Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2010, 11:34   #571
BANNED

Dell are launching the XCD25 & 28 in India. Dell launched XCD28 & XCD35, 3G Android mobiles in India | Eminent Column
Old 11th November 2010, 11:40   #572
Senior - BHPian

Another day, another issue. My phone seems to be hell bent on giving trouble. Nowadays I'm facing issue with connecting to internet via Wi-Fi. Strangest thing is that all google related apps work(gmail, gtalk, google maps, google search etc) but nothing other than works. Whenever I try to open a website it just stops after sometime saying "Data connectivity problem. The server failed to communicate. Try again later." No facebook, no twitter, no yahoo mail, nada, nothing. This stupid thing is driving me nuts and there seems to be no solution for it. I've kind started hating google for making such crappy software.
Old 11th November 2010, 12:15   #573
Senior - BHPian

I am looking to buy an Android phone with following features:

1. 3G
2. Push Email for both Gmail and Office emails
3. WiFi

Anything around 10-12 k ?
Old 11th November 2010, 12:36   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

1. 3G
3. WiFi

Should be Galaxy 3, its will cost you 11.5 k.
Old 11th November 2010, 13:24   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Oh my. Why should your desktop hang? That's got nothing to do with the upgrade process. If you are coming to the lavasa meet this weekend or anytime to pune, come home. We can try the upgrade on my laptop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Raj, Please take time to go to Xperia X10 section of XDA Developers website and you can find all information about how to update to 2.1.

I have already provided the XDA thread link in my reply to Revtech a few posts back. In less than 5 minutes, your phone can be on 2.1.

thanks a lot friends. I have updated my phone to 2.1 & it works like a charm!

I just love the Live wallpapers & HD recording! the new UI looks ultra cool & all the new softwares works like a dream. Finally, i am very happy that i chose this over the iPhone.
Old 11th November 2010, 14:11   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Another day, another issue. My phone seems to be hell bent on giving trouble. Nowadays I'm facing issue with connecting to internet via Wi-Fi. Strangest thing is that all google related apps work(gmail, gtalk, google maps, google search etc) but nothing other than works. Whenever I try to open a website it just stops after sometime saying "Data connectivity problem. The server failed to communicate. Try again later." No facebook, no twitter, no yahoo mail, nada, nothing. This stupid thing is driving me nuts and there seems to be no solution for it. I've kind started hating google for making such crappy software.
Two things I can suggest.

1. Well just check if the same sites work on other device at the same time or not. If not then change the DNS setting on your router from default ( your ISPs) to some open free DNS such as 8.8.8.8 ( provided by Google).

2. Sometimes it is problem due to lingering time that is if you are using DHCP then DHCP server times out the assigned IP , renewing the IP helps.

Reboot the phone and try if it helps. If this is the case go to DHCP settings of you WiFi router and increase the timeout value to more then 24 hours.
Old 11th November 2010, 14:52   #577
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys , I just picked up a samsung galaxy s and installed some applications. I noticed alot of applications ( voice recorder/gtalk/ymail etc) automatically start running in the background without me selecting them .Can i disable all the applications from running on their own and make them run only when i click on the respective icon? thanks
Old 11th November 2010, 14:57   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

1. 3G
3. WiFi

Why dont you check out the newly launched DELL XCD. one of the models is priced at 10,990/-. Andriod 2.1.
Old 11th November 2010, 15:13   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Two things I can suggest.

1. Well just check if the same sites work on other device at the same time or not. If not then change the DNS setting on your router from default ( your ISPs) to some open free DNS such as 8.8.8.8 ( provided by Google).
Nope, the sites are working from my laptop. That's not the issue for sure.

Quote:
2. Sometimes it is problem due to lingering time that is if you are using DHCP then DHCP server times out the assigned IP , renewing the IP helps.

Reboot the phone and try if it helps. If this is the case go to DHCP settings of you WiFi router and increase the timeout value to more then 24 hours.
Rebooted the phone few times. Didn't help. Don't think it's a DHCP issue as in this case even the google applications wouldn't have worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Hi guys , I just picked up a samsung galaxy s and installed some applications. I noticed alot of applications ( voice recorder/gtalk/ymail etc) automatically start running in the background without me selecting them .Can i disable all the applications from running on their own and make them run only when i click on the respective icon? thanks
Install Advanced Task Killer and then add the Widget to your homescreen. And now you just need to touch the widget to kill all those buggers .
Old 11th November 2010, 15:20   #580
Senior - BHPian

@ kaushik s : thanks for the reply mate. i have task killer installed and thats how i know i had running applications. but can i not stop them from running completely until desired?
Old 11th November 2010, 15:36   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Rebooted the phone few times. Didn't help. Don't think it's a DHCP issue as in this case even the google applications wouldn't have worked.
Are you sure Google applications work or they just appear to work ? I have observed that on my phone Google home page does not throw error as it gets displayed from cached content , Similarly gmail shows the old mails and no new mail download happens but it shows no error either in such scenario. Where as facebook app show explicit connection error.

If Google Apps are working and google sites are accessible then it points to a DNS resolution issue becuase there is nothing to filter traffic based on the websites in between.
Does restarting the modem-router solve the issue ?
Old 11th November 2010, 15:53   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Also download AutoStart Killer. This should take care of all autostart applications.
Old 11th November 2010, 16:58   #583
Senior - BHPian

Help in Connecting to a Broadband LAN.

I have a BSNL broadband connection at home with a modem that also has a wireless connection. This shows up in the wi-fi list of my phone. But there is no option to provide the user name and password to connect to it. Is this possible by Android 2.1? How do I do that? My phone is the Samsung Galaxy Spica.

-Biju
Old 11th November 2010, 17:05   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I have a BSNL broadband connection at home with a modem that also has a wireless connection. This shows up in the wi-fi list of my phone. But there is no option to provide the user name and password to connect to it. Is this possible by Android 2.1? How do I do that? My phone is the Samsung Galaxy Spica.

-Biju
If you are securing your wifi using WPA/PSK2 you have only one key to enter.
Once the network appears in the WiFi list just tap on it , If it is secured then a popup window will appear where you can enter the key/ If it is unsecured on tap it will try to get IP from the network directly without any popup.
Old 11th November 2010, 17:15   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure Google applications work or they just appear to work ? I have observed that on my phone Google home page does not throw error as it gets displayed from cached content , Similarly gmail shows the old mails and no new mail download happens but it shows no error either in such scenario. Where as facebook app show explicit connection error.
Pretty sure about google apps being working. Just now refreshed gmail and I got the new mails and now it's showing same new mails as my laptop browser is showing. Also I'm getting gtalk IM's(haven't tried replying though) and google maps is also getting properly updated.

Quote:
If Google Apps are working and google sites are accessible then it points to a DNS resolution issue becuase there is nothing to filter traffic based on the websites in between.
That;s why it's very very strange to me. If every google application works then other internet based apps also should. But somehow something is amiss, dunno what. It's not just facebook or twitter, any website I try to open is not opening. I tried to do google search and it shows me the search results in a jiffy but once I click the links it just doesn't go anywhere. Checked the imdb app also, not working. BTW, strangely the stock ticker is working

Quote:
Does restarting the modem-router solve the issue ?
Nope, restarted the modem/router many times in last few days.

Most Viewed