Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2012, 13:37   #8761
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanonwheels View Post
Just got the Note. Love the first look. Data plan isnt active yet so havent really used apps and browser. Also, fits in my jeans pocket and doesnt feel that big. It will be a matter of getting used to it IMO...

Will post update once its fully functional

Welcome to the Note club. I am sure you would love it, you would be left with no other option.

One down side with Note is, you cannot go to any other phone once you get used to this. Once on Note, always on Note!!
Old 26th April 2012, 14:59   #8762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, fits in my jeans pocket and doesnt feel that big.
Is it safe to do that ? Because I had to replace my Nokia's touchscreen display because I used to always carry my phone that way.
Old 26th April 2012, 15:22   #8763
BHPian

@esteem lover - I am using the leather flip cover for the phone. is it still going to pose a risk to the display of the phone?
Old 26th April 2012, 15:32   #8764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, fits in my jeans pocket and doesnt feel that big.
Are you really really sure that you got yourself a Note
Old 26th April 2012, 16:10   #8765
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

I am re joining the Android wagon after weeks of debtaing between Android vs Win OS. I have ordered the Motorola Defy + and it should be with me in a day or 2. I know a lot has been spoken about it, but for my budget of 15k, i found Defy + to be the best available handset. The other Droid based fone was Galaxy ACE, but i used to have a Galaxy i9003 and hence using ACE wasnt going to be very exciting.

I did read and see some reviews for the Defy+ and got to know that the battery is pretty nice. The only confusion i have is about the Front facing camera? Spec sheet clearly states NO for front facing camera and one or 2 reviews i saw it mentioned about Defy+ having front facing camera.

Any defy+ users here who can clarify this doubt for me please. Also any inputs on the fone too. The order has already been placed and i shall get the Phone by weekend.

Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 16:31   #8766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I have ordered the Motorola Defy + and it should be with me in a day or 2. I know a lot has been spoken about it, but for my budget of 15k, i found Defy + to be the best available handset. The other Droid based fone was Galaxy ACE, but i used to have a Galaxy i9003 and hence using ACE wasnt going to be very exciting.

I did read and see some reviews for the Defy+ and got to know that the battery is pretty nice. The only confusion i have is about the Front facing camera? Spec sheet clearly states NO for front facing camera and one or 2 reviews i saw it mentioned about Defy+ having front facing camera.

Search for my posts on this thread on the Defy+.

I bought mine brand new packed piece and in 4 days flat the screen started acting up. Took me 2 whole weeks to get a replacement and by then a lot of research (and even another defy+ owner at the service center) advised me not to go for another defy+.

The phone is built like a tank and i bought it after i fell for that robustness but it is riddled with issues. Almost everywhere i looked people complained of Wifi disconnection issues, phone reboot issues (the OP at the service center said his phone reboots 50 times a day and Moto is not able to resolve the issue even after keeping the phone for 1.5 months with them), etc.

Motorola is pretty much done for in the indian market is what almost everyone says. Must be true as their customer service is in the pits. They took 14 days to approve letter known as dead on arrival or DOA letter (all they had to do was approve the DOA so the service center could put their seal on the letter and give it to me so i could avail a new piece).

There is no front camera so no video calls are possible. Battery is OK. Does not last as long as my new Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus (which was in a replacement for the moto defy+).

Word of advice - cancel your order and go with the samsung galaxy ace plus. The camera in the defy+ sucks and the one in the ace+ is far better. If you dont want the ace+ since you already had the ace earlier go with HTC. Go back a few posts/pages for reviews and suggestions from people on HTC.

Last edited by n_aditya : 26th April 2012 at 16:34.
Old 26th April 2012, 17:04   #8767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

Word of advice - cancel your order and go with the samsung galaxy ace plus. The camera in the defy+ sucks and the one in the ace+ is far better. If you dont want the ace+ since you already had the ace earlier go with HTC. Go back a few posts/pages for reviews and suggestions from people on HTC.
Thanks a lot for your advise on this. Really scared me so i took your advise and cancelled my order. Must say Flipkart is awesome. I emailed them about cancellataion and in 3 mins flat i recd a cancellation confirmation from their end. Shall do some more research and take a decision.

Thanks once again.
Old 26th April 2012, 17:29   #8768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
That's great. Please post a screenshot of free RAM right after boot up and after some usage. I am worried only about this, sony has been not so good in RAM management of their ROMs. Also, any change in quality of camera ?
I don't remember exactly but free RAM immediately after boot was around 120mb. Didn't get to taste much of ICS as I had to give my phone to service center for screen replacement. The screen had got 3 horizontal stripes which had become non-responsive.
Old 26th April 2012, 17:40   #8769
BHPian

Quote:
Shall do some more research and take a decision.
get the ace plus for 14290 on ebay with free bluetooth set.

if you up your budget slightly you can consider the HTC One V or Sony Neo V for around 17k.
Old 26th April 2012, 17:40   #8770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your advise on this. Really scared me so i took your advise and cancelled my order. Must say Flipkart is awesome. I emailed them about cancellataion and in 3 mins flat i recd a cancellation confirmation from their end. Shall do some more research and take a decision.

Thanks once again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

Search for my posts on this thread on the Defy+.

I bought mine brand new packed piece and in 4 days flat the screen started acting up. Took me 2 whole weeks to get a replacement and by then a lot of research (and even another defy+ owner at the service center) advised me not to go for another defy+.

The phone is built like a tank and i bought it after i fell for that robustness but it is riddled with issues. Almost everywhere i looked people complained of Wifi disconnection issues, phone reboot issues (the OP at the service center said his phone reboots 50 times a day and Moto is not able to resolve the issue even after keeping the phone for 1.5 months with them), etc.

Motorola is pretty much done for in the indian market is what almost everyone says. Must be true as their customer service is in the pits. They took 14 days to approve letter known as dead on arrival or DOA letter (all they had to do was approve the DOA so the service center could put their seal on the letter and give it to me so i could avail a new piece).

There is no front camera so no video calls are possible. Battery is OK. Does not last as long as my new Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus (which was in a replacement for the moto defy+).

Dudes,

With due respect, N_A is pretty much the ONLY chap out of 50+ BHPians who have the Defy/Defy+ who had such issues. I agree it has been a bad experience but for God's sake the ace plus is a crappier phone on almost all parameters. We've been through that comparison many times. You can see Neo etc but not Ace!

@Harshal - Since when did you start going on single user reports? For each phone, including the SGSL I can show you users who have had problems or didn't like it. Even a friend sold his SGS2 and went back to iPhone.

For what its worth - as someone who installs ROMs almost every week, I have NEVER had random reboots just like that. Wifi disconnection is only an issue in some nightlies of CM - its not a standard problem on Defys.

I managed to shatter my Defy's screen. Replaced it in 20 min flat. Bad customer service? My foot.

Readers should realise that N_A's experience will take time in any service center since they will first try/escalate the problem at multiple levels before refunding the money. 2 weeks is not great, but its not bad either considering India is not US where they have NQA returns!!

N_A Dude,

YOUR phone had issues. Granted. DOA took time, granted. But don't spend canards about the phone basis hearsay when there are 50+ BHPians who have had this phone who have "lived" with this phone for an year or so. Can you let us speak about the problems of this phone?

@Harshal - Forget me - speak to Samurai? He can advise about the phone since he's completed an year.

Last edited by phamilyman : 26th April 2012 at 17:44.
Old 26th April 2012, 17:56   #8771
BHPian

Galaxy Nexus is $399 on Expansys US. Interesting!
Old 26th April 2012, 18:10   #8772
Senior - BHPian

^^^ +1 to every word of that Phamilyman.

Sad to hear about N_A's experience, but none of the people I know with Defys are having such issues. WiFi too is above average. On the other hand, HTC phones like the Desire S are known to have weak WiFi sensitivity. Yes, the cam on Defy+ is below average and thats perhaps the only (but major) drawback of the phone. And personally, I don't like its looks and bulk.

Samsung just does not currently have anything in its line up that is interesting compared to the competition. An Xperia or HTC would be much better anytime.

As for the Neo V in particular, got a chance to give it a ride somewhere. First thing that I was disappointed was the build quality. Its just barely tolerable. Worst are the two rubber/plastic flaps/covers on the top. Extremely thin and flimsy. I'm sure they will break off soon. And then you'll have a phone that looks broken from the top. Dust and stuff will also find its way inside. I doubt you will be able to replace them. Comparatively, the Xperia Ray feels significantly better. SE should learn something about build quality from HTC. That said, I'm not saying the Neo V is not worth buying for other reasons. All phones have their strong and weak points.

As for the HTC One V - HTC has given a GPS chip but no magnetometer!! That will make it useless for navigation. The non-removable battery is another bright idea that made me reject the phone right away. Wonder what is HTCs strategy in doing this, but I'm not at all pleased. Even an El cheapo 5-6 k android has a magnetometer (as long as it has GPS) and removable battery.

Another phone worth consideration could be the Optimus Black.

Last edited by Raccoon : 26th April 2012 at 18:38.
Old 26th April 2012, 18:20   #8773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
@Harshal - Forget me - speak to Samurai? He can advise about the phone since he's completed an year.
I went through "buying my next android" some time back and Phamilyman and Samurai were very helpful in answering my queries.

Infact, less than 12 hours after I bought the phone - I had it rooted [I did not understand root etc etc] and within a week was running Custom ROM. My suggestion - Instead of ordering online etc..try to go to a store and "feel" the phone, its display, its speed, its waterproof ability, etc etc. This was told to me and I am sharing it with prospective Defy/Defy+ owners.

I also got this addiction to flashing ROMs every 2 days or so and have almost "bricked" my phone - The mobile repair walla said "motherboard" gone and I was frustrated - I sat with my phone and it was up and running 6 late night hours later thanks to reading up on XDA as to how to get it to work. I made the mistake and went into "that" state - so recovery was a little painful

The Defy is a great phone to live with and there are not many in that budget that can catch up with its features!

And it is NOT brick able easily!!

Last edited by headers : 26th April 2012 at 18:29.
Old 26th April 2012, 18:35   #8774
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
@esteem lover - I am using the leather flip cover for the phone. is it still going to pose a risk to the display of the phone?

Whats the current price of the Note? I got mine for 32+K around december.

Welcome to the note club.

PS: Did I get that right? A woman who does not find the Note too big?

--Rahul
Old 26th April 2012, 18:48   #8775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
N_A Dude, YOUR phone had issues. Granted. DOA took time, granted. But don't spend canards about the phone basis hearsay when there are 50+ BHPians who have had this phone who have "lived" with this phone for an year or so. Can you let us speak about the problems of this phone?
Sure Phamilyman, You are free to talk about the phone. When has anyone stopped you?

maybe it was a one-off case that my phone had issues. But what should have taken a week for the DOA took 2 weeks. Plus the service center chap himself told me that the defy+ models were having complaints so its not completely hearsay --> since i visited xda developers forum and quite a few complained about reboots, same with other forums as well. I posted on Motorola fb page and no response whatsoever from the company. I was given the ph. no. of one Mr. Jagadeesan who is the regional head for motorola and despite 20 calls a day no response. Called customer service toll free number and a complaint was supposedly registered and supposedly because when i called the third time for status it was not registered since there was no complaint number. The service center was far more helpful than the company themselves since they were patient enough to answer my calls and provide a status and push the technician for a follow-up on the issue.

So if this is not bad customer service its not good either, at least for me. It may be your foot but then to each his own.

My intention was not to mislead someone if thats what it looks like. In my case of course, motorola failed to deliver and its no more moto for me. I'm happy with my samsung and others happy with their moto's.

Most Viewed