Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2023, 07:20   #10291
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Folks, got an older standard Samsung 58" one. Suddenly remembered we had some points in the Samsung Smart Club app, hence reinstalled the app, and bought through it on a HDFCB 6M NCE for an appealing price.
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_20230329_072051.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 29th March 2023 at 07:24.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 11:24   #10292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Update on the hunt for a Panasonic TV in 2023:
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Ele...CL-outsourcing

I don't think any Panasonic TV exists in 2023. All models are basically re-branded TCL ones.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 13:13   #10293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If there were any other brand that matched the near black levels of detail and color reproduction of the Panasonic then I would definitely consider it however everything else just looks so over processed and artificial for my taste that I cannot justify spending big bucks on them.
Even I had a Panasonic Plasma Panel and I agree black levels were no match against LED tvs. Plasma screens contain tiny pockets of gas that get excited when voltage is applied to them, turning them into a state of plasma. When the television wants to display black, it simply emits no voltage at all for the selected pixels, hence you get those deep blacks. Whereas LED pixels never switch off completely and hence you will never get the black levels like plasma.

Plasma is now and obsolete technology and I don't think any brand will manufacture plasma tvs henceforth. Also plasma tvs consume more energy and heat up a lot and have slow refresh rate, whereas world is moving to more energy efficient and slim products, with high refresh rate to cope up with UHD and 4K content.

The latest QLED screens produce very similar black levels to plasma but not exactly like the plasma.
Old 29th March 2023, 14:31   #10294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If there were any other brand that matched the near black levels of detail and color reproduction of the Panasonic then I would definitely consider it however everything else just looks so over processed
Having worked in this industry.. only reasonable options are :
  • Get OLED TV. Will surpass even Panasonic Plasma (As measured by color matching devices)
  • Get a "professional display panel" instead of TV. It is the same Hardware that is in consumer TVs , minus most of processing . Samsung/ LG/ Sharp are easily available in most Metros . E.g.: https://www.samsung.com/in/smart-sig...h65qbrebgcxxl/
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 15:12   #10295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I don't think any Panasonic TV exists in 2023. All models are basically re-branded TCL ones.
I believe TCL is taking over the manufacture of them but that they still use LG oled panels over which they add their own heatsinks and image processing (which is primarily what I am after).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Even I had a Panasonic Plasma Panel and I agree black levels were no match against LED tvs.
Which is why I am after their OLED TV options and not their LED ones.

Quote:
Having worked in this industry.. only reasonable options are :
  • Get OLED TV. Will surpass even Panasonic Plasma (As measured by color matching devices)
  • Yup that is what I am after unfortunately it is not the sheer black levels as many have misunderstood that I miss, but the level of detail in near black scenarios that I prefer on Panasonic panels. LG, Samsung and sometimes even Sonys end up crushing the image and losing out on a lot of detail in dark scenes. Apart from that I really do subscribe to Panasonic's hollywood professional tuned image as the colours seem exactly as they might at the cinema.
    Quote:
    Get a "professional display panel" instead of TV. It is the same Hardware that is in consumer TVs , minus most of processing . Samsung/ LG/ Sharp are easily available in most Metros . E.g.: https://www.samsung.com/in/smart-sig...h65qbrebgcxxl/
This is a great suggestion might there be any such professional panels that run 120hz though? As I would also love to hook it up to a console and game with my friends

Last edited by IshaanIan : 29th March 2023 at 15:13.
Old 29th March 2023, 15:34   #10296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which is why I am after their OLED TV options and not their LED ones.
There are only two major OLED panel manufacturers. LG & Samsung.

Samsung panels are used only by Samsung themselves.

LG supplies OLED panels to Panasonic, Sony, Hisense and LG themselves use it.

So even if you but a Panasonic OLED TV, panel inside will be LG make. Gone are the days when Panasonic came with "Made in Japan" sticker, now its "Manufactured in Vietnam". This is my experience with Panasonic A/c we bought for office.

My choice would be Samsung OLED because panels are made in-house, and hence there would be better integration among the electronic components. And these TVs ain't cheap so a good after sales service network is also important.

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 29th March 2023 at 15:40.
Old 29th March 2023, 15:47   #10297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe TCL is taking over the manufacture of them but that they still use LG oled panels over which they add their own heatsinks and image processing (which is primarily what I am after).
Whole Product org was laid-off. Now, Panasonic only works on pricing / distribution.

Quote:
is a great suggestion might there be any such professional panels that run 120hz though? As I would also love to hook it up to a console and game with my friends
Quite a few , an OLED Panel : https://www.lg.com/global/business/o...5ej5k#pdp_spec

Talk to few dealers that deal on professional displays, these is a shortage for large panels; so they would know about availability etc.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 16:12   #10298
BHPian

Quote:
Nope nothing and if I google Panasonic dealers in Hyderabad they all try having me buy the LG C2

Well fortunately I have never had to have any TV serviced as such so I am not too concerned about that. If there were any other brand that matched the near black levels of detail and color reproduction of the Panasonic then I would definitely consider it however everything else just looks so over processed and artificial for my taste that I cannot justify spending big bucks on them. Just out of curiosity what exactly on a TV might require servicing?
Mate! Are you after Panasonic TV only?

LG and Sony both have better OLED offerings. OLEDs have black levels which matches or betters Plasma black.

I have been a Plasma owner for long time and now own a LG OLED.

I dont think any Panasonic TV is currently rated better than a Sony on LG OLED so I don't get what specifically that you are looking for which a LG and Sony wont provide.

Both provide top of line OLEDs with Sony being on the costlier side. You cant go wrong with either.
Old 8th April 2023, 22:39   #10299
Senior - BHPian

I am looking to buy a TV (4k 65").
I am considering between Sony XR-65X90K (Full array LED, priced around Rs 143K) and Samsung QA65QN85AAKLXL (QLED, have got a quote of Rs 153 K).
I gathered that OLED is better then QLED and 'Full Array LED' is getting closer to QLED etc (and the theoretical differences about brightness, black rendering each of these offer). But I am wondering how much of these differences are perceivable by the human eye. If the difference is not noticeable, I am inclined to go with Sony as it is cheaper (I like Sony brand better).
It was hard to make out any difference in the showroom as the sample/demo video quality itself is not standard . May be I will ask them to play the same video on both, but they can still play around with the settings and make one look better than the other (if they want).
I wanted to hear what suggestions T-Bhpians have.
Old 8th April 2023, 23:26   #10300
Senior - BHPian

Being a Sony old timer, I have moved to Samsung QLED as the images are considerably brighter, sharper, colourful and Sony's electronics failed on us recently. We got solar cell powered sleek remote as well (Overseas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
But I am wondering how much of these differences are perceivable by the human eye. If the difference is not noticeable, I am inclined to go with Sony as it is cheaper (I like Sony brand better)
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 13:40   #10301
Senior - BHPian

Our 5-6 year old Sanyo LED shows horizontal lines in between. It changes every 2 seconds (from good to with lines). What may be the reason?
Attached Thumbnails
The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_20230410_133738.jpg  

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-img_20230410_133706.jpg  

Old 10th April 2023, 13:51   #10302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Our 5-6 year old Sanyo LED shows horizontal lines in between. It changes every 2 seconds (from good to with lines). What may be the reason?
See if it's related to a loose HDMI cable. If not, most likely your display panel has gone bad and will need replacement.
ToThePoint is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 22:42   #10303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToThePoint View Post
See if it's related to a loose HDMI cable. If not, most likely your display panel has gone bad and will need replacement.
Left the TV "ON" for about 30 min and issue fixed on its own.
Old 14th April 2023, 17:14   #10304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I am looking to buy a TV (4k 65").
I am considering between Sony XR-65X90K (Full array LED, priced around Rs 143K)
I am happy with the Sony XR-65X90K. Got it at low price during the Diwali Sale in BLR. Refer my earlier post here > (The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.).
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 06:23   #10305
BANNED

What is the current opinion on buying a Smart TV? When I bought a TV last, I purchased a non-Smart TV & used Chromecast to make it smart. My reasoning back then was if the TV had inbuilt smartness, it would eventually become obsolete because the TV company would stop updating the software in a few years since it would be an old model by then. So may be I would be able to access the playstore etc to update some app or download the new app etc.

So is this a valid concern? How is this handled?

What is the best kind of smart TV to buy? One with Android or something with a proprietary OS or what?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks