Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 16:09   #3301
BHPian

I got mine from the apple store in London and it's factory unlocked...those guys specified this phone has sn international warranty and can be taken for service anywhere under the sky
Old 15th June 2011, 20:19   #3302
BHPian

From http://images.apple.com/legal/terms/...iphone_OOW.pdf, point# 9.
Apple MAY limit service to country of purchase.

Same kind of sentence on http://images.apple.com/legal/warran...4_warranty.pdf, page 4 line#1.

Now this "MAY" causes issues.

Come to think of it, I remember a friend of mine getting service in USA for phone bought from UK. I also remember being denied service for my iPhone. So, go figure.

I think your best bet is to call Apple customer care and see what they say.

Mods, I'm not sure if it is ok to post links to AAPL docs, but these are in public domain. In case not ok to post then please remove and not give infraction.
Old 15th June 2011, 20:51   #3303
Team-BHP Support

@ajay: am out of station till Saturday morning starting now, my card is/was almost 8 year old. It's layered so the rear cover might open up, just put some super glue that's all, ie if it opens up.

@selfdrive: bought it off eBay when iPhone 4 was launched in US for 700 bucks came with some adapters also. It's like a punch tool.
Old 15th June 2011, 20:55   #3304
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS 5 announced!

Apple has launched unlocked iphones in the US now.
Quote:
The unlocked iPhone 4 is being priced at $649 and $749 for the 16GB and 32GB models, respectively, and are available in black and white colors.
INR pricing looks decent at 29k and 33.5K respectively.

http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/5514...iPhone+4+in+US
Old 16th June 2011, 17:15   #3305
BHPian

Thats quite close to the indian price....not worth the risk of buying from the US. But what I fail to understand is why we cant get service or warranty on Iphones bought outside of India. they show with IMEI no. on the Apple site, and almost everyone else in every other country enjoys international warranty...except us....
Old 16th June 2011, 17:35   #3306
BHPian

Now this is just an hypothesis.

If you bought an iPhone outside India and imported it then for it to be a legal import you would have to pay duty on it.
If you did not pay duty on it then it is illegal and probably AAPL discourages that.

I wonder if any one paid duty and has protection plan and then tried for service.

For folks who have been Mac users, before India allowed 1 laptop to be brought in without customs levy, were you able to utilize the international warranty?
Old 16th June 2011, 19:44   #3307
BANNED

Had nice fight with Airtel and their service provider in Koramangala and got the SIM cut from them and made them to agree if it dosent work they are going to give me new micro sim card or they are going to loose all my connections, it was fun but painful that how they treat customers if they are cool headed and how things works once you loose your cool.
Thanks Jaggu.
Old 16th June 2011, 20:47   #3308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon
For folks who have been Mac users, before India allowed 1 laptop to be brought in without customs levy, were you able to utilize the international warranty?
I've been a mac user since 93 and I can tell you no mac user I knew in those days risked buying it internationally. Macs were prone to failing unless kept in AC environments and the costs of repairing were immense. It was far more prudent to buy from an official reseller and get a service plan included with the purchase.
Old 16th June 2011, 21:06   #3309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orko

I've been a mac user since 93 and I can tell you no mac user I knew in those days risked buying it internationally. Macs were prone to failing unless kept in AC environments and the costs of repairing were immense. It was far more prudent to buy from an official reseller and get a service plan included with the purchase.
Orko, why buy from official reseller with service plan? Did they offer international warranty then?
Don't mean to question the judgement but want to know the reason. just to check on my hypothesis.

And if the reason for AAPL to refuse international warranty is to "force" users to buy from local country and help local carriers then, I wonder, if that would that change with them selling unlocked phones in US.

OT, Are you a He Man fan?
Old 17th June 2011, 02:24   #3310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Apple has launched unlocked iphones in the US now.

INR pricing looks decent at 29k and 33.5K respectively.

Apple Unlocks iPhone 4 in US - Zacks.com
The 3G doesn't work on T-Mobile - another GSM carrier of USA. Only edge or 2G will work.

I doubt if 3G will work in India. So while its still unlocked, its locked, if you know what i mean.
Old 17th June 2011, 02:34   #3311
Senior - BHPian

Why would 3G not work on T-Mobile? Have they locked down 3G to AT&T in iPhone 4?
Old 17th June 2011, 04:44   #3312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle
I doubt if 3G will work in India. So while its still unlocked, its locked, if you know what i mean.
Errr, kyon dara rahe ho? 3G on iPhone works in India. Lot of folks on the forum are enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
Why would 3G not work on T-Mobile? Have they locked down 3G to AT&T in iPhone 4?
Apart from the carrier lock, T-Mo is on a different frequency band than what iPhone supports.

Hope this helps.
Old 17th June 2011, 06:09   #3313
Senior - BHPian

Rtandon : that information is incorrect, I know various people who are successfully using T-mobile connection on iPhone 4, Infact I might be switching to T-mobile for my wifey's iPhone 4.
Old 17th June 2011, 08:04   #3314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
Orko, why buy from official reseller with service plan? Did they offer international warranty then?
Don't mean to question the judgement but want to know the reason. just to check on my hypothesis.
And if the reason for AAPL to refuse international warranty is to "force" users to buy from local country and help local carriers then, I wonder, if that would that change with them selling unlocked phones in US.
Back in the day, one went with official resellers with service plans because one was assured of periodic check-ups and replacement of parts in case of failure. I don't remember if there was international warranty then... I doubt it. Also, the duties on importing a computer was quite steep then, if I recall correctly. It didn't make much sense to get it from abroad and risk being without a service plan. Apple Care protection started sometime in the late Nineties and, I think, international warranties came soon after that. Back then, Macs were an extremely niche purchase; Apple only made computers, no phones or iPods or anything. And it was such a small community that everyone—users, resellers and service engineers—knew each other quite well. If something went wrong, you knew exactly who to call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
OT, Are you a He Man fan?
Not really. My name in Bengali is pronounced Or-ko.
Old 17th June 2011, 08:48   #3315
BHPian

Hey Guys ,

I want to buy an Factory unlocked iPhone to use in India .
New Factory Unlocked White Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB OS 4 | eBay

Is it a good deal ? $522 for 3GS 16GB?
Any pointers to better deal . I want to buy it from US only as I won't be having a heart to shell out the money in INR

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks