Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2019, 21:07   #421
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Headphones Thread

Dolby Atmos for Headphones

By my experience, worth every single paisa. There is a 15 day trial, at this moment works on windows 10 with compatible Bose Headphones and some others. I am using with QC-35. They never sounded so good before
Old 4th January 2019, 21:31   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Dolby Atmos for Headphones

By my experience, worth every single paisa. There is a 15 day trial, at this moment works on windows 10 with compatible Bose Headphones and some others. I am using with QC-35. They never sounded so good before
Yeah I read this on some review as well. Time to try it!
Old 4th January 2019, 23:38   #423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
So what do you think about the whole concept of "burning in" your headphones? Is it a myth or do you really need to put in some hours of use before they sound good? ... ... ...
The burning-in period is always longer than the returns period!

Almost certainly audiophoolery.

It has been argued that the components in an audio chain that have actual mechanical moving parts are going to change with age. This includes such things as a turntable stylus/cartridge and the drivers in speakers and headphones.

This is a very reasonable argument. But, back in the day when I was active in such discussions, one study that I came across compared drivers which had been removed from cinemas, with thousands of hours of use with identical ones that had never been unboxed... and found no difference.

Still, there may or may not be some change. One thing that I have observed is that my ears and brain adapt over time to any sound source. Some things happen faster than others. I have observed changes in live music amplification, and realised that the sound man was nowhere near the board!

Our ears and brains are complex sound-processing systems. The most important components of our audio setups are the ones inside our heads.
Old 5th January 2019, 00:08   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But, back in the day when I was active in such discussions, one study that I came across compared drivers which had been removed from cinemas, with thousands of hours of use with identical ones that had never been unboxed... and found no difference.
Well that settles it! I suspected it all along and now I'm convinced that burn in is just your ears adjusting to the sound. When I bought my first decent pair of headphones (Sennheiser Momentum) I was initially quite underwhelmed by the sound but a couple of days later couldn't get enough of it. This was probably a result of my expectations being too high.
Audiophiles (myself included) have a tendency to build an aura of mystery around their gear and use vague terms like burn in to justify to their spouses why that obscenely expensive piece of audio hardware doesn't sound as good as it should.
Roy.S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 05:39   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Thanks Guys, I read reviews about RHA-MA390, although they are great sounding headphones, the bass seem to be comparably lesser. Am bass lover and the lack of thump would be downer for me. Please suggest.

-Rajesh
IMHO, the bass is very accurate. Even I had graduated from Sony earphones, which had Xtra Bass functionality. It's definitely not as overpowering on the vocals and treble, as Sony does, but wherever you want the bass notes to hit, it hits the points really well.
I actually now don't miss the ear-numbing bass notes of Sony, once I've got the taste of the entire sound spectrum from RHA. It's LOUD too, and generally keep my earphones at 40% which were earlier at 60% for Sony, as the vocals are now not muffled.

Not to be promotional in anyway, but the website also offers trials, and products are returnable albeit a small fee is charged. Maybe you could just try them once before locking your choice.

Even I was in the same dilemma as you earlier because of the bass. I bought mine only after testing a friend's pair for 2 straight days.

Last edited by sharktale : 5th January 2019 at 05:41.
Old 5th January 2019, 07:05   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Hi,

They only had the silver available, so kept my splurging till i get the black. I am just kicking myself that i missed a big sale for the Sennheiser PXC 550 on amazon at 9,999!

Sony seems to offer better NC but a bit more slightly bassy sound compared to the Bose which is something i wanted. And not sure about the Bose but Sony goes all the way to 40,000HZ.

And lastly might get it cheaper than the Bose so...
Actually, I prefer the headphones being a little bass heavy. I know saying this is like committing Hara Kiri in an audiophile forum. :banghead:

Always have liked bass with overall decent sound. Coming from my current headphones, Skullcandy Crusher Wireless I didn't have much of a choice. All neutral sound signature headphones would have sounded too plain.

So, I went ahead with the 1000XM3. Ordered them on Amazon. And yes, they are back in stock in black colour. Current offer was 5% off on Sbi Credit Card EMI. Will post my impressions after they are delivered next week.
Old 5th January 2019, 09:48   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
Actually, I prefer the headphones being a little bass heavy. I know saying this is like committing Hara Kiri in an audiophile forum. :banghead:

Always have liked bass with overall decent sound. Coming from my current headphones, Skullcandy Crusher Wireless I didn't have much of a choice. All neutral sound signature headphones would have sounded too plain.

So, I went ahead with the 1000XM3. Ordered them on Amazon. And yes, they are back in stock in black colour. Current offer was 5% off on Sbi Credit Card EMI. Will post my impressions after they are delivered next week.
A neutral balanced sound is mostly preferred for music as you can always tune with EQ for more bass if required. But that said, i don't think the bass in the sony is overpowering like some of their other models which are known to thump out bass.

Was listening to a few maiden and sabbath songs and it was pretty ok and i could feel the bass guitar of steve harris and geezer butler thundering along nicely

Do let me know when you get them
Old 5th January 2019, 20:34   #428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Well that settles it! I suspected it all along and now I'm convinced that burn in is just your ears adjusting to the sound. When I bought my first decent pair of headphones (Sennheiser Momentum) I was initially quite underwhelmed by the sound but a couple of days later couldn't get enough of it. This was probably a result of my expectations being too high.
Audiophiles (myself included) have a tendency to build an aura of mystery around their gear and use vague terms like burn in to justify to their spouses why that obscenely expensive piece of audio hardware doesn't sound as good as it should.
Well, it settles it for me (perhaps? almost?) but many would, and do, disagree with my audio pronouncements!

I love my HD800s. Obscenely expensive for me, but now headphones are available at three to four times the price. And the reason I love them is that what some audiophiles find to be their fault actually compensates for my hearing deficiency.

Did not buy new. Did not pay anything close to list price. Still... can't imagine spending even more on headphones!
Old 6th January 2019, 03:53   #429
Senior - BHPian

Holy cow! Your headphones are listed at a price close to a lakh and half. Are these Sennheiser cans that good? Now, my curiosity is piqued. If the model is still running, I'll audition them for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I love my HD800s.
Old 6th January 2019, 15:07   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Holy cow! Your headphones are listed at a price close to a lakh and half. Are these Sennheiser cans that good? Now, my curiosity is piqued. If the model is still running, I'll audition them for sure.
Sorry: by "HD800s" I mean the plural of HD800, which was sold at a retail price of around 1 lakh. The new-model HD800S is more expensive than its predecessor, some prefer the former.

Despite resolving bass very well, the HD800 is nicknamed the facetweeter. Its treble, including a spike at 6000Hz, is uncomfortable to many, although there are several modifications available. Research and listen, if you can. Do not stumble blindly into HD800, even a used pair at half price. I have fairly severe high-frequency hearing loss: they suit me well.

I spent several happy years with my HD600. For those that want the sound of good hifi speakers direct to the ear, the HD600/HD650 is hard to beat.
Old 7th January 2019, 11:41   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
IMHO, the bass is very accurate. Even I had graduated from Sony earphones, which had Xtra Bass functionality. It's definitely not as overpowering on the vocals and treble, as Sony does, but wherever you want the bass notes to hit, it hits the points really well.
I actually now don't miss the ear-numbing bass notes of Sony, once I've got the taste of the entire sound spectrum from RHA. It's LOUD too, and generally keep my earphones at 40% which were earlier at 60% for Sony, as the vocals are now not muffled.

Not to be promotional in anyway, but the website also offers trials, and products are returnable albeit a small fee is charged. Maybe you could just try them once before locking your choice.

Even I was in the same dilemma as you earlier because of the bass. I bought mine only after testing a friend's pair for 2 straight days.
Thanks for clarifying sharktale. I'll definitely try these. Also, do you have any experience with Jays - T four
https://www.headphonezone.in/collect...-four-wireless
Old 10th January 2019, 16:40   #432
BHPian

So the Sony WH-1000X m3's got delivered today. These are my first truly premium headphones. I am coming from Skullcandy Crusher Wireless and Rha Ma-750i. I have this collection because I prefer a little bit extra bass.

Initial impressions-
1. I just got blown away by the noise cancellation. This was the main reason for getting these. There is some construction activity in a nearby house and I have to study for my exams. These drown out about 95% of all kinds of sounds. Eerily quiet. Yet comfortable.

2. Super premium build

3. Clarity of vocals is great. Bass is clean and punchy. Treble is a bit muted. Overall, I love the sound.

Only negative is that the touch controls on the right ear cup are quite temperamental. Attaching few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
The Headphones Thread-1547118573883.jpg  

The Headphones Thread-1547118619331.jpg  

Old 10th January 2019, 16:51   #433
BHPian

Hi BHPians

I am using Bose QC35 Series II since 1 year now.
My observations:
i) Noise cancellation is good, not perfect.
ii) Clarity of sound is very good.
iii) Over the ear comfort is supreme.
iv) When I dangle it on my neck, the ear cups have very high tension pulling them which makes it uncomfortable.
v) The form factor is easy to package in suitcases
(I travel a lot so this point also weighed in my decision to buy these cans)
Old 20th January 2019, 19:12   #434
BHPian

The XM3 available on Amazon for 25.5 k after 1500 discount with HDFC cards. Even on the 6 month EMI you get the offer .
Old 7th March 2019, 20:49   #435
BHPian

Hello all,

I recently gifted myself Sony WH-1000XM3 noise cancelling headphones. Bought them from USA and saved some dough.

Background: I used one plus bullets ear sets v2 prior to this. So this is a huge jump.

Few observations:

1. Noise cancelling is simply awesome.
2. Ambient sound control has different levels when used with Sony Headphones connect app.
3. One touch button to switch between Ambient/Noise Cancelling/No Ambient mode.
4. Tap on right side to control various functions like picking call, playing music or skipping them.
5. The same one touch button can be used to for Google assistant/Alexa by configuring it in Sony Headphones connect app. Loved this customisation.

Few issues:
1. My phone doesn't support Sony LDAC audio codec. Hence, have to run on old SBC audio codec which is very old codec.
2. The manual says that the Sony WH-1000XM3 supports LDAC, AptxHD, Aptx, AAC and SBC codec. I am currently using it with my MacBook. I downloaded Bluetooth utilities from Apple Developer site and forced audio quality to run on AAC and AptxHD. But still the headphones in on SBC codec. Few screenshots from my MacBook.

As you can see even though I forced to use a better audio codec, still stuck on SBC. I have rebooted the Mac and the headphones multiple times.

If anyone is able to run the headphones on Aptx or AAC, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
The Headphones Thread-screen-shot-20190307-20.21.19.png  

The Headphones Thread-screen-shot-20190307-20.20.03.png  

Last edited by rst89 : 7th March 2019 at 20:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks