Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:05   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
IMHO you need not change the amp *before* tuning it in the new circumstances. Remember, you still have a lot of leeway in hand
* gain at the amp
* HU signal level, if the HU has sub signal control

If you are reaching 80-90% levels at the amp *and* the HU to get the same levels as before, it should be time to consider a change of amp. I have a feeling you won't need that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
2 channels of your existing amp will be about equal to most similar 2 ch. amps. Like DA suggested first try your existing amp. If you feel you still need more power look for a monoblock.
Thanks DA and navin.

However, I dont want to keep going back to the installer and/or opening up the car. I would rather prefer to pre-decide on the equipment and do it in one shot.

Also, how can you say that '2 channels of the existing amp will be about equal to most similar 2 ch. amps?'

Let me rephrase my query. My sub is rated at 400 watts RMS. Compared to this, my amp's 2 channels, when bridged, produce about 175-180 watts RMS.

1. Should I not get an amp which gives out around 350-400 watts RMS?
2. If I'm unable to buy a new amp, what are the disadvantages (if any) of powering with the existing amp? i.e. will the bass sound feeble? Will it not reach from the trunk to the front seat? Any other disadvantages?
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:48   #212
BHPian

If you are looking to preserve the boot you can make do with just 4 speakers. On your budget you can get components in the front but that would spil the stock look.

For a sound that has more HF energy consider brands like JBL's GTO series, Polk's db series and Hert'z Hi-Energy series. For a more laid back sound Infinity or Alpine.

You should get 4 speakers for 10-15k. 10k if you are looking at Coaxials and 15K if you are willing to put components in the front.

Finally a 4 channel amplifer (about 6K) wont take up much space and can help improve the sound especially if you like to crank it up.

Thanks a ton for the quick and clear reply.

I will definitely go for JBL components for the front speakers. Considering all the suggestions i have received , i am planning to get a 4 channel amp too.

Anybody has got an opinion on Pioneer AVH-P2300 DVD ?

I need some more clarity in terms of rear speakers:

-Components or co axial is better ?

-Is it better or bad if i get it in the rear doors ?

-Does i10 door accommodate the recommended speakers in the given space?

-Do we need tweeters ? I often found them annoying..(may be 'coz they are not of good quality) . It would be great If someone can explain the real life use of these..

Cheers..
Old 3rd February 2012, 08:18   #213
BHPian

Quote:
K2Max6's suggestions here are good.
Thanks for the info. That's a pretty reasonably priced HU, will definitely have a look at it.

Further, I'm more concerned about the chances of voiding warranty if I get aftermarket ICU fitment done. What should I keep in mind to avoid this scenario?
Old 3rd February 2012, 23:32   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamtiwana View Post
Thanks for the info. That's a pretty reasonably priced HU, will definitely have a look at it.

Further, I'm more concerned about the chances of voiding warranty if I get aftermarket ICU fitment done. What should I keep in mind to avoid this scenario?
Just make sure that the installer uses a coupler to connect the HU to the existing wiring.There is a socket provided by the Car Manufacturer to connect the HU to the car.We need to use a coupler to connect the HU to that socket.Just like the socket and plug at our homes
Also if wiring for speakers is present in the doors couplers will be needed for them as well.Keep an eye on the installation process and ask them not to cut any stock wiring.Good installers make sure that they don't cut any wires.
Old 5th February 2012, 19:18   #215
BHPian

Quote:
K2Max6's suggestions here are good.

Option 1
Pioneer 1490UB HU - Rs.4400 /Kenwood USB HU ~ 5.5k
Front Component Speakers - JBL GT6-266C-5k OR GTO-609C 6k
Couplers For connecting the speakers & HU to the existing wiring Rs.300

Option 2
Pioneer 1490UB HU - Rs.4400 / Kenwood USB HU ~ 5.5k
6" Coaxial Speakers - GT6-S366 X 2 = 6k 4 Doors
Couplers Rs.400
Quick query : these rates are from which place? Because an aftermarket place I checked out in Bangalore had the following rates :
Pioneer 1490 : 6.5k
JBL GT6-S266 : 3,250 pair
JBL GT6-S366 : 3,750 pair

Can you recommend any good (and reasonable) places in Bangalore for ICE purchase and fitment?
Old 6th February 2012, 17:28   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamtiwana
Quick query : these rates are from which place? Because an aftermarket place I checked out in Bangalore had the following rates :
Pioneer 1490 : 6.5k
JBL GT6-S266 : 3,250 pair
JBL GT6-S366 : 3,750 pair

Can you recommend any good (and reasonable) places in Bangalore for ICE purchase and fitment?
They are the Prevailing market prices in delhi/ncr.
You can expect them to be at max 10% higher at your place.Pioneer DEH-1490UB has an MRP under 6.5k. Check out team-bhp directory for some decent places to get your car iced.

Last edited by k2max6 : 6th February 2012 at 17:30.
Old 11th February 2012, 05:26   #217
BHPian

1. Your Car: Maruti Swift Zdi - Jan 2012.

2. Your current setup (If any): Stock Set up that came with the car.

3. Your Budget: In stages:

Stage 1: Speakers. I have a spare Pio Woofer and a Sony Amp, which I will use in the meantime ( I don't have their specs but they are just the basic model which I got about 5 years ago).

Stage 2: Woofer and a nice Amp

Stage 3: Head Unit

All the above stages will be spread over a year, running short of the green notes.

4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? I drive all the time.

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): I love listening to Electronic, Hip Hop, House, Rock and Hindi OST at times, and sometimes even ghazals (Jagjit Singh, Ghulam Ali). Majorly Electronic, Hip Hop & House. Some of the notable artists are Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, John Digweed, Sasha, Prodigy, Pendulum, David Guetta, Daft Punk, Pink Floyd, Fray, Chris Brown, Pitbull, Drake, Akon, Jay Z, Kanye West, Enigma, Nickleback, Linkin park, Snow Patrol, ATB, FatBoySlim, etc.

Additional Information:

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? No.

I have been searching all threads far and wide and have really confused myself. And that is but natural. I drive all the time. Daily to work and back. I like bass and the low pounding thump with clarity in vocals however I do not like bright and shrilly music, if that is what it is called. A little laid back with bass and clarity is my style.

Of lately in my hunt to get something to my taste I have been searching all around. I went to Motor Concepts in kirti Nagar, Aman is a member of T-Bhp and the owner of that place. He suggested Bull Audio components and coaxial to me based on my choice of music.

I sent the above query to LBm however seems like he is busy, so I am posting here, hoping someone will help me. I am planning to go meet Aman today around 2PM and start work on my ICE journey. Hopefully the gurus will be able to drop me a hint by then

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFuel
1. Your Car: Maruti Swift Zdi - Jan 2012.

2. Your current setup (If any): Stock Set up that came with the car.

3. Your Budget: In stages:

Stage 1: Speakers. I have a spare Pio Woofer and a Sony Amp, which I will use in the meantime ( I don't have their specs but they are just the basic model which I got about 5 years ago).

Stage 2: Woofer and a nice Amp

Stage 3: Head Unit

All the above stages will be spread over a year, running short of the green notes.

4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? I drive all the time.

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): I love listening to Electronic, Hip Hop, House, Rock and Hindi OST at times, and sometimes even ghazals (Jagjit Singh, Ghulam Ali). Majorly Electronic, Hip Hop & House. Some of the notable artists are Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, John Digweed, Sasha, Prodigy, Pendulum, David Guetta, Daft Punk, Pink Floyd, Fray, Chris Brown, Pitbull, Drake, Akon, Jay Z, Kanye West, Enigma, Nickleback, Linkin park, Snow Patrol, ATB, FatBoySlim, etc.

Additional Information:

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? No.

I have been searching all threads far and wide and have really confused myself. And that is but natural. I drive all the time. Daily to work and back. I like bass and the low pounding thump with clarity in vocals however I do not like bright and shrilly music, if that is what it is called. A little laid back with bass and clarity is my style.

Of lately in my hunt to get something to my taste I have been searching all around. I went to Motor Concepts in kirti Nagar, Aman is a member of T-Bhp and the owner of that place. He suggested Bull Audio components and coaxial to me based on my choice of music.

I sent the above query to LBm however seems like he is busy, so I am posting here, hoping someone will help me. I am planning to go meet Aman today around 2PM and start work on my ICE journey. Hopefully the gurus will be able to drop me a hint by then
Forgot to mention the amount:

Stage 1: Speakers, wiring & damping - 20K

Stage 2: Amp & woofer (wiring inclusive) - 15K

Stage 3: After market head unit, double din - 20K

Last edited by mobike008 : 11th February 2012 at 10:47. Reason: Back to back posts. Please wait for 30 Mins before next post or use EDIT button to make changes to existing post.
Old 11th February 2012, 07:37   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Question reg existing HU:

The volume control knob is working erratically. Can this be repaired ?
HU is an Alpine.

When I turn the knob to increase / decrease, there is often no change in the volume. Esp if turned fast. But once set, the level holds.
Old 11th February 2012, 11:04   #219
BHPian

I searched in this forum but I can't find anyone using portable speakers in their car. Are portable speakers that bad compared to integrated speakers?

At home, I'm tired of mess like this -

Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section-img_0135.jpg

I'm basically looking for a simple portable speaker (I'm not an audiophile) which I can use both for my car (it doesn't have any speaker or music system) (using cigarette lighter) and for laptop (at home and outside).

I want a simple and neat system like this -

Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section-sony_sound_mug_2620x426.jpg

A full blown speaker system is not needed since I only want simple, slow and soothing music for 4 persons in the car and for 1-2 persons for laptop usage.

I'm thinking of getting X-mini™ MAX II Capsule Speaker™

Name:  20110722180838_3.png
Views: 1281
Size:  37.2 KB

What do you guys suggest?

Last edited by DevilsCry : 11th February 2012 at 11:06.
Old 11th February 2012, 19:19   #220
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys,
I have on order a 2012 Punto Emotion, I am expecting delivery in the next 2 weeks.

Impatient guy that I am, have already started my hunt to make the stock ICE better.
Ideally would love to change the stock HU but would lose the steering mounted controls, so as of now decided to do this in stages.

Stage 1: Upgrade stock speakers with components upfront and coaxials in the rear.
Stage 2: A decent 4 channel amp along with LoC.
Stage 3: Upgrade stock HU with JVC 926BT and get the doors damped.

So with this in mind I got a chance to audition these 3 components speakers:
Powerbase: Did not like them at all, too bright and not at all to my taste. They were the cheapest at around 4K. Apologies I did not ask the series of this.

Kicker: Next up was Kicker ES65.2. I loved them from the get go. Nice and smooth and not bright at all. The bass was also nice. I was sold on them that very instant. These cost around 4.9K. Also the tweeters also of the size that can be fitted in the stock location.

Focal: The last speakers I demo'd were Focal's 165-A1. The vendor was going ga-ga over these speaker right from the moment I set foot into his shop. Based on the same setting as the previous 2 speakers I found these to be definitely better than Powerbase but not as good as Kicker, the bass I felt was same as Kicker but at I found them to be too bright for my taste. And at 6.5K a pop they are expensive as well. The best bit was the cross over box, it was so well made its worth buying these speakers just for this.

Did not get a chance to hear the co-axials but I would want to go for the same brand of coax as the components. Do let me know if this is a sane choice/decision.

The local guys did not have Hertz, I've heard a lot about these, would surely love to hear these before finalising my choice.

I might go in for an amp along with the speakers, so would appreciate if you could guide me with a decent AMP around 8-9K.

Looking forward for your response.
Old 12th February 2012, 23:36   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFuel View Post
... Stage 1: Speakers, wiring & damping - 20K
Stage 2: Amp & woofer (wiring inclusive) - 15K
Stage 3: After market head unit, double din - 20K
Your plan is good. With the budget that you have assumed, you can actually get good components in front, coaxes in the rear, some damping (front doors at least) AND an amp, if you bargain well, in Stage 1. Make sure you audition the speakers before you buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
... The volume control knob is working erratically. Can this be repaired ? ...
The encoder in the front plate is close to kaput. Not sure if this can be repaired, but of course a good hardware guy will be able to open and check. Unfortunately not too many of them around. Next best bet is to look around in the JC Road / National Market area if someone has a kaput set (same model) whose front plate you could buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
... At home, I'm tired of mess like this - ...
I'm basically looking for a simple portable speaker ...
A full blown speaker system is not needed since I only want simple, ...
Paradoxical, one must say! You are tired of cables running everywhere, and yet you want exposed cables and shakily mounted speakers in the car for simplicity? Sure, there are a few who have tried to put speakers meant for computers at home in a car. But, perhaps you should first hear a 'simple' system in a car, with speakers meant for cars mounted in places where the speakers are meant to be mounted in a car? Those systems don't cost much, you know. No harm in knowing good from bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
... Stage 1: Upgrade stock speakers with components upfront and coaxials in the rear.
Stage 2: A decent 4 channel amp along with LoC.
Stage 3: Upgrade stock HU with JVC 926BT and get the doors damped.
Good plan, except perhaps one would recommend doing the damping also in Stage 1 - makes a lot of difference in listening.

Also, do try out Infinity Reference and Morel Maximo - might be right up your alley since you like mellow rather than bright. You shouldn't have problems finding them.
DerAlte is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 11:39   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Good plan, except perhaps one would recommend doing the damping also in Stage 1 - makes a lot of difference in listening.

Also, do try out Infinity Reference and Morel Maximo - might be right up your alley since you like mellow rather than bright. You shouldn't have problems finding them.
Point taken, will get damping done as well.
Do you have an approximate price range of Infinity Reference and Morel Maximo components?

Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 12:09   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Point taken, will get damping done as well.
Do you have an approximate price range of Infinity Reference and Morel Maximo components?

Thanks
Morel Maximo (6.5k) would be slightly cheaper than Infinity Ref (7-8k) I guess.
nishantgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 14:42   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... price range of Infinity Reference and Morel Maximo components? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Morel Maximo (6.5k) would be slightly cheaper than Infinity Ref (7-8k) I guess.
Both are around the 6K mark.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 14:07   #225

Guys need couple of suggestions:

Components:
1) Bull CS 650.750 or Infinity Ref 6030i?
Heard bull (5200/-) in a friends car, good bass, not so bright which is my taste. Couldn't audition Infinity (4500/-) though as the shop was not having audition facility but I have Infinity ref 9633is which are good.

Amp:
1) Kenwood KAC 845 (5000/-) or KAC 846 (6000/-) or JBL GT646 (5200)?

My taste is CLEAN with GOOD bass, do not like it bright.
Music I listen to ranges from hard rock to mellow hindi numbers.
I want good front stage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks