Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2020, 22:12   #3436
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
The RAM is hidden under the hard drive. I will have to open the enclosure and remove the hard drive and optical drive to take a picture. I will post it in a bit. Here is a picture taken without disassembly.
Yes this is standard desktop ddr4 ram. Please buy desktop ddr4 without heatsinks as there is barely any clearance.

Look for crucial ddr4 on amazon. That will fit for sure.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 19th July 2020 at 22:13.
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 22:16   #3437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Yes this is standard desktop ddr4 ram. Please buy desktop ddr4 without heatsinks as there is barely any clearance. Look for crucial ddr4 on amazon. That will fit for sure.
Thanks. Wasn't desktop RAM a lot bigger earlier? I still see larger sticks of RAM being sold which are like double this size and I assumed those were for full size desktops. I haven't had a desktop since 2012 so perhaps things have miniaturised
Old 22nd July 2020, 17:52   #3438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Can anyone throw some light on how these PCIe based SSDs work?
PCIe is the interface type, m.2 is the form factor. A PCIe or NVMe drive communicates over the PCIe bus, whereas the normal m.2 drives communicate over SATA, just like a regular 2.5 inch SSD.

The primary advantage of these form factor in laptops is that you get to have 2 drives instead of just one. Most m.2 SATA drives are no faster than regular 2.5 inch ones and they also cost about the same.

Nvme drives are upto 5x faster and more expensive. You're likely not going to see much difference in regular usage scenarios so regular m.2 might be the way to go if your computer supports it. Some support both nvme and sata m.2, some don't.

Last edited by Amien : 22nd July 2020 at 17:54. Reason: Quoting question
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 19:32   #3439
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Nvme drives are upto 5x faster and more expensive. You're likely not going to see much difference in regular usage scenarios...
This video was actually pretty surprising to me:

Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 23:07   #3440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
This video was actually pretty surprising to me:
Good video

By far the most important thing to keep in mind when choosing an SSD is whether it has a DRAM cache acting as a buffer between the flash memory and its controller. Next comes the type of flash cell arrangement (SLC/MLC/TLC/QLC etc.)

Even this however is irrelevant for the vast majority of consumers.

Last edited by ampere : 27th July 2020 at 20:54. Reason: Removed video link from quoted post
Old 25th July 2020, 22:19   #3441
BHPian

I am looking to pick an Desktop/AIO/Monitor for my kids online classes. Kids usage will be for couple of hours at the max per day. We already have an ipad but it is really not that comfortable for the classes. Any models which don't put much strain on the Kids eyes.

I was thinking of the iMac for the retina display. Or would a desktop be a better option. Again screen which does not put strain on the Kids Eyes is of utmost importance. I have an old Dell 21" screen which I use as extended display with my laptop.

Any latest Monitors that are on par or better than the Mac screen?
Old 25th July 2020, 23:07   #3442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
I am looking to pick an Desktop/AIO/Monitor for my kids online classes. Kids usage will be for couple of hours at the max per day. We already have an ipad but it is really not that comfortable for the classes. Any models which don't put much strain on the Kids eyes.

I was thinking of the iMac for the retina display. Or would a desktop be a better option. Again screen which does not put strain on the Kids Eyes is of utmost importance. I have an old Dell 21" screen which I use as extended display with my laptop.

Any latest Monitors that are on par or better than the Mac screen?
If the usage is going to be limited to online classes a couple of hours a day, a monitor would seem like the way to go.

I'm going to assume that your 21'' Dell is not good enough for this purpose? Finding something that fits your need (eye care, display quality) would likely be preferable to getting something that matches retina specs (which can be done, if that's what you want). Keeping that in mind:-

What will this monitor connect to? iPad, your laptop or some other device? (specify version/connectivity options)

If you want a complete desktop, what would be its primary use-case? (aside from what's specified)

If you really want the mac, go for it

Last edited by Amien : 25th July 2020 at 23:08.
Old 25th July 2020, 23:40   #3443
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any models which don't put much strain on the Kids eyes.
How do you define strain? According to me, and I am not any kind of medical or optician person, too bright strains the eyes. Back in the day of CRTs, we had to check that they did not perceptibly flicker, as that was bad for the eyes. People were always changing settings, not realising they were giving themselves headaches. But then one had to look at the screen out of the corner of the eye to see the flicker.

So:

-- no flicker (seems to be a problem that's gone away these days).
-- Bright enough but not too bright. And "enough" is probably less than you think.

Frankly, most of the stuff that makes us spend more money on monitors is more to do with aesthetics: that your pictures and movies look great is nice, but it isn't causing you less eye strain. That colours are calibrated is great if you are photo editing, but again, it isn't a strain thing. Super high resolutions are not (in my opinion) healthier in any way.

I do think that getting the kids to sit properly at a table with a monitor in front of them is healthier than using tablets or ipads. I can believe that many of us spend too much time with out necks bent, looking down at out phones, etc.

The other thing is to take plenty of breaks. Walk around for a few minutes at least once every hour, and spend a few minutes allowing the eyes to focus into the distance.

To sum up: how the monitor is being used is much more important than what model it is.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 14:54   #3444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I do think that getting the kids to sit properly at a table with a monitor in front of them is healthier than using tablets or ipads. I can believe that many of us spend too much time with out necks bent, looking down at out phones, etc.
PS, another thought... I'd suggest a PC and monitor rather than a laptop.

I always do, for technical reasons, ease of repair, upgrade, etc: I recommend laptops only when portability is needed. In this instance, though, I am thinking of posture. Working with a laptop, the eyes and the head are still down, even if not as bad as with a tablet/phone. A monitor on its stand can be set at eye height. Please consult the internet for correct work posture guidance.

Do we have any physio folk to comment? It can be bad enough for adults once they are condemned to spend the rest of our lives in front of a screen. I think that indian21r has raised very important question about optical and postural aspects of children spending time ahead on remote learning.

Back in the day, our staff were also advised to see if they needed different spectacles for computer work (the company paid ). I have special computer glasses, as I like my screen quite far away, finger-tip distance, and my reading-glass prescription will not do.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 14:55   #3445
BHPian

Quote:
What will this monitor connect to? iPad, your laptop or some other device? (specify version/connectivity options)

If you really want the mac, go for it
The only reason why I don't want to use the existing 21" monitor is it seems to emit lot of blue light. (My laptop and phones run on night mode all the time). Monitor will be connected to a laptop. Any monitors with webcam integrated. If not I may look towards iMac or AIO's to reduce the clutter. I will check if there is a decent offer during the prime sales day. Alternatives to Macs seem to start at 20k for 21" FHD screens.

Quote:
One of the Primary reasons I want to get a desktop vs a laptop/ ipad. Kids Posture is getting very awkward with the small devices. With a desktop at the least they will sit at a table and look straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Frankly, most of the stuff that makes us spend more money on monitors is more to do with aesthetics: that your pictures and movies look great is nice, but it isn't causing you less eye strain. That colours are calibrated is great if you are photo editing, but again, it isn't a strain thing. Super high resolutions are not (in my opinion) healthier in any way.

The other thing is to take plenty of breaks. Walk around for a few minutes at least once every hour, and spend a few minutes allowing the eyes to focus into the distance.

To sum up: how the monitor is being used is much more important than what model it is.
Thanks I will keep these in mind while introducing a desktop to my daughters. As of now getting them to focus on screen for 10 minutes on the trot is a stretch so breaks will be plenty. But once it is cartoons they will sit through even 30 mins

Apart from kids usage, the setup will mostly be used for web browsing / watch netflix etc (opted not to keep TV at home). Once in a while video editing.
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 14:58   #3446
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Any suggestion for a basic 35 k desktop ?

Main usage is for kids educational purpose, occasional MS office work, web browsing and very rarely - casual gaming.

Looking to divide it into 25 k for APU/MB/RAM/SDD/HDD/Cabinet (slim cabinet preferred) etc + 10k for Monitor.
Old 27th July 2020, 19:08   #3447
BHPian

Related to the posts above, I had an old desktop. Just swapped a 250gb SSD in it.
partitioned it to boot from Ubunto or PrimeOS ( Android ).
Picked up a wireless keyboard + mouse set and hooked up the PC to the TV via HDMI.
Also plugged in an external camera that sits below the TV.

This one is now used as the spare pc for any Web conferencing / Kids school sessions if the resident home laptop is occupied / Wifes online yoga class etc..

Also installed Kodi on the Ubuntu platform and use it as a Media center pc.
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 19:29   #3448
BHPian

Quote:
The only reason why I don't want to use the existing 21" monitor is it seems to emit lot of blue light. (My laptop and phones run on night mode all the time). Monitor will be connected to a laptop. Any monitors with webcam integrated. If not I may look towards iMac or AIO's to reduce the clutter. I will check if there is a decent offer during the prime sales day. Alternatives to Macs seem to start at 20k for 21" FHD screens.

One of the Primary reasons I want to get a desktop vs a laptop/ ipad. Kids Posture is getting very awkward with the small devices. With a desktop at the least they will sit at a table and look straight.

Apart from kids usage, the setup will mostly be used for web browsing / watch netflix etc (opted not to keep TV at home). Once in a while video editing.
Use a simple blue light filter for the time being. Look for the Night Light option that comes with your OS, or f.lux if you want a more elaborate, dedicated application.

There are plenty of displays that are better to look at without having to spec. match retina stuff. High resolutions can actually be harder to look at without proper scaling re:display size. For example, the optimal resolution for 1920x1080(FHD) seems to be around 24 inches. Some of this is down to personal preference although many people will have trouble looking at a smaller/higher resolution display from a (typical monitor) distance. When used as a TV, optimal size:resolution ratio changes. I can make some recommendations once you've zeroed in on the size of monitor best fit for the viewing distance.

Also, when you start looking for unnecessary integration, not only do you pay more but often get a mediocre product with fewer choices. A really good webcam from say the likes of Logitech will be far superior to most packaged deals and will stay out of the way once you attach it to your monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Guys,

Any suggestion for a basic 35 k desktop ?

Main usage is for kids educational purpose, occasional MS office work, web browsing and very rarely - casual gaming.

Looking to divide it into 25 k for APU/MB/RAM/SDD/HDD/Cabinet (slim cabinet preferred) etc + 10k for Monitor.
A slim/compact cabinet will take some of the budget away from core components. Let me know if this is super important to you, will suggest something accordingly. For now, check this link and tell me what you think:-
https://www.primeabgb.com/cart/?cxec...ve-cart=145230

Last edited by Amien : 27th July 2020 at 19:31. Reason: reduced text
Amien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 12:01   #3449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A slim/compact cabinet will take some of the budget away from core components. Let me know if this is super important to you, will suggest something accordingly. For now, check this link and tell me what you think:-
https://www.primeabgb.com/cart/?cxec...ve-cart=145230
Thanks!

A slim/compact cabinet is preferred due to space constraints in my study table. However, its not a deal-breaker. Do let me know if you have good recommendations on a slim cabinet.

The configuration you suggested looks good. Could you also recommend a Monitor ? Nothing fancy, but it should have HDMI cable and support HD resolution, and preferably non glare screen.

thanks again

Last edited by DCEite : 28th July 2020 at 12:07.
Old 28th July 2020, 18:48   #3450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Thanks!

A slim/compact cabinet is preferred due to space constraints in my study table. However, its not a deal-breaker. Do let me know if you have good recommendations on a slim cabinet.

The configuration you suggested looks good. Could you also recommend a Monitor ? Nothing fancy, but it should have HDMI cable and support HD resolution, and preferably non glare screen.

thanks again
You're most welcome

https://www.primeabgb.com/online-pri...def-mini-c-bk/ This is a high quality case that's about as compact as you want to go before you need to select an ITX motherboard (more expensive, fewer expansion slots).

https://amzn.to/30RoOjm Decent 21.5inch panel overall, fit for your requirements(FullHD/IPS/HDMI), high pixel density owing to the smaller size, resolution can be reduced if needed.
https://amzn.to/30YOsT4 24 inch variant for 10k. <better fit for the FullHD resolution as mentioned above.

These also come with a high refresh rate (75hz) + Freesync support at 8/10k, which is very nice

Last edited by Amien : 28th July 2020 at 19:18. Reason: reduced text, added option.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks