Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2021, 20:39   #9916
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Hi Sahil! Did you buy one?.
Not yet. Looking to get it in the month end.

The Mi 75 inch looks like the only good well priced option. Hoping for more options to come by in the freedom sales
Old 2nd August 2021, 20:50   #9917
BHPian

I am planning to buy a 50 inch tv in next 2-3 months.
Have shortlisted below mentioned models. Any feedback from folks using these? I already have a Panasonic 50 inch at home but not very happy with it. So don’t want to go outside LG and Samsung this time. Budget is 50k max.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B084QZ9HK8/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B092B6R27Y/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I am tilting towards Samsung because it’s a 2021 model.

Last edited by warrioraks : 2nd August 2021 at 20:53.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 22:37   #9918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Since I am looking at a 55 inch TCL, was curious why you say this.
Let me summarize first that it is just me not being comfortable with a brand (some people have an aversion to Maruti but that doesnt mean Maruti does not make good cars).

No specific reason. Just got scared because of a few online reviews I came across last year when I was planning to buy a 55” TV in the price range of 35k.

Last year, I bought a 65” VU 4K LED TV and seeing mine, three of my neighbours also bought one each. Now I have a boAt soundbar that I tried connecting to the TV via HDMI ARC but it didn’t work. Surprisingly, this was working on other TVs that were bought so I replaced mine and the replacement came with broken display.

Coming to the main story, I shortlisted a newly launched model of TCL 55” 4K TV (dont remember the exact model). Numerous comments mentioned that the specifications were inaccurate. Second issue was that came across few comments that TCL TVs age faster (numerous reviews regarding dead pixels, blank lines etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Not yet. Looking to get it in the month end.

The Mi 75 inch looks like the only good well priced option. Hoping for more options to come by in the freedom sales
BTW, just wanted to mention this for the sake of completing my previous post (I forgot to mention earlier) that LG has a 100” projection size LED projector (LG PH550) priced at around 50k and being a LED projector, there are no issues of the bulb ageing fast and needing replacement in just 3000 hours or so. The average life is much higher at around 30,000 hours. Do check the specifications once.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 00:43   #9919
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post

BTW, just wanted to mention this for the sake of completing my previous post (I forgot to mention earlier) that LG has a 100” projection size LED projector (LG PH550) priced at around 50k and being a LED projector, there are no issues of the bulb ageing fast and needing replacement in just 3000 hours or so. The average life is much higher at around 30,000 hours. Do check the specifications once.
I have a high end Epson projector at home and it’s been quite problematic in the past. Moreover the image quality in a brightish room is just horrid. The TV I’m getting is for a conference room which is going to be pretty brightly light all the time. Don’t want to go down the projector route.
The ease of a TV is always better too with just one device being turned and good to go.

If you come across at 70+ inch LED in the ₹1-1.25L price range in next few weeks, do let me know.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 00:51   #9920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
I am planning to buy a 50 inch tv in next 2-3 months... don’t want to go outside LG and Samsung this time. Budget is 50k max.

Bought this Samsung model for our house in Goa. It's a great viewing experience. Have always had better experience with Samsung than LG when it comes to TVs. Another thing which tilted the decision in it's favour was the model being a 2021 one. Also got a 32 inch Samsung Smart TV as a bedroom TV for our house in Mumbai. Would definitely recommend you to opt for Samsung.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 06:35   #9921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Bought this Samsung model for our house in Goa. It's a great viewing experience. Have always had better experience with Samsung than LG when it comes to TVs. Another thing which tilted the decision in it's favour was the model being a 2021 one. Also got a 32 inch Samsung Smart TV as a bedroom TV for our house in Mumbai. Would definitely recommend you to opt for Samsung.
Thanks Nikhil.

How is the sound quality, do you need a sound bar along with the tv?

Also I read in one of the reviews that this model is only available online. Did you purchase it online or offline?
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:40   #9922
BHPian

Quote:
How is the sound quality, do you need a sound bar along with the tv?

Also I read in one of the reviews that this model is only available online. Did you purchase it online or offline?
We had a MarQ Soundbar, have installed that along with the TV. We're so used to soundbars these days that trusting just vanilla TV sound is difficult.

Don't know whether it's available offline. I had no option but to purchase via Flipkart, because we were avoiding to physically visit any showroom etc due to the pandemic. Would have ideally liked to visit and experience it first hand, but nonetheless.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 19:39   #9923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Bought this Samsung model for our house in Goa. It's a great viewing experience. .
The OS is Tizen as against the usual Android.

Does it matter ? Would pure Android Smart TV be better ? I am aware Google and Samsung are collaborating in the Wear OS space.
Old 5th August 2021, 23:14   #9924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post

Does it matter ? Would pure Android Smart TV be better ? I am aware Google and Samsung are collaborating in the Wear OS space.
Samsung has improved on the Tizen OS by leaps and bounds now and also gets regular updates. Haven't experienced any kinks, it's very smooth and now has access to all the common OTT apps, etc. Some Android TVs have a tendency of lagging at times. I prefer Tizen over LG's WebOS though. My 2 year old VU 55 inch Android hasn't given me any problems either. At the end of the day, it's a personal choice.
Old 6th August 2021, 01:18   #9925
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to buy a 50 inch tv in next 2-3 months.
Have shortlisted below mentioned models. Any feedback from folks using these? I already have a Panasonic 50 inch at home but not very happy with it. So don’t want to go outside LG and Samsung this time. Budget is 50k max.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B084QZ9HK8/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

We got Samsung's THE FRAME QLED 4K / 55" last year.

Quick review :

Excellent contrast ratio, vivid colors and ideally suited for watching movies in 4K (it has upscaling function that upscales resolution to 4K from native SD/HD format).

Although the QLED (backlit) VA panels have better contrast ratio and wider color gamut, local dimming is only available on higher end models. As opposed to OLEDs from LG/SONY, QLEDs don't have the possibility of screen burn-in.

The sound output (quality as well as speech clarity at higher volume) is terrible. A decent soundbar / home theatre is a must-have to compliment the fantastic visuals that you will experience from such TVs. You will have to factor this into your overall budget for the complete immersive experience.

Warning! - Although Samsung's Tizen OS is easy to use, it is terrible in terms of user flexibility or wide range of apps, when compared to TVs from SONY or LG running on Android OS. The internal storage on Samsungs is very limited.

Pre-installed apps like Netflix,Amazon,Samsung Web browser is fine, but Tizen has lot of bloatware (3 different kinds of voice assistants) + several other apps that you CANNOT delete, even if you want to. This results in the already poor on-board storage, getting clogged with stuff you will never use and occasional software updates fail to execute. We learnt this the hard way. I had to improvise by performing a factory reset that cleared the memory, as customer service was clueless about how to address this issue!

Samsung's One Connect Box (only provided with The Frame and other QLEDs) is a fantastic solution for hiding all your wires and cables. Check it out on Samsung's website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post

I can share my experience of Samsung's The Frame QLED 4K / 55" that we acquired last year.

Tizen OS - Easy to use and a wider selection of essential apps now available. However, the bloatware (unwanted default apps pre-installed before purchase) CANNOT be deleted/permanantly removed. These take up the precious, very limited on-board storage. Unlike android, there is no workaround to circumvent Tizen's absolute control over pre-installed apps.
The issue is so severe that regular software updates fail to exucute with the TV informing you that there isin't enough memory available! (due to aforementioned bloatware).

Things you should look for is :
1) Android OS (not necessarily pure version)
2) Ample on board storage memory that's user available (That is memory left for your use after OS & default apps allocation).

Hope this helps.

Last edited by vb-saan : 6th August 2021 at 05:51. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Thank you!
TDCi4Life is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 08:26   #9926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDCi4Life View Post
We got Samsung's THE FRAME QLED 4K / 55" last year.
Thanks for the review. This tv is way beyond my budget currently. Might wait for festive discounts to see if the prices fall within my stretch budget.

Last edited by warrioraks : 6th August 2021 at 08:29.
Old 6th August 2021, 10:35   #9927
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the review. This tv is way beyond my budget currently. Might wait for festive discounts to see if the prices fall within my stretch budget.
You are welcome. Do note that Tizen OS shortcomings mentioned above are common in all their models. I will strongly recommend Android OS for your new acquisition. Unless, you come across some 2021 models in their 4K Crystal series with more on-board storage capacity than 4GB.
I forgot to mention though, the peak brightness for Samsungs isin't great and daytime viewing (if your living room has plenty of sunshine) will result in noticable reflections off the screen. You should look for models with peak brightness of at least 1000nits, unless most of your viewing is in the evening, or the ambient daytime light isin't overbearing.

Anyone who is planning on picking up their new TV from Amazon/Flipkart/etc - Please visit the showroom and view the shortlisted models first hand, before ordering online or otherwise. This legwork is totally woth it.

Kindly note that all showrooms have their display sets on 'Demo' mode. Which isin't your daily viewing conditions. Ask for the remote, tinker around with the display settings and you will have a better idea of which model delivers the max bang for your buck!

All the best for your impending acquisition.
TDCi4Life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 11:14   #9928
BHPian

Pro tip for TV exchange - You will get a much better price for your existing LED/LCD set on OLX, as exchange offer valuation for your existing TV from showrooms/e-commerce retailers is the bare minimum. The only flipside for the OLX route - You might have to let prospective buyers visit your home for inspection, which is totally your call considering the current environment.

We got a pretty good price for our 7 yr old Samsung 40" LED on OLX and the deal was done with the first prospective buyer who showed genuine intent with a good offer. That just boils down to luck.
Old 6th August 2021, 15:09   #9929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
The showrooms definitely play around with settings and video to make OLED look very enticing but do we as consumers of netflix Youtube etc really can discern?
LG OLED55A1PTA This was the model I saw.
Ended up buying this model https://www.lg.com/sg/tvs/lg-55nano75tpa happy with the purchase
Old 6th August 2021, 17:43   #9930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Sorry to disappoint everyone but I picked up a OnePlus 65" U1S yesterday evening on Amazon, and it was delivered in 14 hours flat this morning with installation tomorrow.
Installation was seamless and the installer came with the necessary drill & bits required to drill through the wall mounted wooden panel and into the wall behind.

First impressions are that 65" really makes for a mesmerizing effect, and we actually watched a few movies on it, which otherwise we would have seen on our devices. Overall, picture quality is good and can be easily adjusted among the HDR, AI, Movie etc modes.

We normally watch during the late afternoon and evening so panel brightness is not a big issue. The audio is definitely not great and some streaming services are down on the dialogue part.

The UI needs updates and considerable work and especially Netflix can be very buggy. Rest of the input modes are okay as per my standards and my old USB drive with LoTR worked perfectly.

Overall, a happy man. 65" is the way to go
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks