Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2014, 23:46   #19846
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Thad,

http://www.flipkart.com/htc-desire-8...BEFQEAUXNYFYRC the old 816 is good enough. You need more RAM first. 1.5 GB > 1 GB esp for sense like ROMs that are rich in feel but consequently heavy.
Old 22nd November 2014, 23:48   #19847
Distinguished - BHPian

How about Sony? I have been fancying Sony Xperia for some time, because of the use-in-the-rain thing. Would the Xperia ZR be a good buy at just under 20K? Or the Z1-Compact at about 30K?

Another thing is she doesn't want to go bigger than 4 or 4-point something inches, and she also prefers light-weight.

20K, even, is a lot to spend on a phone, and an awful lot to spend on something that might get dropped down a drain

<corssposted: thanks phamilyman>

Latest model is not a requirement, for either of us.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 22nd November 2014 at 23:49.
Old 23rd November 2014, 00:13   #19848
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How about Sony? I have been fancying Sony Xperia for some time, because of the use-in-the-rain thing. Would the Xperia ZR be a good buy at just under 20K? Or the Z1-Compact at about 30K?
I have been using the ZR for almost 2 years. Amazing phone at a very good price. There have been reports about it getting heated, with workloads. I am not an on-line streaming person. Hence cant comment on that. (Though I do notice occasional heating). For personal and official requirements it works perfectly well. And the camera is a gem.
Old 23rd November 2014, 00:16   #19849
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Thad,

http://www.flipkart.com/htc-desire-8...BEFQEAUXNYFYRC the old 816 is good enough. You need more RAM first. 1.5 GB > 1 GB esp for sense like ROMs that are rich in feel but consequently heavy.
Desire 820 is a grand more than 816 and for that you get 2GB RAM, 16GB storage and a new generation A53 processor. Doesn't the 820 make more sense.

Then you have the cheaper 820q @ 20K as an option as well.
Old 23rd November 2014, 00:47   #19850
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks ampere and Vid6639.

By the way, is Nokia/Lumia ruled out? I certainly wouldn't want a Windows phone, but I'm not Mrs G!

820 v 820Q v 816...
Old 23rd November 2014, 07:10   #19851
Team-BHP Support

Lumia will prove to be more hardy and applications, which sometimes hang up on Android will work flawlessly on Lumia.

I do not seem to find any update on MX Player. There was some codev version, but after installing, I don't even see it.
Old 23rd November 2014, 08:21   #19852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Desire 820 is a grand more than 816 and for that you get 2GB RAM, 16GB storage and a new generation A53 processor. Doesn't the 820 make more sense.

Then you have the cheaper 820q @ 20K as an option as well.
oh that's important. TEG - take note. Shoddy online sellers may confuse you here. HTC have everything from the top of the line processors to the same mediatek which powers Rs 6k android one phones (in a 20k device!). I myself got stumped by 820q and 816g and whatnot.

Quote:

Another thing is she doesn't want to go bigger than 4 or 4-point something inches, and she also prefers light-weight.

20K, even, is a lot to spend on a phone, and an awful lot to spend on something that might get dropped down a drain

<corssposted: thanks phamilyman>

Latest model is not a requirement, for either of us.
But seriously - why NOT the Redmi? Heck, I'll take time out and buy one across for you (but on COD!!) It is an extremely decent phone for the price and does exactly what you need it to do. Many folks in my family have it - including parents (and not necessarily 20 something youngsters).

This rain stuff is a good to have. Except you shouldnt abuse it. A friend got addicted to taking photos on the beach with his Xperia Z and one day he tried it out in a swimming pool and the damn thing just gave up because the seals had become loose.
Old 23rd November 2014, 08:27   #19853
Senior - BHPian

Finally, I have figured out how to get good battery backup with Lollipop on my Nexus 5.
My phone lasted a full day and half with 3 hrs of screen on time.

Location is set to device only.
WiFi scanning is set to OFF
Disabled Google Fit app

But if you use the camera a lot , make sure that remember location is set to OFF or switch the location mode to Battery saving before using the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1416711328607.jpg  

Old 23rd November 2014, 09:51   #19854
BANNED

My wife's htc I think Desire) is now 1-3/4 years old and is on Gingerbread. I am sure I will have to upgrade it soon. I will be looking for a mid-range mid size phone.
Old 23rd November 2014, 10:52   #19855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I have purchased Spice Dream Uno for my wife, a month back. I will sum it up in one line - Android One is a poor man's Nexus.

Rohan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
You've chosen the best looking Android One phone of the lot, the Spice Uno. The Android One phones are decent devices (from what I gathered fiddling with all three brand devices at a marketing event) , but don't offer any "oomph" neither in the camera section nor in the design section. If I were you, I'd buy the Redmi eyes closed - it's a great VFM phone, but if you're looking for stock android experience (without investing time in rooting or flashing), you could go for the Android One devices.

Another option is the Huawei Honor Holly at 6999, but it has a 5" screen.
Picked up the Spice Android One a week ago and what a phone for the price! And amazing delivery time from Flipkart. Ordered at 8:30pm and was delivered by 10am next day!

Super smooth phone. Wife was using iPhone 3GS for about 5 years and this was an excellent jump. I am still stuck to Galaxy S2 so its a bit hard to put the Spice phone down for me too.

Thanks to both for your reviews on the device. Will be buying another one for my mom soon (and perhaps one more for my cousin).

Cheers!

P
Old 23rd November 2014, 15:55   #19856
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Lumia will prove to be more hardy and applications, which sometimes hang up on Android will work flawlessly on Lumia.
Thanks. Of course, I am forgetting, this is the Android thread <Blush>

Mrs G has a Nokia contact who owes a favour, so discount should be available, but that contact could probably swing an extra discount on other brands too, so it doesn't clinch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
oh that's important. TEG - take note. Shoddy online sellers may confuse you here. HTC have everything from the top of the line processors to the same mediatek which powers Rs 6k android one phones (in a 20k device!). I myself got stumped by 820q and 816g and whatnot.
So the 820Q is not really what it seems?

Quote:
But seriously - why NOT the Redmi? Heck, I'll take time out and buy one across for you (but on COD!!) It is an extremely decent phone for the price and does exactly what you need it to do. Many folks in my family have it - including parents (and not necessarily 20 something youngsters).

This rain stuff is a good to have. Except you shouldnt abuse it. A friend got addicted to taking photos on the beach with his Xperia Z and one day he tried it out in a swimming pool and the damn thing just gave up because the seals had become loose.
Just not being killed by a few rain drops or a quick dip in a puddle is enough for us: we don't swim, and I haven't sailed for decades. The phone is never going to snorkel --- or not intentionally anyway!

Why not Redmi? Hmmm.... How's the camera?

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 23rd November 2014 at 15:56.
Old 23rd November 2014, 21:18   #19857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Actually you are right. The Moto X has a decent camera but it's priced at 32K. For a flagship phone the camera is not great.
I'm suggesting the 1st gen MotoX that is now available for around 18k on Flipkart. Great value,IMO.

Thad, the Redmi 1s has an OK camera, not great. Low light shots are poor.Given that you want a phone with decent camera,you should look at other phones.

Last edited by hellmet : 23rd November 2014 at 21:22.
Old 23rd November 2014, 22:58   #19858
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks. I think that Mrs G will want to take a lot of indoor, people pics. Has to do fairly decent mid-light, if not low-light, stuff.
Old 23rd November 2014, 23:39   #19859
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I think that Mrs G will want to take a lot of indoor, people pics. Has to do fairly decent mid-light, if not low-light, stuff.
Do look at Asus Zenfone 5. Apart from a good phone it's pixel master camera, I had read, had good low light reviews, just the battery issue of one day on average use.
Old 24th November 2014, 07:48   #19860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
And MX player update appears on the playstore. Please update.

OTA updates are the norm now, and even Apple with its tightly controlled rollouts in a closed ecosystem has issues. Calling someone unfortunate to be facing issues a 'fanboy' and dissing media reports is maybe uncalled for.

That said the new notification system and beauty of Lollipop Material design are a pleasure on the right hardware.
It was just quirky humour. No wrong intentions. The mxplayer works like a charm it always was.
BTW, me and my friend found a few bugs with the 5.0 ourselves.

1. The 'pin' an app feature sometimes is reluctant to unpin the app. The phone has to be restarted to make it right.
2. While connected to WiFi if you move out of the zone, the mobile data doesn't turn on automatically. We had to put the phone to the air plane mode and back to get this sorted.

Again, these issues were faced on one of the handsets. Mine, I have no problems yet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks