Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2008, 07:17   #601
BHPian

I feel it's genuine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The Mercedes Benz bus definitely looks like a sticker job. Its most possibly a Tata or Leyland rear engined chassis, difinitely not Benz. Looks too much like B7R and Benz would not put up the 3 pointed star on the mirrors
I feel it is genuine. I did a Google search for "Travel with the star" and see what I found: Daimler Buses Launches New Mercedes-Benz Intercity Luxury Coach In India | eMercedesBenz - The Unofficial Mercedes-Benz Weblog

Quoting from the article: This coach features the versatile O 500 R / RF chassis from Mercedes-Benz while its body is build by Jalandhar based Sutlej Motors. At the official launch event in Pune, Mr. Harald Landmann, Head of Daimler Buses, presented along with Dr. Wilfried Aulbur, CEO and Managing Director of Mercedes-Benz India, the keys to the first customers Sharma Transports from Bangalore, Neeta Tours and Travels from Mumbai and Konduskar Travels from Kolhapur.

So they do seem genuine.

The stars on the mirrors may be Sutlej going a bit overboard with the styling tho'!

Actually I wondered why Volvo had to go with Azad, when Sutlej made really world class buses (on truck chassis tho') even before Volvo came around. I seriously didn't like the fit and finish of Azad built Volvos when they first came out. Guess it may be location specific hence they had little choice!

Wonder how these MBs are priced tho'!
Old 25th September 2008, 16:24   #602
Senior - BHPian

it certainly is genuine, standard merc buses look just like this
Old 25th September 2008, 16:39   #603
BHPian

Quote:
The Mercedes Benz bus definitely looks like a sticker job. Its most possibly a Tata or Leyland rear engined chassis, difinitely not Benz. Looks too much like B7R and Benz would not put up the 3 pointed star on the mirrors
Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
It looks more SUTLEJ than a genuine Mercedes Benz.
These are genuine buses sharma has recently bought two of them. and sorry for the late reply.

@glifford thanks for the link.

Last edited by praJEEP : 25th September 2008 at 16:41.
Old 27th September 2008, 01:42   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
This offer of One rupee per ride is a smashing hit. All Volvo buses were overcrowded for the first time,since they launched these services.This is indeed a positive way of getting people to try out the comfort of a Volvo and the normal city buses

I remember, it was a smashing hit alrite..Check the guy talking over the phone in the second pic his happiness has no limits..he would be like, " can you beat it, thanx to Mr. BSY i get to sit in an a.c bus for One rupee??"
Old 27th September 2008, 08:44   #605
Senior - BHPian

Take back my words

The bus now seems genuine.

SUTLEJ has had a long association with MERCEDES-BENZ. Long back they used to make the NEXIA integral coach with a MERCDES-BENZ engine. It was a kind of percusor to the B7R.

AZAD is an economy outfit. Guess it was more the sister company JAICO that was involved in coach builiding and the vehicles were badged AZAD.

Even i'm really curious to know how much they cost
Old 27th September 2008, 08:49   #606
Senior - BHPian

Design disappointment

MERCEDES should have charted a new course. The design looks very similar to the VOLVO, especially to the untrained eye. The driver side door has a really low glass window, wonder how long that would last on our roads.

I'm so glad that VOLVO has competition now. The prices would definitely head south-wards.

And maybe rich bus operators would start selling off VOLVOS to move onto BENZ, bringing bus fares down when smaller operators buy them VOLVOS.
Old 27th September 2008, 08:52   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmust View Post
Saw this coach for the first time. Its seems coachs name is SHEENA. Anyway its good looking & well build. Any idea who are the coach builder.
SHEENA used to make the coaches that SITA TOURS AND TRAVELS bought. They were very well built back then, and now they seem to have gone a notch higher. The coaches made by VEERA are also absolutely brilliant.
Old 27th September 2008, 09:17   #608
Senior - BHPian

Motor-home on TATA ACE platform

Just imagine building a motor-home on a TATA ACE.
  1. It could be done in under 5 lakhs
  2. The vehicle would have the ability to get into crowded streets and finding parking would not be a problem
  3. If the rear overhang is extended to 50% of wheelbase, then there would be enought room to fit in things
  4. A proper toilet could be accomodated
  5. The space above the cabin could be utilized
  6. An a bicycle attached to the back or somewhere to run errands
Unanswered questions
  1. Can a bed be placed above the axles i.e sideways, instead of above the wheelbase, i.e straight.
  2. Will there be place to have bath in the toilet
  3. Will it be practical.
The primary condition is it should be possible for 2 people to live in it, in reasonable comfort for 365 days at the same time touring the entire length and breadth of the country

Imagine the trailer parks in the USA, this could create a whole new housing segment. Especially for migrant labourers. Already you can see gypsys who move from place to plaee owning a fleet of MAHINDRA vans and stuff like that.
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-18872aune_tata_electrique_en_europe.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-motor_home.jpg  

Old 27th September 2008, 16:09   #609
Senior - BHPian

sharmas old volvos are now a part of volvos employe transportation system

when the volvo facility in hoskote was opened the employees to the company where picked and dropped in other buses, but now the things had changed ,in morning and evening we can see a fleet of volvo buses operated by sharma transports for the commutation of the employers across the city.
Old 27th September 2008, 16:24   #610
Senior - BHPian

spotted this new AL truck on road

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post

does it really looks like a merc.?
spotted a fleet of this kind of trucks in cochin
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-ashok_leyland_003.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-ashok_leyland_004.jpg  

Old 27th September 2008, 22:44   #611
Senior - BHPian

nice trucks but only front seems new to me .. the side view is same as the current cabins isnt it.
Old 27th September 2008, 22:54   #612
BHPian

Quote:
i think sheena belongs to shillibear
Sorry but what is Shillibear? Is that some body building company?
Old 27th September 2008, 22:59   #613
Senior - BHPian

shillibear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Sorry but what is Shillibear? Is that some body building company?
its an up coming body building company based in kerala am not sure that does sheena belongs to it
Old 28th September 2008, 06:33   #614
BHPian

Quote:
The bus is actually the newely launched Mercedes inter-city bus but the body is built by Sutlej.There is a thread about it on Team-bhp.
I had made a similar comment about the Sutlej name being so prominently displayed of the front of the bus. I would prefer if it had just the Mercedes logo at the front.
Old 28th September 2008, 08:03   #615
BHPian

Quote:
its an up coming body building company based in kerala am not sure that does sheena belongs to it
Cool... I am from Kerala as well. Where is Shillibear based? Also when I was in school/college there was a decent body builder called Yathra. Do you know whether they are still around?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks