Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2008, 11:33   #691
BHPian

Tata Marcopolo in BMTC, Bangalore

Wonder how no one covered this as yet. Was expecting it to be already posted by the time I got to work yesterday! Anyway here's the news.

Tata has "gifted" two ("to be made in Karnataka") Marcopolos to BMTC (I guess like Volvo did to KSRTC several years ago) to try them out. Expecting fat orders in the near future, I suppose. But it is a good move.

They supposedly have features which even the Volvos (currently in Bangalore) lack like:

1. Air curtains that activate when the door opens disallowing the loss of cool air and reducing AC load. Nice feature I say. Have seen them on Volvos and Scanias in Sweden. They hold in the hot air there

2. Disabled Ramp and Wheel Chair lock: It is high time such features become mandatory in Public transport! Has anyone seen how much space the disabled cabins have on the Bombay Locals? Even a normal person would feel claustrophobic! Bangalore footpaths are the least wheelchair/pram friendly roads I have ever seen :( with those granite slabs thrown haphazardly! It is like a punishment to walk.

The full article and a picture here: Here’s another option for luxury bus ride (cancel the print command)

Last edited by Glifford : 4th November 2008 at 11:37. Reason: Changed to a friendlier URL
Old 4th November 2008, 16:12   #692
santoshnair

Why is AL not launching anything its sitting silent with 2 products Luxura and i10.....the market is so competitive its starnge they r not doing anything visible tohit the market

Old 4th November 2008, 16:56   #693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshnair View Post
Why is AL not launching anything its sitting silent with 2 products Luxura and i10.....the market is so competitive its starnge they r not doing anything visible tohit the market
I heard from a senior Al source that Luxura faced lots of problems relating to tyre wear and suspension during its initial trials. The launch is already long delayed.

Any reviews on the new low-floor AL coach which is apparently doing the rounds in Bangalore Airport? Is it their own bus, or in collaboration with a Chinese company?
Old 4th November 2008, 17:33   #694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Also when I was in school/college there was a decent body builder called Yathra. Do you know whether they are still around?
There's a Yathra builder at Thodupuzha, if that's what you might've seen....they been around for quite some years now. Dunno if there're others too.
Old 4th November 2008, 22:41   #695
Senior - BHPian

Along with the Luxura, what happened to the AL 4026 tractor which was powered by an 8 litre engine ? Was it ever launched ?
On AL's website, all I can see is the 4921 (how much does the engine displace?) available with their 'newgen' cab.

Commercial Vehicle Thread-al_4026.jpg

How does the 4921 compare with Tata's 4923 (which I am yet to spot on the road). It has a much nicer cab though.

Last edited by sajo : 4th November 2008 at 22:42.
Old 4th November 2008, 23:54   #696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post

Tata has "gifted" two ("to be made in Karnataka") Marcopolos to BMTC (I guess like Volvo did to KSRTC several years ago) to try them out. Expecting fat orders in the near future, I suppose. But it is a good move.
Is the Dharwad plant not operational yet? Is says these buses were made in Lucknow plant. Price=??? (I only see estimated that its half the cost of Volvo) and 35 seater with more features than Volvo like you said. Here are more features

Equipped with a host of commuter friendly features, the new A/C bus has a ramp for the disabled, a button on each seat, where the commuter has to just press it to ensure the driver stops the vehicle and seat-belts.

Last edited by Mpower : 5th November 2008 at 00:23.
Old 5th November 2008, 08:34   #697
Senior - BHPian

everything is true mpower but the seat quality nowhere near the volvo,i dont know why tata neglected this part, this makes volvo more comfortable
Old 6th November 2008, 21:59   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
everything is true mpower but the seat quality nowhere near the volvo,i dont know why tata neglected this part, this makes volvo more comfortable
Have you been in this bus? How was it?
Old 6th November 2008, 22:28   #699
Senior - BHPian

i saw the pics on another sight of the buses being flagged off in the city they posted the interior pics and the interiors are not very impressive
infact the seats are a little different than the latest ordinary citibuses
Old 8th November 2008, 23:38   #700
Senior - BHPian

saw some FIAT/P buses in front of the GRAND HOTEL. they were all identical with the old fiat logo on the grille & P written at the front & the back. i think its the UNO grille fitted there.
don't know what actually it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-071108_050139.jpg  

Last edited by amit V8 : 8th November 2008 at 23:40.
Old 9th November 2008, 00:05   #701
Senior - BHPian

Very unfortunate. India is also facing the crisis . AL and TATA plants for CV will be closed half of the week due to reducing demands of CV
Old 9th November 2008, 18:11   #702
BHPian

In addition, i have heard that AL is currently laying off people.
One TM guy i spoke to was saying that apart from the ACE platform,nothing seems to be selling.
Most CV manufacturers state that their order book is still more or less healthy, but invoicing / delivery is not happening because of dearth of financing in the market.
Old 10th November 2008, 10:18   #703
BHPian

Definitely not a FIAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
saw some FIAT/P buses in front of the GRAND HOTEL. they were all identical with the old fiat logo on the grille & P written at the front & the back. i think its the UNO grille fitted there.
don't know what actually it is.
This definitely is a bus body builder using parts from the car bin (as they usually do with head/tail lamps) if they have used the Uno grill.

If not they must have just put some design concepts to fill the space. Am sure it would have nothing to do with FIAT.

The P could might as well be Prakash, a body builder (guess from Bangalore) who is good at copying Sutlej designs!
Old 10th November 2008, 11:18   #704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
The P could might as well be Prakash, a body builder (guess from Bangalore) who is good at copying Sutlej designs!
The "P" logo is surely not of Prakash. This company badges their buses with their name as such.

Probably Prakash used to copy Sutlej - but not anymore. They copy Volvo these days
Old 10th November 2008, 12:03   #705
Senior - BHPian

Nice Addon of that Fiat Grill there, i even saw some buses with Scorpio grills in front.
Khullam Khulla Piracy.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks