Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2012, 01:11   #10801
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
For anyone thinking of buying the Galaxy S3, there's a Homeshop 18 superdeal for it coming up starting at midnight today. (These deals sometimes last only a few hours, so you may want to order it as soon as it opens)

HomeShop18.com Superdeals: Samsung Galaxy S3, Apple iPad 3, HTC Desire C, Sony Vaio, Dwarika Kurti-Legging Combo, Vivanta Jewellery Combo

They haven't specified the prices yet, but extrapolating from their recent super deals it should be in the 33K to 35K range. (The lowest online price I saw elsewhere is around 37K).
Hey Kala, Thank You for the link to the Super Deal. Bought an iPad 3 Wi Fi + 4G from HS18 from your link. Got delivered last week.

Although the better half is blaming you for the extravagance , Thanks Again
Old 20th August 2012, 01:30   #10802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
Hey Kala, Thank You for the link to the Super Deal. Bought an iPad 3 Wi Fi + 4G from HS18 from your link. Got delivered last week.

Although the better half is blaming you for the extravagance , Thanks Again
For how much ? If you don't mind sharing the price.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 20th August 2012, 09:20   #10803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
A few questions on email apps for Samsung Galaxy S3. Would appreciate your response as this is my first android:

1. Is Touchdown the best email client for Exchange mails? The native exchange client does not allow to search folders, sort mails etc. However, paying for an App on Android seems absurd as the whole idea of using an android over iPhone was to be able to access free apps.
2. The native email client gives the number of unread mails count next to the "Email" icon in addition to a notification on the top left of the screen. I could not find any such unread count on the home screen while using Touchdown. Is there another App out there that can do this in addition to Touchdown?
3. Can Touchdown be used to configure Gmail as the native Gmail client on S3 doesn't give a count of unread mails either, except a notification on the top left.
4. How is K9 in comparison to touchdown as it is free?
5. My key concern is that both Exchange mail and Gmail should show the count of unread mails on the home screen. I am not happy dragging the notification bar every time a mail comes in. The Home Screen should show the exact number of unread messages in 3 separate icons named - "Messages", "Gmail", "Exchange Mail".
Check this app for unread count for Gmail

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mVhZGNvdW50Il0.

For exchange, I am using an app called "Enhanced Email". They have a widget icon which shows unread count. It also allows to search and sort mail.
Old 20th August 2012, 13:47   #10804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
The Samsung Galaxy Google Nexus I9250 HSPA+ GSM unlocked. Retails at Play Store for USD 349+taxes. If you have a friend to bring it down for you, nothing beats it at that price. Else buy from grey market here for 23-25k.
Agree on the reco, but not mode of purchase. ebay has some sellers with seller warranty for 25k, 24k net with coupon.

We were getting it from US at around jus under 22k incl taxes (which made the whole request someone and then go over to collect etc effort a waste).

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I did check out the prices and i am getting some crazy rates. Dont remember seeing so much difference ever for any products.

1. Flipkart : Rs. 13999
2. Buytheprice: Rs.13,450
3. Infibeam : Rs.12,750 ( 13299 - 550 cash back)

Has anyone ever used Infibeam? reliable?
Used them for over 15k of purchases over multiple items. They are now the favorite ecom in my office because of undercutting flipkart in every single product!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
THAT is the phone to watch. I have friends who advise it as a total VFM buy - a pseudo S2 competitor. At its price, it can't be beat for sheer VFM - but nil brand value
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
It seems absurd to pay somebody for his hard work? This view about Android may well sound its death knell if it continues. Please take a minute to read my earlier post here.
+1, TANSTAAFL. THAT is why i wish Apple was cheaper. If only it didn't cost such a bomb for what is now outdated hardware (iphone4 - which is like 33k new!!)
Old 20th August 2012, 14:38   #10805
BHPian

Ebay has put out a deal out today for Pure google experience lovers.

The Samsung Galaxy Nexus is at a price of 23990 with 1 year dealer warranty. Just booked one now.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-gn.jpg
Old 20th August 2012, 14:58   #10806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
What is the lowest street price of HTC One V?

Spice Hotspot stores are selling in the range of 18000-18500 range.

Any recommended place except hotspot to buy this phone in Delhi/NCR region?

PS - I am not open to online purchase.

Thanks for members here, I picked-up the Xperia U for 13000 (from Indraprast Grey market)and exchanged the 2 yr old Moto Quench for 3k, so a net purchase of 10 for a Dual Core phone is a good deal.

@Bluevolt: HTC One V seems to have issues with Battery and screen. I was keen on picking that up instead of the Xperia. I have read about it in user comments online and dealer in Mumbai. For battery issues, HTC replaced Battery and circuit board for several users. Just get some more thoughts/reviews from users.

Last edited by Zenster : 20th August 2012 at 15:02.
Old 20th August 2012, 15:17   #10807
Distinguished - BHPian

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Teaser? That's what Samsung said. Waiting for the big day.

Old 20th August 2012, 16:09   #10808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Agree on the reco, but not mode of purchase. ebay has some sellers with seller warranty for 25k, 24k net with coupon.

We were getting it from US at around jus under 22k incl taxes (which made the whole request someone and then go over to collect etc effort a waste).
I feel seller/dealer warranty is as good as no warranty, especially if the seller city is not the same as yours na?

In such a case, it is rather better to buy from a trusted grey market seller (yeah, sounds oxymoron) e.g. Alfa in Mumbai.

I too got the Nexus for 21.8k from Play Store *unfortunately when the exchange rate was against me. Another friend bought it a few days after me and got it for around 21k. This is when Alfa prices were hovering around 25-26k. Now that has also come down to 23-24k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Ebay has put out a deal out today for Pure google experience lovers.

The Samsung Galaxy Nexus is at a price of 23990 with 1 year dealer warranty. Just booked one now.
This is interesting. And the seller has tied up with ServePro for warranty. Anyone used this company before? Can imported phones be registered with them for warranty services?

On another front - Motorola has finally released it's Bootlock Unloader website.

Currently only Photon 4G and Xoom are supported but expect to have other devices coming in soon.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 20th August 2012 at 16:15.
Old 20th August 2012, 16:19   #10809
BHPian

Quote:

This is interesting. And the seller has tied up with ServePro for warranty. Anyone used this company before? Can imported phones be registered with them for warranty services?
Talked to the seller before buying , told me that within a years time they do any kind of servicing , replacement of defective parts if any. Maybe you can drop in/call and check with them. they are present in almost all major cities.

Now comes the hard part, dunno for some reason the seller has mentioned the phone is not up-gradable to JB on their ebay page. Dunno why is that.

I know that there are 3 different builds for the G-Nexus i.e. yakju , takju (both get official updates from google) & non-yakju (Samsung pushes the update after delay)

Can G-Nexus users shed more info on this?

Last edited by redrage : 20th August 2012 at 16:24.
Old 20th August 2012, 16:24   #10810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
A90 price should fall in a few weeks from now. Hope they introduce some color options as well.

At 10-11K, this will be a steal.
Old 20th August 2012, 17:16   #10811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel seller/dealer warranty is as good as no warranty, especially if the seller city is not the same as yours na?

In such a case, it is rather better to buy from a trusted grey market seller (yeah, sounds oxymoron) e.g. Alfa in Mumbai.

On another front - Motorola has finally released it's Bootlock Unloader website.

Currently only Photon 4G and Xoom are supported but expect to have other devices coming in soon.
I agree with you nishant. Seller warranty is as good as "NO Warranty" Its not that the all sellers always going to have the repair facilities and if they decide to give a replacement over the counter for each faulty piece, they would go crazy. Anyways, coming to the ServPro for Warranty; it seems they are catching up pretty fast. I came across this listing on ebay.in for unlocked Motorola Photon 4G from a seller in Ahmedabad and they too provide a 1 year ServePro warranty. I contacted them if i would get to see the phone before placing order, but unfortunately all their units are box n sealed.

18890/- & with official Bootlock Unloader website this phone is going to be a playground for dev community

BRAND NEW MOTOROLA PHOTON 4G MB855 UNLOCKED FOR ALL GSM NTWK + CASH ON DELIVERY | eBay

Regards,
Old 20th August 2012, 17:31   #10812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Talked to the seller before buying , told me that within a years time they do any kind of servicing , replacement of defective parts if any. Maybe you can drop in/call and check with them. they are present in almost all major cities.

Now comes the hard part, dunno for some reason the seller has mentioned the phone is not up-gradable to JB on their ebay page. Dunno why is that.

I know that there are 3 different builds for the G-Nexus i.e. yakju , takju (both get official updates from google) & non-yakju (Samsung pushes the update after delay)

Can G-Nexus users shed more info on this?
Honestly, I don't know anything about this 'yakju/takju/etc' codenames. All I can tell you is that I bought a G-Nexus from Play Store in the US. As soon as I popped in my Vodafone SIM in Mumbai and switched it on, it told me that JB update is available.

If you can tell me where to check these codenames, I can get back to you with details.

Quote:
18890/- & with official Bootlock Unloader website this phone is going to be a playground for dev community

BRAND NEW MOTOROLA PHOTON 4G MB855 UNLOCKED FOR ALL GSM NTWK + CASH ON DELIVERY | eBay

Regards,
But h@r$h@l, if you officially unlock the BootLoader from the website, the warranty is going to be voided immediately. I guess a safer way is to install 2nd-init and keep it in multi boot mode right?
Old 20th August 2012, 17:33   #10813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But h@r$h@l, if you officially unlock the BootLoader from the website, the warranty is going to be voided immediately. I guess a safer way is to install 2nd-init and keep it in multi boot mode right?
I thought that if You are officially unlocking the bootloader it would not affect warranty. I am not 100% certain on this. AFAIK; the moment you root; warranty is out of the window.
Old 20th August 2012, 17:39   #10814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought that if You are officially unlocking the bootloader it would not affect warranty. I am not 100% certain on this. AFAIK; the moment you root; warranty is out of the window.
I just checked that website. There is a clear disclaimer they will void the warranty if you proceed. And as for rooting, you can unroot na? But I'm not sure if you can re-lock the bootloader?
Old 20th August 2012, 17:47   #10815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just checked that website. There is a clear disclaimer they will void the warranty if you proceed. And as for rooting, you can unroot na? But I'm not sure if you can re-lock the bootloader?
Dont worry about that. In case you have to take your phone to service center you can simply unroot it by flashing the correct sbf file using the Motorola RDSLite software.

What i would recon is you read through the links i PMed you a couple of times and go for the rooting / 2ndint / CM9 or 10 flashing etc all when you free over a weekend. Once you done with it for the first time, updating and changing trying different builts will be a ball game for you.

It took me good 2 months since i bought the defy+ and endless pm's and posts to vw2010, SUN, Bhpmaniac,phamiilyman etc before i took the plunge

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks