Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2012, 09:30   #9571
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Speed.Demon; a good newbie write up. I normally do not use sync. I installed it to install the drivers, then removed the sync. I bet a lot of experienced users do. For contacts the best way is to use gmail as the repository. When I moved to htc from BB I moved my contacts to gmail and then linked to that to update my contacts.

I find the sense interface as one of the best. Now you may wish to 'root' your phone. I will suggest you look up Android & Windows Phone: Tablets, Apps, & ROMs @ xda-developers the Mecca of all smartphone users (esp Android).
Thank you very much.

Hmm, yes I should have used Gmail instead of fiddling around with the Sync. Ah well, will remember this the next time around.

As for rooting, will the guys at the service centre be able to find out that

I've rooted the phone? Because the chaps at the dealer told me that the

extended warranty that I've bought will be thrown out the window the

second I root the phone.
Old 10th June 2012, 10:11   #9572
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
As for rooting, will the guys at the service centre be able to find out that

I've rooted the phone? Because the chaps at the dealer told me that the

extended warranty that I've bought will be thrown out the window the

second I root the phone.
I think you were silly getting the extended warranty. It has more holes than Swiss cheese.

True, the warranty goes out as soon as you root. But you can restore the system (99+% of the time) to the pre-root condition, then nobody will know. I have both my Incredible2 (CDMA& GSM) as well as Wildfire S rooted. Sono issues.
Old 10th June 2012, 11:35   #9573
BHPian

Some queries I want to ask to all those Samsung users who have got their ICS update. I think only S2 and Note users have got ICS update.

1. Have you received 4.0.3 or 4.0.4? I use SGS2 and I got 4.0.3 update. I have read at number of places that 4.0.3 is buggy. What version of ICS is on SGS3?

2. When you open up the Qwerty keypad on your device for typing something do you get a keyboard sign on the top? Sometimes I get annoyed seeing that sign – Is it possible to disable that sign?

3. Earlier on Gingerbread you had options like turning on/off background data and Auto Sync. I usually used to disable both. When background data was off you would not be able to access the Play Store but apps like Whatsapp used to function – by function I mean I used to receive Whatsapp notifications even when I was not using the phone. Now in ICS, the background data option is in Data usage section. However when I disable that option Whatsapp gives me notifications only when I open the app. I mean I want the notifications to come as and when a friend messages me (like it used to happen on GB 2.3.6), not when I unlock my phone and open Whatsapp. Am I doing something wrong here? Is there an option which I have not selected because of which this is happening?

I know these are small things but I fail to understand why has Google changed things which required no changes. I mean these things were already simple and easy to use – Why they need to change that? My battery life is almost similar to what I was getting on GB 2.3.6.
Old 10th June 2012, 12:30   #9574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil

1. Have you received 4.0.3 or 4.0.4? I use SGS2 and I got 4.0.3 update.

2. When you open up the Qwerty keypad on your device for typing something do you get a keyboard sign on the top?

3. Earlier on Gingerbread you had options like turning on/off background data and Auto Sync. I usually used to disable both.
1. Im on the note and i received 4.0.3 too. It seems from online opinions that 4.0.4 is much more stable and more efficient battery usage.

My 4.0.3 sometimes becomes unstable. It hangs with the screen going black but the notification area remaining intact. And sometimes i require to press home button twice to exit the app. Even while browsing teambhp mobile app or gtalk for that matter, sometimes i see a lag. Like when i swipe down the page, the whole operation seems to go very slow, something like in windows when the RAM is too low. But this happens when i have 300mb free ram on my note.
Overall not that satisfied with ics. GB was atleast stabler even if 5 6 apps were open.

2. Yes the keyboard sign is present in mine too. Dont know how to get rid of it. I want to get rid of the entire notif bar icons and replace them with the go launcher ones. Right now the go launcher ones are occupying the notif bar but the default ones are also present.

3. I went to the sync setings and enabled sync with whatsapp when even i wasnt getting the notifications. That resolved my issue.

Regards
Old 10th June 2012, 14:17   #9575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

3. I went to the sync setings and enabled sync with whatsapp when even i wasnt getting the notifications. That resolved my issue.

Regards
Where is this? Settings - Accounts and Sync?
Old 10th June 2012, 14:21   #9576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil

Where is this? Settings - Accounts and Sync?
Yes. Then click on the sync icons beside the accounts you want to sync. They turn green when enabled. I selectively allow only gmail and whatsapp to sync. Facebook, twitter etc are all turned off.
Hope it helped.
Old 11th June 2012, 00:57   #9577
BHPian

UPDATE:
After 3 days with the Explorer:

I have tested the battery, it seemed to last for 1day, and 19hours. I think that's quite good considering that the phone has been used quite heavily.

Heavy use includes around 1.5 hours of Web surfing on WiFi + Network data, Voice guided GPS Navigation for a 10km journey, downloading and installing a few apps, and around 2 hours of voice calls and around 40 sms messages.

The settings in my phone :

1. Display brightness set to automatic ( ambient light sensor )
2. ALL vibrations turned off.
3. Turn off wireless radios (GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth) when they are not needed.

PS - I am NOT using any battery saving apps.

That's it for now, I will update more on the Explorer in the coming days.

Cheers!!
Old 11th June 2012, 10:53   #9578
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally got the Note on Saturday and upgraded to ICS. Performing really well and simply loved the HUGE screen!

Shall upload a couple of photos soon.

Thanks guys for your suggestions.
Old 11th June 2012, 11:07   #9579
BHPian

After studying multiple options and a lot of visits to various shops for demo, I seem to be inclining towards Samsung Galaxy S Advance. I am being quoted price of 23K for the same. I had few questions:

1. What are the chances that S Advance MAY NOT get ICS update? Samsung shop's officials are non Committal towards ICS update. On one hand they say that it will be available next month. However, when I ask them if it is announced by Samsung or is it their gut feeling? they step back and say that ther has been no official announcement.

2. Is it cheaper to buy phones in US then in India? I have a friend of mine traveling from US to India next month. I can ask him to get me an unlocked phone if its cheaper there. However, a quick glance on Amazon does not show strong price difference. Please guide.

3. Is there any strong reason why I should NOT buy this phone that I am overlooking? Please alert if you see any such point.

Thanking you,
Old 11th June 2012, 11:16   #9580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav_mankad
After studying multiple options and a lot of visits to various shops for demo, I seem to be inclining towards Samsung Galaxy S Advance. I am being quoted price of 23K for the same.
In that budget please also have a look at Motorola Atrix 2. It is really VFM and is better than S Advance. S advance IMO is a bit overpriced for the specs it is offering. Are you a first time android user? If possible do mention what all you will be using the phone for. It will help others in suggesting the appropriate phone.
Old 11th June 2012, 11:27   #9581
Team-BHP Support

Wife wanted OS upgrade on her HTC Wildfire S. So I thought I'll install some custom ROM. But the first hurdle is unlocking the bootloader. Yesterday I spent 3 hours trying to unlock the damn bootloader, but it just didn't budge. None of the methods found in HTCDev or XDA or somewhere else failed to work. The current software is 1.35.720.3 and none of the RUU I tried would upgrade it to higher version.

Has anyone managed to unlock the bootloader on the Indian Wildfire S?
Old 11th June 2012, 11:51   #9582
Senior - BHPian

I finally made it to the Motorola Service station for the dead pixel issue on my Atrix 2. They have agreed to replace the screen, but it seems the phone has to be sent to the factory in Chennai for the replacement and it will take 7 days

Even though its so small and barely noticeable, I know its there and keep searching for it. Think i'll just give it to them and get it changed.

On the other hand, Motorola has just released an update for the Atrix 2. I have got the new ICS like lock screen. Apart from that, no visible changes, but the phone has got faster.
Old 11th June 2012, 11:54   #9583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Wife wanted OS upgrade on her HTC Wildfire S. So I thought I'll install some custom ROM. But the first hurdle is unlocking the bootloader. Yesterday I spent 3 hours trying to unlock the damn bootloader, but it just didn't budge. None of the methods found in HTCDev or XDA or somewhere else failed to work. The current software is 1.35.720.3 and none of the RUU I tried would upgrade it to higher version.

Has anyone managed to unlock the bootloader on the Indian Wildfire S?
I did it for my wife Wildfire S. You need to choose hTC Asia India RUU (not Indian vodafone). Exact RUU I can tell you after I access my home computer. I think before s-offing the same I first let phone to update itself then did s-off.

There is always the problem with copying and pasting key on site. But after two tries it did gave me update file to unlock the boot loader.
Old 11th June 2012, 11:56   #9584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
In that budget please also have a look at Motorola Atrix 2. It is really VFM and is better than S Advance. S advance IMO is a bit overpriced for the specs it is offering. Are you a first time android user? If possible do mention what all you will be using the phone for. It will help others in suggesting the appropriate phone.
Thank you Saanil! Yes I am first time android user. I will be using my phone primarily for:
1. Applications ( of all sort - in-car, GPS based, Navigation etc..)
2. Browsing/Internet
3. Mails
4. Photography/Vidoe Recording

I did look at Motorola Atrix 2. It indeed is a brilliantly speced phone. However, I did not quite like the display and UI. I found Samsung's display to be quite clear and bright.
The other phone that I liked was HTC One V. However, lack of front camera and single core processor ( not future ready! ) is putting me off.

Pranav
Old 11th June 2012, 12:14   #9585
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
I did it for my wife Wildfire S. You need to choose hTC Asia India RUU (not Indian vodafone). Exact RUU I can tell you after I access my home computer.
Yes, that is the one I tried first.

hTC Asia India 2.13.720.1 PG7610000

Filename: PG7610000_Marvel_hboot_1.08.0099_20111216.exe

It failed saying it can't move from 1.35.720.3 to 2.17.xx version. It wanted me to upgrade to 2.13.720.1 first.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks