Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2011, 20:38   #1291
Senior - BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Airtel has shifted to SES7 satellite(108.2E) and all new channels will be beamed using the SES7. Some new SD channels have been added and few HD channels are in pipeline in the coming week.

Your antenna direction and alignment will need to change which they plan to do FOC in a phased manner.
Discovery HD, CBS Crime and Fox added to SES7 along with over some 20 other new channels.
Old 13th March 2011, 18:08   #1292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Discovery HD, CBS Crime and Fox added to SES7 along with over some 20 other new channels.
CBS Prime is already listed on Channel 139. Did not see either Discovery HD Fox yet.
Old 14th March 2011, 09:28   #1293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
CBS Prime is already listed on Channel 139. Did not see either Discovery HD Fox yet.
You need to realign to SES7 to be able to see more channels, I believe over 20 channels have been added after they moved to SES7, including some 10 new English and some regional channels. When you ask for the channel list using SMS you are getting all the details.
Old 14th March 2011, 10:21   #1294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
@gopikb - i am using an old Onkyo HT SR 601 hence no HDMI inputs. So i have the coaxial from the TataSky HD box going to the AV, for channels with HD logo i get the HT showing Dolby. Now in your setup with the what does the HT show on the display when you are watching an HD channel, try NatGeoHD or DiscoveryHD or the Star Cricket HD. Does the HT show you DolbyDigital, then you have 5.1 sound. If not the the STB box would only be sending StereoSound via the HDMI and you would then need the toslink.
Yajaman, you were absolutely right. The Tata Sky HD+ streams only 2.1 stereo when connected through HDMI. In order to get 5.1, we necessarily need to connect either the coaxial or toslink. Another issue I saw is that when I connect both HDMI and the toslink from set top box to HT, I still did not get the Dolby display and by default it was recognizing only the 2.1 through HDMI. I had to connect HDMI to TV directly from set top box and then connect only the Toslink audio out to HT. Then the dolby symbol was displayed and I started getting the 5.1. Thanks for your advice and we are enjoying the cricket and NGC / Discovery channels to the fullest now. Hopefully, we will get Movies Now is Tata sky pretty soon.
Old 14th March 2011, 13:37   #1295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Airtel has shifted to SES7 satellite(108.2E) and all new channels will be beamed using the SES7. Some new SD channels have been added and few HD channels are in pipeline in the coming week.

Your antenna direction and alignment will need to change which they plan to do FOC in a phased manner.
Ah! No wonder I could see CBS crime channel listed in the channel menu

Quote:
So how do we get these activated? Do we need to call the CC and ask for a technician visit?
Old 15th March 2011, 10:49   #1296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
So how do we get these activated? Do we need to call the CC and ask for a technician visit?
Get the dish realigned first by calling CC(you can DIY, if you have the Satellite finder meter) and then SMS to subscribe to these channels.
Old 15th March 2011, 13:57   #1297
BHPian

@gopikb - glad to help. I did get a chance to watch a little Cricket in HD with the HT and its amazing. The Crowd cheering from the various speakers its like being in the stadium.
Old 15th March 2011, 14:01   #1298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Get the dish realigned first by calling CC(you can DIY, if you have the Satellite finder meter) and then SMS to subscribe to these channels.
Thanks for this Dadu, I will get it done ASAP.
Will I be charged more to subscribe to these additional channels? I've taken the platinum (or something like that) pack from Airtel and I pay for one year upfront.

Regards
Old 15th March 2011, 14:19   #1299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Thanks for this Dadu, I will get it done ASAP.
Will I be charged more to subscribe to these additional channels? I've taken the platinum (or something like that) pack from Airtel and I pay for one year upfront.

Regards

Yes, you will be charged. I subscribe to the South Ultra Pack from Airtel (which is supposed to contain most channels if not all). I have paid a yearly subscription and when they are adding newer channels, I have to keep on subscribing to them at a separate cost. It is getting more and more expensive with new channels being added

Tata Sky's annual Mega pack seems to be a better bet. Any new channel launched will automatically be added. I hop Airtel launches such a package.
Old 15th March 2011, 14:25   #1300
BANNED

As I have posted in the past TataSky are still to sell HD to us yokels in the hinterland. Recently, at a local exhibition I mentioned this to a powerful local TV/AC/Fridge dealer. He promised to help. So on Friday Tata showed up with a brand new HD+ box. Installed it in about an hour. Why the dish was upgraded from 60cm to 62cm I do not understand. 60>62cm will add all of 5% to the signal.The user id was transferred and the box was working fine. After about six hours recording also started working, even though I was told that this may take up to 72 hours. I switched it to standby and went to sleep. The next morning the unit was totally dead-no LEDs, so complained. The TataSky chap came, confirmed that the SkyHD+ will have to be replaced, and put back the old box. Now I am waiting for a replacement box to show up from Chandigarh.

This lunchtime I got a call that my Megapack subscription was up. The STB shows a balance of Rs.1292 on 12/3 with an expiry of mid May. The lady said that this was for add ons only. Now with just one additional STB no way can the bill be Rs.650 per month. Have mailed them and am waiting for a reply.

Last edited by sgiitk : 15th March 2011 at 14:27.
Old 15th March 2011, 14:35   #1301
BHPian

I recently bought a LED tv. I have read about Tata Sky HD being most preferred by TBhpians. On the net, the cost of the same is displayed at Rs.4k+. Wanted to know if there are any offers or schemes where i can get the same for lesser cost.

Thanks.
Old 15th March 2011, 14:42   #1302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
You will need a PAL/NTSC converter. Something like this:

Amazon.com: Atlona CDM-660 Multi-System PAL/NTSC Video Converter: Electronics
I have a NTSC only tv from the US and I use it with regular cable using a trick. If I plug in the regular coaxial cable directly into the TV, I get the PAL output with flickering b/w images and no sound. But if I plug this cable into a computer TV tuner box (available from Rs. 550 onwards) and plug in that via VGA or HDMI (whatever is available) into my LCD tv, it works perfectly.

When I "upgraded" to an STB for regular cable, I plugged in the coaxial output into the STB and connect the STB to the TV Tuner box I mentioned earlier, which is plugged into the TV.

Perfect quality with no loss of clarity and sound. If you get a TV tuner with HDMI out, the quality will be even better!
Old 15th March 2011, 14:49   #1303
BANNED

@Neilguy: I am afraid you may be out of luck. Check out HDMI - PAL/NTSC flavours - HDTV - Home-Theatre
Old 15th March 2011, 16:05   #1304
BHPian

I am using Sun DTH and pretty much satified with the quality. No comments on their CC, but hadnt got any chance to tussel with them.

After going through this thread and reading about HD stuffs, I am also now inclined over it.

Is it possible for me to do an upgrade from my normal STB to a HD STB?

Is anybody using Sun DTH HD services here?
Old 15th March 2011, 17:03   #1305
BHPian

To all users of Tata Sky + HD. By now we know that very limited HD channels are beamed. How is the reception quality of non HD channels? Is there any improvement at all?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks