Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2019, 22:25   #11371
BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Anyone moved from LG V30+ to Samsung S10. Could you tell about the sound quality in earphones ? . The reason why ask is that, S10 doesn't have a Hi-Fi Quad DAC. Is the sound quality on par with V30+? (If not better). I did check S10 out at a Samsung store. But I couldn't test the audio since it was not connected to the net.
Btw V30+ feels more premium in hand even though its 2 generations old.
Old 23rd May 2019, 17:38   #11372
Senior - BHPian

I recently bought a Samsung M30 from Amazon. This phone has a constraint that to use SIM cards from other country regions, cumulative call(s) over five minutes must first be made with the SIM card from Indian operators in visiting country then use the SIM card of visiting country.

This is a very strange requirement. The Amazon product detail page doesnt have any mention of this constraint. What effectively Samsung is doing is to force the customer to International roam for 5 minutes before making any other local SIM card.

Is this a new trend due to the Make in India campaign? Any workarounds for this 5 minute rule? I understand this may be to prevent unauthorized export of these phones to other markets; but that puts genuine buyers from India into an unpleasant experience

Last edited by arjithin : 23rd May 2019 at 17:40.
Old 23rd May 2019, 18:23   #11373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Is this a new trend
It's not new. I don't know how old it is, but I seem to remember seeing it discussed here before I saw it on phone boxes a year or so ago.

Why do they do it? My guess is to prevent people exporting sealed boxes to countries where prices are higher.
Old 23rd May 2019, 19:19   #11374
A M
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's not new. I don't know how old it is, but I seem to remember seeing it discussed here before I saw it on phone boxes a year or so ago.

Why do they do it? My guess is to prevent people exporting sealed boxes to countries where prices are higher.
The general practice among manufacturers is a one time use with an Indian sim and then the user is free to choose whatever sim they want. But making it mandatory to use an Indian sim for 5 minutes every time an International sim is used, is plain stupid.

Last edited by A M : 23rd May 2019 at 19:20.
Old 23rd May 2019, 19:49   #11375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This phone has a constraint that to use SIM cards from other country regions, cumulative call(s) over five minutes must first be made with the SIM card from Indian operators in visiting country
I missed that bit completely. That's a totally different thing.
Old 24th May 2019, 10:54   #11376
BHPian

Quote:
I recently bought a Samsung M30 from Amazon. This phone has a constraint that to use SIM cards from other country regions, cumulative call(s) over five minutes must first be made with the SIM card from Indian operators in visiting country then use the SIM card of visiting country.
This most certainly doesn't sound right. The rule has always been to use it for 5 minutes in India and then that requirement is not applicable anytime in the future. Can you upload a picture of the box or sticker where it says this?
Old 24th May 2019, 11:09   #11377
Senior - BHPian

The so called rule is to initially activate and use the phone for over 5 minutes using an Indian Sim card in India . I know alot of people who did this and then took the phone overseas and it works with the sim card of the visiting country.
So I am not sure why it would be any different with the M30.

Last edited by bigron : 24th May 2019 at 11:10.
Old 24th May 2019, 14:24   #11378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
The general practice among manufacturers is a one time use with an Indian sim and then the user is free to choose whatever sim they want. But making it mandatory to use an Indian sim for 5 minutes every time an International sim is used, is plain stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
This most certainly doesn't sound right. The rule has always been to use it for 5 minutes in India and then that requirement is not applicable anytime in the future. Can you upload a picture of the box or sticker where it says this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
The so called rule is to initially activate and use the phone for over 5 minutes using an Indian Sim card in India . I know alot of people who did this and then took the phone overseas and it works with the sim card of the visiting country.
So I am not sure why it would be any different with the M30.
I too was under the same assumption and used the phone for 8 minutes before travelling and later sent the phone back to India with another person to use in India again, but the phone is still asking for SIM unlock code every time I put an international SIM card.

Here is the sticker on the box

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-20190524_183822.jpg

Here is the proof that I made more than 5 minutes of call, all in India

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-screenshot_20190524183856_contacts.jpg

This is the response from Samsung. 3 different CSRs emailed the same message.
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 863
Size:  32.8 KB

Now I guess my only option is to buy an international roaming pack using an Indian SIM card and try my luck again.

OT - Samsung customer service is pathetic in this case. They always ask me to visit an Indian service center to sort this problem. They dont have any process to generate an unlock code. Their customer service number cannot be reached from outside India and email responses normally takes 5-6 days with scripted responses. They haven't even acknowledged that there is a difference in what they put in the phone box and what they are asking me to do.

Last edited by arjithin : 24th May 2019 at 14:25. Reason: typo
Old 24th May 2019, 14:42   #11379
BHPian

Quote:
but the phone is still asking for SIM unlock code every time I put an international SIM card.
Just doing some brain storming here. If it is asking for a sim unlock, maybe you should check with your Australian Service Provider for the default sim unlock code.
Network lock on the phone would be different and should not give you a 'sim unlock code' message. Could you try another operators ( Australia) sim and check?
Old 24th May 2019, 15:58   #11380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Just doing some brain storming here. If it is asking for a sim unlock, maybe you should check with your Australian Service Provider for the default sim unlock code.
Network lock on the phone would be different and should not give you a 'sim unlock code' message. Could you try another operators ( Australia) sim and check?
I did try 3 providers already.
Just now bought an international roaming pack and made a 5 mt incoming roaming call to this phone .
And this phone is now accepting Australia sim cards. No more sim unlock code requests!!!

I will continue to follow up with Samsung and see what solution they provide .
Old 25th May 2019, 05:30   #11381
BHPian

I am looking for a smartphone for my dad. This will be his 2nd smartphone but 1st android one.
Criteria-
1. Budget- Rs 10-12k
2. Brand- Nokia/Motorola/Samsung
3. RAM- 3/4 GB, Storage- 32/64 GB
4. Battery backup- More than 1 day.
5. Camera- Good picture quality, similar to Samsung J8

Shortlisted-
Nokia 5.1/ 6.1/6.1+
Motorola X4/G6/G6 plus/ G6 play/ G7 power
Samsung J6/ M20

Being a Nokia loyalist, he wants to go for Nokia 5.1+/6.1+/6.1. Is it worth buying Nokia in today's era?

Any other suggestion is welcome
Old 25th May 2019, 18:32   #11382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamitMukherjee View Post
4. Battery backup- More than 1 day.
How much more battery backup you want?
is it enough?

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-screenshot_20190524225239.png

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-screenshot_20190524225248.png
Old 25th May 2019, 20:39   #11383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
How much more battery backup you want?

Amazing.
What phone is this?
Old 25th May 2019, 21:40   #11384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post