Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2015, 14:09   #20971
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Hi guys, I've got to replace my Karbonn Titanium S5, it lags quite alot.

I've got a Redmi 2 in my cart on FK. I thought it'll have 2GB RAM, but just came to know it just has just 1GB.

Both my old phone & Redmi2 has a Processor clocked at 1.2GHz, the redmi one is from Snapdragon though.

My primary phone is a Xiaomi Mi3, this'll be my secondary phone. Any clue if its worth it to go ahead for the phone...? What do you'll think ?

Edit : Bought it, let's see. I'll sell it off if I don't like it.

Would still appreciate any suggestions though

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 24th March 2015 at 14:25.
Old 24th March 2015, 14:41   #20972
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
..but I don't really trust the manufacturer numbers...
Well, manufacturer declared values are the only values you can get.
If I understand correctly, the manufacturers are supposed to get the device SAR certified by any authorized labs, and declare the same.
Now I dont think the labs themselves publish these info. Even if they do, unless you know which lab has tested which model, I am not sure if you will get the info (as i said that is if they publish these result results).
Now, as long as the sar values are under prescribed limits, it is legal to sell them, and most reputed manufacturer would obviously keep the max limit in mind while designing a phone. So, I dont know why any major manufacturer would lie about their sar ratings as long as it is within prescribed limits. They will unnecessarily wind up in legal complications. You see most people dont bother about sar values. A case is point is iphone, which has comparatively higher sar ratings than samsung and many other android phones or even nokia (before it was microsoft devices), but iphone sells like crazy.
Now what I said above is of reputed tier-1 manufacturers, I dont know how honest the new Chinese manufacturers are in reporting sar values.

disclaimer: the above mentioned is my understanding of the sar certification procedure based on articles online.
Old 24th March 2015, 15:34   #20973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
I have ola app in my gen1 moto g. No issues whatsoever. I don't have any anti viruses installed. Try disabling it.
Thanks for your response. I disabled the AV but still the issue persists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Did you clear app data between uninstall/re-install? Clear app data both in app manager and delete any leftover folders manually after uninstalling (using your file manager), then re-install. Worth a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Apart from disabling anti virus (rather I believe there is no need of anti virus in Linux base systems unless some suspicious websites are visited frequently or infected data is accessed in the phone) also try to clean the cache and data of the OLA app from 'app info'.
Thanks, Chetan and tbppjpr. Did this but the issue still persists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Got a screenshot to share? That would help us diagnose better.
Sure, will do. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
You can also try enabling GPS/ location reporting before starting the Ola app. It hangs sometimes on my Moto G 1st gen, either because the GPS is not on, or data is not working.
Did this too, same issue persists. I've given up now and deleted the app. Problem reported to Ola but no response from them. Expected
Old 24th March 2015, 16:18   #20974
BANNED

Seems that globally Samsung & Apple may get into a price war on Amazon. Let us hope this happens in India as well.
Old 24th March 2015, 17:59   #20975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Well, manufacturer declared values are the only values you can get.
If I understand correctly, the manufacturers are supposed to get the device SAR certified by any authorized labs, and declare the same.
Now I dont think the labs themselves publish these info. Even if they do, unless you know which lab has tested which model, I am not sure if you will get the info (as i said that is if they publish these result results).

Now what I said above is of reputed tier-1 manufacturers, I dont know how honest the new Chinese manufacturers are in reporting sar values.
I understand the manufacturer testing and all. What I am trying to find is, are there any independent companies that benchmark the radiation values similar to the performance benchmark tests.

And how much trust can we place on Oneplus.
https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/s...agships.30899/
Old 24th March 2015, 20:21   #20976
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
And how much trust can we place on Oneplus.
Of course we cannot trust the forums.
as I said, your best bet is the information that is provided by the manufacturer.
in case of oneplus one here: https://oneplus.net/in/one#specifications
Old 24th March 2015, 20:25   #20977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Hi guys, I've got to replace my Karbonn Titanium S5, it lags quite alot.

I've got a Redmi 2 in my cart on FK. I thought it'll have 2GB RAM, but just came to know it just has just 1GB.

Both my old phone & Redmi2 has a Processor clocked at 1.2GHz, the redmi one is from Snapdragon though.

My primary phone is a Xiaomi Mi3, this'll be my secondary phone. Any clue if its worth it to go ahead for the phone...? What do you'll think ?

Edit : Bought it, let's see. I'll sell it off if I don't like it.

Would still appreciate any suggestions though
Zenfone 5 was for 8000. I think that's an all around better phone than the Redmi2.
Old 24th March 2015, 20:57   #20978
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Did this too, same issue persists. I've given up now and deleted the app. Problem reported to Ola but no response from them. Expected
Uninstall and delete Ola and instead use Uber

There was a blog article few days back that one guy accessed their entire system and was able to book a cab as well as load money without paying. He reported to Ola and they didn't bother. The entire transaction of loading money was unsecure and was visible. That's just not done. God know what else that app must be doing in background.
Old 24th March 2015, 23:12   #20979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Uninstall and delete Ola and instead use Uber
+1
The ola app and the customer care is useless. When I enter my mobile number in the ola app, it says already registered. Customer care now wants me to send a screenshot of the error as if I am telling a lie
Old 25th March 2015, 00:25   #20980
Team-BHP Support

After two years, I may be coming back to Android. My Lumia 720 is working fine, I really have no complaint. But recently I am getting a bit tired of App famine. I can't use Uber, their silly Windows App doesn't support paytm. My new camera can be remote controlled from smartphone, but not from windows phone. There are couple company apps that I can't load on windows phone. Recently my Hyundai dealer released an app and you guessed it, not for windows phone.

Therefore, I am missing out on several things thanks to lack of app support for windows phone. So I am open to similar sized android phone priced below 15K. Would have considered iPhone too, but for their ludicrous price.

Verily, the android phone market has undergone a humongous change in the last two years. The price segment I am looking at is choked with phablets. But my hand hasn't grown bigger in these two years. I still need a phone with roughly 4-4.5 inch display. Even dual core phone will do, my needs are quite simple. What are my choices? I hardly see any smaller phones under 15k.
Old 25th March 2015, 04:10   #20981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
After two years, I may be coming back to Android. My Lumia 720 is working fine, I really have no complaint. But recently I am getting a bit tired of App famine. I can't use Uber, their silly Windows App doesn't support paytm. My new camera can be remote controlled from smartphone, but not from windows phone. There are couple company apps that I can't load on windows phone. Recently my Hyundai dealer released an app and you guessed it, not for windows phone.

Therefore, I am missing out on several things thanks to lack of app support for windows phone. So I am open to similar sized android phone priced below 15K. Would have considered iPhone too, but for their ludicrous price.

Verily, the android phone market has undergone a humongous change in the last two years. The price segment I am looking at is choked with phablets. But my hand hasn't grown bigger in these two years. I still need a phone with roughly 4-4.5 inch display. Even dual core phone will do, my needs are quite simple. What are my choices? I hardly see any smaller phones under 15k.
Moto e 4.3,4.5, Asus Zen phone 4,4.5, xiaomi redmi2, Take your pick.

If you can do without the play store and sideload apps, Nokia x2 is a good fit. I use it. Bought it mainly for the size. 4.3
Old 25th March 2015, 09:15   #20982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You can take a look at the Samsung Galaxy S4 at 17k. A very neat phone that can still be considered as a worthy one inspite of being nearly 2 years old. And just 2k over the desired budget.
Old 25th March 2015, 09:21   #20983
BANNED

The only issue I have with older units (unless thy carry the Nexus tag) is that upgrades may cease quite soon. So unless you go out the the Google umbrella (say CM, MIUI or something) you may be stuck with the old OS.
Old 25th March 2015, 09:37   #20984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am open to similar sized android phone priced below 15K.
Samsung Galaxy S3 Neo. Costs ~12k, screen size is in the same ballpark (4.8 inch).

It is a pretty good phone if you are okay with spending 3 - 4 hours in removing Samsung bloatware that comes pre-installed.
Old 25th March 2015, 09:51   #20985
BHPian

Quote:

I am going through the same phase at the moment. MY Lumia 925 lacks all the apps I need, including team-bhp. But I don't want to throw such a beautiful device, and then the camera. So I carry an old Galaxy S3 in the other pocket, rooted running barebones lollipop. Phone calls, photography, whatsapp, FK etc - Lumia. Facebook, Maps, chrome, forums, etc - S3. Best of both the worlds.

Coming to your question: Galaxy A3? 4.5", AMOLED, qHD, selling at 16K at the moment in Flipkart.

Last edited by blacksport : 25th March 2015 at 10:00.

Most Viewed