Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 17:19   #2566
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Getting a deal of 39k for hitachi 1.2 ton i-clean ac, and 37k for similar one without i-clean. Might get the 37k one tomorrow since everyone I spoke with had only good things to say about Hitachi ac. Service centre is also close-by.

Any particular disadvantages with Hitachi?
@Crazy Driver

My bed room is 10 X 10, with a west facing wall and an open terrace.Used to have a 1 ton O'General earlier, but had trouble cooling the room, so got a Hitachi Ace followme 1.5 ton AC installed in the room. Its cooling performace is good, but one issue i find is it is noisy. When you set the fan at its lowest setting it does not give out much noise, but when you use the second and third setting it howls. I had trouble adjusting to the noise at first, but later I got used to it. Better check this out before going for Hitachi (I am not trying to generalise, but this is from my personal experience).
As for the service, my unit is serviced by Indiaman Airconditioners, who are very professional. Except for once,when they come for service, they thorougly check the indoor and outdoor units, wet clean them, check the voltage at the socket and get feedback before leaving.

Why don't you check out Daikin 1.5 ton models, my neighbour has one , its cooling performance is good and will cost more or less the same.

Hope this helps.
Old 2nd May 2012, 19:14   #2567
BHPian

I have a 1ton whirlpool AC lying in a corner for like 2yrs or so. I shifted to the new place and since then its lying there, covered thought, but exposed to dust only.

How much should the cost be of setting it up again?

The pipes look like worn out when it was uninstalled. The gas was filled before removal, not sure if its still there or not.
Old 3rd May 2012, 16:47   #2568
Senior - BHPian

Is there any Cabin Filter in home/office AC (air conditioner)?

We own Whirlpool Aviator-V 1.5 Ton 5 Star Split AC.
I want to know is there any Cabin Filter for Home ACs.
If yes, how to clean the same if possible?
If replacement is the only option, how much would it cost- Part Cost + Labour?

The AC was purchased and installed in May 2010.

EDIT: -
Also please tell me is there any Cabin Filter in Window AC?
The Brand is Voltas, purchased in late 80s (@1988-89).

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 3rd May 2012 at 16:50.
Old 3rd May 2012, 17:21   #2569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
I have a 1ton whirlpool AC lying in a corner for like 2yrs or so. I shifted to the new place and since then its lying there, covered thought, but exposed to dust only.

How much should the cost be of setting it up again?

The pipes look like worn out when it was uninstalled. The gas was filled before removal, not sure if its still there or not.
From what you describe, you will need
- Fresh Gas
- Most probably new pipes
- Labour and hardware to fix the IDU & ODU

On the whole it should costs between 2K-4K for the whole job.
Old 3rd May 2012, 19:04   #2570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
From what you describe, you will need
- Fresh Gas
- Most probably new pipes
- Labour and hardware to fix the IDU & ODU

On the whole it should costs between 2K-4K for the whole job.
Thanks for the info Aroy. Thanks button is missing for some reason.
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:00   #2571
BHPian

Panasonic AC range in India isn't that great. It works brilliantly for the first 6 months after which it requires maintenance every 3 months. Has a tendency to get clogged because of which the air throw is affected. LG and Samsung aren't good AC brands - be it efficiency, technology or life of the product. They sell because of huge advertisement budgets of Korean companies. Our very own Voltas is amongst the best around. Yes, difficult to believe but true. I was against it when my dad had first chosen it over Hitachi but I'm surprised at the quality. We have 4 of them which chill superbly and are backed by satisfactory service and AMC contracts which won't burn a hole in your pockets. The only thing it lacks is brand image. If you want a name too, O'General, Diakin, Toshiba and Hitachi are the best brands around although I have no first hand experience of any of them.
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:37   #2572
BHPian

Hi All,

I purchased window Hitachi 1.0 Ton last year, its makes so much of noise. Have checked the padding still no use. Its mostly the sound of compressor. On the other hand Voltas 1.5 Ton running super silent from last 4 years.

Could other Hitachi ownes verfiy the same, on the noise issue.

BR

Amit
Old 4th May 2012, 08:20   #2573
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
Thats a nice deal. Can you post your review after the installation?

We have a 6yr old 1.5 ton LG AC. No problem with it except the huge power bills we are paying every motnh. Planning to go for a more efficient one. Not able to decide whether to go for Hitachi i-Clean or LG Inverter AC.

Which is the beter one to go for? Our main concern is the power bills which are shooting up.
Sorry for the delay in replying. Was tied up with preparing a small review for my new Punto.

Bought the unit last thursday. Installation was done on friday morning. Promptly received a call from Hitachi at around 9am in the morning asking for a suitable time. I asked them to visit before afternoon.

The technicians seemed to be very confident about what they were doing. They also sealed the hole in the wall (Where they route the wiring out) with white cement after the installation work, filled all paper work for warranty, explained all ac features etc.

I live on the top floor of an apartment in Chennai - two walls facing outwards. Thought of going for a 1.5 Ton at first, but settled for the iclean 1.2. And its doing a very good job as of now. I have been setting it around 27 - and its quickly bringing the room temperature to that range. Due to some health issues - we can't have set the ac at low temperatures- so can't comment on how cool it gets. Daikin feature is also good - you can set it at 23 before sleeping and it will gradually increase it to 27 - with a one degree increase every one hour.

It is a bit noisy though at high fan speeds- though I don't feel its a problem at night. There is a super-silent mode available though, which controls the fan speeds at make it very silent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
But will that deter you or others from buying a Hitachi? A big no I guess!
Sorry for the late reply. I had already got it already the previous day. Missed to visit this thread for a few days after the installation.

Service center seems to be near to my home. I hope they dont disappoint. Fingers crossed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
@Crazy Driver

My bed room is 10 X 10, with a west facing wall and an open terrace.Used to have a 1 ton O'General earlier, but had trouble cooling the room, so got a Hitachi Ace followme 1.5 ton AC installed in the room. Its cooling performace is good, but one issue i find is it is noisy. When you set the fan at its lowest setting it does not give out much noise, but when you use the second and third setting it howls. I had trouble adjusting to the noise at first, but later I got used to it. Better check this out before going for Hitachi (I am not trying to generalise, but this is from my personal experience).
As for the service, my unit is serviced by Indiaman Airconditioners, who are very professional. Except for once,when they come for service, they thorougly check the indoor and outdoor units, wet clean them, check the voltage at the socket and get feedback before leaving.

Why don't you check out Daikin 1.5 ton models, my neighbour has one , its cooling performance is good and will cost more or less the same.

Hope this helps.
Sorry for the late reply. I had already bought the 1.2 iclean last week, but missed to update this thread after the installation. You are right - its a bit noisy - but hasn't been a problem till now.

So, after the free services are over - there is no more service required? Or do we need to call them (paid) to check the unit once in a year or so? The technicians who came for installation were sure that it doesn't need any service after 1 year free service is over!
Old 4th May 2012, 11:53   #2574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Thanks for the info Aroy. Thanks button is missing for some reason.
Thanks button is not available in Shifting Gears forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Pallavi; See post 2559 above. 5* just says EER 3.3 and above. A good inverter model should run rings round a non-inverter model. LG should be good, but Hitachi is a premium label. Also, take a look at Daikin, General and (maybe) Panasonic. These three are supposed to be the kings of the split world.

Since you are not on the coast condenser construction (aluminium or Copper) should not really matter for you.
Thanks for the pointers. Will definitely go for inverter model.

I have received average feedback about the noise and cooling of Hitachi ACs. I will check other brands too.

Last edited by Pallavi : 4th May 2012 at 11:59.
Old 4th May 2012, 12:51   #2575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Hi All,

I purchased window Hitachi 1.0 Ton last year, its makes so much of noise. Have checked the padding still no use. Its mostly the sound of compressor. On the other hand Voltas 1.5 Ton running super silent from last 4 years.

Could other Hitachi ownes verfiy the same, on the noise issue.

BR

Amit
In my Hitachi window AC, there was a small piece of wood that was kept under the compressor so that there is no damage when it is transported from the factory.
The same piece of wood was not removed when installed and was creating some noise. I called the folks the next day and they promptly removed the same.
Do check whether that is the issue with your AC too.
Old 4th May 2012, 12:56   #2576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
In my Hitachi window AC, there was a small piece of wood that was kept under the compressor so that there is no damage when it is transported from the factory.
The same piece of wood was not removed when installed and was creating some noise. I called the folks the next day and they promptly removed the same.
Do check whether that is the issue with your AC too.
Many thanks buddy for the suggestion. Else is your Hitachi silent, when compared to other window AC's
Old 4th May 2012, 12:58   #2577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Many thanks buddy for the suggestion. Else is your Hitachi silent, when compared to other window AC's
We have a Voltas Window in another room and Hitachi is much silent compared to it. Do note that my Hitach is approx a couple of years old and the Voltas about 6 yrs, hence the comparison may not be apples to apples.

One thing though, my Hitachi window AC has got a little noisier now compared to when it was installed.

Last edited by f1fan : 4th May 2012 at 12:59.
Old 4th May 2012, 13:52   #2578
BHPian

@pallavi: Thanks for the info.

To add to this thread, I have a .8 ton voltas Window AC installed in a 10x12 room few years back. It a basic one without the advanced air-filters that come in the latest models which are available today.

Nevertheless, it does the job WELL in (north india) summers. I feel its the perfect AC for a bedroom that size.
Old 4th May 2012, 14:18   #2579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Daikin feature is also good - you can set it at 23 before sleeping and it will gradually increase it to 27 - with a one degree increase every one hour.
This feature is called Kaimin by Hitachi.
Old 4th May 2012, 14:26   #2580
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
This feature is called Kaimin by Hitachi.
Ooops! Yes. Its kaimin, which I think means pleasant sleep. Dont know how Daikin ended up in that post of mine.

Most Viewed