Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2017, 13:16   #4306
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Hi Shashanka
I also have a 2003 Non-CRDE Scorpio which is hard to let go off. I have done about 1.4 lac kms, with 3 trips to Leh, and a trip to Spiti along with many other memorable trips.

It is really good that you got your Turbocharger fixed in time. The last time I had gone to Mahindra Authorized Service center for service they told me that the Turbo was leaking some oil but since it was an old vehicle I can just let it run.

A few days after that I had a Engine Run-away and it was badly damaged. The reason for this is the Turbo leaking oil which at some point starts getting burnt.

I did not give up, and with my trusted mechanics we restored the Engine. We replaced the Head with a second hand one, and replaced all other essential parts like Piston Rings, Valves, Valve Guides and many other parts. I decided to replace the Turbo Charger with a new one from Mahindra which costed me around 14.5K. Total expense on doing the engine was about 65,000. The Engine was rebuilt in Jan 2016, and the Scorpios is just fine now. I have done a few trips to the hills after that including a trip to Spiti in June 2016. I am also saddened by the fact that I will have to let it go when it completes 15 years. I still have the confidence to take the Scorpio for any trip tomorrow. If old vehicles are well maintained and you know everything about them, they are more reliable than any new Vehicle. Best part of this one is No ECU, No Engine Check Light, No need for Laptops....

Styler

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th March 2019 at 09:03. Reason: spacing
Styler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 17:25   #4307
Senior - BHPian

Give me a manual transfer case lever anyday like the one in the Thar. Even my Landcruiser and Prados had manual levers.

However the Scorpio M Hawk had this Borg Warner transfer case. The motor failed at 60,000 KM on this 6 years and 3 months old Scorpio. Replacement bill Rs. 18,000 at the Mahindra ASC
Old 21st May 2017, 11:29   #4308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Give me a manual transfer case lever anyday like the one in the Thar. Even my Landcruiser and Prados had manual levers.

However the Scorpio M Hawk had this Borg Warner transfer case. The motor failed at 60,000 KM on this 6 years and 3 months old Scorpio. Replacement bill Rs. 18,000 at the Mahindra ASC
It is a manual shifter with a motor/solenoid attached, so it can be converted to a manual shiter. One of the members here, rigged a manual lever to the shifter after taking the motor out.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 07:39   #4309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Hi Shashanka
I also have a 2003 Non-CRDE Scorpio which is hard to let go off. I have done about 1.4 lac kms, with 3 trips to Leh, and a trip to Spiti along with many other memorable trips......
Hello Styler,
Great hearing from you after this gap - I'm really happy that your Scorpio is up & running again! I have this feeling that the Scorpio is basically a vehicle that needs a good gallop every now and then - trips to the hills and to Spiti is right up its street. That original engine (2.6 turbo non-crde) is as near bullet-proof as one can get! It's a pity that the M&M ASC is staffed with duffers & bean counters! - this is one major chink in M&M's armour, their ASC performance, specially for the long-time owners. But like you said - no ECU gremlins to worry about!
Regards,
Shashanka

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th March 2019 at 09:03. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 24th May 2017, 16:45   #4310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
It is a manual shifter with a motor/solenoid attached, so it can be converted to a manual shiter. One of the members here, rigged a manual lever to the shifter after taking the motor out.
That's one great idea! - solenoid operated servos are wonderful while they last. But once the solenoid mechanism (the solenoid coil itself, the servo linkage etc) starts acting up, the headaches multiply. Bypassing the solenoid mechanism successfully - as our member has done - is one neat solution. Many solenoid applications (including maritime industry) have standby fail-safe mechanisms (till such time as repairs are carried out).
Old 30th May 2017, 17:19   #4311
BHPian

I had a problem with my Scorpio S10 1.99 on a highway.
This vehicle was bought in March this year so it has been just 2 months and not even 5k kms.

At odometer about 1.5k kms I could hear some noise while pressing the clutch.
I took it to Koncept Mahindra in Greater Noida.
At first they were not ready to admit that the noise was there.
Then later on after multiple test runs by 2-3 people and my pursuasion they finally admitted it.

It was told to me at that time that the clutch pedal bolts needed some adjustment and that it has been done.

After a few days the noise cropped up again although intermittently while on a highway.
Then suddenly I heard a crackling sound and I saw one sheared off bolt fallen near my foot.
The clutch pedal also got tilted to one side.
The vehicle was in good speed but I somehow managed to bring it towards the left and then to a halt safely.

Called up Mahindra customer care for assistance and then started the harrowing ordeal of phone calls and emails while being stranded on the highway with family.

Although it was possible to run the car but I decided against it to avoid any further damages.

After much discussion with various dealerships it was finally concluded that the best course of action was to get it repaired by a local mechanic and then claim warranty repair after getting back to home since we were quite far off from any city and about 200 kms from home.

Managed to get it repaired temporarily and get back home alive and well.

Is it possible to file a court case against the dealership for extreme negligence on their part?
If yes, then what kind of lawyer would be required for this?
Old 1st June 2017, 11:30   #4312
BHPian

Finally the clutch pedal and box assembly was renewed under warranty by Koncept.

A few pictures of the broken bolt and temporary repair done by brazing the thread of the bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-_img_000000_000000.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-img20170529wa0002.jpg  

Kestrel5915 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 10:15   #4313
Senior - BHPian

Back in India after 6 weeks, the Scorpio (2008) running perfectly thanks to the dedicated weekly start managed by the better half.

However the following seem to have gone kaput:

i. Both the front and rear glass washer motors (4th pair in last 3 years).
ii. The TPMS is struck at front left tyre indicator blinking and display showing SE. Any pointers on how to reset the system, nothing seems to be working.
iii. The engine check light came in for a few kms., however on stopping and unplugging the ECU connection and restarting it is gone.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 13:18   #4314
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel5915 View Post
Finally the clutch pedal and box assembly was renewed under warranty by Koncept.
Good to know that they replaced it.
Koncept used to have very good mechanics a few years ago, especially for the Scorpio at their outlet near the HCL campus at Noida. Is that where you go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
i. Both the front and rear glass washer motors (4th pair in last 3 years).
ii. The TPMS is struck at front left tyre indicator blinking and display showing SE. Any pointers on how to reset the system, nothing seems to be working.
iii. The engine check light came in for a few kms., however on stopping and unplugging the ECU connection and restarting it is gone.
1. Replace the motors and pipes. There is definitely some sludge in the circuit which keeps spoiling them again and again. Wash the water bottle very thoroughly or replace it too and use distilled water henceforth.

2. The first editions of the TPMS were pretty erratic and will need resetting again to get it back to normal. It is a known bugbear with the earlier batches.

3. Since there is no light now, best to forget about it if the vehicle is performing normally.

It is amazing to see that you have held on to your Scorpio for so long now, in spite of your vehicle posts contributing to 25%? of this thread.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 15:27   #4315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Koncept used to have very good mechanics a few years ago, especially for the Scorpio at their outlet near the HCL campus at Noida. Is that where you go?
No I'm currently in Greater Noida and they have a service center here.

People have suggested going to Koncept Lajpat Nagar but that's a bit far off.
Old 7th June 2017, 23:31   #4316
BHPian

So here's an update on my clutch issue.
Although the clutch pedal and box assembly was replaced but the clutch noise came back again slowly but surely.
At first I thought that it might be something psychological but then wife also told me the same thing.
And then we realized that it is very much real.

Spoke to Mahindra again directly and told them that we need to get this thing checked by some competent guys.
The regional manager directed me to another service center in Sahibabad and he himself also came to have a look at it.

They decided to replace the master cylinder this time along with hydraulic oil renewal, both under warranty.
Hydraulic system for the clutch was bled, alignment of the clutch pedal was checked and pedal load was measured.

I asked them about the clutch release bearing but they said that it is highly unlikely that the bearing is damaged.

He has asked me to give the feedback after a few days of driving.

So basically I'm keeping my fingers crossed this time.

In the meantime, anyone has any other ideas or experience about this issue?

Last edited by Kestrel5915 : 7th June 2017 at 23:40. Reason: Adding more info
Old 12th June 2017, 17:40   #4317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
========
It is amazing to see that you have held on to your Scorpio for so long now, in spite of your vehicle posts contributing to 25%? of this thread.
Thanks Sir.

I have been thinking of selling for the last 2 years, however, since the time I stopped going to the Mahindra A.S.S., the car has been performing perfectly.

Additionally, for the last one year I have been traveling around the globe due to a change in work responsibilities so the running has been absolutely minimal and since I don't trust anyone else to drive it so the running is less than 200 kms. a month so it dose not make sense selling and buying a new car.

In the last 1 year I did the oil & filter change myself and got the brake booster replced from a local garage apart from some minor tinkering around.

So currently 2 tyres are almost on their last leg, so last time round my local puncture wallah offered me a used pair in a almost new condition for 4000 a pair. Not getting time to get around to do that.

So apart from the Washer motors (can you suggest a reliable brand), TPMS, and non working security alarm (the auto lock and the key fob work perfectly but there is no sound on locking / unlocking and on touching the car [I pulled out the hooter and checked, it is working so seems to be the issue with the security system]) rest of the vehicle is performing brilliantly.

Plus I took cue from my boss in the US who recently purchased a used 2009 Tuscon (105K Kms.) and was ga ga about it to retain my Scorpio till I have a less traveling profile

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th March 2019 at 09:04. Reason: trimmed quoted post
m_upreti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 18:13   #4318
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
So apart from the Washer motors (can you suggest a reliable brand), TPMS, and non working security alarm (the auto lock and the key fob work perfectly but there is no sound on locking / unlocking and on touching the car [I pulled out the hooter and checked, it is working so seems to be the issue with the security system]) rest of the vehicle is performing brilliantly.
Maruti washer motors are a perfect fit for the Scorpio water bottle and work well too. If the hooter isn't working, check if it is getting power supply from the source. If that happens, it should work.

The Scorpio has always been a basically reliable vehicle with its own quirks but it always gets you home, with or without TMPS...!!!
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 09:31   #4319
Distinguished - BHPian

Having a weird problem with my '13 Scorpio. Fuel gauge seems to come down to zero at random! First time it happened, I was shocked and stopped to check if I had punctured the fuel tank. No signs of any leak. Filled up from a bunk nearby and it hardly took 8-9 litres. Didn't happen for quite sometime after that. Yesterday when the fuel was at half way mark it happened again. Stopped again to make sure there was no leak, all looked fine. Reached home safely. Today morning, it is back to normal.

What could be the problem? Will getting this checked involve dismantling the fuel tank? I had got my last service from a Bosch service center (Sheetla Mata Road, GGN) and will most probably take it to the same place as the owner Mr.Devender seemed really knowledgeable to me.

Anyone faced anything similar?
Old 22nd June 2017, 13:21   #4320
BHPian

hi,

1. where is the rear windshield tank/motor situated?? Mine is not working!
2. Clutch has become hard, Gear engaging needs it to be fully pressed, although no slippage, what could be the reason?

thanks in Advance!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks