Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2016, 14:01   #4201
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Update
I am glad to report that my Scorpio is back after 12 days.
Engine work is complete.

The following things were done
1. Head Replaced
2. One Piston Replaced
3. Piston Rings Replaced
4. 4 X Sleeves (Complete set) replaced.
5. 4 Push Rods Replaced because they were bent
6. 8 X Push Rod Guides Replaced
7. 8 X Valves Replaced.
8. Timming Chain and All three adjustors replaced.
9. Rocker was slightly bent - Straightened at the Kharad Workshop.
10. Turbo Charger Replaced (Most expensive part at 19K)
11. Fuel Pump, Injectors Serviced and one Injector replaced at Bosch Service Center.

The total expense is around 60 K
Out of this 26 K is for the Turbo Charger and Bosch Service Center.
Rest is around 34K.

The engine starts in half self.
The engine has slightly high clutter noise and vibration when cold right now.
Pickup and Power is just fine.
We are hoping the sound and vibration will settle down once we have driven for a few thousand kms.

Styler
Styler is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 06:59   #4202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Update
Engine work is complete.....
...8. Timming Chain and All three adjustors replaced.
We are hoping the sound and vibration will settle down once we have driven for a few thousand kms.
Styler
Happy to know that your Scorpio is back on its feet again. As you said, the operational parameters (post-repairs) are normal and hopefully the engine clatter & vibrations will attenuate after a while. When you visit the w/shop next, please insist on the recheck/re-adjustment of the tappet clearances.

All the items you have tabulated are vital in such a breakdown and needed to be replaced.
As a matter of interest, was the replacement of the timing chain & adjusters due to excessive wear & tear or as part of
normal repair procedure under the circumstances. I'm filing all this away in case the axe falls on me in the future!

All the best with the car & will look forward to your experience updates.
Shashanka
Old 9th January 2016, 08:37   #4203
BHPian

A few days back the AC in my Scorpio vlx awd stopped cooling. A hissing sound could be heard on putting the AC on. A check at a leading AC repair workshop revealed that the evaporator coil is leaking gas and has to be replaced.
The entire dashboard had to be taken down for the purpose. Its cooling fine now.
The AC technician told me that this is due to a very small gap between the heating coil and the evaporator coil and the heat affects the latter. This is reported in several Scorpios, he said and can be avoided if he bypasses the heater.
Can the experts on the forum confirm this? Should we let go of the heater to protect the evaporator coil?
dr_anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 09:20   #4204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_anurag View Post
A few days back the AC in my Scorpio vlx awd stopped cooling. A hissing sound could be heard on putting the AC on. A check at a leading AC repair workshop revealed that the evaporator coil is leaking gas and has to be replaced.
The entire dashboard had to be taken down for the purpose. Its cooling fine now.
The AC technician told me that this is due to a very small gap between the heating coil and the evaporator coil and the heat affects the latter. This is reported in several Scorpios, he said and can be avoided if he bypasses the heater.
Can the experts on the forum confirm this? Should we let go of the heater to protect the evaporator coil?
Hello Dr. Anurag,

This is a new one, to be honest! I've been using my Scorpio for the past 11 years (as has Styler & I'm sure many other members too) and I've had no issues reported by the service staff re. the heater interfering with the evaporator coil, to the point that the latter springs a leak. Over the years a couple of leaks have occurred in the system (requiring re-charging of refrigerant) but the service staff did not mention the above reason.

In my experience (as a marine engineer on board ships) I have often come across leaks in piping caused by rubbing wear due to vibration - when two pipes in close proximity start rubbing against each other. This is usually the result of carelessness in assembly/layout of piping or due to careless re-assembly after an earlier repair.

I look forward to the feedback from other Scorpio owners on this issue.
Old 9th January 2016, 09:54   #4205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update
Engine work is complete.

The following things were done
Hi Styler,
Glad to see your scorpio back on the road.
Since you have some vital new parts, especially 4 new cylinder sleeves and one new piston, it is better to restrict the engine rpm up to 2000 - 2500 only. This will allow the new sliding parts to run-in.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th March 2019 at 09:11. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 9th January 2016, 09:57   #4206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_anurag View Post

Good that you replaced the evaporator coil without delay.

The leaking evaporator coil will release dangerous AC gas into the cabin. Continuous emission of such gas into the cabin, especially when the AC is in re-circulation mode poses threat to life.
Rahul Bhalgat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 10:36   #4207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Happy to know that your Scorpio is back on its feet again. As you said, the operational parameters (post-repairs) are normal and hopefully the engine clatter & vibrations will attenuate after a while. When you visit the w/shop next, please insist on the recheck/re-adjustment of the tappet clearances.

All the items you have tabulated are vital in such a breakdown and needed to be replaced.
As a matter of interest, was the replacement of the timing chain & adjusters due to excessive wear & tear or as part of
normal repair procedure under the circumstances. I'm filing all this away in case the axe falls on me in the future!

All the best with the car & will look forward to your experience updates.
Shashanka
Hi Shashanka

The timing chain and adjusters were initially fine. Some carelessness in the workshop by a junior mechanic (He turned the engine in reverse by spinning the wheel in reverse while adjusting tapets) caused the chain to stretch slightly and caused some damage to adjuster. If this hadnt happened the timming chain and adjusters were perfect to continue.

The engine was not even removed initially to fit in the new sleeves and piston. These were done from under the engine opening the chamber. Later we realized that something else was broken, and the engine taken out. There we found a Jumping rod guide broken into 2 pieces.

I forgot to mention, some other minor things were also done i.e. Radiator cleaning for the first time after 1.25 kms. All hoses were replaced.

Engine is settling down as I drive and it runs-in. I have driven it for about 150kms already. We have decided to get the tappets adjusted when the car does about 1000 kms and a week.

Styler
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 10:38   #4208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi Styler,
Glad to see your scorpio back on the road.
Since you have some vital new parts, especially 4 new cylinder sleeves and one new piston, it is better to restrict the engine rpm up to 2000 - 2500 only. This will allow the new sliding parts to run-in.
Yes sure 2000-2500 rpm is a lot for this engine. I have noticed that the speed in 5th gear at 1500 rpm is 65.
Old 9th January 2016, 15:00   #4209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Later we realized that something else was broken, and the engine taken out. There we found a Jumping rod guide broken into 2 pieces.
I would really like to know what a jumping rod guide in an engine is.
There is certainly a mistake here. There is no such component in an engine.
Could it be a valve guide? I cannot imagine what other 'guide' there is inside an engine.
Old 9th January 2016, 19:07   #4210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I would really like to know what a jumping rod guide in an engine is.
There is certainly a mistake here. There is no such component in an engine.
Could it be a valve guide? I cannot imagine what other 'guide' there is inside an engine.
Sorry that was a slip. I meant the Push rod guide.

Last edited by Styler : 9th January 2016 at 19:29.
Old 10th January 2016, 06:32   #4211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Shashanka

The timing chain and adjusters were initially fine. Some carelessness in the workshop by a junior ............. decided to get the tappets adjusted when the car does about 1000 kms and a week.
Styler
Its good to know that the timing chain assembly was OK & the issue was the mechanics carelessness. I have had experience of this too - being the sacrificial goat on the altar of an inexperienced mechanic!

I'd forgotten to ask about the radiator tho' it had been in my list of queries. But yes, @ 1.25K kms getting the radiator de-scaled is very much on the cards. Specially keeping in mind that most of us are using RO systems at home to get rid of the steadily increasing amounts of TDS content in the water (Lucknow bore well water!). I am using just the Coolant to top up when needed, without using any water at all (distilled battery water is popular I've noticed). I've been doing this since I had my radiator cleaned & have had no cooling issues since then.

Stick to a reasonable rpm (under 1500) till the running-in is over (500 km is a safe target) since a complete new set of sleeves/piston rings is as good as running-in a new engine. And despite all the hot-air claims that contemporary mfrs have about their engines requiring no running-in restrictions, just follow the tried & tested route on this one. Stick to the 1000-1500 rpm limit for the running-in.

Okedoke Styler, looking forward to your next bulletin.
Shashanka

Last edited by shashanka : 10th January 2016 at 06:37. Reason: Typo error!
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 10:32   #4212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Can be retro-fitted to all Refresh models of Scorpio. There is also a particle filter that M&M has introduced for the fresh air vent below the windscreen. You can retro-fit that too.
Any idea if 2012 Scorpio Lx has both these filters
While cleaning my car, i removed and cleaned the AC mesh filter in the front glove box.

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-mesh.jpg

I think the particle filter you are mentioning is this:

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-carbon-filter.jpg

Where is the particle filter located near the windscreen. Can it be easily reached and cleaned/replaced as a DIY for 2012 LX?

Note: Images taken from internet.
Old 11th January 2016, 09:14   #4213
BHPian

I had an unfortunate incident with my TPMS sensor on Fri. There was a puncture on the Rear right tyre and the cut was a horizontal cut due to a piece of bone which had got embedded. I had gone to a proper tyre dealer and requested him to swap the tyres (between the allow wheel and the non allow wheel). In spite of asking them to be careful while removing the tyre because of the TPMS sensor, they managed to destroy one of the valve. They also broke the sensor housing. I have fixed the sensor housing which has the screw using fewiquick. I have also determined that the sensor is working perfectly. But the schrader valve which has a brass stem with a threaded nut is not available anywhere?

Has anyone sourced this valve online. How much does the valve cost? I am at Pune. Any pointers on where I can source them?

I did call up the service center but they are insisting on booking an appointment which is more than a week from now . So I am at my wits end to figure out how to source the valve

Last edited by mbhangui : 11th January 2016 at 09:15.
Old 11th January 2016, 13:38   #4214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhangui View Post
I had an unfortunate incident with my TPMS sensor on Fri. There was a puncture on the Rear right tyre and the cut was a horizontal cut due to a piece of bone which had got embedded. I had gone to a proper tyre dealer and requested him to swap the tyres (between the allow wheel and the non allow wheel). In spite of asking them to be careful while removing the tyre because of the TPMS sensor, they managed to destroy one of the valve. They also broke the sensor housing. I have fixed the sensor housing which has the screw using fewiquick. I have also determined that the sensor is working perfectly. But the schrader valve which has a brass stem with a threaded nut is not available anywhere?

Has anyone sourced this valve online. How much does the valve cost? I am at Pune. Any pointers on where I can source them?

I did call up the service center but they are insisting on booking an appointment which is more than a week from now . So I am at my wits end to figure out how to source the valve
I think for minor jobs you can simply walk in for a Running Repair without an appointment. One week appointment ....... Mahindra service center quality is the one reason I will not buy a Mahindra Vehicle again.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 13:46   #4215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...... Mahindra service center quality is the one reason I will not buy a Mahindra Vehicle again.
Exactly my sentiment too!
I did not buy a M&M after selling my 9 years old Scorpio recently. Got myself a Honda Mobilio petrol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks