Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2017, 18:04   #1576
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Viofo recently launched a new Dashcam called the "WR1". Looks promising.

http://www.viofo.com/car-dash-cam/51...sh-camera.html

Pro's
1. Better sensor - Sony Exmor IMX323 Vs. IMX291 in the A119S. It promises better low-light performance.
2. Form factor - Tiny, due to the lack of a viewer
3. Smartphone app to control settings and view clips.

Cons:
1. I don't see GPS logger mentioned anywhere in the specs or in accessories. It doesn't make sense not having a GPS logger

Anyway, if priced right, this looks good for a rear-facing dashcam, No?

Product video

Sample video

nerd1200 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 19:01   #1577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
From my experience with international shipments, the customs duty levied is never consistent. It is rather running on an algorithm that sits inside the head of the customs officer. I am not sure how the system works, but at my end, I can never guesstimate what I will have to pay as customs.

I think the smaller parcels just get passed on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Not yet; Seeing the message "Retention reason : Retained by customs for unspecified reason" for the last 5 days, when tracked for the status of the item. Do not know when they will release it!

I have had similar experience as audioholic but in my case a smaller parcel also was held back. But all in all that's true that there is no specific pattern to what is being held back.

I have been ordering from international websites like ebay since almost 1999-2000, and only in January 2017 I had the same "RETENTION REASON" as batman specified. The item was myprotien powder for my trainer. Apparently any item above Rs. 2000/- attracts their attention but not always.

Then some custom clearing agents called extending help (it was really suspicious though) and the whole process took almost 3 months to clear which was a big headache. Whereas from Gearbest I had ordered a bluetooth headset for helmet and it came within 1 week. So its all pure luck in my opinion.

Coming to the Viofo A119, I am seeing a lot of different versions and prices for the A119. Its a bit hard to understand. On amazon India website its almost Rs. 17k/- whereas on other foreign sites its nearly 7/8k and that is why its tempting to consider buying from there.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 19:59   #1578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Pro's
1. Better sensor - Sony Exmor IMX323 Vs. IMX291 in the A119S. It promises
Higher number doesn't mean better. IMX323 is a lower cost version of the 322.

IMX291 is newer than both the 322 and 323 and is higher specced, a lot more sensitive than the 322/323.

Soon you'll see dual channel models using the IMX291 and IMX322/323 in a single package. Can't have IMX291 for both the channels as of now, chipset limitation.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 21:42   #1579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
[*]Numerous items from Gearbest valued between 200 - 6k Rupees - Shipped via Gati - No customs for any product. Even a 6k INR worth Electronic card
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Whereas from Gearbest I had ordered a bluetooth headset for helmet and it came within 1 week.
Guys, can you share your experience about purchases through 'Gearbest' about 'declared value' of the product indicated on the package (for customs purpose)?

When I specifically asked this query to the customer care personnel in Gearbest a few weeks back, he said "We will indicate the true value of the item". Is that so?
Old 29th June 2017, 22:20   #1580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
My car used to stand in direct sunlight in noon during a few trips with my dashcam on. Did not experience any issues. The device does get heated up but i guess its well within the tolerance level.
So no need to go into the trouble of removing it always.
Okay that's great to hear. Thank you! And I assume you don't have any sun-film or alternatives installed in your car, apart from the sun shade that comes in the rear doors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
I suggest you avoid removing the cam on a regular basis if you can leave it on.
My only worry was leaving it in the car in the sunlight, but as Abhi has mentioned, guess it won't harm the dashcam, so I won't need to remove it. Thanks for the info!
Old 30th June 2017, 07:49   #1581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
Okay that's great to hear. Thank you! And I assume you don't have any sun-film or alternatives installed in your car, apart from the sun shade that comes in the rear doors?
Nope, i have not installed anything post purchase.
Old 30th June 2017, 08:22   #1582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Higher number doesn't mean better. IMX323 is a lower cost version of the 322.

IMX291 is newer than both the 322 and 323 and is higher specced, a lot more sensitive than the 322/323.

Soon you'll see dual channel models using the IMX291 and IMX322/323 in a single package. Can't have IMX291 for both the channels as of now, chipset limitation.
Thanks for the clarification, Harsh. It seems in that case they may be looking at keeping this product under A119's price point.
Old 30th June 2017, 13:38   #1583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Thanks for the clarification, Harsh. It seems in that case they may be looking at keeping this product under A119's price point.
This is a budget model from VIOFO, internals are similar to their G1W-S. I think it would settle around the $50-60 mark once 3rd party vendors start listing them.

Last edited by harsh79 : 30th June 2017 at 13:39.
Old 2nd July 2017, 11:02   #1584
BHPian

Finally got the Viofo A119S got delivered this Friday. I am yet to do the installation. Tried with couple of trips by keeping the camera in the Dash. Below are the video links.

Initial impressions:
- Quality is good for the size
- GPS works well (using a free software Dashcam viewer)
- Colors at day time is good without filters. With filters, it looks little dull.
- Without Filter, Night time it is very glaring (due to high beam and other bright lights). I am yet to try with Filter for the night time.

r_devakumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 17:34   #1585
BHPian

Seems my Viofo A119S is on the verge of delivery. Below is the status. However the latest one worries me. Is it the default status due to the office address on Saturday(1st July) ?
I did not receive any call for delivery attempt and the time gap(hardly 15 minutes) between the two status makes me think so. Can there be any other twist in the story

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-untitled.jpg
Old 2nd July 2017, 20:24   #1586
BHPian

I need one clarification on the motion detection feature on Viofo A119s. Since this model uses capacitor and doesn't have battery, to use this motion detection feature, i hope the device should be in the always connected mode (power supply to continue even after we shut down the car). Will that drain the battery?

Also, considering movements of objects by winds and other activities in home / office parking, i hope this will result in lot of unwanted recording. Is anyone using this feature, please give your feedback.
Old 2nd July 2017, 20:58   #1587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
I need one clarification on the motion detection feature on Viofo A119s. Since this model uses capacitor and doesn't have battery, to use this motion detection feature, i hope the device should be in the always connected mode (power supply to continue even after we shut down the car). Will that drain the battery?

Also, considering movements of objects by winds and other activities in home / office parking, i hope this will result in lot of unwanted recording. Is anyone using this feature, please give your feedback.
If the 12V cigarette lighter port doesn't receive power when the car is off, the camera will turn off.

In order to use the motion detect feature while parked, a hardwire kit that's connected to an 'always-on' fuse is required. Ideally one with BDP (battery discharge prevention) so that you don't end up flattening your car's battery if parked and recording for longer durations.

Yes, there will be a lot of false triggers, it's not just movement, even lighting changes will trigger events.

An alternate is powering the camera using a power bank for motion detection while parked.
harsh79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 21:04   #1588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post

An alternate is powering the camera using a power bank for motion detection while parked.
I remember reading a thread where the interiors of the car were burnt because the power bank burst due to the heat in the car (car was parked in the sun). Would suggest to avoid going down this route.
Old 2nd July 2017, 21:11   #1589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I remember reading a thread where the interiors of the car were burnt because the power bank burst due to the heat in the car (car was parked in the sun). Would suggest to avoid going down this route.
The power bank IMO wasn't entirely to blame. The car was parked under direct sunlight for over 5 hours on a peak summer day. Temperatures inside the car under such a scenario could easily exceed 80-90°C.

With the monsoons here, I don't think it should be an issue anymore till April or May next year.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 22:11   #1590
Distinguished - BHPian

Should there be an action from my end?

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-untitled.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks