Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2012, 15:09   #481
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

I am using D-Link 2750 as an ADSL + wifi router as my primary access point. This is placed in a central location to serve internet to different platforms. I have manually assigned static IP to each gadget.

Now I need access point in my bedroom to connect my home theater as well as TV. I have a spare wifi router available. Could anyone please guide me how to I set this up so that I have access to the internet from my bedroom too. Mind you I don't have internal LAN cable wiring nor can I run one from the hall. It has be to a wifi bridge kind of network.

Please help
Old 1st October 2012, 16:20   #482
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post
Ok need for a new wifi router arises. I am looking at the ASUS RT N66U.
Its perfect for my needs and reviews suggest that it is awesome. I am getting it for 13.5k. Should I go ahead and buy this one or should I buy the Apple Airport Extreme? Are there are any other routers to look out for that are better than the RT-N66?

Cheers,
K
At present Asus N66U is the best. I have it and have no regrets buying it.
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:33   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
At present Asus N66U is the best. I have it and have no regrets buying it.
How much did you get it for?
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:21   #484
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
How much did you get it for?
I guess 14 or 14.5K. I guess it has been around 6 months since I brought it.

In US it is available for less than 9K.
Old 2nd October 2012, 22:07   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
I guess 14 or 14.5K. I guess it has been around 6 months since I brought it.

In US it is available for less than 9K.
Nobody here has it in stock and the best price that I got quoted for this one was around 13k. He said he could get it on order. Shopyourworld.com offers it for 13k as well. Doesn't seem to be worth all the trouble to save just 4-5k. Can anyone direct me to some place in chennai to get this one?

ITDepot says they don't have stock and Delta Peripherals have no idea whether they will be able to source one for me.

Cheers,
K
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:42   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
I am using D-Link 2750 as an ADSL + wifi router as my primary access point. This is placed in a central location to serve internet to different platforms. I have manually assigned static IP to each gadget.

Now I need access point in my bedroom to connect my home theater as well as TV. I have a spare wifi router available. Could anyone please guide me how to I set this up so that I have access to the internet from my bedroom too. Mind you I don't have internal LAN cable wiring nor can I run one from the hall. It has be to a wifi bridge kind of network.

Please help
You need to bridge both the routers, there are options available for bridging in the router. Look at the manual on how to.
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:51   #487
Senior - BHPian

I recently bought a TP-Link wifi router as a replacement to my 6 year old Linksys WRT54G. I must say, I am terribly disappointed with its poor signal strength even though it claims to have an extra long range at 300 mbps speed. Here is the link. Bought it from Flipkart for Rs 1750.
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:56   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Nobody here has it in stock and the best price that I got quoted for this one was around 13k. He said he could get it on order. Shopyourworld.com offers it for 13k as well. Doesn't seem to be worth all the trouble to save just 4-5k. Can anyone direct me to some place in chennai to get this one?

ITDepot says they don't have stock and Delta Peripherals have no idea whether they will be able to source one for me.

Cheers,
K
Its on flipkart for about 15k. I too got one from US last mnth paid $159.00. Worth every penney.
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:24   #489
BHPian

My Cisco Linksys WAG120N ADSL Router went bust last week. It was not all that good while it worked and it finally gave up last week. It was about a year old. I tried to contact the cisco service support. Was given a location on JC road for the service centre. But when i went there, apparently, i had to fill a 3 page questionnaire before and should have had a Case number. Too bad. The service guys never mentioned that to me.
Anyway, i decided that i had had enough with cisco. So i walked across to SP road and bought a Belkin N150 for 1952/-. Its been going well. No issues so far.
I am now trying to get my cisco router repaired from a local electronics shop.

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 3rd October 2012 at 16:27.
Old 3rd October 2012, 19:37   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo
I recently bought a TP-Link wifi router as a replacement to my 6 year old Linksys WRT54G. I must say, I am terribly disappointed with its poor signal strength even though it claims to have an extra long range at 300 mbps speed. Here is the link. Bought it from Flipkart for Rs 1750.
What kind of issue are you facing? I have heard good reviews about this model. Did you try changing the channel, and any cordless phones nearby the router?
Old 3rd October 2012, 20:23   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
It all depends on the numbers of obstacles between the AP and the clients and the routers positioning. Do ensure that its running on 100% RF power. Also 300mbps is the bandwidth it can support which is supported by Wireless N-protocol.
Old 4th October 2012, 16:28   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
What kind of issue are you facing? I have heard good reviews about this model. Did you try changing the channel, and any cordless phones nearby the router?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
It all depends on the numbers of obstacles between the AP and the clients and the routers positioning. Do ensure that its running on 100% RF power. Also 300mbps is the bandwidth it can support which is supported by Wireless N-protocol.
My biggest issue is with the range it gives. My older router used to give pretty strong signals in one specific spot, whereas this one gives a weak signal in the same spot and elsewhere. Everything else remains same, position of router, walls, furniture, etc. I don't have any cordless phones at home. Channel is currently set Auto and I think it has selected 6. I will need to check about he RF power setting, if any. I am going back to my old router till this gets fixed.
Old 5th October 2012, 10:45   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
My biggest issue is with the range it gives. My older router used to give pretty strong signals in one specific spot, whereas this one gives a weak signal in the same spot and elsewhere. Everything else remains same, position of router, walls, furniture, etc. I don't have any cordless phones at home. Channel is currently set Auto and I think it has selected 6. I will need to check about he RF power setting, if any. I am going back to my old router till this gets fixed.
Goto their download page the based on the version of the hardware, download their latest firmware (V8 has one released in August). They have clear instructions on the upgrade process.

Other option would be to download the DD-WRT firmware(if your model is supported), it has much more options than the OEM firmware including increase power settings.
Old 6th October 2012, 16:36   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Goto their download page the based on the version of the hardware, download their latest firmware (V8 has one released in August). They have clear instructions on the upgrade process.

Other option would be to download the DD-WRT firmware(if your model is supported), it has much more options than the OEM firmware including increase power settings.
Done all that and more and still no improvement. I am now back to my 6 year old modem. It feels good that I didn't spend a fortune on this piece of brick.
Old 6th October 2012, 16:46   #495
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the red herring. I was also in your shoes two days back. I was using
WRT54G with BSNL modem. The modem conked off and I was in two minds whether to replace the entire set up with a cheap integrated Router+modem or just replace the BSNL modem with a lower end TP link modem with WRT54G. Finally I went for the second option and your review proves, I was right. This WRT54G Linksys router is one heck of a device. It is running for last 4 years with out a glitch. I hardly switch it off. Also as you pointed out the signal strength is unmatched. it reaches every corner of my home with min 3 bars signal strength.

Last edited by poloman : 6th October 2012 at 16:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks