Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2012, 14:11   #2596
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Actually your older non inverter unit would have a duty cycle of 50%, so total consumption would be nearer to 10*3*.5=15 units rather than 30 units.
Actually, my older non-inverter type never attained the designated temperature (my room is on the top floor and the heat load is high) so the compressor never used to cut off in peak summers i.e April/ May/ June and some parts of July. So Those 3 units what I have calculated is also on the lower side)
Old 11th May 2012, 17:34   #2597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Theoretically my electricity bill for the month should reduce to half, but then lets see what happens when the bill arrives.
Indeed, I am eagerly waiting for the result of this 'study'!
It should offer a good insight into the savings possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Actually your older non inverter unit would have a duty cycle of 50%, ....
No way!
Duty cycle of 50% indicates a well proportioned plant, which this was not!
Most of our home ACs are under-rated and end up doing duty cycles of 80% to a hundred percent on the bad days!
Old 11th May 2012, 18:42   #2598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Hi All,

I purchased window Hitachi 1.0 Ton last year, its makes so much of noise. Have checked the padding still no use. Its mostly the sound of compressor.
BR

Amit
Hi Amit,

I have a Hitachi 1.5 T QC 5 Star. I also faced similar issues when the wet service was done 2 weeks back after kicking Hitachi customer care like (for which I have provided another review on 10th May that why someone need to avoid Hitachi for the pathetic after-sales services).

Anyways, first I thought it is some sparking (electrical work in my rented apartment is pathetic) or voltage fluctuations which is common in Gurgaon. But I realized nothing else is showing a real sign of that.

First, I replaced the round shaped power plug and got a new one to exclude chances of sparking.

Next I checked the way AC unit, which is sort of a cartridge, is placed inside the outside metal cover which is fixed on the window/wall. You might have seen that service guys pull the inner main unit from the outside cover and after service/cleaning is done, they push it back in that. What they do not normally check is that whether it is properly placed on the cover or not.

Now this is what I found.

I realized that compressor coils were touching the outer metal cover at few places. See here:

Using a screw-drive, I aligned the internal unit:

and used a screw to keep it there:

Finally I put some rubber pads where the internal body sits on outer metal cover (which is mounted on the wall/window and stays there permanently). Simple rule, when two metal parts are sitting on one another, if one shakes (when Compressor cut-off due to thermostat, it create a jerk. That is enough to make 2 metal body parts sing a song):

And bingo, no more irritating noise from my AC anymore. Earlier I used to be concerned that so much of fluctuating noises from the compressor may damage it permanently. Now I have a peaceful sleep

Good luck and let me know if description is not clear or you can't make anything out from the picture I have attached.

Regards,
Dharmesh
Old 11th May 2012, 20:43   #2599
BHPian

One fellow BHPian (Pallavi) reported to me that pics are missing in my response whereas I am able to see all 4 pics in above post that I provided as a response to amitpunjani's Hitachi worries (AC making noise due to compressor). Just want to confirm that others are able to see the photos, if not then I will upload them again. Someone please confirm this for me.
Old 11th May 2012, 20:44   #2600
Senior - BHPian

Dharmesh, the pictures have not got attached.
Old 11th May 2012, 21:45   #2601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmeshmahajan View Post
Hi Amit,

I have a Hitachi 1.5 T QC 5 Star. I also faced similar issues when the wet service was done 2 weeks back after kicking Hitachi customer care like (for which I have provided another review on 10th May that why someone need to avoid Hitachi for the pathetic after-sales services).

Anyways, first I thought it is some sparking (electrical work in my rented apartment is pathetic) or voltage fluctuations which is common in Gurgaon. But I realized nothing else is showing a real sign of that.

First, I replaced the round shaped power plug and got a new one to exclude chances of sparking.

Next I checked the way AC unit, which is sort of a cartridge, is placed inside the outside metal cover which is fixed on the window/wall. You might have seen that service guys pull the inner main unit from the outside cover and after service/cleaning is done, they push it back in that. What they do not normally check is that whether it is properly placed on the cover or not.

Now this is what I found.

I realized that compressor coils were touching the outer metal cover at few places. See here:

Using a screw-drive, I aligned the internal unit:

and used a screw to keep it there:

Finally I put some rubber pads where the internal body sits on outer metal cover (which is mounted on the wall/window and stays there permanently). Simple rule, when two metal parts are sitting on one another, if one shakes (when Compressor cut-off due to thermostat, it create a jerk. That is enough to make 2 metal body parts sing a song):

And bingo, no more irritating noise from my AC anymore. Earlier I used to be concerned that so much of fluctuating noises from the compressor may damage it permanently. Now I have a peaceful sleep

Good luck and let me know if description is not clear or you can't make anything out from the picture I have attached.

Regards,
Dharmesh
Hi Dharmesh,

Firstly thanks for the usefull suggeastion, but unfortunately can't see the pics.

Would request to upload the pics again.

BR

Amit
Old 11th May 2012, 22:12   #2602
BHPian

@Pallavi, @Anup, @amitpunjani:

sorry friends and thanks to you all for reporting the missing picture matter. Here find the same for ready reference. I have numbered them as 1-2-3-4 so that you can co-relate them to my post on the subject. Very surprising that when Amit quoted my message here, I can see my pictures on the quoted message as well beside the original one posted by me. Don't know whether it is some cache on my laptop or what but I can still see the pictures.

In any case, here are they attached again.

Inconvenience regretted.

regards,
Dharmesh
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-1.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-2.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-3.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-4.jpg  

Old 11th May 2012, 23:25   #2603
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I want to buy a new Split for my brother's room.
A 0.75T split would be more than enough.

His room is pretty small as he likes the isolation at the back end of the house, 75 sq ft at best. 1 Medium and 1 small window and there is a floor above.

Conditions,
1. I would like to avoid the Korean brands (LG, Samsung etc)
2. Should be VFM
3. Quality matters
4. Good A.S.S.
5. 3* - 5*
6. No definitive budget.

Please give your suggestions.

Last edited by mjumrani : 11th May 2012 at 23:27.
Old 12th May 2012, 01:37   #2604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmeshmahajan View Post
Never ever buy a Hitachi AC....most pathetic customer care I ever came across. Even a chai wala bhai or a sabji wala on the nukkad will give you better feel than these money sucking foreign firms who spent millions on advertisement but outsource all their customer care to cheap agencies. And I must share with you that japanese are known to do planning meticulous to details and planning going into seconds, whereas experience with Hitachi makes you realize that they are worse than anyone. Infact Government office will give better care to you if you ask them for help.

I will share more details later but I own a Hitachi Summer QC 1.5 Ton 5 Star and bought it just one year back. Absolutely no problem with machine except that its remote is pathetic (works as if it is having its own mood changing sensor that does not listen to my commands). Cooling is superb in Gurgaon heat but customer care is so hopeless that I will not suggest it to any friend. You pay more for better services besides a superb machine. And service is horrible in case of Hitachi.

They don't even care to respond back on your email to their customer care id. And they do lie like a thug every single day when you follow up for the commitment made for last day. And that last day literally never ends unless you warn them for a 100,000 mental harassment suit in a District Consumer court. That is what I did when I got fed up with their lies which continued for 2 weeks. If anyone need more details, just let me know and I will explain the details with timeline. Happened in last weeks of April 2012...

Regards,
Dharmesh
I have had worse experience last year and I have also posted my experience here but somehow poor service experience of Hitachi doesnt deter people at all.
Old 12th May 2012, 11:36   #2605
BHPian

I recently bought a Haier 1 Ton 3 Star split AC from flipkart for 19500. Seemed a good deal especially considering that it had a 2.87 EER 3 Star plus 6 layer filtering including a ionizer.
It turns out the actual piece had 2.91 EER!

The delivery time was awful took nearly 20 days to show up. The Haier service agent also took a day to show up and fix the stuff and charged me 1500 for the work.

The installation was quite disappointing. The wire is quite small like 1 mtr. the wire was short by 30-40 cms and the guy just cut his 2 core drilling machine wire and taped it to the 3 core AC wire. To top it the guy did not even have the 3 pin plug and just stuck it in the socket. Moreover, even the mud and the unclean state which he refused to clean up. Disappointing to say the least. Is this the normal modus operandi? This is my very first time with an AC in my family.

The AC cools fine and quite silently too. Don't bank much on the manual of 6 pages. Very less info. Need to figure out how the ionizer function gets activated as the button on the remote does not seem to do the job.
Old 14th May 2012, 10:16   #2606
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I saw a Tallboy AC in Croma. Its similiar to Panasonic's cube but looks more like a Tall Cooler with a huge pipe behind. Price was INR 26XXX as I recollect for 1T.
Old 15th May 2012, 02:47   #2607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Hi Guys,

I want to buy a new Split for my brother's room.
A 0.75T split would be more than enough.

His room is pretty small as he likes the isolation at the back end of the house, 75 sq ft at best. 1 Medium and 1 small window and there is a floor above.

Conditions,
1. I would like to avoid the Korean brands (LG, Samsung etc)
2. Should be VFM
3. Quality matters
4. Good A.S.S.
5. 3* - 5*
6. No definitive budget.

Please give your suggestions.
Please have a look at DAIKIN air conditioners, I am having 4 of them at home and they are great. The *** is also great.
You can also try out Panasonic Cube, though i personally do not like Panasonic, they have horrifying ***
Old 17th May 2012, 16:55   #2608
BHPian

Need to buy an AC for a room of 170 sqft. I have to decide on the tonnage since i have only a single phase connection. The room is on the top floor hence 1.5 ton is a necessity.

Will a single phase support a 1.5 ton AC?
Old 18th May 2012, 19:17   #2609
Senior - BHPian

As of personal experience, two Onida ACs- one 1.0 Ton and other 1.5 Ton were running on Single Phase connection in our home.
But when there was need of fitting the third one (in my room), we took 3-Phase Connection before fitting the AC.
The third one is Whirlpool 1.5Ton 5 Star Aviator.
FYI, my room is also 17 X 10 but there is cupboard of 2 Ft Deep and 7.5 Ft Height running across the breadth on one side.
Old 18th May 2012, 22:09   #2610
BHPian

Folks in case of a comparison between Daikin & Hitaichi similar units i.e. same tonnage which in your opinion is a better brand WRT efficacy i.e. cooling and service (warranty or AMC as the case maybe). Am considering 2 units ( only 5 star rated) one of 1.5t and one of 1t for a room of size 330 sq ft .

Will appreciate any feedback.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks