mercury, this is another Ghost movie from Kollywood that I watched in a week. But compared to Mercury this is much better scripted and directed. The Writer/director (AL Vijay) dedicates to the many unborn babies which he has done justice I felt. But like any other ghost movie, sense takes a back seat. Sai Pallavi has done a commendable job. Music is very good too.
Overall I would rate it 3.5/5
Old 8th June 2018, 23:18   #1093
Distinguished - BHPian

Kaala
One hollow movie with no substance. Boring, predictable, long, beaten-to-death story line. The only good thing in the movie was the Black Thar which again is sadly burnt. It cannot be even saved by Rajini's stylish moves as there are very few of those too. Absolutely missable!
My rating 1/5.
Old 9th June 2018, 05:34   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
KaalaThe only good thing in the movie was the Black Thar which again is sadly burnt. It cannot be even saved...
Completely .

If its any consolation, the Thar has, in real life, been saved and transferred to the Mahindra Research Valley at Chennai. Courtesy Anand Mahindra.

Link

Source

Last edited by Aditya : 9th June 2018 at 07:20. Reason: As requested
Old 9th June 2018, 07:34   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Watched Kannada Movie GULTOO yesterday. Nice movie.
Director Janardhan as usual has done well with this off-beat movie.
Good movie. Would rate it at 4/5.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks