Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2010, 14:04   #556
Senior - BHPian

I used BrutMaps to navigate my way to Indore and back on my android 2.1 phone. It worked very well with voice guidance etc. with the map data that I had in the phone's cache. However, BrutMaps requires GPRS connection to calculate the driving directions or for rerouting the driving directions. Once the driving directions are calculated, I was able to turn off the GPRS connection and the navigation still worked.

Is anyone using anything like GPSTrackerLite which can track one's route and save the file as a .gpx one? I am unable to install GPSTrackerLite and want to know if there is anything like it which does not require a GPRS connection to plot the route.

-Biju
Old 9th November 2010, 16:00   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I used BrutMaps to navigate my way to Indore and back on my android 2.1 phone. It worked very well with voice guidance etc. with the map data that I had in the phone's cache. However, BrutMaps requires GPRS connection to calculate the driving directions or for rerouting the driving directions. Once the driving directions are calculated, I was able to turn off the GPRS connection and the navigation still worked.

Is anyone using anything like GPSTrackerLite which can track one's route and save the file as a .gpx one? I am unable to install GPSTrackerLite and want to know if there is anything like it which does not require a GPRS connection to plot the route.

-Biju
From where did you download BrutMaps? i don't see it in Android market.
Old 9th November 2010, 16:35   #558
Team-BHP Support

I see HTC Desire can do HD recording via Froyo Update(2.2)
Are the phones available with 2.1 easily upgradable to 2.2?
Old 9th November 2010, 17:16   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Oh my. Why should your desktop hang? That's got nothing to do with the upgrade process. If you are coming to the lavasa meet this weekend or anytime to pune, come home. We can try the upgrade on my laptop.
No idea why the desktop hangs!

Sadly, i cant come for the Lavasa meet too!
Old 9th November 2010, 17:18   #560
BHPian

Guys,
Check out the opera mobile 10.1, for android. Much more snappier than the default browser. the tabbed browsing is pretty good.

Opera Mobile 10 beta | Inspiration comes in small packages
Old 9th November 2010, 17:40   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
From where did you download BrutMaps? i don't see it in Android market.
Please check this post for details and link.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2058121

You need to download the apk file from the website and once downloaded, Android will ask you if you want to install it and then you can install the applicaion. You need to change the settings to allow unverified applications to be installed for this to be successful.
Old 9th November 2010, 22:11   #562
BHPian

I was planning to buy samsung galaxy 3 tomorrow itself, but now i read a few blogs, one of them also published a response from samsung customer care which has no clear mention of 2.2 froyo would be available for this phone.

I waited so long to make up mind and pocket for a android phone now this makes me uncomfortable.
Old 10th November 2010, 08:45   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I am trying to update my X10i through SE Update Service but everytime i try, my desktop hangs! God knows whats the reason. I am still stuck with 1.6!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Oh my. Why should your desktop hang? That's got nothing to do with the upgrade process. If you are coming to the lavasa meet this weekend or anytime to pune, come home. We can try the upgrade on my laptop.
Quote:
No idea why the desktop hangs!

Sadly, i cant come for the Lavasa meet too!
finally when the whole world is moving to android 2.1, I could atleast update my phone to the latest update of Android 1.6 in my X10i (R2BA026).

thanks a lot to member aditya who spent hours on the phone with me trying to find out the issue. Aditya has flashed his earlier SE phone & his R&D on the same helped!

The problem was that my desktop had Kaspersky Antivirus installed! I started the comp is Safe mode & tried updating with SEUS & it worked. It updated to R2BA026 from R1FA014. This is still Android 1.6 though & not android 2.1 !!

Now PC companion is not showing any "update available" message, so when do i get the update to Android 2.1? My phone is bought from UAE & is being used currently here in India. Since mine has been updated to 026 from R1FA014 (UAE firmware), would i still have to wait for SE to release the update for UAE market?

Even after this update, i have still not got the Android market application but i did get the backup & restore app.

Other noticeable changes are -
* better & faster Timescape & Mediascape
* better volume control bar in mediascape
* phone numbers in contacts are now written in this format : 989-123-1234 which makes reading easier.
* Timescape has a floaty background like Live wallpaper!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 10th November 2010 at 08:47.
Old 10th November 2010, 16:30   #564
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I still don't understand why Kaspersky should be a problem. All my three laptops run Kaspersky. I didn't have a single issue till now. Check out for older versions of McAfee (if you had it earlier). There's a MPCR program that's available in McAfee site which you can use to remove McAfee completely.
Old 10th November 2010, 18:11   #565
Senior - BHPian

Kaspersky was the problem as its the only anti-virus which i have installed in my PC till date. As soon as i started in Safe mode, the updating process quickly started.

Now i am waiting for the 2.1 upgrade. Its not out for my phone yet as mentioned here. God knows how long will I have to wait!
Old 10th November 2010, 19:10   #566
BHPian

A good news for Android lovers "Samsung Continuum Unveiled"
Old 11th November 2010, 01:20   #567
BHPian

Sorry for another post, but seems I am getting desperate for first android phone.

future bazaar has launched a attractive battle price on Galaxy 3 + belkin car charger

is it worth considering ?
Old 11th November 2010, 05:27   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
finally when the whole world is moving to android 2.1, I could atleast update my phone to the latest update of Android 1.6 in my X10i (R2BA026)
Raj, Please take time to go to Xperia X10 section of XDA Developers website and you can find all information about how to update to 2.1.

My phone is originally from Rogers Canada and I debranded, unlocked and updated to R2BA026 the same day I bought my phone! Around 3 months ago....

XDA website has 2.1 global firmware and instructions to update. I have already provided the XDA thread link in my reply to Revtech a few posts back. In less than 5 minutes, your phone can be on 2.1.
Old 11th November 2010, 10:30   #569
Senior - BHPian

What are the cons of debranding my phone buddy? Isnt it better that i wait for a few more days for the official update of my phone to be launched? what do you sugggest?
Old 11th November 2010, 11:20   #570
BANNED

Acer Liquid

Has anyone tried out the Acer Liquid. It's the coolest looking. I'm looking for a new phone and am quite keen on this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-acerliquidandroidphone3.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-acerliquidandroidphonepreviewed.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-acerliquidphone1.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-acerliquidsnapdragonandroidphone1.jpg  

Attached Images

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks