Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2015, 13:07   #21316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

What's the best android phone with screen size <= 5 inch?
I am looking for a good camera and good audio output and as closer to stock android as possible.

Budget is not a constraint as such. I can go up to 35K
Old 25th May 2015, 13:10   #21317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I am looking for a good camera and good audio output and as closer to stock android as possible.

I read in the newspaper that MotoX 2014 costs 21999 on flipkart. Am sure it will meet all your expectations except that screen is 5.2".
Old 25th May 2015, 13:33   #21318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookieraj View Post
My wife has been using the Mi Pad for precisely the same purposes for more than a week now. I find it to be value for money. Good build, long lasting battery and an uncomplicated user interface. The display is amazing. The back cover is a little slippery so it needs to be handled carefully. I have faced none of the unresponsive touch key/intermittent shutdown/heating issues that some customers have complained of.

I also bought a ProElite 360 degree rotating cover for the Mi Pad from the manufacturer's website where it was listed at a much cheaper price than at Amazon or Flipkart.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the review! I have shortlisted this precisely for the screen - amazing resolution for the price. I am thinking of buying it before tomorrow - with the FK Axis scheme it would come out to ~11700.
Old 25th May 2015, 14:04   #21319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
I read in the newspaper that MotoX 2014 costs 21999 on flipkart. Am sure it will meet all your expectations except that screen is 5.2".
I have seen it..its a tad too big.
Currently, I use the Moto X 1st gen. It's a superb phone except the camera.
Moto X 2nd gen has a better camera but nowhere close to the ones from Samsung/LG etc
Old 26th May 2015, 02:41   #21320
Senior - BHPian

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

Old 26th May 2015, 15:44   #21321
Distinguished - BHPian

The wife has a shiny new toy, and despite the fact that my nervous system is not phone-linked, nor does my blood flow, through tubes, to the device (actually, my social life would be barely affected with no phone at all, but I must be fair and say that she does not spend all day on various internet fora!) the husband wants one too.

The wife's new toy is the Samsung E5. The husband is wondering about the Mi 4i. This budget phone is actually just a little bit more expensive that her Samsung: Is it worth it? EDIT: my mistake, it is much cheaper, 12,999 at Flipkart: about 4K cheaper!*

One thing that I like about the Mi, is that, being MIUI, a rooted-by-default rom will be (but not quite yet) available from the company, and they proclaim that rooting your phone is fine by them, and they will even re-flash it if one does end up with a paperweight. I'd very much like to be able to root my phone without waiting for the warranty to expire.

One bad thing: it has no sd-card expansion. I don't like that, but the reality is that I do not carry music or pics or movies around with me: for media I am going to use the tablet.

Another good thing: 4G capability. Not so much for now (although it might be nice for my month in UK), but it is a future-proofing feature.

I do not want anything bigger. My hands are quite small, and it has to slip into a shirt pocket without waving its presence to the world. I think 5-inch is my maximum comfortable size unless its a tablet. Actually, much bigger than that and I might as well use the [7-inch] tablet!

*Whoa! I am useless at remembering numbers: 4K cheaper than the Samsung is really a lot, and probably clinches it for me, unless anyone has any don't-by-the-4i reasons?

Another edit: Is this online only? Can I buy it over the counter anywhere?

~

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 26th May 2015 at 15:54. Reason: Keep thinking of corrections and more stuff!
Old 26th May 2015, 18:21   #21322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The wife has a shiny new toy, and despite the fact that my nervous system is not phone-linked, nor does my blood flow, through tubes, to the device (actually, my social life would be barely affected with no phone at all, but I must be fair and say that she does not spend all day on various internet fora!) the husband wants one too.
Do look at Meizu M1 note too. I am enjoying android on the iPhone 5c clone.

Last edited by ampere : 26th May 2015 at 20:03. Reason: Removed the full post quoted. Please avoid the same.
Old 26th May 2015, 18:46   #21323
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that it is too big for me, and not immediately available.

It isn't just new-and-shiny disease with want-it-now complications that has got to me: more often than not, the voice on my defy+ is distorted, and I doubt that it is worth spending money on.

(Oh, I see: it is an Amazon exclusive --- but one of these register, wait, and see deals. I'm really not keen on them.)

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 26th May 2015 at 18:49.
Old 26th May 2015, 19:46   #21324

Guys I am planning to go for Yu Yureka. I've heard that the battery drains quickly and also that the phone gets heated up while browsing and playing games. Heard from a friend that an update has been released to sort out these problems, can anyone using the phone confirm? thank you.
Old 26th May 2015, 19:49   #21325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
This is a good suggestion.

I wonder if there are other decent speced phones in the sub-5" size.

My BIL is also looking for something that is close to his current iPhone 5s in terms of dimensions.
He is not happy with his iPhone 5s - states that it hangs many times and people are not able to reach him at times, though he is able to make outgoing calls.
Old 26th May 2015, 20:04   #21326
BANNED

My wife's htc Desire (US spec) just packed up. The unit was getting hot for two days, and just gave up cold turkey. My son is getting a Motorola G2 which we hope to switch to. We shall be with them on Saturday, and will then play along.
Old 26th May 2015, 21:21   #21327

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
My wife's htc Desire (US spec) just packed up. The unit was getting hot for two days, and just gave up cold turkey. My son is getting a Motorola G2 which we hope to switch to. We shall be with them on Saturday, and will then play along.
A moto g gen 2, good choice. But I suggest to get a new 1 amp charger instead of using the stock 0.5A charger. It takes forever to charge it with the stock charger.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th May 2015 at 21:32. Reason: 500 amp > 0.5 A. Plus spaces before punctuation marks isn't needed. Thanks!
Old 26th May 2015, 21:35   #21328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think that it is too big for me, and not immediately available.

It isn't just new-and-shiny disease with want-it-now complications that has got to me: more often than not, the voice on my defy+ is distorted, and I doubt that it is worth spending money on.

(Oh, I see: it is an Amazon exclusive --- but one of these register, wait, and see deals. I'm really not keen on them.)
Get the mi4i. I have used it in person and the awesome lag free behavior (get a rubber case asap) is to be seen to be believed! The size is just right, unlike the 5.5"+ monsters these days.

If you want, I can help you try in the sale next week!
Old 26th May 2015, 21:35   #21329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

*Whoa! I am useless at remembering numbers: 4K cheaper than the Samsung is really a lot, and probably clinches it for me, unless anyone has any don't-by-the-4i reasons?

Another edit: Is this online only? Can I buy it over the counter anywhere?

~
Lack of expandable memory seems to be the only reason to not buy Mi4i. It does support USB on the go, so you may carry your media on a pen drive whenever required.

If you are not in a hurry, do wait for some time. They may launch a 32 or 64 GB variant based on customer and reviewer feedback. (Same thing has happened for the Mi4)

"Mi phones are exclusively available on flipkart."

http://www.flipkart.com/mi

Rohan
Old 26th May 2015, 21:36   #21330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
This is a good suggestion.

I wonder if there are other decent speced phones in the sub-5" size.

My BIL is also looking for something that is close to his current iPhone 5s in terms of dimensions.
He is not happy with his iPhone 5s - states that it hangs many times and people are not able to reach him at times, though he is able to make outgoing calls.
The Z3 compact is the only option available for a premium sub 5 inch phone.. I am surprised that no manufacturer is trying to tap this market. If Apple can sell millions on sub-5 inch phones at pretty steep prices, don't the others realize that there is a big market for that?

I hope Samsung comes up with the S6 mini and do not under spec it like previous gen minis

Most Viewed