Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?
Fast.com by Netflix 38 33.33%
Cloudflare speed test 1 0.88%
DSLReports 1 0.88%
Speedtest by Ookla 64 56.14%
Testmy.net 1 0.88%
OpenSpeedTest 3 2.63%
Others 2 1.75%
I don't believe in speed tests 4 3.51%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2014, 14:13   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

I'm currently on Yashtel, a Mysore based company. Using this for the last 6 months and it was great up until the last month or two.

I am on the 10mbps 40GB plan for 1200 bucks. Speeds were good but off late, since past few weeks, having several issues such as speed dropping to as low as 1mbps, connection lost, and despite complaining many times, the issue still persists.

Any reviews on ACT broadband? I've heard their speeds are blazing fast and light on the pocket too. How is the quality of the internet connection and their response time to complaints? Read mixed reviews on the web but want first hand feedback from users here, esp. from the Bangalore region.
Old 28th November 2014, 14:49   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Any reviews on ACT broadband? I've heard their speeds are blazing fast and light on the pocket too. How is the quality of the internet connection and their response time to complaints? Read mixed reviews on the web but want first hand feedback from users here, esp. from the Bangalore region.
I am using ACT Broadband at home. The plan I have chosen is Rs 1399 + taxes for 40 Mbps and 75 GB data. Its super fast with no issues so far.
Old 28th November 2014, 17:01   #468
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm currently on Yashtel, a Mysore based company. Using this for the last 6 months and it was great up until the last month or two.

I am on the 10mbps 40GB plan for 1200 bucks. Speeds were good but off late, since past few weeks, having several issues such as speed dropping to as low as 1mbps, connection lost, and despite complaining many times, the issue still persists.

Any reviews on ACT broadband? ..
Thanks aditya!
I had just asked the question yesterday if there is someone using Yashtel.

I know many of my friends using ACT and all are happy, they say when it works it works like a charm, but if issues crop up sometimes they can take some time to fix it. On the whole after being with ACT for more than 6 months they now say it is reliable
In our locality, ACT is still not available and I now have Airtel which is pathetic sometimes. I'll check out Yashtel this weekend, lets see how it goes.
Old 28th November 2014, 17:33   #469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Have been using them till date and I am happy with the service provided regarding speed and also downtime in my area atleast.
Are you using MNTL Fiber connection? If so, can you post a speednet test screenshot. Thanks!
Old 29th November 2014, 10:51   #470
Senior - BHPian

So did a speedtest check last night and found that my dl is 20mbps and ul is 8mbps.

Guess its time to call asianet up :(
Old 29th November 2014, 23:11   #471
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Spoke to the Yashtel person while testing their service at their local office. He mentioned that they are upgrading their core switches and other infrastructure since they place to introduce 100mbps plans soon. This should be resolved soon is what he said.
I'm planning to get the yashtel 10mbps plan soon
Old 30th November 2014, 12:12   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
So did a speedtest check last night and found that my dl is 20mbps and ul is 8mbps.

Oh.Let us know how it goes.It is less than half of what is promised to you.

How is the stability of connection?. My issue with BSNL is its unpredictability.Nowadays I disconnect it and put the reliance dongle on before i do any online purchase or any bank transaction as you never know when the bsnl disconnects.

I have called Asianet once again and requested for new 12Mbps connection. It costs around 2000rs per month also told them will take their HD box if that is what it takes to contact me

Let's see if they respond this time. This is the first service provider I encountered who is not interested in getting new Business. Unfortunately there is no other option for me
Old 1st December 2014, 09:55   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

The speed spikes around a lot. There are times when it is just 0.5 Mbps down and half an hour later it might be around 30 Mbps. My connection is just a couple of weeks old, so can't be cable issues. Could very well be that contention ratio is a lot higher than they advertise.
Old 1st December 2014, 10:16   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by castiel View Post
Oh.Let us know how it goes.It is less than half of what is promised to you.

How is the stability of connection?.

I have called Asianet once again and requested for new 12Mbps connection. It costs around 2000rs per month also told them will take their HD box if that is what it takes to contact me

Let's see if they respond this time. This is the first service provider I encountered who is not interested in getting new Business. Unfortunately there is no other option for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC View Post
The speed spikes around a lot. There are times when it is just 0.5 Mbps down and half an hour later it might be around 30 Mbps. My connection is just a couple of weeks old, so can't be cable issues. Could very well be that contention ratio is a lot higher than they advertise.
Could not get around to calling them. Sometimes they change plans but forget to open up the bandwidth Need to call and remind them. Purposeful perhaps? Hoping customers don't really measure their speeds.

As for new connections and stability, i generally do not have much issues with them. They have a 24Hr helpline [even on sundays] which is way better than my experiences with Tata.
Old 1st December 2014, 11:03   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC View Post
This is bad. Thanks for the heads up .Am i moving to fire from frying pan?.

At-least they should guarantee a minimum speed of 5Mbps when you are paying for 50

My current BSNL 8Mbps 2950Rs connection gives 5-6mbps almost 90% of the time provided it is working. So far i am not aware of such spikes.

The problem is their customer service or lack of it. Still has not fixed my 15 day old line noise problems.Yesterday onwards gone completely anyway. Somewhere the fiber optic cable is cut

My issues are mainly due to poor BSNL infrastructure. If it rains the phone and net goes out. Somebody will dig a hole and cut a fibre here or there and we are out of network

Very prompt in generating and the Bill and chasing for payment though. It does not matter if it works or not
Old 1st December 2014, 13:33   #476
Senior - BHPian

Tata DoCoMo seems to have landline broadband (wired), as per their website. They are offering 50 Mbps connection (with 10 GB FUP) for monthly rental of 1100 Rs (not sure about the actual amount).

Has anyone used their service - any reviews please?
Old 1st December 2014, 14:43   #477
BHPian

Howdy folks!

Need your expert opinion on a broadband Internet service provider in Chennai.

As of now, I already have an Airtel wired broadband 2Mbps connection with a 150GB FUP ceiling. For which I pay an eye-watering 2700/- per month. Along with that, I also have a standby BSNL wired broadband 4Mbps connection with a 20GB FUP ceiling. For which I pay a comfy 1400/- per month.

Now, trouble is I download a LOT! And I mean, a lott! Full seasons of soaps in HD, F1 races, Full Blu Rays, you name it. And that is where the Airtel Broadband comes in. I also work from home a lot, which is where the BSNL Broadband comes in handy with a higher speed.

Now I wanted to change my Airtel plan to something with a faster speed, but was told by the Customer Care executive that speeds above 2Mbps are not possible in my area. Which totally sucks.

So, I was wondering whether to get rid of Airtel, and get a faster connection from ACT or any other ISP. Question is, how reliable are these new comers? Are they any good? If it helps, I reside in Thiruvanmiyur, Chennai. Just wanted to know if anyone has used ACT Broadband and how has their experience been in Chennai.

If you have any pointers, I'd really appreciate & welcome it. Thanks & Cheers!
Old 1st December 2014, 17:56   #478
BHPian

In our area there is new broadband company called VOVI Broadband.

There are offering 10 Mbps unlimited for Rs.999 per month. Right now I am using 2 Mbps unlimited reliance broadband connection.

How good are these new connection providers? Does anybody have firsthand experience with such companies?
Old 1st December 2014, 18:44   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Tata DoCoMo seems to have landline broadband (wired), as per their website. They are offering 50 Mbps connection (with 10 GB FUP) for monthly rental of 1100 Rs (not sure about the actual amount).

Has anyone used their service - any reviews please?
Was a customer of VSNL which became TATA Indicom which is now TATA Docomo.

Customer service was bad during the days of TATA Indicom. You had to call the call center for every single issue. And for each issue however small it was, they had a minimum time of 3 days!

Could not call local office. They only had outgoing facility. If you miss their call, then god save you

Had a 2 week downtime and in spite of going to the nodal officer they could not even call me.

Shifted to Asianet. Product might be a big bad but service is good.

TATA DoCoMo, i hope are better. When they launched their plans were mouth watering! But now i think plans are at par with competition.
Old 1st December 2014, 18:46   #480
Senior - BHPian

Anyone else here using BSNL 512kbps unlimited? I have it my native and it feels so pre-historic and out of the world. Having said that, 512 kbps is decent for skype calls and non HD Youtube video streaming on mobile. There are no other options so we had to opt for BSNL. Hope Govt makes 1-2 Mbps as minimum broadband speed soon.

PS: By the way, using the 512 kbps helps in developing patience, anger management, de-frustration etc etc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks