Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2022, 19:38   #14716
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Is there a way to disable “swipe left on iphone Lock Screen to access camera” feature, WITHOUT disabling camera app itself from the device?

Most times i fish my iphone out of my pocket and find camera app is on!!

Argghhhh.
Old 19th June 2022, 01:02   #14717
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Is there a way to disable “swipe left on iphone Lock Screen to access camera” feature, WITHOUT disabling camera app itself from the device?
There doesn't appear to be one.

An alternative would be to disable raise/tap to wake options for the iPhone display?

It would mean you can only wake it explicitly via the power button, but should cut down on most accidental screen wakes/taps.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 01:39   #14718
Distinguished - BHPian

Another irritant in the ones with the Face ID is that if you just take out your phone to check the time or any missed notifications, the phone gets unlocked automatically; which you may not intend to do every time. I need to lock it again by the power button before slipping it back into the pocket.
Old 19th June 2022, 07:10   #14719
Team-BHP Support

Guys, did you see the updates coming in for iOS 16 update? Check it out!

https://www.apple.com/in/ios/ios-16-preview/

Comes Sep 22.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 11:25   #14720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Guys, did you see the updates coming in for iOS 16 update? Check it out!
Strange that the list of compatible devices starts with the iPhone SE 2 and iPhone 8.
iOS 15 was compatible with all models from the 6s onwards. I was expecting iOS 16 to be compatible with all models from iPhone 7 onwards.

Does this indicate that Apple is moving towards a shorter product lifecycle wrt OS compatibility?
Old 19th June 2022, 12:02   #14721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan nhu mare? View Post
Does this indicate that Apple is moving towards a shorter product lifecycle wrt OS compatibility?
Seems it may be due to the fact that the iPhone 7 may not have have the processing power to handle iOS 16 updates. The article below explains this.

https://www.cnbctv18.com/technology/...y-13813502.htm

Cheers
Old 19th June 2022, 12:43   #14722
BHPian

Quote:
Strange that the list of compatible devices starts with the iPhone SE 2 and iPhone 8.
iOS 15 was compatible with all models from the 6s onwards. I was expecting iOS 16 to be compatible with all models from iPhone 7 onwards.

Iphone 6s got an additional year than what was promised (or what was the norm). With iOS 15, the iphone 7 already received 5 years of updates. So nothing wrong here.
civic-sense is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 13:19   #14723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Another irritant in the ones with the Face ID is that if you just take out your phone to check the time or any missed notifications, the phone gets unlocked automatically; which you may not intend to do every time. I need to lock it again by the power button before slipping it back into the pocket.
Hold your iPhone at an angle and it won't unlock the phone. The front camera needs to see your eyes and the face profile to work out that it is the rightful owner. You will be surprised to know that it has to calculate more than 1000 parameters and its CPU's neural engine does that in a few milliseconds.

For the morbid (not for the faint hearted): The previous generation iPhones with finger print sensor will not know if the owner is alive. But the current Face identification is so 'smart' (it uses 16 Core Neural Engine which does 11 trillion operations per second) that it will not recognize if the person is asleep or dead.
Prowler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 00:22   #14724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

For the morbid (not for the faint hearted): the current Face identification is so 'smart' (it uses 16 Core Neural Engine which does 11 trillion operations per second) that it will not recognize if the person is asleep or dead.
This is partially correct, if ‘require attention for Face ID’ is turned off in settings it will unlock even with eyes closed/looking away from the sensor. If turned on, it won’t unlock if both eyes are closed, can still unlock with one eye held open so even on a dead body, the thief can hold one eye lid open and it’ll work.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 19:45   #14725
BHPian

Quote:
I was expecting iOS 16 to be compatible with all models from iPhone 7 onwards.

I suspect that it is due to the lower RAM in the iPhone 7 (just 2 gigs). Although not sure why they dropped 7 Plus with it too.
Old 25th June 2022, 17:35   #14726
BHPian

I do not know, if this is the right thread to be asking this, but I am about to be purchasing my first iPhone, which is the iPhone 12 (128 gb). I couldn't find much of a difference between this and the 13, am I right in thinking so? And the little difference they do have, the nearly 8 k premium didn't seem to warrant the jump.
I am getting the phone for about 57k from Unicorn.com, while the 13 is north of 65k.
Am I getting a good deal? And are there any genuinely major differences between the 13 and the 12.

Regards,
Siddharth Kapila.
Old 25th June 2022, 18:11   #14727
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid__kaps View Post
And are there any genuinely major differences between the 13 and the 12.
The 13 gets the A15 chip and newer CPUs vs. the 12's A14 chip. If the difference is only 8k (between the 12 and 13 128GB) versions, get the 13. Only, is subjective. But if that's the difference, I'd go with the latest gen.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 18:38   #14728
BHPian

Quote:
I do not know, if this is the right thread to be asking this, but I am about to be purchasing my first iPhone, which is the iPhone 12 (128 gb). I couldn't find much of a difference between this and the 13, am I right in thinking so? And the little difference they do have, the nearly 8 k premium didn't seem to warrant the jump.
I am getting the phone for about 57k from Unicorn.com, while the 13 is north of 65k.
Am I getting a good deal? And are there any genuinely major differences between the 13 and the 12.

Regards,
Siddharth Kapila.
Yes there are fundamental differences between the non pro 12 and 13 iPhones, the biggest being the screen brightness of 600 nits vs 800 nits on the 13, makes a substantial difference in bright outdoor use, hold them side by side in a store and you’ll see. Second is the A15 chip which is faster than the 2020 A14 by a good 20%.

The cameras are also improved as the 13 gets 12 pro maxes’ wide and ultra wide lenses that let in more light than the non pro 12 lenses do.

Larger battery with more screen on time between charges + sensor shift OIS on the wide lens + other minor changes I can’t recall at the moment.

Last edited by AJ56 : 25th June 2022 at 18:40.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 11:21   #14729
BANNED

Quote:
I do not know, if this is the right thread to be asking this, but I am about to be purchasing my first iPhone, which is the iPhone 12 (128 gb).
Dear iUsers (is that a term?), I rather my wife is in similar boat. So, after holding up to her OP6 for 4 complete years without a snitch or scratch, she has got bored. We have rather disappointing experience with current gen OPs, so I am thinking to make her transitioned to iPhone.
I ideally prefer the last generation model for flagships, as even though not exactly 80:20, but they follow similar pattern in usability vs cost. That means I am looking at a good deal in iPhone 12, 128GB version.

I have few doubts if some kind heart prefers to answer.
  • I know iPhone12s won't prefer to be repaired, but looking at the audaciously priced care pack, which even after opting might cost 9K service charge for repair; I really want to know the practicality of such add on, if someone uses an armored case and a bit careful.
  • Can I charge it with existing OP / Samsung fast charger brick with adequate speed? I do have an older iPad lightening charger, but that is a slow charger one.
  • If she needs to transfer her entire Whatsapp history to iPhone, how she can do it? Whatsapp chat history availability in new device is a make or break deal for her, period.
  • Can I uninstall few of apple' preloaded app which are not significant to her usage?
  • She needs a lot of space, currently she is subscribed to g-cloud plan to store her photos and data. Will it advisable to go for 256GB or going for a i-cloud subscription, in terms of ease of use and of-course economically, considering at-least 3-4 years of usage?
I might come up with more questions? Thank you all for your help in advance and sorry for the noob questions at the same time.
Old 27th June 2022, 12:11   #14730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Dear iUsers (is that a term?), I rather my wife is in similar boat. So, after holding up to her OP6 for 4 complete years without a snitch or scratch, she has got bored. We have rather disappointing experience with current gen OPs, so I am thinking to make her transitioned to iPhone.
I was in same boat few months ago for my wife. She had OP7. Got my wife, iPhone 12 mini and I am using iPhone 12.
Will try and answer your queries:
1. I don't find it much useful. I am iPhone user since iPhone 5 but never got any issue apart from slow downs and upgrades due to performance needs.
2. Old OP chargers are not PD compatible. I couldn't use our OP 7 charger. New chargers support PD protocol. Samsung normally supports PD, so yes.
3. in last few days, whatsapp has released the support for transferring history from android to iPhone. check the articles on google.
https://faq.whatsapp.com/general/cha...phone/?lang=en

4. yes
5. me and my wife, each has 150gb of pics and videos. we have 128gb capacity iPhones. There is feature in icloud which keeps low resolution (optimised) pics on iPhone and full resolution in icloud. This removes any need for higher capacity iPhone. I was also in dilemma between gcloud and icloud but chose the ecosystem. you can always subscribe to gcloud in case you again shift back to android in future and transfer your photos and videos quickly.

we are subscribed to 200gb plan each. which is working good for now.

Last edited by Nicky : 27th June 2022 at 12:15.
Nicky is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks