Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2013, 17:47   #15541
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
1) How do I load apps from my laptop to the phone. I don't have Wifi at the moment and hence I am trying to find an alternative to using the precious mobile bandwidth to download apps .
You can do this 2 ways:

1. Google for <app name>.apk, download it and transfer it on your phone using the USB cable.

2. Assuming your laptop has inbuilt wifi, you can download a wifi hotspot software on your laptop and then share the connection with your phone.
Old 25th June 2013, 18:08   #15542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
You can do this 2 ways:

1. Google for <app name>.apk, download it and transfer it on your phone using the USB cable.

2. Assuming your laptop has inbuilt wifi, you can download a wifi hotspot software on your laptop and then share the connection with your phone.
Thanks for the quick reply prateekm,

I was reading about the same, however i am concerned about various sites warning about apps containing malware and that somehow sideloading can spoil the android os on the phone. Is it true ??
Old 25th June 2013, 18:20   #15543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
2. Contacts - All phones today are talking about consolidating all social networking contacts under People. All good. but, I've installed Linkedin on my phone and by default all my linkedin connection pop up in my contacts. 1000's of them. Not cool.
Is there any old school contacts app that will show only phone number and email id. thats it. no..not even whatsapp.
You don't need an app for that. At least on my Nexus 4, in 'Contacts to display', I can select which all categories (FB, G+, Whatsapp, Linkedin, etc) I want displayed in my phone contact list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Under accounts, you can deselect contact syn for LinkedIn. That should suffice.
You wont see LinkedIn contacts in your address book. You can do the same with Facebook too.
IMO, that is not an ideal solution, because then the Linkedin contacts won't get synced. What you want really is for your Linkedin contacts to get synced, but just not displayed in your phone contacts.
Old 25th June 2013, 19:19   #15544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
IMO, that is not an ideal solution, because then the Linkedin contacts won't get synced. What you want really is for your Linkedin contacts to get synced, but just not displayed in your phone contacts.
In Contacts/People--> View - you could select the sources of the contacts displayed in your phone. I see Phone/SIM/Google/LinkedIn/WhatsApp etc. as options that could be (un)checked.
Old 25th June 2013, 19:24   #15545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How do I load apps from my laptop to the phone. I don't have Wifi at the moment and hence I am trying to find an alternative to using the precious mobile bandwidth to download apps
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply prateekm,

I was reading about the same, however i am concerned about various sites warning about apps containing malware and that somehow sideloading can spoil the android os on the phone. Is it true ??
You can get reliable apks from the devs own threads (many have them on xda) or if you want to directly install from the play store, you can go the way prateekm suggested.

Configure a hotspot, share your laptop's lan over wifi and connect your phone to it. A simple program I have used for this purpose - connectify.

Though windows 7 onwards, you can do this without an app as well but connectify is the easiest way out without the need of using any cmd commands.
Old 25th June 2013, 19:42   #15546
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post

I think every maker has his own way. Also why would one like to sync a contact but not display it? I would rather not sync if I dont want it to display.

On second thoughts its one's requirement versus another. Cant really say anything about it.
Old 25th June 2013, 20:08   #15547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
BHPian neoonwheels uses a Dream D1. Do read his inputs here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3108807

HKS, do have look at Gionee Elife E3. It's much slimmer, has 4.7" display, 16 GB internal memory and microSD slot, android v4.2, 2MP front cam, user replaceable battery.

I use Elife E3
Yeh, I am using the D1 since couple of months now. I am pretty much happy with the phone. My main criterion was to have a good display which the D1 addresses with its awesome 720P HD Super AMOLED screen. The phone is quite fast and now has got good developer support as well.

The only issue that I am facing is that the GPS takes time in between 1 -3 mins for satellite lock. I guess all the MTK devices suffer this GPS issue. This is without having the 2G/3G data connection. With the connection I get lock in around a min and at times in 50 secs.

The Nokia 5800 that I had used to lock on GPS in around 20-30 secs. I am not sure if the chipset used in phone is of inferior quality.
Old 26th June 2013, 12:10   #15548
Senior - BHPian

Phones are not supposed to be around magnets, does a magnetic flip cover make sense then?

This is what I'm referring to.
Old 26th June 2013, 14:38   #15549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Phones are not supposed to be around magnets ...
Why? What will happen?

I thought phones generate a sufficiently strong magnetic field themselves, which is why one is advised not to keep mag-stripe cards (hotel keys, parking garage tokens etc.) near a phone. Believed it after my key wouldn't open the hotel door in the evening - I had kept it in my shirt pocket along with my phone!
Old 26th June 2013, 15:41   #15550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Just ordered Lumia 720 for 15,749/- on Amazon.in site. I guess I will be moving out of Android by next week. I may come back some day. I thoroughly enjoyed the Android experience (WajkIUI on CM7), much more than the iPhone. This thread has been a great support throughout my first and only android phone (Defy) ownership since April 2011. But I don't have strong loyalty towards any technology, so I want to checkout WP8 now. Wish me luck!
Good luck Its a good device, have tested for a couple days. Do check out if you're getting instant push for WhatsApp. 3 of my friends on 720 has this issue, they gets all WhatsApp messages terribly delayed while the 920 gets it instantly. And also, if you are using exchange active sync and your company is having a TMG installed, you may have trouble syncing your office mails. Do check and give a short review.
Old 26th June 2013, 15:51   #15551
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
And also, if you are using exchange active sync and your company is having a TMG installed, you may have trouble syncing your office mails.
I'll fire the guy who installs TMG. But, we are on google apps, so no issues. Anyway, let's not discuss WP in this thread.

Now, what kind of price I can sell the Defy for? It works perfectly.

Also, what is the process involved in swapping a mini-sim with micro-sim in case of Airtel. I know the sim cutting option, but I was hoping to get a new micro-sim instead. The old airtel mini-sims are not center aligned, so they don't fit well in sim-cutters. I had to cut my wife's sim myself since the shops refused.
Old 26th June 2013, 19:38   #15552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I'll fire the guy who installs TMG. But, we are on google apps, so no issues. Anyway, let's not discuss WP in this thread.

Now, what kind of price I can sell the Defy for? It works perfectly.

Also, what is the process involved in swapping a mini-sim with micro-sim in case of Airtel. I know the sim cutting option, but I was hoping to get a new micro-sim instead. The old airtel mini-sims are not center aligned, so they don't fit well in sim-cutters. I had to cut my wife's sim myself since the shops refused.
LOL, I would've done that if had an option to do that To get the SIM replaced, just walk in to any airtel stores and say you want to swap in for the micro sim. Its just a 5 mins job and the new SIM will be active within a couple of hours max. I had to give them ID proof also to get it done.
Old 27th June 2013, 08:57   #15553
BANNED

Any feedback on Xolo phones?
Old 27th June 2013, 09:27   #15554
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
To get the SIM replaced, just walk in to any airtel stores and say you want to swap in for the micro sim. Its just a 5 mins job and the new SIM will be active within a couple of hours max. I had to give them ID proof also to get it done.
Thanks, I'll take extra ID just in case.
Old 27th June 2013, 09:43   #15555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
Any feedback on Xolo phones?
I'm using the Xolo Q700 for past 2-3 days now.

Good phone. Butter smooth running on JB 4.2

It looks very premium. Screen size is just perfect for one hand operation.

Some niggles i've faced are:

1. GPS never locks your position. Never.
2. Voice quality is not good compared to my previous samsung phones.
3. Camera takes a fraction of second more while clicking pics with flash on. The quality of pics are OK.
4. Internal memory available is very low(appx. 2.4 GB). Also, the phone will not update unless you have installed external sd card.

Overall, a great phone. Depends on your usage. I don't play many games, but the couple of games i've installed were running v. smoothly. It does not comes pre-installed with any office application (Polaris office or MS office), but there are good free apps available on play store. Push mail option is not available. But what i liked was the green led light which blinks on top right side whenever you receive a mail or sms.

A good budget phone. I bought it from Indiatimes shopping for 8.4k. I was apprehensive a bit in the beginning about shopping experience with Indiatimes. Since the value was not very high, I decided to take the risk, and I am surprised to say it was a very pleasing experience. I received proper follow-up on mail & sms, and received the product 5-6 days after placing the order.

Let me know if you require any further information.

Last edited by racingmachine : 27th June 2013 at 09:57. Reason: typo

Most Viewed