Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2022, 21:17   #14266
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carz77 View Post
Thanks for responding. I agree with you on metal tweeters sounding sharp in general. However, I read that well designed metal tweeters are far superior than silk tweeters, not sure how JL audio is placed in this area. There aren't enough JL speakers review at tbhp forum as well.
I cannot decide without hearing them personally.
You're welcome, mate.

I guess it is also a matter of taste and what one is accustomed to (hence point 3 and 4 above). What is good for one might be horrible for another. In the past have had more expensive and generally more appreciated speakers removed from my car and been way happier with cheaper ones as they suited my taste better.

Have also almost ordered speakers, then thought of auditioning and travelled 1500kms to audition and thanked my stars for not ordering without an audition.

Auditioning is highly recommended. Some pointers to it (with some humour) on this decade old thread I started here.

Last edited by Poitive : 22nd January 2022 at 21:21. Reason: Refinement
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 21:59   #14267
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
I have shortlisted as below based on reviews on the internet.
1. Morel Maximo Ultra 602 components on the front and Morel Maximo 6C coaxials on the rear
2. JL C1 650 comp on the front and JL C1 650x co-axial on the rear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Mate,
Some general points:
1. Typically, aluminum tweeters would sound sharper than silk dome tweeters.
I'd choose the Morels only because I have not heard the JLs you refer to.

Not all metal domes are forward sounding. I remember decades ago getting a pair of JBL Pro III (the predecessor to the Control 1) and these had aluminum domes in them and were not harsh. The larger JBL 250Ti (which was a 5 way with a 13" woofer) also wasn't harsh sounding (and I am sensitive to high frequencies).

Audax's gold dome also was very good as is SB Acoustics' new ceramic dome. On the flip side, SB's Aluminum dome rings like a bell.

I found some soft domes like the older Polk polyamide domes to be lispy.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 11:24   #14268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I'd choose the Morels only because I have not heard the JLs you refer to.

Not all metal domes are forward sounding. I remember decades ago getting a pair of JBL Pro III (the predecessor to the Control 1) and these had aluminum domes in them and were not harsh. The larger JBL 250Ti (which was a 5 way with a 13" woofer) also wasn't harsh sounding (and I am sensitive to high frequencies).
Audax's gold dome also was very good as is SB Acoustics' new ceramic dome. On the flip side, SB's Aluminum dome rings like a bell.
I found some soft domes like the older Polk polyamide domes to be lispy.
Thanks navin for responding. There are lot of positive reviews for JL Audio's C1 650, but my only doubt is on the Aluminum tweeters which can be kind of ringing bells.
TBH, I hadn't tested my Compass audio to the core and hence tried different music with almost full volume (25 out of 38) and it faired well without much distortion. Even the claps & tweets were heard in a good way (4 speakers only, no tweeters in my stock setup). What i felt lacking was the clarity of instrument at low volume and some distortion when volume is set very high.

Seeking your advise:
1) Is there any place in Bangalore where I can audition Morels ?
2) Morel Maximo Ultra 602 comp on front and Morel Maximo 6C co-ax on rear. Is this a good combination ?
3) Any other advise, like just upgrade fronts (Morel tempo) and keep the rear as is ?
4) Is the Amp necessary or it can be done during stage-2 ?

Thanks,
Old 24th January 2022, 11:47   #14269
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Seeking your advise:
2) Morel Maximo Ultra 602 comp on front and Morel Maximo 6C co-ax on rear. Is this a good combination ?
3) Any other advise, like just upgrade fronts (Morel tempo) and keep the rear as is ?
4) Is the Amp necessary or it can be done during stage-2 ?

Thanks,
1. I wouldn't know about Bangalore
2-4. You can upgrade just the front, and add the rear and amplifier later but component speakers especially do work better when they are powered properly with an amplifier. Head units usually do not have adequate power (and current delivery) to utilise component speakers fully.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 12:01   #14270
BHPian

Quote:
Seeking your advise:

Thanks,
You can try EVO http://www.evo-blr.com/ at https://g.page/EVOCustomCar?share . He has been stocking Morel's lately. You can call and find out if you can audition it.
Old 31st January 2022, 20:59   #14271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. I wouldn't know about Bangalore
2-4. You can upgrade just the front, and add the rear and amplifier later but component speakers especially do work better when they are powered properly with an amplifier. Head units usually do not have adequate power (and current delivery) to utilise component speakers fully.
Hi Navin, friends,
I am in need for 2 pairs of good component speakers for my Innova Crysta. I intend to replace the stock speakers only for now.
I am unable to source Morel component speakers or for that matter any decent brand of component speakers. Amazon lists some speakers at ridiculously high prices. I am not in favour of purchasing from black market like the J C Road of Bangalore. Could you please suggest dealers for Morel and JBL car audio. Would be grateful.

Also I am in search of the famous Pioneer DEH-80PRS from anywhere (in the world). Most of the e-commerce websites show that item as discontinued or not available. Is there a way to get a new one? Or is there a successor to this model from Pioneer or other brand? How about Kenwood KDC-X304 ()

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by cs_rajesh : 31st January 2022 at 21:03.
Old 4th March 2022, 12:11   #14272
Senior - BHPian

Hey folks after a tryst with 6.5 components installed in the doors of my WagonR, I am finally back to square 1; the doors became too heavy (for a 2004 WagonR) and people kept complaining about their legs hitting the speakers. Now the WagonR is getting restored and part of that restoration is new audio. I want to stick to a simple setup:
4 inch speakers in the dashboard
6x9 ovals mounted in the dicky door
a good A/B amp
decent subwoofer

Can anyone recommend any 4inch speakers that are good and still available in the market? My limited research online suggests that apart from a couple of basic options, all the good stuff isn't available anymore.

Also which 6x9 ovals come recommended these days? I used to have a pair of JBL GTOs that did excellently but they seem to have streamlined their offerings in the market these days so cant find the same speakers anymore. Anything on par or better than those in the market? How are Hertz HCX 690s? Found them on motorogue for 9k are they worth it or does anyone know of anything else that might be better?

What amp would one recommend? I used to have a 4 channel Ground Zero amp that I was very satisfied with until it blew out years ago when I was driving through flooded waters. I found one available online for 15k is there anything else that comes highly recommended by others?

Finally onto the topic of a subwoofer, I used to use a 12 inch Pioneer champion series sub in a ported enclosure that was simply sublime. However this time I would like to retain some dicky space. Keeping that in mind, are there any DVC 8inch subs that can still blow my socks off? Should I go the underseat active sub route? Will I need two active underseat subs if I decide to go that route?

Looking forward to hear from the experts on this.
Cheers and thanks in advance
Old 9th March 2022, 13:03   #14273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

Finally onto the topic of a subwoofer, I used to use a 12 inch Pioneer champion series sub in a ported enclosure that was simply sublime. However this time I would like to retain some dicky space. Keeping that in mind, are there any DVC 8inch subs that can still blow my socks off? Should I go the underseat active sub route? Will I need two active underseat subs if I decide to go that route?

Looking forward to hear from the experts on this.
Cheers and thanks in advance
Regarding sub woofer if you are used to 12inch then nothing else will satisfy you. You are definitely better off with proper 8 or 10inch closed box setup for reduced size. Underseat will not come even close to meeting your needs. It never kicks in low enough or deep enough. It just lays the foundation but will not be satisfying for bass heads.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 15:38   #14274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Underseat will not come even close to meeting your needs. It never kicks in low enough or deep enough. It just lays the foundation but will not be satisfying for bass heads.
Are there any 8 inch or perhaps shallow depth 10inch subs that you'd say can replace my old 12inch sub? In a closed or ported enclosure?
Old 9th March 2022, 23:56   #14275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are there any 8 inch or perhaps shallow depth 10inch subs that you'd say can replace my old 12inch sub? In a closed or ported enclosure?
Closed enclosures are lesser in volume and will serve your requirement of size. I cant recommend any specific subs though. If you are in Bangalore visit Sachins AUto Shop in Kmgla. They are my goto guys for last 15yrs.
Old 27th March 2022, 14:04   #14276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The enclosure depends on what kind of music you listen to. These days you get 6 and 8 inch subs but they will usually give you tighter bass even in ported boxes and you can go with 2 in a sealed box and still save space.
straight6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 14:18   #14277
BANNED

In cold hilly areas while starting the car in the morning there is a disturbance for about 10 - 15 minutes through the speakers after which it disappears. I checked and find that this is a common complaint.

Is there a quick fix for this issue? Thanks in advance.
Old 27th March 2022, 14:50   #14278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4 inch speakers in the dashboard
a good A/B amp
decent subwoofer
If you have the tweeters and the crossover from the 6.5 inch set, one nice option would be to swap out the 6.5 inch midbass for a 4 inch one.

I know it's a very jugaad solution but i know it works because I've been running a 3 way setup with hertz comps, and an aftermarket 4 inch mid bass, which sounds tolerable even without the 6 incher.

I'm using a local 4 inch mid range driver but have bought these to upgrade to

https://www.electrocarts.in/product/...-driver-4-ohm/

6*9 - if you're planning to buy online I'd say wait for their sales. I got an Infiniti ref 9623 for 1k lesser than what Amazon is asking for them right now. If you're going to be using a sub, you really don't need 6*9. 6.5 inch should work just fine

Sub - I'm using a sony underseat sub. My alpine 12 incher has been retired because i need the boot, and even when it was there, it used to give my kids headaches. I disagree with the post above which says that you can't downgrade. After owning /driving two cars with stock 8 inch subs (my civic si in the US, and my brother in law's harrier xza, the 12 inch began to sound like overkill for a small hatch)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...fer-india.html (Sony launches an ultra-slim subwoofer in India)

Finally, you may not even need an amp with this setup unless you want to play really loud. The sub is active and the speakers will happily run off your hu, and the sub does all the heavy lifting for bass

Quote:
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-6x9_...aker-58184064/
Came across this while browsing boodmo. Reasonably value stuff. Can't go wrong with alpine IMO,especially at that price. If you're in the mood to splurge then look elsewhere, but if you just need rear fill these should do fine. They're fulfilled by boodmo so hopefully you should get delivery soon.

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2022 at 08:14. Reason: Merging back to back posts
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 10:58   #14279
BHPian

Hi Folks,

Need a quick suggestion. A friend is looking to upgrade his Civis audio system. HU is going to be a pioneer 4450BT. This is going to be paired directly to the 4 speakers - no amp. Given there is no Amp and all my friend listens to are old tamil music on music streaming services I suggested the following speakers.

Components - Alpine S series or Morel Maximo 6 mkII.
My doubt is that with sensitivity Alpines being rated at 88dB vs Morel at 92dB - what would be the real life difference?

And also - how good is quality of the Morel speakers? my installer told me they aren't of great quality.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11th April 2022, 20:05   #14280

Has anyone installed Helix S62c.2 Component speakers?

Hi All,

Has anyone installed the Helix S62c.2 in your car? What's the sound quality like? What's the tonality?

Regards,
Nikhil

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks