Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2015, 12:55   #3301
Team-BHP Support

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
I am confused as I cannot use and try each map before I begin my journey coming week..
Download Here maps. India map will be big, because India is a big country. No getting around that. The coverage is excellent, and interface rocking. There are still some quirks, its not as smooth as it was originally built for Lumia (Windows platform), but still, much better than other offline solutions

If you want OSM based solution(coverage is less, except in cities and highways), OSMAND is good, and I have used it in multiple countries in the world.
Old 19th March 2015, 10:22   #3302
Senior - BHPian

Was just checking Google Maps for some route info when I see this

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1426740693.573426.jpg

Google Maps now shows road repair work also as part of route details. As far as I know , this repair work / map update was there 3 weeks back

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1426740767.725396.jpg

This has been there since some time , but seeing this for the first time.

http://www.fastcompany.com/3016050/f...-road-closures

May not be very accurate on our roads , still a good to have feature

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1426741655.336211.jpg

These updates weren't there when I drove to Mumbai about a month back

Last edited by Eddy : 19th March 2015 at 10:42. Reason: Merged
Old 19th March 2015, 17:00   #3303
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Urgent help needed. Can anyone of you let me know the best iPhone offline navigation for USA? I need to buy the same based on your inputs. Casual browsing suggests the following: 1. Roadmate (Magellan). 2. TomTom 3. Navigon 4. Sygic. The price various from 1,850 to 4100. Which one is the best or prefer to have?

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th March 2015, 17:41   #3304
BHPian

I tried using the Map My India device my FIL has on his Vento for navigation. It sucked.

I then tried using my iPad mini with Retina Display for navigation, with Google Maps. It was bloody brilliant!

Only grouse was the fact that I needed 3G on my iPad constantly, and that sucked a lot of battery, especially with the screen on all the time. Plus, it heats up the iPad a lot!

I'm honestly tired of looking at fancy high end audio setups with 2 DIN systems with navigation and reversing cameras. I want something along the lines of an iPad/tablet that can integrate into the dashboard, and it should double up as a reversing camera as well.

Too much to ask, you think?
Old 19th March 2015, 19:10   #3305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Urgent help needed. Can anyone of you let me know the best iPhone offline navigation for USA? I need to buy the same based on your inputs. Casual browsing suggests the following: 1. Roadmate (Magellan). 2. TomTom 3. Navigon 4. Sygic. The price various from 1,850 to 4100. Which one is the best or prefer to have?

Thanks in advance.
Tomtom Map data is best for USA but i found it bit lack luster for my use.
Sygic interface is easy to use and uses tomtom maps.
Old 19th March 2015, 20:16   #3306
BHPian

Here navigation was recently made available for Iphone too. I am not sure i f it supports offline maps download but Here on nokia supports offline maps. Will check with a friend and get back...
Old 20th March 2015, 12:37   #3307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Tomtom Map data is best for USA but i found it bit lack luster for my use.
Sygic interface is easy to use and uses tomtom maps.
Thanks Nicky. So, if Sygic is cheaper than TomTom, you would be ok with buying Sygic? I downloaded the trial version of Sygic after your post. I must say its very nice.
Old 20th March 2015, 18:18   #3308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Thanks Nicky. So, if Sygic is cheaper than TomTom, you would be ok with buying Sygic? I downloaded the trial version of Sygic after your post. I must say its very nice.
Yes. Useability and Maps coverage are 2 most important aspects for me in navigation apps.
Old 31st March 2015, 13:31   #3309
BHPian

Since I am going to undertake quite a few self drives in the coming months, thinking of investing in a SatNav - which is the most popular one around?

The threads here suggest Garmin Nuvi 50LM, but how is the Nuvi 2568LM? Any other suggestions? How is TomTom?
Old 31st March 2015, 14:42   #3310
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
The threads here suggest Garmin Nuvi 50LM, but how is the Nuvi 2568LM? Any other suggestions? How is TomTom?
Garmin have the best hardware, while many rate MMI software as better. The 2568 is higher ond than the 50LM. Both come with free lifetime maps (ie free upgrades). Of course if you go MMI for maps then you have to pay for the card and upgrades. I will frankly look at Garmin & MMI.
Old 31st March 2015, 14:47   #3311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Garmin have the best hardware, while many rate MMI software as better. The 2568 is higher ond than the 50LM. Both come with free lifetime maps (ie free upgrades). Of course if you go MMI for maps then you have to pay for the card and upgrades. I will frankly look at Garmin & MMI.
Thanks, unlike MMI, Garmin will also come in handy abroad too, so thats a big plus.

The 65LM is supposedly a new version of 50LM. 2568LM has some more features like Trip Log, a smartphone app, fuel consumption log etc - need to see how much value that adds for 2-3K more.

The Garmin website lists 2567LM as 'NEW' while globally 2568LM seems to be the newer model.. quite confusing.

http://www.garmin.co.in/products/ontheroad/
Old 4th April 2015, 21:12   #3312
Team-BHP Support

The trip log works well only in case you know how to install the map on your pc. Given that as an assumption the 24xx series is the most basic that would provide you a trip log. Also note, if you plan to go with mmi then LMT versions do not make sense. Look for 24/25 series as they are the older versions and hence they might be cheaper in Amazon. Again note if you buy an LMT version in Amazon US then Garmin may not qualify you for Indian map upgrade eligibility.

Last edited by ampere : 4th April 2015 at 21:15.
Old 14th April 2015, 10:47   #3313
BHPian

Searching for optimal placement of navigation screen

Hello,
A forthcoming road trip to the Himalayas has got me thinking about temporarily implanting a Navigation device in my car (a Ford Figo). With a Nokia Lumia 730 and a Moto E at my disposal I started my experiment by buying a cheap mobile holder. But to my utter dismay, I am yet to find a perfect spot on my windscreen to fix the same. Place it low near the dash and i miss the odd pothole, place it in the middle and I miss a cyclist. Place it high up and I need to take my eye off the road to see it and the charging wire dangling around is proving to be a nuisance. Place it to my right near the pillar and I get tickled by the charging cable over my lap. Place it to the extreme left and I can barely see whats going onscreen. I am actually finding the device on my windscreen to be an irritant and too obtrusive. Yes, I am not habituated with using a navigation device and given time, I might get used to it. But for now, it's just too much of a distraction. But at the same time, it is indispensable for some parts of the trip.
So where do you travelers find the best spot for your SATNAV screens? Please do enlighten.

Thanks

Last edited by mi2n : 14th April 2015 at 10:48.
Old 14th April 2015, 10:58   #3314
Senior - BHPian

Re: Searching for optimal placement of navigation screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Hello,

So where do you travelers find the best spot for your SATNAV screens? Please do enlighten.

Thanks
Dear mi2N

Why dont you invest in a good dash mount holder and place it near the speedo.

Refer to the image:
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-garmindashmount.jpg
Old 14th April 2015, 15:13   #3315
Distinguished - BHPian

That mount looks as if it is custom-made for the car. What is it?

This is what I do.

The mount is just big enough for my Fonepad 7-inch, but also just small enough for my Defy+

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-gpstab1.jpg

Here's the tablet attached

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-gpstab2.jpg

This is the view from eye position

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-gpstab3.jpg

I have always thought that the Polo's RVM is mounted too low anyway. You can see that there is only a small space between the tab and the mirror. I would like to get the tab lower, but it will interfere with ventilation.

So far I've only actually used it once. Just a small bite of the pudding, so it is not proven yet!

~

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks