Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2018, 08:19   #406
BHPian

Re: The Headphones Thread

Guys, I am planning to buy the Bose QC35 soon. I stay in Chennai. I understand there is a Bose showroom in Forum Vijaya Mall. Do they or any other showroom allow one to test the headphones before buying?
Old 21st December 2018, 10:11   #407
Senior - BHPian

I'm using the QC35 for a year now and am happy with them. Bose Stores and few high-end stores like CROMA always let you audition a pair before buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Guys, I am planning to buy the Bose QC35 soon. I stay in Chennai. I understand there is a Bose showroom in Forum Vijaya Mall. Do they or any other showroom allow one to test the headphones before buying?
Attached Images

Old 21st December 2018, 10:56   #408
Senior - BHPian

Guys, hows the Sony WH-1000XM3? Getting a good deal on them and it is high time i upgraded from my Sony MDR 10RNC.

Noise cancelling was a tech i did not know i needed till i actually experienced it. It is a boon while travelling on crowded trains. The old sony is fraying off and i am tired of replacing the ear pads and headbands [got a headband cover now].

How do you guys keep the earpads from flaking off?
Old 21st December 2018, 12:53   #409
Senior - BHPian

The MDR would flake/fray, but the WH is a different material and more robust. I tried leather conditioner long back, and it looks shiny new for days. (Even on previous Bose, the calf leather would split after 5 years). New ones are lasting a while, at least for me. If not Bose, the Sony WH-1000XM3 would do it for me. Just go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Guys, hows the Sony WH-1000XM3? How do you guys keep the earpads from flaking off?
Old 21st December 2018, 13:08   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

I compared the 599 with the 598 SR. You can hear the difference. Seriously. The 598 SR, an already smooth can is comparatively harsh in the mid range compared with the 599. The 599 is SMOOTH like my HD 650 that costs over 2x more. The 599 is an entry level audiophile offering that prepares you further delights in the Sennheiser audiophile/"audiophool" range
How are you driving your cans expecially the HD650?
Old 21st December 2018, 17:20   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
How are you driving your cans expecially the HD650?
Well, I bought these cans in 2008 and have used a variety of amps and DACs over the years including my desktop PC kitted with Xonar Essence STX sound card (built in headphone amp), a Pioneer LX series surround sound amp and notably the Shiite Lyr + Bifrost combo (lovely!). The Shiite kit is now with my brother.

At 300 Ohms these require an HA with more than a fair share of grunt. Valve or OTL (Output transformerless) low output impedance amps sound the best with the HD 600/650, 700 & 8xx models. The HD 660s is 150 Ohms and easier to drive with lower powered amps.

So the primary source is my PC where I access play FLACs stored on local drives or on the NAS using JRiver or Winamp which remain 2 of my favourite software media players. I tried Audirvana. It is very good but too expensive. Musicbee & MediaMonkey are pretty similar to Winamp in output. Yep, a good quality software media player does make a difference. You can hear the difference.

I use a portable Fiio Q1 ii DAC + amp with my iPhone 7+ and one of the lower impedance Sennheiser PX or HD 5xx series
Old 4th January 2019, 13:20   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Guys, hows the Sony WH-1000XM3? Getting a good deal on them and it is high time i upgraded from my Sony MDR 10RNC.

Noise cancelling was a tech i did not know i needed till i actually experienced it. It is a boon while travelling on crowded trains. The old sony is fraying off and i am tired of replacing the ear pads and headbands [got a headband cover now].

How do you guys keep the earpads from flaking off?
Did you end up buying the XM3's ? And can you please share where you bought them from and your first impressions.
I am interested in purchasing them but would first like to compare the comfort and audio quality of Sony and Bose QC35-II. Looked them up at US stores. At most places it's out of stock. At the rest of the places it's 368 USD with taxes which is not too far off the Indian price of 30k.
Old 4th January 2019, 13:27   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
Did you end up buying the XM3's ? And can you please share where you bought them from and your first impressions.
I am interested in purchasing them but would first like to compare the comfort and audio quality of Sony and Bose QC35-II. Looked them up at US stores. At most places it's out of stock. At the rest of the places it's 368 USD with taxes which is not too far off the Indian price of 30k.
Hi,

They only had the silver available, so kept my splurging till i get the black. I am just kicking myself that i missed a big sale for the Sennheiser PXC 550 on amazon at 9,999!

Sony seems to offer better NC but a bit more slightly bassy sound compared to the Bose which is something i wanted. And not sure about the Bose but Sony goes all the way to 40,000HZ.

And lastly might get it cheaper than the Bose so...
Old 4th January 2019, 13:57   #414
BHPian

Guys, am currently using Sennheiser cx-275 for the past 3yrs and now I want to buy wireless ear phones (preferable in-ear). My budget is not more than 5K. While browsing Amazon, I found few:
1. https://www.amazon.in/Sony-MDR-XB50B...n%3A6631662031
2. https://www.amazon.in/JBL-Endurance-...n%3A6631662031
3. https://www.amazon.in/JBL-Reflect-Sp...n%3A6631662031
4. https://www.amazon.in/JBL-T205BT-Wir...n%3A6631662031
5. https://www.amazon.in/Sony-MDR-AS600...n%3A6631662031

If any of you have firsthand experience on the above mentioned, please suggest and am open for alternates too.

Thanks in Advance,
Rajesh
Old 4th January 2019, 14:48   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Guys, am currently using Sennheiser cx-275 for the past 3yrs and now I want to buy wireless ear phones (preferable in-ear). My budget is not more than 5K.
Thanks in Advance,
Rajesh

If you can stretch to INR 6000, RHA MA390 Wireless is a great pair at that price point. I am using the wired version at INR 2000, and love it.

Pros :
1. 3 year replacement warranty
2. Great soundstage.
3. Not as bassheavy as Sony. Has a warm sound signature.
4. Uses a USB C port to charge + supports AptX.

Product Link : https://www.headphonezone.in/product...ma390-wireless
Old 4th January 2019, 14:52   #416
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm using the OnePlus Bullets wireless in-ear ones for 4k and am happy with them. Great battery life and reasonable sound. The MA390 mentioned above are no doubt better from what I have read.
Old 4th January 2019, 18:57   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
If you can stretch to INR 6000, RHA MA390 Wireless is a great pair at that price point. I am using the wired version at INR 2000, and love it. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I'm using the OnePlus Bullets wireless in-ear ones for 4k and am happy with them. Great battery life and reasonable sound. The MA390 mentioned above are no doubt better from what I have read.

Thanks Guys, I read reviews about RHA-MA390, although they are great sounding headphones, the bass seem to be comparably lesser. Am bass lover and the lack of thump would be downer for me. Please suggest.

-Rajesh

Last edited by khan_sultan : 7th January 2019 at 11:54. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 4th January 2019, 19:48   #418
Senior - BHPian

I recently bought the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Over-Ear Professional Studio Monitor Headphones on Amazon. They've been on my wishlist for years now and I finally got a great deal on them! On first use, man was I disappointed. They sounded only as good as my HD 202s! But I've been using them for hours now and I can feel the difference. They sound much better now and they are beginning to grow on me.

Many reviewers have not found them comfortable. But I don't feel that way. They sit well on my ears and I've used them for hours without and discomfort. Mostly listening to high quality music on Spotify or playing games. One downside though - these headphones will point out bad music and mistakes? made on recordings. You will discover sounds in songs you never thought were there! It is quite unforgiving. I think that is the biggest thing to overcome when listening on these.

Just for laughs - listen to this video on med-high volume with headphones on

Last edited by naveenroy : 4th January 2019 at 19:53.
Old 4th January 2019, 20:01   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
..On first use, man was I disappointed. They sounded only as good as my HD 202s! But I've been using them for hours now and I can feel the difference. They sound much better now and they are beginning to grow on me.
So what do you think about the whole concept of "burning in" your headphones? Is it a myth or do you really need to put in some hours of use before they sound good? A bit like running in an engine. After three pairs of high end headphones I've not been able to come to a conclusion about whether it really works.
Old 4th January 2019, 20:08   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
So what do you think about the whole concept of "burning in" your headphones? Is it a myth or do you really need to put in some hours of use before they sound good? A bit like running in an engine. After three pairs of high end headphones I've not been able to come to a conclusion about whether it really works.
I've never believed it. Maybe I still don't. I think it is partly that we as humans learn (or are conditioned) to get used to something. And maybe burning in is really true. Contradictory statements?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks