Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2016, 19:46   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Amazon Kindle

Kindle Paperwhite 2015 (3rd generation) is available for Rs. 9000.

I noticed that we need to buy charger separately (or perhaps use the ones already at home).
I am seriously considering to buy the Paperwhite, hoping that it can prompt me to start reading. :(

How can I copy downloaded PDF file (some technical book) on to the device?
What is the limitation in reading PDF files on the Paperwhite?
Old 6th February 2016, 20:51   #587
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Reading a direct pdf is not great in a Kindle. The biggest limitation being, not able size it correctly based on your need. You can convert to a mobi or an azw format and can move it to Kindle. It works fine and renders well. You can use tools like Calibre to convert.

Last edited by ampere : 6th February 2016 at 20:52.
Old 6th February 2016, 22:56   #588
BHPian

My Kindle Keyboard (2011) finally died. For now, I am using the Kindle app on Ipad but it is not the same experience by any stretch of imagination.

So I am thinking of buying another Kindle. I am confused between Paperwhite and Voyage. I like Voyage's features but the price seems to be too high (Almost double the price of Paperwhite). Is it worth it? One thing I don't like about Paperwhite is the absence of the dedicated page turn buttons. Voyage has them. It means I can hold it in one hand and still be able to go back or forward (Just like on my Kindle Keyboard)

Having said all that, I still think 16K is on the higher side. Also, it doesn't seem to get any promotional discounts whatsoever whereas Paperwhite is routinely sold at discounted prices.

Would like to hear from team-bhpians, their point of view on Voyage Vs Paperwhite.

I read a lot. I have been reading almost exclusively on my Kindle since 2011.
Old 6th February 2016, 23:03   #589
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
I read a lot. I have been reading almost exclusively on my Kindle since 2011.
This alone makes it the prime reason for you to get a Voyage. You should definitely look at it.
Old 7th February 2016, 06:14   #590
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

My earlier generation Kindle with the 5 way button and page turing arrows on both sides got stolen in Bombay a week or ten days back. It may have cost about 69-79 Dollars when we bought it some years back.
That was the basic Kindle and stood me in very good stead - I really miss it a lot.
Almost immediately after buying it we came across the original Kindle Leather Case with built in light - at Rs 3699/- in Croma. Lovely product. Bought it immediately and preserved/ used it to the hilt until just last week, when it got whacked as I said.

So since Im a keen Kindle addict I was at a loss.
I just went on Amazon and bought the new generation Kindle Paper White with built in backlight etc for 10,999/- + the Original Leather Kindle Case for another 2399/-
It is necessary in my opinion, to get the best, most durable and cleanest fitting, highest quality case for the Kindle, and even if it is more expensive than the other cases, the original Amazon case really gives back, in terms of sheer quality.
So now I am back to Kindle - a new one and am enjoying every moment.

But, honestly, I still miss my old first Kindle - that was in a class by itself....
Old 7th February 2016, 07:07   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
My earlier generation Kindle with the 5 way button and page turing arrows on both sides got stolen in Bombay a week or ten days back. It may have cost about 69-79 Dollars when we bought it some years back.
That was the basic Kindle and stood me in very good stead - I really miss it a lot.
Almost immediately after buying it we came across the original Kindle Leather Case with built in light - at Rs 3699/- in Croma. Lovely product. Bought it immediately and preserved/ used it to the hilt until just last week, when it got whacked as I said.
I still have & use this old Kindle, is really performing superbly till now. Make sure to call Amazon Kindle support & report loss, they will block the Kindle making it unusable.
Old 7th February 2016, 08:30   #592
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
I still have & use this old Kindle, is really performing superbly till now. Make sure to call Amazon Kindle support & report loss, they will block the Kindle making it unusable.
Yes I first de-listed the Kindle from my list of devices on Amazon. Then I called them and asked them to deactivate the lost Kindle.
Hopefully it is now rendered un-usable and whoever stole it learns a lesson.
Dirty creeps.
Old 7th March 2016, 14:09   #593
BHPian

Swinging towards Kindle Paperwhite Wifi - On amazon it is available for 10,999 whereas paytm has an offer with cashback which makes it effectively 9349. Is it safe to buy from paytm? warranty or any other issue which might crop up or any other hassle of setting up account etc.

Let me know.

Haven't decided when it was at 9000 at amazon itself or should i just wait for some time when amazon reduces the price.
Old 7th March 2016, 14:52   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post
Swinging towards Kindle Paperwhite Wifi - On amazon it is available for 10,999 whereas paytm has an offer with cashback which makes it effectively 9349. Is it safe to buy from paytm? warranty or any other issue which might crop up or any other hassle of setting up account etc.

Let me know.

Haven't decided when it was at 9000 at amazon itself or should i just wait for some time when amazon reduces the price.
You get it for 9000 every month or so - just keep your eyes open.

I got mine at 8100 - ebay had it for 9k and a 10% off coupon was applicable!
Old 9th March 2016, 11:48   #595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post

Let me know.

Just so that you are doing a fair price comparison:
The one on PayTM is 212 ppi (which is the older version).

The new one will have 2000 Rs. discount maybe when the next festival comes around.
I am also thinking of buying one - though I do not read at all. :(
Old 9th March 2016, 12:57   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Just so that you are doing a fair price comparison:
The one on PayTM is 212 ppi (which is the older version).

The new one will have 2000 Rs. discount maybe when the next festival comes around.
I am also thinking of buying one - though I do not read at all. :(
is this not the 300 ppi one?

https://paytm.com/shop/p/kindle-pape...d%7CSearch%7C1
Old 9th March 2016, 15:07   #597
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Reading a direct pdf is not great in a Kindle. The biggest limitation being, not able size it correctly based on your need. You can convert to a mobi or an azw format and can move it to Kindle. It works fine and renders well. You can use tools like Calibre to convert.
Hello Folks,

There is one easier way to convert pdf, and other, document to Kindle friendly format.

Simply email it to your Kindle ID. The Subject of the mail should be "convert".

The document will be delivered to your kindle through wifi/3G, ready to read.

This works for many other formats too.

Do give it a try.
Old 12th March 2016, 14:13   #598
BHPian

Guys I need some help. Is this the same basic kindle which is available at amazon.in for Rs 5999?
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Amazon-Kindle...AAAOSw9N1V2udd

If yes then I want to buy it as I am getting it at Rs.5078 after discounts.
Old 12th March 2016, 20:42   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan View Post
Guys I need some help. Is this the same basic kindle which is available at amazon.in for Rs 5999?
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Amazon-Kindle...AAAOSw9N1V2udd

If yes then I want to buy it as I am getting it at Rs.5078 after discounts.
Better to go in with official seller.

BTW they too offer discounts periodically.
Old 12th March 2016, 21:17   #600
BHPian

Just an FYI, please don't buy books through your kindle, the netbanking/debit card method is having some issue. The helpline said so, after my purchase didn't go through. Some money of mine is currently in limbo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks