Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2013, 18:41   #1426
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I face a pretty peculiar problem with my 520.
Sometimes when it hangs, you can't operate the touchscreen. And you can't shut it down (slide down to poweroff - how will you slide down when the touchscreen has become unresponsive)
So I take off the battery and restart.
Now when I start the phone - the time and date are all crapped.
I mean it is not correct. Like just now it was showing 11 am, 2 Dec 2013!

I have to restart again to get back the right date and time!

This has happened quite consistently ...
The next time this happens don't remove the battery to restart. Let the phone sit for a few seconds and it will normally restart on it's own. But, if it doesn't, then press and hold the Power key + Vol Down key for about 10 seconds. This will force a soft reset.
Old 12th December 2013, 18:56   #1427
BHPian

My 720 is behaving in a very peculiar way. I shut it down and then as soon as it turns off it restarts on its own! For about a week my phone has never turned off completely. I never got this before and I cannot figure out how to stop this.
Old 13th December 2013, 12:55   #1428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The next time this happens don't remove the battery to restart. Let the phone sit for a few seconds and it will normally restart on it's own. But, if it doesn't, then press and hold the Power key + Vol Down key for about 10 seconds. This will force a soft reset.
Power + Vol down key also results in the same "slide down to power off" message :( (tried it today morning) - and thus the same irritating behavior - that when your touchscreen is high on dope - how can you use it to "slide down"

But the main point of my post was not this thoroughly idiotic behavior - but the time and date which is set to some vague number.
There is no pattern to it.

Just that whenever Hang -> restart sequence happens - the time and date go bonkers. And when you restart AGAIN, it becomes OK.
Old 13th December 2013, 12:59   #1429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Power + Vol down key also results in the same "slide down to power off" message :( (tried it today morning) - and thus the same irritating behavior - that when your touchscreen is high on dope - how can you use it to "slide down"

But the main point of my post was not this thoroughly idiotic behavior - but the time and date which is set to some vague number.
There is no pattern to it.

Just that whenever Hang -> restart sequence happens - the time and date go bonkers. And when you restart AGAIN, it becomes OK.
Very strange. Power + Vol Down should cause a soft reboot. Press the Vol Down button first and then press the Power button and hold them both till you feel the phone vibrate.
Old 13th December 2013, 13:07   #1430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
My 720 is behaving in a very peculiar way. I shut it down and then as soon as it turns off it restarts on its own! For about a week my phone has never turned off completely. I never got this before and I cannot figure out how to stop this.
Are you trying to turn off the phone while the charger is plugged in? AFAIK, WPs turn on automatically when plugged in for charging.

Latest update for HTC 8X enables the phone to be powered off while charging but I'm not sure all models have that 'feature' yet.

Quote:
Even I've faced this issue a couple of times last year on my WP7 but not yet on my WP8. It was happening very rarely to actually search for a solution yet. Please update the thread in case you find out something.

Last edited by zenren : 13th December 2013 at 13:12.
Old 13th December 2013, 13:32   #1431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very strange. Power + Vol Down should cause a soft reboot. Press the Vol Down button first and then press the Power button and hold them both till you feel the phone vibrate.
I think I got the hang of the maneuver.
You need to press the keys forever, ignoring the silly screen that keeps showing the "slide down" message. The phone will emit a pulse of vibration.
Presto it will restart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

Even I've faced this issue a couple of times last year on my WP7 but not yet on my WP8. It was happening very rarely to actually search for a solution yet. Please update the thread in case you find out something.
LOL, you know, I just tried to restart the phone even though it did not hang (just to practice the above maneuver).
The date and time after the restart is 9 am 6 March 2013.

What am I supposed to do?
Even though the time and date setting are automatic - there is no rectification - checked this by keeping it so for the whole night. I expected it would be correct by the morning!

Last edited by alpha1 : 13th December 2013 at 13:34.
Old 13th December 2013, 15:24   #1432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What am I supposed to do?
Even though the time and date setting are automatic - there is no rectification - checked this by keeping it so for the whole night. I expected it would be correct by the morning!
Are you facing this problem in a specific location like your home or office. My cousin faced a similar problem with his L920 whenever he would be at home. But at office things would worked fine for him.

If you are facing this problem at a specific location then I think that the tower that your phone is getting a signal from is beaming down the wrong time. This turned out to be the case with my cousin also. So can check restarting your phone when you are in a different location.
Old 13th December 2013, 15:26   #1433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try disabling auto-update date/time and set time manually. See if you still face this issue after restarts. If the issue is with the time sync service, then it won't be called with auto update setting disabled.
Old 13th December 2013, 17:13   #1434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Are you trying to turn off the phone while the charger is plugged in? AFAIK, WPs turn on automatically when plugged in for charging.

Latest update for HTC 8X enables the phone to be powered off while charging but I'm not sure all models have that 'feature' yet.

No. I turn off the phone when not plugged in and it never powers off. I tried completely discharging it, it shuts down and the behaviour repeated when it has enough charge.
Old 13th December 2013, 18:23   #1435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
No. I turn off the phone when not plugged in and it never powers off. I tried completely discharging it, it shuts down and the behaviour repeated when it has enough charge.
Might be an issue with the power button.
Old 15th December 2013, 16:17   #1436
BHPian

Quote:
Might be an issue with the power button.
Thought so. But I found out why. Free Memory was down to less than 1gb, so I uninstalled some apps and the issue was resolved. I couldn't replicate when I filled the memory again.
Old 16th December 2013, 20:41   #1437
BHPian

Here is the thing, I dropped my L820 and now the LCD is cracked. The touch interface is gone and the screen is also kaput. Am not in a position to view anything on the phone right now and can only receive calls via headphone.

Plz tell me how much is it gonna cost in repair now. Am stuck now and dont even have anything in standby.
Old 16th December 2013, 21:11   #1438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amikacin View Post
Here is the thing, I dropped my L820 and now the LCD is cracked. The touch interface is gone and the screen is also kaput. Am not in a position to view anything on the phone right now and can only receive calls via headphone.

Plz tell me how much is it gonna cost in repair now. Am stuck now and dont even have anything in standby.
Should be around 8.5k at Nokia Care. Quoting another 820 owner who went through the process for feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
My Lumia 820's screen is currently broken. I have been quoted 6K for the screen and 2.5K for the touchpad by a local store. I need to take it to Nokia though.
Old 16th December 2013, 21:28   #1439
BHPian

[quote=zenren;3321239]Should be around 8.5k at Nokia Care. Quoting another 820 owner who went through the process for feedback.

Thanks zenren. The cover glass is intact but the cracks are visible on the display underneath.
Living in a remote corner of Rajasthan, I don't have much options here. Will take it to Nokia Care at Jaipur this weekend.

I dont even have any stop gap arrangement with me and this feeling of helplessness is pretty scary. First thing tomorrow morning, get a temporary phone.
Old 17th December 2013, 11:41   #1440
BHPian

Day of breaking display glass. I had dropped my Lumia 800 so many times without even a scratch on screen. But yesterday it landed flat on screen and now screen has gone. I can see a crack. Now it displays some weird colors and touch is completely gone.

So I am back to my old and gold, Nokia E5. Thanks to integration with live.com, I have all my contacts safely stored there. Just exported these to csv file and imported in outlook. Waiting for E5 to synch with outlook contacts.

I will check with Nokia care tomorrow. If this is anything beyond 5K, I will probably take this as opportunity to upgrade to Windows phone 8.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks