Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2019, 12:23   #11641
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Then there are some of us in the middle - iPhone in the left pocket and Android in the right.
Same here; I have the iPhone 7 as the work phone and Pixel 2 XL as the personal phone. I like both OS, but moved to Android as personal phone due to (1) it feels much more stable compared to earlier years, and (2) iPhones are insanely priced, even with a service provider plan here in Singapore, a Samsung flagship or Google Pixel provides better value at a lesser price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense
Its a myth that you need to have iTunes for everything. I never have used iTunes in the last 5 years. You need that for things you used to do a decade ago (like copying songs from PC, installing ipsw etc). Now nobody needs it.
Agreed, I have not opened iTunes for ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense
It is also untrue that iPhones depreciate fast. It holds its value well compared to Samsungs and the likes.
Absolutely true! In Singapore, Iphone still is the resale king, followed by Samsung flagships (Note 8/9, S9+). I fully moved away from other brands like LG because of this reason. The buyback price for my Pixel 2 XL is not so good, but I bought it more for the clean UI and camera.
Old 8th January 2019, 12:51   #11642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its a myth that you need to have iTunes for everything. I never have used iTunes in the last 5 years. You need that for things you used to do a decade ago (like copying songs from PC, installing ipsw etc). Now nobody needs it.

It is also untrue that iPhones depreciate fast. It holds its value well compared to Samsungs and the likes.
What do you use to transfer PDFs and MP3sto iPhone? While I am out of iPhone jail, I still have iPad and hence stuck with iTunes. Will be happy to get rid of iTunes if possible.
I sold iPhone SE64GB bought at 26k at 10k after 18 months. Doyou think it is good store of value ? A quick glance at cashify will tell you the story of iPhones holding their value. Last year's X costing 1 lakh rupees was sold by Amazon at 63k in Diwali. While they are not depreciating magnets like LGs, they are not Toyota Innova to hold their resale value YoY.

The long term updates, yes, I give Apple the credit for updating even older phones. Hence, they are perfect for users with no expectations from phones.

The stock android theme is far better than that ancient grid style iPhone theme, where each new app simply gets piled up in new pages. Even worse is there is no distinction between SE and X plus GUIs. But this is not the thread to argue about the stock guis.

Last edited by ani_meher : 8th January 2019 at 12:53.
Old 8th January 2019, 12:55   #11643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I am okay with iPhones but what I never understood in life is people buying them for almost a lac of rupees and still finding value in it!

You will need to bring in economics in this to understand. If you are trying to correlate the cost of production to the selling price, you will never be convinced, due to the availability of alternate/similar products.
However, if you bring in the Utility concept in the picture, wherein you do not have an alternate/similar product available, then the price for the user is justified.

We, the iOs users, don't find the alternate/similar product satisfying our requirement, hence the high price is acceptable.

1) A Britannia or Wibs Brown bread ( which is nothing but colour added to a regular Bread) vis-a-vis a MultiGrain bread sold by Danz Bakery in Mumbai or say Baker's Dozen's genuine Multigrain bread sold at 3 time the cost of commercial brown bread.
Both are brown breads but to each his own.

2) A Business Class ticket v/s Economy class. Both seats take you from point A to B, but in case someone else is paying for your ticket or you have unlimited resources to buy the ticket, it is obvious that the Business class will be preferred.
An economy flier who can also afford Business class, if the need be, can find a Business class ticket a waste,thinking he can sleep in an upright position on an 8 hour flight and survive on general food, but for a flier with special needs( full day meetings in London and fly back the same night), a bed and extra pampering would be essential.

Too much of nonsense from my side....back to work mode.
Old 8th January 2019, 13:11   #11644
Senior - BHPian

Value is in its dependability. I have every iteration, from 4S, 6S, 7S and now the X. Yet to face a single breakdown moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I am okay with iPhones but what I never understood in life is people buying them for almost a lac of rupees and still finding value in it!
Old 8th January 2019, 14:12   #11645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
What do you use to transfer PDFs and MP3sto iPhone? While I am out of iPhone jail, I still have iPad and hence stuck with iTunes. Will be happy to get rid of iTunes if possible.
I never have to send files in bulk from PC to phone. For that rare pdf, I use email. And I don't pirate music anymore.
Quote:
I sold iPhone SE64GB bought at 26k at 10k after 18 months. Doyou think it is good store of value ? A quick glance at cashify will tell you the story of iPhones holding their value.
Sure you got a bad deal, but that's just you. Cashify pays 10k for Galaxy S7 as well which used to cost more than 30K 18 months ago.
Quote:
Last year's X costing 1 lakh rupees was sold by Amazon at 63k in Diwali. While they are not depreciating magnets like LGs, they are not Toyota Innova to hold their resale value YoY.
Last years Galaxy S8 was going for 36K during last sale. So?
Old 8th January 2019, 15:12   #11646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I never have to send files in bulk from PC to phone. For that rare pdf, I use email. And I don't pirate music anymore.
So the reason you don't use iTunes anymore is because you don't need to send big/bulk files from PC to phone. That does not mean that iTunes is no more needed, just that some users don't have the need for connecting the phone to PC for transferring files.

Also, do you think all MP3s are pirated?

Quote:
Sure you got a bad deal, but that's just you. Cashify pays 10k for Galaxy S7 as well which used to cost more than 30K 18 months ago.

Last years Galaxy S8 was going for 36K during last sale. So?
I don't expect mobiles to appreciate, it is not an investment. However, the low depreciation argument doesn't hold true for iPhone anymore than it does for other phones.

Someone argued business class vs economy class. If in business class, you are constantly being dictated 'sir, you don't know what's good for you. We have decided your dress code, your sleep time, the whole shebang.', is it good?

And anyways, to the OP who wanted opinion, you life only once, so do try Apple phone. Who knows you may like it! But make sure to go only for at least 4.7" screens, 4" is too limiting.

Last edited by ani_meher : 8th January 2019 at 15:13.
Old 8th January 2019, 15:27   #11647
BHPian

Quote:
So the reason you don't use iTunes anymore is because you don't need to send big/bulk files from PC to phone.

Someone argued business class vs economy class. If in business class, you are constantly being dictated 'sir, you don't know what's good for you. We have decided your dress code, your sleep time, the whole shebang.', is it good?

The 'files' folder over icloud, where you can save a file from your desktop and the same is available on your phone for access.

For MP3's, there is FileApp, which can be accessed on a computer using ftp or http, wirelessly, and again, anything saved from your desktop can be seen in this app. Has its own music player, photoviewer and the works.

Documents by Readdle does similar things.

Office suite for MS docs, spreadsheet, powerpoint creation/viewing.
Loads of apps for saving external files that can be used on your iOs device.

All of them free. ( Some received free in offers that appear on apps like AppofTheDay, where paid apps are free for 24 hours to download and use free forever).

Regarding the Business class analogy, some do like things being handed over in a platter and aren't rebellious to want to go against the planned set-up.
Old 8th January 2019, 15:36   #11648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
The 'files' folder over icloud, ...
For MP3's, there is FileApp, ...
Documents by Readdle does similar things...

Regarding the Business class analogy, some do like things being handed over in a platter and aren't rebellious to want to go against the planned set-up.
Thanks for the app suggestions. The 5gb cloud storage got filled very fast by the photos, but I hear that even google drive/onedrive etc can be accessed by files app.

Will have to check FileApp. I am currently using 'on the air' something app, which connects a browser to phone/ipad as long as both PC and phone are connected to same wifi network. But the connection is always sketchy.

Tried the Documents by Readle app, but I think the latest iOs's files app more or less does all the work done by Documents, so no need for external app.

I have no qualms against the business class analogy, and respect people who are willing to accept terms and conditions. I just presented my view in hope that it may help others to take informed decisions.

EDIT:Seems the Documents app is more powerful than Files, will check it out on iPad. Thanks for the headsup.

Last edited by ani_meher : 8th January 2019 at 15:41.
Old 8th January 2019, 15:51   #11649
BHPian

Quote:
So the reason you don't use iTunes anymore is because you don't need to send big/bulk files from PC to phone. That does not mean that iTunes is no more needed, just that some users don't have the need for connecting the phone to PC for transferring files.
Actually, hardly anybody uses iTunes these days for transferring files. You may have some special use case or you are not staying with the times.
Quote:
Mostly yes. If you are still buying CDs and ripping, you are not being efficient. Try Apple/Amazon Music
Quote:
I don't expect mobiles to appreciate, it is not an investment. However, the low depreciation argument doesn't hold true for iPhone anymore than it does for other phones.
Its all relative. It is a fact that iPhone holds its value better than any Android phone out there. Yeah, it does not appreciate. Nobody claims that.
Quote:
I did not want to bring this aspect to the discussion, but heck let me. Search for the pic of the first Android phone (G1). That was supposedly Google's answer to the iPhone. It supposedly had stuff that iPhone didn't have. Like physical buttons, a trackball, user-replaceable battery, a sd card slot, and many more. But over the years they dropped them all, but not before making fun of Apple for omitting "essential" features.

More recently Apple put a notch on the screen, Android fans made fun of Apple and then Android phones also started sporting notches. Then they started comparing notch sizes. Apple dropped the 3.5mm jack, Android fans went berserk and guess what - even Google followed suit.

Android started as an open source project. Then they started moving stuff from the OS to Play Services (not open source). They dropped all stock open source apps one by one replaced them with Google apps (not open source).

Apple spends time and money into research to find out what is best for the phones. Most of the times they turn out right. Android manufacturers either copy or keep throwing things at the wall (experiment stuff) to see what sticks.

So when Apple says that they know what is good for the consumers, more often than not, they are right.
Old 8th January 2019, 20:41   #11650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Mostly yes. If you are still buying CDs and ripping, you are not being efficient. Try Apple/Amazon Music

Its all relative. It is a fact that iPhone holds its value better than any Android phone out there. Yeah, it does not appreciate. Nobody claims that.

So when Apple says that they know what is good for the consumers, more often than not, they are right.

It's not a question of efficiency, it is of convenience. I don't want to search names of all my collection one by one in Prime music. Besides, if mp3s are piracy, Apple is one of the biggest culprit for their popularity (remember ipod?) This line of answering is so typical in iOS posts (not here thankfully)- "why do you want to do something the way you have been doing for years? Here's an Apple dictated way, you must like it."

Even after seeing examples of depreciation, you keep saying that resale is great, then it is your opinion. It doesn't make it a fact.

This is the same company that decided it was better to slow down phones with old battery, and faced class action lawsuit. I am not willing to put any company on a a pedestal because they have been great in past. It took a decade to come up with a dual sim phone for them, when even thousand rupee china phones could handle dual sim for years. Steve Jobs was a visionary, no denying. But his glory can no longer be assumed for next heads of Apple, the will have to prove their mettle.
Old 8th January 2019, 23:19   #11651
BHPian

Quote:
It took a decade to come up with a dual sim phone for them, when even thousand rupee china phones could handle dual sim for years. Steve Jobs was a visionary, no denying. But his glory can no longer be assumed for next heads of Apple, the will have to prove their mettle.
Don't you think this is where Apple really focuses and does it right at the end?
I mean sure, they could add 100s of features Android or chinese cheap phones have to offer but then it'll make Apple as useless as others who provide these features.
You may complain it took Apple a decade for dual-sim but don't you think when they did it they did it hard on right?

Having two physical dual sim is cool and all but how about an e-sim? That's actually the deal of the future. You can add multiple sims and use any of them as per your needs with just a touch of the finger, doesn't it make more sense?
I'm pretty sure all the other Android OEM's would be quick to follow it up.

When they came up with FaceID people laughed that an Android could do it for ages, sure it did, but, that tech of scanning just your face by a camera app can easily be fooled and the OEM's themselves do not allow any kind of purchases or payments from it and instead warns you from using them, while Apple with FaceID since it's launch has touted it's Apple Pay and purchases capabilities.

I used to be an Android developer and I had nothing but bad things to say about Apple and their eco-system/restrictions. But as I aged I started to realize I need something that works for me, not something I need to work for. That is when I made the switch and I cannot be more happier. Apple for me just cuts it perfectly and maybe for many more like me who just wants to get things done.

Apple is not perfect, no company in this world is, every consumer is different and has different needs, but Apple sure have a good eye for their customers and innovation compared to others.
Old 9th January 2019, 00:14   #11652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
I'm pretty sure all the other Android OEM's would be quick to follow it up.
Isn't pixel 2 had eSIM before it came in iPhones? And isn't Samsung had eSIM in one of its smart watch before it was introduced in apple watch?
Old 9th January 2019, 00:39   #11653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
Isn't pixel 2 had eSIM before it came in iPhones? And isn't Samsung had eSIM in one of its smart watch before it was introduced in apple watch?
Last I know pixel 2’s eSIM was not supported in India. Not sure but I guess even as of now after the release of pixel 3 the e-SIM has support in very few countries, fortunately it does in India.
e-SIM supported galaxy watches were launched very recently in India following suit of the cellular Apple watch series 3 which came in 2017.

Moreover the point is not to do it first, the point is to get it done right. Apple with series 4 watch have come out with ECG, although heavily advertised on launch and announcement, it is only available in the US even after months of release. Sure they have regulatory issues and all but if they announced it they’d better have figured out everything first. If they do it, better do it properly than half baked.

Last edited by Ruchir031 : 9th January 2019 at 00:43.
Old 9th January 2019, 07:04   #11654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
Last I know pixel 2’s eSIM was not supported in India. Not sure but I guess even as of now after the release of pixel 3 the e-SIM has support in very few countries, fortunately it does in India.
e-SIM supported galaxy watches were launched very recently in India following suit of the cellular Apple watch series 3 which came in 2017.

Moreover the point is not to do it first, the point is to get it done right. Apple with series 4 watch have come out with ECG, although heavily advertised on launch and announcement, it is only available in the US even after months of release. Sure they have regulatory issues and all but if they announced it they’d better have figured out everything first. If they do it, better do it properly than half baked.
I'm not sure how does it matter if pixel 2 doesn't support esim in India or in a particular country? It was used by Google for their projectfi service in US. If you think in that way, even apple pay is not supported in India, but Samsung pay(that even with MST) is. Is that mean apple pay is half naked?

BTW Samsung launched galaxy watch in 2016 itself with esim before apple started copying like how they copied big screen ideas from Samsung or Dell.

Anyways this discussion is never ending one and i never wanted to reply in this thread though I was a iphone and ipad user. Only reason i quoted your post is, your post tone intended that apple introduced eSIM which is not correct.

For the OP who wants opinion on buying iphone, if all your requirements are like normal user(making phone, WhatsApp, music, camera) then you can go ahead. If you need anything little advanced like a regular smartphone expected to work, better stay in android. Personally i needed few features like connection to home NAS for backup of photos, automatic mobile hotspot when i start my car which are never possible in ios device.

I'm sure apple will take couple of years to introduce these small small features and give chance to ios users to boast that apple gives updates for five years
Old 10th January 2019, 09:28   #11655
Distinguished - BHPian

08th December last year I enrolled for the battery replacement for my iphone and paid the 2K. I was told the battery would arrive in a week or 10 days. it's been 33 days since and till now I've not got a call from the iplanet service centre (Jayanagara, Bengaluru) about when the battery will actually arrive and be replaced. I called them up last week and they repeated the same "stock not yet arrived" sentence. Any others here who are facing this issue with shortage of battery supply?

Most Viewed