Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2008, 09:44   #1981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
You must be kidding! aren't you? How did you ever manage to do that?

I'll pick a TV over the wife if i have to - No! she is not part of t-bhp and so wont be reading this message

Anyway, Can someone recommend a good brand for the HDMI cables for around 500-600 buks? Any shop name in SP road will also help -- thanks
It was our choice, even now I don't care too much for TV, I bought mine mainly for the movies. I always go to a guy called Sunrise electronics, he can give you whatever cable you want.
Old 17th November 2008, 14:17   #1982
BHPian

Pioneer 9th Generation Plasmas Released

Hey guys

Looks like the 9th gen plasmas from Pioneer have been released. Found this 1st take on CNet Asia:

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500A (50-inch plasma) Preview - TVs - CNET Asia

Even in Singapore, it is sold at a 30% premium over comparable full HD plasmas like the Panasonic 50PY850. Listed price for this 50 inch 9th gen Pioneer plasma is SGD 8,999 !!! That comes to around INR 2.7 lakh. Plus import duties, VAT etc - would come to easily 3 to 3.5 lakh. Too much in my opinion. Would rather pick up the Panasonic PY850 for INR 2 lakh or less here in India.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 17th November 2008, 16:08   #1983
BHPian

suggestions for a 32 LCD

Hi Guys

I am looking for a 32 LCD for my bedroom. Don't want to spend more than 35k. ANy suggestions?

Have shortlisted Pana LX80 based on some reviews i have read. Either that or best Samsung 32 incher within my budget as i get a discount on Samsung. (nothing big) What do you say??

Thanks

Elito
Old 17th November 2008, 16:42   #1984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
But then Panasonic's brand value as a Plasma maker influenced me. Also I had a Pani home theater system already.
Again Panasonic is Japanese and LG is Korean.
I had almost the same mind set before deciding on the PV8. I already have an old video cassette player and a newer version Digital Video Cam both from Pana. Which HT do you use from pana ? I have a plan to upgrade mine soon. Thought of making use of the VIERA link function if I stick to the same brand, but not too sure if they have some decent HT models.

My PV8 is delivered (Devi for 50k, got a customer for my 29" TV for 6k which is a net of 44k) and self-installed on the stand for the time-being while I will take few days to do some concealed wiring works on the wall for the cables of Plasma and Home theatre, eventually wall mounting by the company installer.

I am using my old V-Guard stabiliser of 300 VA for the PV8. But I dont think I can connect my Plasma (335 watts) and Home theatre (225 watts) together to this (may be an overload according to my limited knowledge). I have to get a 500 VA stabilizer for this purpose, will clarify this with some electricians.

As of now I am happy with my S-Video quality from the home theatre (Sony) but not really ok with the tatasky clarity. Checking on the ways to improve this stuff. Suggestions welcome. Presently not having any HDMI gadgets, so 2 HDMI ports are in effect non-existant !
Old 17th November 2008, 17:07   #1985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I am using my old V-Guard stabiliser of 300 VA for the PV8. But I dont think I can connect my Plasma (335 watts) and Home theatre (225 watts) together to this (may be an overload according to my limited knowledge). I have to get a 500 VA stabilizer for this purpose, will clarify this with some electricians.
500VA won't be enough under all conditions. If you're HT is taking constant 225watts and under variable conditions the panny also pulls in 335 watts at some point in time - then you have exceeded 500 VA (225 + 335). I suggest you keep the HT off the stabilizer.
Old 17th November 2008, 19:53   #1986
BHPian

Quote:
I had almost the same mind set before deciding on the PV8. I already have an old video cassette player and a newer version Digital Video Cam both from Pana. Which HT do you use from pana ? I have a plan to upgrade mine soon. Thought of making use of the VIERA link function if I stick to the same brand, but not too sure if they have some decent HT models.
I use Pana SC-PT950 5.1c /5CD changer. I bought this in US and had tough time carrying it back home.

Panasonic doesn't do good sound. For HT, I would suggest Sony or use a Pioneer receiver with additional speaker hooked up if you want full blown setup.

Quote:
As of now I am happy with my S-Video quality from the home theatre (Sony) but not really ok with the tatasky clarity. Checking on the ways to improve this stuff. Suggestions welcome. Presently not having any HDMI gadgets, so 2 HDMI ports are in effect non-existant !
I am guessing, this is where V-REAL PRO makes the difference. I read somewhere this the core processing unit where it converts your SD content suitable for this display. I haven't seen any of the PV80 owners complaining
Old 17th November 2008, 20:19   #1987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
I am guessing, this is where V-REAL PRO makes the difference. I read somewhere this the core processing unit where it converts your SD content suitable for this display. I haven't seen any of the PV80 owners complaining
oh now i know why my friend who got a pv8 has been complaining about his hathway viewing on pv8 - i told him its a signal issue, cos I have an awesome experience with hathway on my pv80.
Old 17th November 2008, 20:29   #1988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
Hey guys

Looks like the 9th gen plasmas from Pioneer have been released. Found this 1st take on CNet Asia:

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500A (50-inch plasma) Preview - TVs - CNET Asia

Even in Singapore, it is sold at a 30% premium over comparable full HD plasmas like the Panasonic 50PY850. Listed price for this 50 inch 9th gen Pioneer plasma is SGD 8,999 !!! That comes to around INR 2.7 lakh. Plus import duties, VAT etc - would come to easily 3 to 3.5 lakh. Too much in my opinion. Would rather pick up the Panasonic PY850 for INR 2 lakh or less here in India.

Warm regards,
Venkat
If you see a pioneer in action, I'm sure you'd not maintain the same view. Frankly other than the fact that both are plasmas, the pioneer and panasonic TVs are worlds apart. Its like comparing a Porsche 911 to a Bugatti Veyron.

My advice would be to just forget about Full HD and get the 8G 50" 5080HD Pioneer that retails for 1.5lacs. In simple words, it murders the 50PY850.
Old 17th November 2008, 20:37   #1989
BHPian

ROC

Where in Chennai can I see the 8th gen Pioneer plasmas ? Are you sure the 50 inch model costs 1.5L ? Is this in Bangalore ? I know Proaudiotronics in Bangalore is the authorised dealer/distributor for Pioneer in India.

When I get the larger plasma for my hall, I shall definitely look at a Pioneer - 5-6 months down the line. For now, it's gonna be a 42 inch I guess.
Old 17th November 2008, 20:45   #1990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ROC

Where in Chennai can I see the 8th gen Pioneer plasmas ? Are you sure the 50 inch model costs 1.5L ? Is this in Bangalore ? I know Proaudiotronics in Bangalore is the authorised dealer/distributor for Pioneer in India.

When I get the larger plasma for my hall, I shall definitely look at a Pioneer - 5-6 months down the line. For now, it's gonna be a 42 inch I guess.
The bangalore dealer is a crook and is still charging higher prices. The price I quoted is from the Delhi distributor (Alpha Radios) and he's willing to ship it anywhere insured for an additional 2k. The 42" 428XD is 95k from them and the 508XD(5080HD in most markets) is 1.5lacs.
Old 17th November 2008, 20:46   #1991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
oh now i know why my friend who got a pv8 has been complaining about his hathway viewing on pv8 - i told him its a signal issue, cos I have an awesome experience with hathway on my pv80.

Just in case he does not have a AV set up ask him to invest in a Denon 1909 AV Receiver - It upscales SD analogue input to full HD and I read it does this rather well!!
Old 17th November 2008, 20:51   #1992
BHPian

PDP-508XD - Chennai prices

Hi Venkat...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
I just got a quote of 4+ lakhs for the Pioneer PDP-LX508D (full-HD) & 2+ lakhs for the PDP-508XD (HD-ready) from a Pioneer vendor here in Chennai.
The vendor I got the quote from was 'Audio-People' & the quote was got in August. Not sure if prices have dropped to reasonable levels now though.
Old 17th November 2008, 21:05   #1993
Senior - BHPian

I got a quote for 1.9L for the Pioneer 5080.

I will upgrade to a full HD only when we start getting HD DTH content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
In simple words, it murders the 50PY850.

Cnet is much kinder ROC - as are all the other forums carrying reviews on the PY850 - surely the Kuro's don't "murder" the PY850! What are the differences you found?

Last edited by kb100 : 17th November 2008 at 21:08.
Old 17th November 2008, 21:10   #1994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Just in case he does not have a AV set up ask him to invest in a Denon 1909 AV Receiver - It upscales SD analogue input to full HD and I read it does this rather well!!
nopesy - he saw the quality of hathway after being upscaled by my pv80 and got a non-hdmi non-upscaling onkyo with Jamo s606 - boy is he gonna be mad when he realises in the process of saving he went for the wrong panny variant infact he has no issues with his lame ol' dvd player, just hathway it seems
Old 17th November 2008, 21:28   #1995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
infact he has no issues with his lame ol' dvd player, just hathway it seems
I too have Hathway and have complaintswith scan lines, but with TataSky this should be the case. I have seen demo in pana shop with TakaSky and it was far better than my hathway on PV80.

As I said earlier, V-REAL-III PRO on PV80 does a far better job than V-REAL-III on PV8. Thats what we pay 5k more, not just HDMI or SD ports.

Also I found in some forums that V-REAL-III PRO is for high end and just the V-REAL-III is for low end.
So PV80 is more like pitching into the lower end in the high-end line of Pana series.
Even the Pana shop guy said this is the mojor difference between PV8 and PV80.

Most Viewed