Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2018, 20:43   #2491
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
That sly guy slithered his way back to office and made a note against my car log that I have unauthorized electrical device attached and made a note as a "Camera Equipment". This I noticed only when I got my invoice back.
You have not mentioned if your camera was hardwired. From what you have narrated, it doesn't seem as if the guy checked how it was powered. I am assuming your rear camera was not hardwired. Didn't you question them? Did you ask them why it was 'unauthorised'?
Old 19th October 2018, 21:12   #2492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
That sly guy slithered his way back to office and made a note against my car log that I have unauthorized electrical device attached and made a note as a "Camera Equipment". This I noticed only when I got my invoice back.

If you are actually using your 12v socket instead of tapping from any other component source, you should take some action to safeguard your warranty and remove that tag in the company system.

Like maybe email the company inbox with the scanned copy of the bill, pics of the connection from the proper 12v socket and input power specs of the camera. Best to have the company clarify this now than wait till later, when you actually have need of the warranty policy.
Old 21st October 2018, 19:03   #2493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
You have not mentioned if your camera was hardwired. From what you have narrated, it doesn't seem as if the guy checked how it was powered. I am assuming your rear camera was not hardwired. Didn't you question them? Did you ask them why it was 'unauthorised'?
Anything not sold as MGA (Maruti Genuine Accessory) or MGP (Maruti Genuine Part) and not installed in any of their service centre is deemed "Unauthorized". This includes even engine oil. You may buy Oil from outside and get it poured in service centre, but they still will void your warranty. As quoted by Service Centre Head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth_sx View Post
If you are actually using your 12v socket instead of tapping from any other component source, you should take some action to safeguard your warranty and remove that tag in the company system.

Like maybe email the company inbox with the scanned copy of the bill, pics of the connection from the proper 12v socket and input power specs of the camera. Best to have the company clarify this now than wait till later, when you actually have need of the warranty policy.
I did ask them sometime back (before they knew of the dashcams in my car), but they refused to comment saying that anything non-MGA or non-MGP if used will make my warranty void. If I tap the fuse box and hardwire anything non-MGA/MGP, even if its done in MASS, warranty stand void.

I sincerely advice against hardwire (At least for Maruti owners) since Maruti is blatantly ignorant of passenger safety and best interests even though it might help them increase their brand value and consumer confidence for the trust that our Indian population has put on them for several decades.
prithm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 19:13   #2494
BHPian

Can anyone suggest me a good Dashcam with the following requirements for my out of warranty Grand i10:

1. Cost under Rs 6000.
2. No battery for safety reasons as i stay in a pretty hot city.
3. No screen as i would prefer watching the videos on a computer or a phone.
4. I will hardwire the camera as i need the lighter port to charge my phone and have no wires blocking my vision.
5. An anti glare one would be great to help record in the undivided roads and bright sunny days.

I have personally shortlisted the one below so would like to hear if any other better option is available ? https://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_009344135394.html

Last edited by Mr. Nobody : 21st October 2018 at 19:14.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 10:33   #2495
Senior - BHPian

Hi friends
I have a query on the DVR settings. Please advise

I have this xiaomi DVR fixed inside my car.

What I have noticed is, when I download the videos on my mobile and play on TV, it records the video of very high quality when car is traveling at lower speeds till 40 KMPH. But, above 60 KMPH, the video quality is good but it is not as smooth as the video recorded at slow speeds. I feel the video becomes a bit clumsy.

Is there any reason for this? Is there any setting that I can change ? Please let me know
Old 22nd October 2018, 10:44   #2496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Hi friends
I have a query on the DVR settings. Please advise

I have this xiaomi DVR fixed inside my car.

What I have noticed is, when I download the videos on my mobile and play on TV, it records the video of very high quality when car is traveling at lower speeds till 40 KMPH. But, above 60 KMPH, the video quality is good but it is not as smooth as the video recorded at slow speeds. I feel the video becomes a bit clumsy.

Is there any reason for this? Is there any setting that I can change ? Please let me know
Check if the video resolution is set at 1080 60fps, the frame rate can cause the videos to appear jagged, try switching between 30fps and 60fps, and select the resolution which gives better results.
Also if you select 60fps, the recording quality might reduce during night times. (read more darker areas)

Last edited by francis_vaz : 22nd October 2018 at 10:48.
francis_vaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 16:51   #2497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
Can anyone suggest me a good Dashcam with the following requirements for my out of warranty Grand i10:

1. Cost under Rs 6000.
2. No battery for safety reasons as i stay in a pretty hot city.
3. No screen as i would prefer watching the videos on a computer or a phone.
4. I will hardwire the camera as i need the lighter port to charge my phone and have no wires blocking my vision.
5. An anti glare one would be great to help record in the undivided roads and bright sunny days.

I have personally shortlisted the one below so would like to hear if any other better option is available ? https://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_009344135394.html
This one looks way better with twin camera and twin recording. Hard wire kit also available. https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07CYZW4ZY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=A3FYXQJMGFKEGM&psc=1

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07CZVPPSK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A3FYXQJMGFKEGM&psc=1

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...JMGFKEGM&psc=1

Old 25th October 2018, 11:11   #2498
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, any recommendations for a dash cam?

Requirements:

1. Preferably capacitor based;
2. will be hard wiring but the camera will be frequently swapped between 2 cars (hardwired in each car).
3. Max budget: around 6-7K

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th October 2018, 13:41   #2499
BHPian

I have ordered a yi dashcam from aliexpress, will get it soon. I have a question: Is it possible to power the dashcam from a USB port ? USB should be 5 volt right?
Old 25th October 2018, 16:03   #2500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravanekar View Post
I have ordered a yi dashcam from aliexpress, will get it soon. I have a question: Is it possible to power the dashcam from a USB port ? USB should be 5 volt right?
USB is always 5V. You can connect it to any USB port in the car if its giving 1A power.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 11:25   #2501
BHPian

Have tried to repurpose my unused Asus Zenfone 4 as a dashcam, using CamOnRoad app with moderate success. Issues faced were:

* The quality of videos recorded were average, sometimes also got the orientation wrong despite putting up the phone in landscape mode.
* The device battery is not particularly long-lasting and somehow the 12v DC socket didn't always charge properly. Ensured that this is not a problem with my Ecosport, rather of device or charging cable/12v cigarette lighter-charging unit.
* Reliable dash-mount: all of the options I used came off at one point or another , inconveniencing me to park the car, refit the equipment and restart the journey!

Now I think I must look for a dedicated DVR / dash-cam ! Not that it may help me in case of an accident, but some supplementary proof atleast to convince me.

Is it only me, or are there others who wish car manufacturers gave the dashcam as OEM fitting, albeit as an optional one !?

Last edited by KrisTvpm : 26th October 2018 at 11:27. Reason: fixed typo
KrisTvpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 11:51   #2502
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post
Have tried to repurpose my unused Asus Zenfone 4 as a dashcam, using CamOnRoad app with moderate success.
Can this app loop video recordings or you have to keep deleting old recordings to make space for the new one?

Thanks!
Old 26th October 2018, 12:05   #2503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Can this app loop video recordings or you have to keep deleting old recordings to make space for the new one?

Thanks!
Yes, it loop-records the videos similar to a proper dash-cam, I've kept it at 10min intervals. But you need to ensure sufficient space is available on your device storage/SD-card.

I use an 8GB SD card as storage, sufficient enough for 6 - 8 hour journeys to loop-record. After this I copy to my laptop/HDD and free up space from SD.

Last edited by KrisTvpm : 26th October 2018 at 12:06. Reason: minor addition
KrisTvpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 12:59   #2504
BHPian

Since the discussion of using a mobile to be used as a dash cam has come up.
To make things a bit easier, here's a video tutorial that can help start the phone automatically when the car is turned ON and maybe even program the application to start the app and record the video.

PS:- The tutorial is not specific for using the phone as dash cam, but the same can be used to make it work as one.

Last edited by francis_vaz : 26th October 2018 at 13:07.
francis_vaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 14:29   #2505
Distinguished - BHPian

I have gotten interested as my wife's Lenovo K4 Note has developed a strange problem. Its wifi/ bluetooth/ hotspot etc. are not switching on. While the phone and its data connection is otherwise working fine, she might get a new phone and I am already getting some ideas

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks