Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Bangalore
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 19:40   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Exterior Detailing at your doorstep : Ultimate Detailerz (Bangalore)

Some background: I like to keep my cars in good shape and expectations are very high. After having spent truck loads of money and effort I have realized that the finish and shine disappears just after few washes. I wash the cars my self and I have bought my own polishing machine, wax, microfiber towels and the works. I am not getting exceptional results, but at least I am not wasting money on these so called detailers. Basically I have lost my faith in profession detailing and just managing with DIY to the best of my abilities. I follow the detailing threads on this forum regularly and I came across the work done by Ultimate Detailerz. So when we bought a new BMW 520D recently, I wanted to get it detailed through them and see if they are really 'ultimate' ;-)

Initial contact and appointment:
They responded to email, SMS, phone calls very promptly. They have a queue and they work out a slot. I tried to jump the queue but they were very ethical about not doing that and gave me the usual slot as per their work queue. Since it is a new car, they suggested the 3-step protection package, but I told them the dealership messed up the finish and hence the it might not be a standard job. mkh@ asked me to arrange for inspection and he drove through the terrible Bangalore traffic after his office hours, came to my office and inspected the car. He said it needs to be a custom package as there are lot of water marks and polish marks that BMW dealership inflicted on my new car.

As you can guess, the dealership glazes the car like crazy and its not easy to make out these things on delivery. But I have come to expect nothing but abuse from dealerships and workshops. My cars always received maximum damage at the A.S.S, so I was half-expecting it. If you think this car costs half-a-crore, so might be parked in closed garrage, ha-ha to you. It is parked like any other car in the open yard till it gets delivered.

So anyways, we got the appoint fixed - but went through few reschedules because of some unexpected changes - mkh@ reconfirmed the schedule a day before and it was all set.

Detailing experience:
mkh@ and nirmaljustdoit@ both came to my place, they carry loooottt of things. I am no noob, yet still, I was overwhelmed. All their stuff is top-of-the-line and not available in India. They gave the car a thorough inspection and pointed out all the blemishes the finish has. The good thing is, they work out localized correction only as the package is customized to what is needed.

Having experienced 3M, A.S.S and my own DYI, I can clearly see that these guys show 'respect' to the car. I am tired of seeing the 3M/A.S.S people scrubbing my car with rags - so it was refreshing to see these guy show a lot of care in their work. It is the small stuff - don't drag the cables over the car or dont nick the car panels with machines, tools, etc.

Another things is, they make it all this seem effortless. Being a DIY guy, I know it is their experience at work.

The work per say I would say is the 'text-book' routine: I kept the car washed and ready. They cleaned the fine dust, completed claying, corrected the specific areas that had water spots, polish marks, etc. Once the correction stage is completed they have asked me to walk around the car to see if everything is to my satisfaction. To be honest: "They had me at hello" :-) So I pretended to inspect fully knowing that they are have much better eye for detail than me and they are doing a fabulous job. After this phase, they went about the 3-step protection package. This is the stuff you keep reading about in all those international detailing forums but you never get people who are that passionate and who use such expensive/imported materials. I would say these guys figured it out.

Now comes the really pleasant part. They explain to me and our driver how to clean the car without using water so that the cleaning is really hassle free and the protection they have applied lasts longer. The Japasu duster, microfiber and optimum-no-rinse combination is awesome. I am writing this review after using this no-rinse wash technique for a couple of days. It really works. I just needs to wax the car regularly and the number of 'water washes' will be coming down dramatically. I bought the Japasu duster and optimum-no-rinse liquid from them gladly. Was tired of washing the car with water and getting all those swirl marks back in no time.

Summary:
Well, sorry if this whole review sounds as if it is a paid review. Maybe it is, but I am the one who paid :-) I paid 5,500 for the correction + protection. I paid more to 3M to get similar stuff done on my Laura. Some more cash paid to buy Japasu duster and no-rinse liquid, etc. as per the actuals.

This BMW shade is called "Black Saphire" or something which is actually a dull shade of black unlike "Jet Black" so it is not a "out-of-this-world" colour and pictures don't wow. Their work is terrific. Equipment and materials are top of the line, but even I have nearly the same stuff in my DIY kit which I spent a fortune on. But what I admire the most is they have respect for the car and passion for this work.

Some pics:

Before:
Tons of water marks on the hood and trunk lid because the car must have been parked in the open yard for days. The dealer used jugaad rotary polisher with cheap paste with low-wage contractor which is not fit to touch this car. If you think your high-end car gets any special treatment - nice try.
Exterior and Interior Detailing for Cars and Bikes : Ultimate Detailerz (Bangalore)-30042011323.jpg
Exterior and Interior Detailing for Cars and Bikes : Ultimate Detailerz (Bangalore)-30042011325.jpg

After:
Not sure how much can be seen in the pictures, but the surface finish was blemish-free even before the 3-step protection. The 3-step protection gives the gloss and makes the "dry/no-rinse" cleaning possible.

Exterior and Interior Detailing for Cars and Bikes : Ultimate Detailerz (Bangalore)-30042011334.jpg
Exterior and Interior Detailing for Cars and Bikes : Ultimate Detailerz (Bangalore)-30042011350.jpg
Exterior and Interior Detailing for Cars and Bikes : Ultimate Detailerz (Bangalore)-30042011356.jpg
Exterior and Interior Detailing for Cars and Bikes : Ultimate Detailerz (Bangalore)-30042011333.jpg
Exterior and Interior Detailing for Cars and Bikes : Ultimate Detailerz (Bangalore)-20110430bmwpolishimg_4550_fl.jpg
Exterior and Interior Detailing for Cars and Bikes : Ultimate Detailerz (Bangalore)-20110430bmwpolishimg_4548_fl.jpg
Exterior and Interior Detailing for Cars and Bikes : Ultimate Detailerz (Bangalore)-30042011342.jpg
androdev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 20:13   #77
Senior - BHPian

Your car looks awesome with the 'just out of the showroom' look, androdev! The detailing job seems completely worth it's price.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 20:40   #78
Senior - BHPian

Amazing job nirmal and mkh!!

@androdev - I'd be very afraid of those guys playing cricket in the background!!!

Especially with a freshly detailed paint!
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 23:04   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Your car looks awesome with the 'just out of the showroom' look, androdev! The detailing job seems completely worth it's price.
Ironically, the car looked total mess "just out of the showroom". This is how it should have been. My next car will follow this approach: "unload from the truck, complete PDI and deliver" no one from a.s.s touches the car except for PDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Amazing job nirmal and mkh!!

@androdev - I'd be very afraid of those guys playing cricket in the background!!!

Especially with a freshly detailed paint!
Would you believe it, nirmal asked the kids to halt their IPL during the photo shoot, he was more concerned about the car than me!
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 23:13   #80
Senior - BHPian

^Its natural! Like If I detailed my car and basically spent like hours polishing the paint to perfection, I wouldn't want anyone to even touch the paint(as that might marr the finish or induce swirls etc.) + Most ppl don't know that car's paint is not to be touched come what may(a lil flexibility is allowed! like for instance I directly touch my car's door handle with my bare hand, but I never touch the paint on the metal panels without my microfiber towels!).

It all stars when you start taking perfection seriously. I'm kinda obsessive about that!

btw great ride there!

-------

Also, I don't understand whats with people calling that the 'car is looking as if its just out of showroom'!?

I feel its an insult to the detailer. After all the attention to detail work by nirmal and mkh on the paint, is it even comparable to the finish of a car that has just left showroom? I don't think so!

I feel this finish is amongst that of a show car! (Show car finish)

Showroom finish = heavily glazed, swirled, buffer swirls all over(optional), oily trim dressing overshooting onto paintwork, cheap tire shine that slings, dirty old yellow rag(the one available at traffic lights) used to 'clean' the paint and all that by ppl who have no idea what they're doing!!

Last edited by sohail99 : 3rd May 2011 at 23:21.
sohail99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 10:03   #81
BANNED

@Androdev
Great write up man, its certainly a pain to see people who sell you the cars to treat them like "just another one"
Remember NOT to get your car washed there, i have stopped it completely as they mess it up!
Great ride you got, take good care.
@Sohail- you are spot on, showroom finish is most pathetic in outside india too what to talk about our guys, my friend had a new Lexus delivered with swirls in the US!!
Sunrise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 10:30   #82
Senior - BHPian

You people are very lucky to be residing in B'lore.
@mkh/nirmaljustdoit : is it possible to extend your remarkable work till Chennai.
I also very badly need a full paint correction and Swril removal in my Linea.
I used to come to B'lore often but all are official trip in my car.
But i don't find any spare time to do this work over there.

I'll try to spend some time to make over my car with your help sometimes next month.
Please send me your contact details so that i can call up you guys and schedule it.

if it's possible for you guys to come Chennai then it's well and good for Bhpians belongs to Chennai. Think over it
aks_karthik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 20:23   #83
Senior - BHPian

Definitely send me a buzz if there is anything happenning at Chennai as well
Old 19th May 2011, 14:10   #84
Team-BHP Support

Do you guys know anyone like yourselves in Mumbai? There are a few people but they don't do an as thorough job as you guys.
Old 19th May 2011, 15:25   #85
BHPian

Hi Akshay - thanks for the appreciation ! Currently we have no information of any detailing units in Mumbai, but depending on future requirements, we may decide to drop in there for some time !
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:05   #86
Senior - BHPian

Last weekend me and two of friends, got our cars detailed by Mohsin and Nirmal. It was a thoroughly professional job what they've done. My friends who have around 3 years old car are gleaming with joy when their cars again transformed back to it's original glory(actually it was better than how they were in condition).
They first started with claying and followed it up with compounding. My friend's Red Swift has taken the most time for compounding as there were loads of issues with the paint/repaints that was done earlier on the car. But after these guys run their magic it was looking so awesome.
The White D'zire of the other friend was looking faded before it came for the detailing and after detailing it was looking like whiter white.
My car, the Scorpio didn't needed compounding job and so it was only protection part they've done and even after that I felt that the car was actually looking better than what it was initially from the showroom. And oh, BTW, that day in the rain I could see the beading effect on my car's bonnet.
Overall, a weekend very well spent and really happy with the result. Great job guys. Highly recommended.
kaushik_s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:20   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Last weekend me and two of friends, got our cars detailed by Mohsin and Nirmal. It was a thoroughly professional job what they've done. My friends who have around 3 years old car are gleaming with joy when their cars again transformed back to it's original glory(actually it was better than how they were in condition).
They first started with claying and followed it up with compounding. My friend's Red Swift has taken the most time for compounding as there were loads of issues with the paint/repaints that was done earlier on the car. But after these guys run their magic it was looking so awesome.
The White D'zire of the other friend was looking faded before it came for the detailing and after detailing it was looking like whiter white.
My car, the Scorpio didn't needed compounding job and so it was only protection part they've done and even after that I felt that the car was actually looking better than what it was initially from the showroom. And oh, BTW, that day in the rain I could see the beading effect on my car's bonnet.
Overall, a weekend very well spent and really happy with the result. Great job guys. Highly recommended.
Any pics of the work done? Did not see any pics also on their FB Page. What color was the scorpio?
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:25   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemantbsutar View Post
Any pics of the work done? Did not see any pics also on their FB Page. What color was the scorpio?
Will upload the pics soon. They are still lying in my camera. It's a Black colored Scorpio. Nirmal has taken some pics of the Swift but not sure if he has uploaded or not.
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:27   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Will upload the pics soon. They are still lying in my camera. It's a Black colored Scorpio. Nirmal has taken some pics of the Swift but not sure if he has uploaded or not.
Black- man that is the toughest to maintain but the biggest joy to see I got two blacks, so i know the experience first hand. Looking forward to seeing your pics.
Old 8th June 2011, 13:19   #90
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Hi Kaushik,
Will be great to see the pics, your camera was very nice indeed and am sure the pics would have come out very nice. Its quite rewarding to see the final pics. Any pics of the red swift too will be welcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks