Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2012, 08:15   #5326
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit
There seems to be quite a price difference between the iPhone 4 8gb and 4s 16gb (26.5k vs 38k) as compared to the 100 dollar difference for the respective unlocked phones models in the states.
Don't you guys think the iPhone 4s has some scope for a further reduction in price when the i5 is out officially?

The iphone 4 is a really good deal now,in my opinion.
The iphone 4s is already really down on price. In DXB last week, the 16 was at 2300 AED and the 32 was at 2700 AED vis a vis the 5 which was at 4350 AED and 4850AED. Three days ago they withdrew all the 4S 32GB machines from the DXB market place in order to push the I5 instead, especially to those looking for a higher capacity than16GB. The Apple Imagine store fellows in Forum Blr told me that this would be their strategy around three months back and it came true!
Even here in India the Sangeetha mobile chaps are the only ones who have some stock of 4S 32 priced at Rs 50100/- in their CMH road store. This means that the 32 GB price was never really reduced in India as much as it was abroad. Reliance is out of stock as is SOGO, Croma and E Zone and indeed I store and Imagine as well. Only 16GB machines are available at 38000 to 38500 Rs. Sangeetha does have one or two 64 GB machines at 56000Rs as does SOGO too.
Tradus.com or .in offered a 4S 32GB at a nice price last night. Around 43500. This is about 3K more than I would have paid in Dubai had I bought it last week. But it is ok. Since there is a severe short supply now, I bought it. Anyway it is significantly cheaper than the otherwise India price and moreover it seems to be completely out of the marketplace now.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 20th October 2012 at 08:18.
Old 20th October 2012, 08:29   #5327
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01
Looking forward to purchase iPhone 4 from Saholic.com
Can anybody please tell me how is the site and their delivery process.
I bought a cheap Android phone from them. i was delivered a defective piece. But couldn't get a dead on arrival from service center.

After finally 3 weeks, they agreed to pick up the defective piece without need of DOA.
They delivered the new piece in 5 days and i am posting this reply from that very phone.
Old 20th October 2012, 08:59   #5328
Team-BHP Support

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Sorry for the back to back posts. I just bought an iphone 4s 32gb online and I am expecting it over the next few days.
Can someone help guide me in moving all the data across from the Nokia N8 to the iphone?
If you have all your photos, music etc. downloaded into your computer (from the N8), you can sync those into iPhone via iTunes. I assume thats the easiest way (not sure if there are other modes as well).
Old 20th October 2012, 09:53   #5329
Senior - BHPian

Apple Has Quietly Started Tracking iPhone Users Again, And It's Tricky To Opt Out

i checked my phone and Limit Ad Tracking was off
Old 20th October 2012, 09:57   #5330
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
If you have all your photos, music etc. downloaded into your computer (from the N8), you can sync those into iPhone via iTunes. I assume thats the easiest way (not sure if there are other modes as well).
Can one not transfer the data using bluetooth?
Old 20th October 2012, 10:03   #5331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
nope. you can't connect to other phones using Bluetooth. you can connect to the PC using iTunes and your iPhone will show up in the drive list in My Computer. from there you can manually copy the files (photos).

Last edited by IronH4WK : 20th October 2012 at 10:04.
Old 20th October 2012, 10:55   #5332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i checked my phone and Limit Ad Tracking was off
Thanks for sharing this. It was Off in my phone as well

Quote:
I have not tried bluetooth transfer because I moved from a Windows phone to iPhone, and WP was quite bad with bluetooth integration. Wired connection and transfer via iTunes will be the best option for you - very similar to how you sync your iPad with laptop.
Old 20th October 2012, 12:57   #5333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
Thanks for sharing this. It was Off in my phone as well

I have not tried bluetooth transfer because I moved from a Windows phone to iPhone, and WP was quite bad with bluetooth integration. Wired connection and transfer via iTunes will be the best option for you - very similar to how you sync your iPad with laptop.
Just want to know how to transfer contacts from Nokia N8 to Iphone 4S. All else is secondary...
Old 20th October 2012, 13:11   #5334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just want to know how to transfer contacts from Nokia N8 to Iphone 4S. All else is secondary...
Sync your N8 contacts to Google Mail.
And when you change to Iphone and sync gmail, it will sync contacts too.
Old 20th October 2012, 13:15   #5335
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

What about existing contacts on googlemail?
Will those not get wiped out?
Old 20th October 2012, 13:19   #5336
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What about existing contacts on googlemail?
Will those not get wiped out?
I would say merge all together into one list.

Before you sync your N8 contacts, it would be good to export your current google contacts into a google csv file on your computer.

Then when you sync your N8 to google, unify all the contacts. You may have email of a person in one contact, while his cell phone in another.
It make sense to have one contact for one person, which would include all his details. (Name, Phone, Email office/home, Facebook, G+ Ids, residential address etc)

Last edited by ampere : 20th October 2012 at 13:23.
Old 20th October 2012, 15:33   #5337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan

Shankar Sir.
What I did was, synced my n8 contacts with windows contact and then synced iPhone to windows contact,got them all in one go.

Or if you use outlook for mails, then you can use that also.

You can try that apart from the google way.

Hope it helps
Old 20th October 2012, 15:44   #5338
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
Well, since you asked about data, I assumed its about photos, music etc.

For contacts, I believe the easiest way is to get the contacts from N8 in a .vcf format, and email it your account which you plan to setup in the iPhone. Once you get the 4S, open the email attachment, and you will see the option to save to your contacts. This is what I did to transfer contacts when my wife moved from her Nokia E72 to iPhone. Alternately you can go with the option mentioned by Ampere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere
This is now my permanent method to store contacts. I use outlook mail though (phone numbers + email addresses). Easy to switch across various platforms like iOS, WP etc.
Old 20th October 2012, 15:44   #5339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
That's the first thing I did when I upgraded to iOS 6 -- switch on the "Limit Ad Tracking" option.

Also, did you notice how conveniently and against all usability guidelines, Apple has put this one option deep down where no one can see and change easily!

Instead of the Privacy settings, they have placed it in General > About > Advertising > Limit Ad Tracking
Old 20th October 2012, 16:05   #5340
BANNED

I use this N8 phone. Apple Mac Air computer.

I have not loaded N8 backups onto the Mac.

My new iphone will land up shortly.

Im sorry about being quite stupid on these things but all I want to do is to ensure all my contacts go to the iphone.

Most Viewed